Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - if you watch the race on the BBC iPlayer there's quite a lot of coverage of her running.  She looked to be running comfortably and there was a fair bit of commentary about her too. Well deserved recognition.

Glad the foot was OK.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Hello all. Went out for my second ever 20 miler today through my usual route around Richmond park and Wimbledon common. Nice and slow at 10:06min/mi though the last 5 miles were closer to 10:20-11 as the legs felt the effect of not having a long run last weekend due to the half (I think that was the reason anyway). As I got home I checked my Garmin which said the run was ‘unproductive’ and docked me a point off my Vo2max, I almost chucked the bloody thing out the window! 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - well done on your 20 miles today.

Perhaps turn off those very unhelpful notifications on your Garmin, remember the software isn't written by runners.  Don't worry about the VO2 either you weren't doing a run that should show a VO2 score that would be meaningful.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Thanks Shades. Yeah I tend to ignore it on a workout to workout basis for things like load and Vo2max as long as the longer term trend is ok. It was just an irritating end to a nice run!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    LDWA Hannington Hike today, which I was walking with a friend (a keen walker).

I was really unsure what to wear but opted for running leggings, gaiters and boots on the bottom half, and t-shirt, long sleeved shirt and waterproof jacket on the top half. I had waterproof trousers in my bag, but didn’t need them - we were incredibly lucky with the weather as it didn’t rain all day, and I was happy with my choice of clothes all day. It was good the leggings got an outing though, as I never usually wear them.

There were 3 distances, with the advertised 27-miler being the longest on offer, and the walkers set off at 8am with runners/fast walkers plus the shorter distance setting off half an hour later.

We obviously knew it had been raining a lot the last few weeks and the briefing at the start told us to expect lots of mud - and indeed there was a huge amount. Our course was a figure-of-eight which meant  we did one 3-mile section twice (and the same building was used for CP2 and 3), and this section was amongst the worst underfoot - typical!  My mate is a strong walker but we were both struggling a fair bit due to the conditions underfoot, which made it very tiring day out.  Mixture of thick gloop, slippery mud, ankle deep puddles made it hard going. We were very thankful it wasn’t raining though.

The course itself was very picturesque, and pretty flat really (1300ft) but with a few wrong turns we clocked up nearer 28.5 miles. I had a bit of a low point either side of CP3 (the last CP), but got a bit of a second wind at 23 miles and as from the written instructions we knew we were over distance, the ‘bonus’ 1.5 miles didn’t come as too much of a shock.

We got it done in 8:48 which we were pretty pleased with in the end. Garmin lasted that long too, which I wasn’t sure if it would. 

I seem to have come out of it without any injuries although I’ve got a blister which isn’t ideal. My boots are decent, waterproof, Gor Tex ones but if the mud/gloop/water comes in over the top (despite the gaiters) there’s not a lot that can be done. I did have a change of socks and maybe I should have used them, but we both wanted to push on and not loiter too long at the CPs.

At the end we got a certificate with our times and a choice of a patch or badge - I went for the patch.

We had an enjoyable day out and of course the LDWA food on offer was very good, plus there was a meal at the finish. My favourite this time?  Cheese and strawberry jam sarnies 😀.  £12 made it good value.....

....but having said that, on Friday and on a whim, I booked an extra night at the Premier Inn and I’m glad I did. A bit extravagant I suppose but I just didn’t think I’d fancy the long drive back after 9hrs on my feet (the longest I’ve ever been moving for) and indeed that is the case!

Walking is just so much different to running. My mate was wondering if I was wishing I was running, but it wasn’t that. I’d decided to walk it, and I was fine with that decision but it feels a different kind of tired,  it helped by the energy-sapping mud. He’s got 80k and 100k walks very soon, and he’s eyeing up a 100 miler. He invited me along to any/all of these but I politely declined. 
  • Decided to step away from the forum for a week in the lead up to today. Did keep an eye on your results last week, just didn't get round to post.

Big G well done last weekend, can't always guarantee a decent nights sleep but a decent result given the type of events.  Not sure how people do multi day events on that route though.

Ian, sorry you didn't get the result you wanted especially as you refrained from pre match beers! 

Cal defo recommend a half, headwinds are a monster, we've talked about how much they take out of you and when you're racing it's multiplies.  3 years ago I had an awful half marathon in my lead up and then had a reasonable marathon at MK.

Steve great race, saw on Strava an epic event.

Last week did my xc race, was a good experience and tough as I'd expect it to be, I'm not fit and not been looking after myself but a good social experience and nice to wear the club vest and represent them again.  

....... forward a week

Cal so sorry to year of the financial loss for Tokyo, one of my best running pals pays the charity for the target they want so he basically buys a place, non refundable flights and accommodation £2.2k down.  Most frustrating part is you can't do anything about it.

Shades, I don't think UKA or MO

Rcouture i have never bothered taking any notice of my watch, well done on the 20, they aren't so bad afterall.

Big G well done today, have fancied dipping my toe in for the odd LDWA as well looked after and low cost.

• Not a great week for me, 6 miles on wednesday before London for an afternoon tea and only fools musical on wednesday (highly recommend if you're a fan, it was amazing.... lovely jubbly) I felt tired sick and concerned about todays race. 

Tailwalked parkrun yesterday, pretty grim conditions and felt shattered yesterday afternoon, not idea prep for todays run.

I stayed away from the forum as wanted to 100% make my own mind up for today's Cambridge Boundary Run distance of half/ marathon.  The brain said half and the heart said full.

Woke up 6am (well cats woke me u before), picked up by clubmate at 7am and arrived at the race HQ at 8am, had a chat with a few of Colin's aspiring 100 club pals before the start.  

I decided to start off steady as wanted to give the full option it's best chance.  I decided after 4 miles it was only the half but stayed steady.  Had a few mates who were always within 200m of me but didn't fancy chatting (or have the energy).  Told them at the checkpoint i'll be stopping at the half.  Kept a even pace throughout if anything sped up towards the end.  Finished in 2.10ish

So many positives longest distance since fall, (i'd only done 4 runs of 13 miles or longer in last 15 months), if I had finished the marathon it may have been painful and not enjoyable.  Also I'd feel I'd cheated the system as not put the miles in.

Now looking for a marathon in the next 4-6 weeks. 
  • Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Evening folks..
    Hope you’ve all had a good weekend. 
    Robert - well done on your half specially if you hadn’t done a huge amount of training.

On Saturday I ran the Leap Year Challenge, held at bettshanger country park. The weather was windy, rainy and sunny all in one go and the ground was very muddy. 
    I was standing at the start line, thinking “WTF are we doing”. And once the race was started, i put my head down and tried to ignore the conditions. But to no avail. I struggled through the first 4.22 mile lap and realised it was going to be a tough day at the office.. 

I shufffled my way through the mud and puddles and completed the second lap and was ready to throw in the towel but my OH kicked me out the aid station and told me to get back out there. Which I did. 

Laps 3,4 and 5 were hard. The wind would catch us from all angles no matter which way we turned and at the end of lap 5, the hail came down and it was like little needles pricking your skin.. 

My plan was 50k but at the start of my marathon lap, i had made the decision that i was going to finish at the end of this lap. I managed to run the last lap fairly strongly because i knew it was my last.. I crossed the line and was overjoyed and so happy that it was over.. my time was 04:14:04 and marathon #48 completed.. 

My next event is with Saturn running “pokerun” which is a Pokemon themed run in aid of a friends channel swim attempt.. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Rob, that's a great comeback half - sounds like you paced it right. Probably sensible not doing the full, even if your heart wanted to. You'll get back there, and more.

Iain, watch out for Snorlax eh?

Big G - I remember have cheese on toast with jam at uni - it wasn't at all bad!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - sounds like a tough but enjoyable day.   Good idea to book hotel for post race too as it would have been a very long and even more tiring day.   The bargain entry fee including meal makes up for booking an extra night.
    If your friend tries to tempt you with the 100 miler you can quite rightly decline as LDWA require you to have a 50 miler completed first as a qualifying event.  ;) 

Robert - sorry to hear that you had a tricky time last week with your first event coming up an not looking forward to it at all.   I did wonder if that's why you were quiet and deliberately didn't comment or remind anyone of your race.

Despite your trepidation you had a great run, and good pacing and a very reasonable time so I hope you are pleased.   There was nothing to be gained by slogging out the longer option yesterday so I think you made the right choice.

Iain - congratulations on number 48.   It seems ages since you had good conditions for any of your events, you always seem to be battling the wind and the mud.

8 miles for me this morning, legs felt refreshed after my impromptu day's rest yesterday.   Good weather but chilly with a sharp breeze in places.   

Unfortunately I have picked up an niggle from the gym last Thursday, upper body, have tweaked a muscle/nerve in chest/shoulder area.   It eased off on Saturday but has come back now and I did my Core Tabata this morning before my run and I think I made it worse.   Good news is that it doesn't stop me running but think I'll have to skip classes and gym maybe for the whole week.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done Iain. I was wondering how many you’d done. You’re certainly racking them up.

Well done Robert. You’re well on your way now. The fact the Half felt comfortable is a great sign - as you say lack of miles may have made the marathon very hard work so good decision.

Sorry to hear about your injury Shades. Good news you can still run though.

Wasn’t entirely sure whether to do a recovery run because of blisters but after a walk around the hotel room felt I could go out for 3-miles with the plan of just binning the run if I felt I should. Managed the 3 miles kind of ok, although ankles sore (not injured, just sore) from the terrain yesterday. Hoping everything settles down for the weekend. 
  • Robert OHaraRobert OHara ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

Iain well done on 48, What are Saturn running like for their events, they have put an event on close to my way recently (lea Valley Water centre).  Wasn't quite ready to run anything decent on 1st Feb nor did I fancy the theme Queen.

Cheers Cal, have you managed to find another half before Manchster?

Shades, hope the injury heals, sure you'll be sensible also thanks for not mentioning the event, 4 miles in and it felt a bit of a slog I was battling with myself what to do.  100% right decision and no regrets, all moving forward in the right direction.

Big G, well done on getting out for the recovery run, hope your feet mend soon!

Feels like I ran a marathon yesterday, but have taken to the internet and considering booking something last minute just to get the monkey off my back, am considering Peterborough Marathon or a low key up and down the Thames.  Saturday is my 10th anniversary since my 1st race, there are a few races but staying sensible and refraining from them.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, funny you should say that about 10th anniversary. I’d been running off and on for a few years, but London 2010 was my first marathon. 5hr15 of misery, and at the time it was a ‘never again’ moment. A goal of mine is to get under 3:15 partly as I like the sound of knocking two hours off my first time. 

My old secondary school, Churston, has closed because of the virus. I’m really wondering if Manchester will go ahead - hotel is refundable but I’ll lose the flights. I’ve arranged to see friends up there but if it’s cancelled I may not go and try and get a place in Taunton (a much smaller event, so I suppose less likely to be cancelled) instead. There’s still 5 weeks to go yet though. 
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Big G - Sounds like a long day out, well done.
    Shades - you have done great on the weight loss, which I'm sure will result in good race results.
    Rob - Brilliant running in your comeback off not much training.
    Iain - congrats on number 48.
    Cal - Nice course PB.
    Big G / Shades - I tend to weigh myself every Saturday after my long run just to make sure I'm maintaining.
    I had the big 20 miler with 14 at MP on Saturday, MP came out to just under 7:00 min/miles (so 3:02/3 pace), so happy with that as a solo effort with no breakfast. Sunday was an easy 12 miler followed by kettlebells. Then rushed around like a lunatic getting ready to catch a train to Wembley!! That finished off a 71 mile week and 260 miles for Feb.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - glad you managed a recovery run before your long drive home.   I used to get sore ankles after off road events due to the uneven surface.   I think you'll find you'll recover very quickly.

I wonder if Churston school has closed due to a recent skiing trip to Italy?   Looks like the virus is going to spread now.   There's been talk about the larger sporting events being cancelled.   Depending on the half marathon entries event Taunton might be vulnerable as they have a licence for 1500 for the half and 300 for the marathon, but I just looked and so far 590 entries for the half and 158 for the full.  I heard the figure of 1,000 bandied about on the news programmes but that was speculation.

Robert - that's good that you're looking ahead for a suitable marathon.   I quite fancied Peterborough and pondered over it but decided I wouldn't this year.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - xpost.   That's a good time to weigh yourself as you'd probably be at the same level of dehydration each week from your long run.   

That's a great pace for your long run and another good week's training too.
  • Cozy1504Cozy1504 ✭✭✭

I managed my 10 miles on Saturday pre babys christening!

I checked on my half this morning as I don't have my race pack and realised my dates are wrong, it's actually a week on Sunday! This is a bit rubbish as I have my friends engagement party the night before, not to worry, will save me some money being on the diet Irn Bru! I would like to get my PB so want to be as fresh as possible.

• Robert OHaraRobert OHara ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

Big G, my 1st race was MK half, no watch thought I'd go sub 2, turned the corner to see finishing clock at 1.35 and got 1.34.47!  All been downhill since with a few peaks.  I did consider Taunton too but 3.5 hour drive, don't fancy that after.

Steve great week of training, well done on that long run.

Cozy, may not want too much fizz in your belly before running a half.

I'm considering a local half now in a couple of weeks, have a free place as I marshaled at a couple of their events.  My own breaking 2 project.

• Cozy1504Cozy1504 ✭✭✭

Good point Robert! The reality is I'll probably only go for a wee bit and head home!

I didn't see all the posts when I posted my initial 10 miler from the weekend! I thought it seemed very quiet!

Well done all on your runs/walks this weekend, some epic efforts as always!

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cozy - new shoes OK?   And has your foot ache gone now?

Just as well you checked the race date ;) 

Robert - I like Taunton marathon but it's 2 laps and very lonely on the 2nd lap.

It will be 25 years on April 2nd since I ran my first, and what was to be my only, marathon.  :) 

I see Paris half marathon was cancelled yesterday, cancelled at one day's notice, so after many had already travelled to Paris and collected their race packs, that's madness cancelling that late.
  • Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Cal Jones said:

Iain, watch out for Snorlax eh?

Cal - the medal has 4 pokemon on it,  Charmander, Umbreon, Nidoran and Turtwig. I'll leave it upto you as to  what it spells out but it's a not such nice word but my friends favourite one.. RD's idea..

I did my recovery run lay night and it was such hard work.  Legs didn't want to cooperate and it took 3 miles before they felt more normal. Just short of 7 miles was enough. Hopefully go for a swim today..
  • Cozy1504Cozy1504 ✭✭✭

Shades - they look great, and foot ache gone.

I'm not too sure yet on them, I felt a bit sluggish when I was out but I was feeling a bit stressed about christening and getting stuff done after my run where as I usually use my run as time to clear the mind.

• Just had a Cozy moment, the half I was considering doesn't seem to be listed anymore.

Shades, this marathon malarkey isn't that addictive!  Are there times you wish you'd stopped at 1?  I saw the Paris half was cancelled, doesn't bode well for the marathon in 5 weeks.   

Iain, weird idea for the medal name, wouldn't appeal to me.

• Cozy1504Cozy1504 ✭✭✭

I'm very proud to have a moment named after me! I feel like I belong now!

I'd like to add, I moved this half from the correct date in my calendar to the incorrect date in my calendar and then this morning moved it back!! It's only about 600 people, small and local so should be safe from Corona Virus!

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cozy - that's good your foot ache has gone.

Of course your mind would have been buzzing with thinking about the day ahead.   Hopefully your next run will be de-stress clearing of the mind one.

Robert - I remember years ago a guy from the Trotters (Big G's club) drove to Stratford to do the Shakespeare marathon and he was a week early.  It's a fair drive from here too.  

No, I never wished I'd stopped at one marathon, it's probably been the best thing that's ever happened to me as it's led to meeting lots of great people, travelling to places I would never have gone, fitness and feeling good etc. etc.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Cozy1504 said:

I'm very proud to have a moment named after me! I feel like I belong now!

Yes, you certainly do belong here :) 

of course you may think that you're only going to do one marathon...…….. ;)
  • Shades I've only ever regretted parkrun, Panshanger on 22nd June last year to be precise, few times mid 10k I've sworn I'll never enter a 10k again.

I've booked a hotel a month too early for a race, only found out when billed.  Flights back from a stag do Tuesday instead of Sunday (not great when you called a sicky on the Friday). 

• RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Great running all. Hope the injury gets better Shades. I’m starting to get pretty worried about marathons being cancelled here. I have Brighton on April 19th and it would definitely qualify as a ‘large scale gathering’. Just have to hope things have calmed down by then. Will take quite a bit of mental readjustment if it’s cancelled given how much I’ve focused on it. 
  • Cozy1504Cozy1504 ✭✭✭

Yea I'm the same Rcouture, Edinburgh in May is a big one so I reckon chances are it could be cancelled.

I guess it's out of our control so just keep training and hope they go ahead.

For me at least, there will be no financial loss to this happening, I am fund raising but I'm sure it will be rescheduled and if not I'll get a couple of mates and do some sort of Marathon on the day!

• RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    I’ll attend your marathon cozy. Who needs medals and aid stations. Also if there’s just the two of us running it, it’ll be a 100% PB rate and the chances of catching the virus are low!