Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Ian - Sorry to hear about Barca being cancelled.
    Big G - Brilliant double there.
    Shades - Nice 10 miler.
    Rcouture - Nice 20 miler.
    Cal - Nice parkrun and long run double.

Saturday was long run day, so 17 miles. Wanted to run easy due to the 10k, started out that way running around 8:20/8:30 after the first couple of miles, but then without trying the last 4 miles were all sub 8:00, but felt comfortable so let it roll. Sunday was a local ish 10k, 2 mile warm up then got ready to go. I knew from the last race (they have quite a few over the year), that I might be towards the pointy end of the field, so positioned myself at the front, most people around me were after sub 40, one guy mentioned 35, so I was in the right place, but wasn't sure what I would have after yesterdays long run. Started way to quick and straight away a good 20 people were ahead of me! We ran alongside the water for about a mile, before joining on with the 20 mile runners, so had to weave through them with 3 other runners. First 2 miles done in 5:55/6:09, target was sub 6:10, so OK. Got clear of the 20 mile pack and broke away from the 3 others I was with in the second mile. Continued to pick others off from both the 10k and 20 mile runs, was hard to tell as only way to see was by the colour of the number. Got through the third mile in 5:57 and passed the 5k marker in around 18:50 (was aiming for 19:00-19:10) and wondered if this would come back to hurt me later. Anyway, felt OK so continued on with miles 4 and 5 in 5:56/5:58, passed 5 mile/8km marker in 29:56, worked out that I may be on for sub 38 (8 minutes to run 2km, sounds OK!) passed a young guy who I spoke to at start, he was hurting too. Turned onto the long finishing section into a headwind which together with the fast start broke me!! Saw 2 guys ahead, no idea if 10k or 20m runners, but wanted to shelter behind, but couldn't get closer to them, so solo it was. Mile 6 was 6:36 and I saw sub 38 going as my legs couldn't carry me any faster, I just needed to hang on, heard some spectators cheer and looked over shoulder as the young guy pulled level with me, tried to sprint the last 200 meters, but he held out and took what would be 4th with me in 5th 1 second behind him. 38:11 official time for 5th place out of 302 for a 25 second PB. Cool down for 5 miles to round off a 65 mile week.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - brilliant PB and race report.   I bet the others ahead of you didn't run 17 miles the day before, you're in great shape.   That bloody headwind again.   :#
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, it is making it all a bit difficult to plan for things.  One chap at the event yesterday was running his 99th, with Barcelona set to be his 100th.  He wasn't complaining, but it still must be frustrating for him.  In my case, Manchester and possibly Windermere are the main concerns in terms of larger gatherings of people.  I don't want to go and enter too many as backups, although I may enter Taunton if I can as a backup for Manchester.  Having said that, the other day I was erring against Manchester anyway due to the Flybe issue, but on the drive back yesterday I was thinking that I may just drive to Manchester if the race does go ahead.  It's 4.5hrs but I can just stop a couple of times if I want to.  I'll see.  I don't have to decide yet as I can cancel my hotel quite late on.

A great race report there Steve, and a fantastic PB at the end of a 65-mile week.  You're really getting the miles in!

Going back to my event yesterday, there were two regulars there who are quick.  One guy who I would say his in his 50s did 44.5-miles in 5:48, which is under 8min/miles.  He has the course record for the marathon on that route.  Another younger chap who is probably in his 30s did the marathon in 2:52 for a PB, missing the course record by 13 seconds.  Amazing to see those guys running.  To say the winner was "surging" wouldn't be quite right but it looked like he was using other runners ahead of him to kind of focus on and run past.  Great to see.  Often it looks like some of the faster runners almost find it easy (wrong word, but you know what I mean) in terms of how they're running, but those two were working yesterday.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - oh what a shame for that runner now looking for his 100th race, won't be as special as a weekend in Barcelona though.

I think Taunton will have a bigger field than Windermere as Taunton has a half too.   I think driving to Manchester is the best alternative way of getting there.  You could always book a hotel part of the way home if you don't want the 5 hour drive home after the race.

It's just impossible to predict what will happen but I wouldn't be surprised if all events are cancelled, whatever their size.   
    I see we have our first Coronavirus case in Teignbridge now, he'd been away skiing.  He's at home recovering and his partner and children have moved out to self isolate somewhere else.

When I did Dorney Lake there were a couple of guys absolutely 100% focussed on getting the times that they wanted, they weren't running to win it just get the time they wanted and nothing distracted them..
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Great job, Steve, especially considering you had a long run the day before.
  • Cozy1504Cozy1504 ✭✭✭

Excellent effort Steve! As Shades said, I doubt many people around you ran 17 miles the day prior to event.

I done 18 miles on Saturday (well 18.5 miles). Just another wee notch slower and I reckon I've nailed this easy run!

Felt pretty good, I actually thought the weather was ok until I realised quite how wet I was, I didn't even notice how hard it was raining weirdly. I did however feel the very strong winds, both behind me and into my face, throughout the run, but I guess that's running in Scotland in march.

My legs feel quite tired today, but not anything to complain about.

• RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Steve - awesome result after the 17 miler. 
    Cozy - good to hear you’re slowing down the long runs. It’s still a right struggle for me!
    Shades - Taping sounds like a good idea so will buy some and figure it out. I barely felt the ITB in the run or afterwards. I think all the strength training (planks, squats, lunges) and foam rolling seem to be doing the trick. Especially the glute activating stuff. On a recommendation from an experienced friend I changed from foam rolling the whole side of the thigh to only the small TFL muscle. It hurts like heck but appears to have made a difference. 
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Big G - Those are speedy runners indeed!!
    Shades - I'm just glad I only had to do one lap, rather than the 4 that the 20 milers were doing!!
    Cozy - Great 18 miler.
  • Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Big_G - the guy who won the event, his name is Simon. He runs a podcast (band of runners) and is a very good runner. I have run with him several times. He ran his first sub 3 (2:56) at the 100 MC AGM so for him to run a faster sub 3 is amazing..

I headed out yesterday to get some much needed miles in my legs. Didn’t really fancy the run but I headed out anyway.. struggled from about mile 4 but still managed 23 miles so not a total loss.. today I cycled 30 miles instead of another long run. I will run with the club tomorrow night and I’ll probably run to the club and home so a total of 14 miles if the weather is behaving itself. Beginning to worry I’ve not got a lot of time to get ready for the 100... oh well what will be will be..
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Iain, I've seen Simon at a few events over the last year or two but didn't know about his podcast - I'll have a look.  Do you know if he's training for something specific, as I'm fairly sure I've seen him run for longer than a marathon once or twice.  The lady who hurt her ankle at the event you did was there, but was marshalling/helping out.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    1SteveMac said:

Shades - I'm just glad I only had to do one lap, rather than the 4 that the 20 milers were doing!!
    Don't remind me.   I have a 20 mile race on Saturday, only 2 laps though.   However I haven't run further than 10 miles in training. :o:smile: 

Cozy - that's a good long run from you and I'm so pleased that you seem to have found the right pace for you.
    Is it your half marathon this weekend?

Rcouture - you've obviously been working really hard sorting that ITB out.  PF can be slow to clear so for some a bit of extra support either from taping or shoes can help.

Big G - Iain put up the link to that podcast on here a while ago.

8 miles today, chest strain healing slowly, down to about 3/10 when running now.  I do hope it goes soon as it's tiring mentally and physically running with a constant ache.    I did try to do my core Tabata before I went running but not up to that yet.    Nice and mild this morning, 12 degrees :)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Iain - you definitely won't be the only one that won't have done as much training as they would have liked.   You can only do your best in training, you have a busy life.    In an ultra it's your mind, the determination to finish on race day that will get you through.

Don't start too fast though ;)
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    No 20 mile race for me, although I will be volunteering at the one my club organises (so rather hoping it doesn't rain!). The nice thing is that the volunteers also get a goody bag and it's had some useful stuff in that I still use (a hat and a headband, last two times).
    Glad your chest is feeling better. I did gym yesterday also - my right knee complains at the stuff I'm trying to do to strengthen it so not sure if that is doing more harm than good! (It's mostly fine when I run).
    Rather warm today - it was threatening to rain so I wore a T-shirt with a jacket and I felt rather hot for most of it.
    After the first couple of miles another runner pulled alongside me and asked if I was training for a marathon and I ended up running with him for another three or so miles before he had to peel off back home (which is on the other side of the common from me). It was rather nice having a natter as we ran, but my intended recovery pace turned into the fast end of easy pace. Oh well! Legs weren't feeling bad after Sunday so I guess that's OK.
    I've also done the most frivolously runnery thing ever, which is entering an evening 10K tomorrow because I like the medal. (That aside, going by Saturday's parkrun I might have a chance of a good time).
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I seem to remember you marshalling your club's 20 miler last year.   I can't remember, but have you run a 20 mile race before?

As long as your knee is OK when running I wouldn't worry about it, just be a bit cautious in the gym.   I haven't been to the gym for 12 days now, most frustrating.   I think by Friday I'd be OK to venture back for a gentle session but as I have a race on Saturday I'd better postpone the gym until Sunday.   Missing my classes too :'( 

I'm sure your realistic chance of a PB/good time is the reason you entered the 10k :)
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I have not, as it happens - as all my Spring marathon (Manchester and Vienna) have come the first week in April, I've never found one early enough as they all seem to be timed for London. And yes, I marshalled my club's race last year and two years prior to that (the in between year, it clashed with the inaugural Big Half).

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, I haven’t done many, but I like evening races and tend to perform quite well at them. It’s almost like spending the day moving around warms me up for the evening race :)
  • Cozy1504Cozy1504 ✭✭✭

Shades -Yea this weekend for the half, really looking forward to it, not really sure how to tackle it, think I'm going to head out at 1:45 pace and see how I get on.

5 miles done this morning in very wet conditions, I've been getting cramp in my right foot since my long run on Saturday, any advice welcome. Not really painful but uncomfortable at times.

• 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Shades - You'll be fine at your race as your weekly mileage is still quite high isn't it? Plus all your gym work will pay dividends.
    Iain - Nice 23, backed up by a big cycle.
    Cozy - Go with your gut, but take it easy for the first 10k, then see how you feel.
    14 miles on tired legs this morning.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - yes, there aren't enough 20 mile races really to be able to slot into training especially for autumn races.
    Some runners don't like them but I quite enjoy them as they're like the best bit of a marathon, before it gets tough.   When I had my running club I would advise a 20 mile race for marathon virgins, especially those that had some fear of marathon distance as they found they could run a 20 mile race and not fall to bits at the end.

Cozy - yes, I think that's a sensible target pace for your half.

Is your cramping foot the same one that was aching a while ago?  Do some gentle stretches.

Steve - I do hope so, we'll see :/
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Cosy, a good stretch is, knee down, but with your toes tucked under (rather than with the tops of your feet on the floor). You may not be able to hold this for long - it's not comfortable, but it does give your feet a good stretch. Rolling them out on a hard ball can also help.
  • Cozy1504Cozy1504 ✭✭✭

Thanks Cal, I actually remember that stretch from some crossfit I took part in but unfortunately couldn't keep up!

Shades - different foot. My right calf frequently feels a bit achy, I keep a close eye on it as I tore it a few years ago and put me out of action (football at the time) for a good while. So not sure if this is connected!

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I took myself off to a chiropodist this morning as the toe is a bit worse again today, probably aggravated by the weekend.  A mate of mine is a physio and he recommended this place, which happens to be 1-mile from me.  When the chap knew I was a runner he said that he wouldn't tell me not to run(!), but left it up to me if I thought I should run or not.  As it stands, it's a bit painful to walk (i.e., 2/10) so I'm not sure I'd attempt a marathon if it was today.  I'm hoping it'll get manageable for the weekend and I'm currently still planning on travelling up to MK on Thursday.  I've been keeping it clean with TCP but he told me to stop that for a couple of days and keep it dry and try and keep the pressure off.  I can't see me running before the first marathon on Friday to give it the best chance, so I just hope it gets better fairly quickly.

Got an email from Manchester today which didn't really say much apart from the obvious - i.e., from their point of view it's currently still going ahead, but that could change depending on government guidelines.  They'll be sending out another update next Tuesday.  
  • Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Big_G said:
    Iain, I've seen Simon at a few events over the last year or two but didn't know about his podcast - I'll have a look.  Do you know if he's training for something specific, as I'm fairly sure I've seen him run for longer than a marathon once or twice.  The lady who hurt her ankle at the event you did was there, but was marshalling/helping out.
    The pod cast is great cause they just talk a load of rubbish to normal crazy folk like us.. at the moment Simon is doing the centurion grand slam and is a very competent runner.. as for Kat (ankle lady) she is a very good friend of mine and has achieved such amazing things. She unofficially (Waiting for verification) holds the world record for the most marathons run in 12 consecutive months female (176) she has completed 2x 100 milers and 5 IM events.. she is totally crazy and unfortunately due to medical issues has had to stop running.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that is a good stretch for the feet, our instructor in Pilates makes us do that.

Cozy - ease up on pace when you have these niggles.   Want you nice and fresh for Sunday :) 

Big G - hope the treatment at the chiropodist speeds up the healing of the toe.  Must be an annoying injury.   At least you won't have that distinctive smell of TCP permeating the house now ;)   Don't worry about running before Friday, get the toe better is your priority.

I suppose Manchester have had to send out some communication as they, and other big events, must be inundated with worried entrants.   But there's no way anyone can predict at this stage how quickly we will get through this Coronavirus situation.   Cancelling big events may be at short notice if a government decision/ruling, if up to the races themselves I suppose they would try and give a few days notice and hopefully a date of postponement. 

Ian - not looking good in the USA, difficult to tell as they don't do many tests.

7 miles today, nice morning, lovely full moon and then stunning sky at daybreak.   Chest pain still at 3/10 but no discomfort when sleeping now. 

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Big G, hope your toe improves. I've not used TCP in years - it was pretty much a staple when I was a kid as I was always falling over! Mum made me gargle with it too when I had a cold. Ugh.
    Re: Manchester, if it does go ahead, can you not get a train? Cross Country does a route from Devon to Manchester. Might be less stress than driving.

I think one of the big issues for most runners if races are postponed is that a lot of us already have stuff lined up for the Autumn. The knock on effect will be significant, too - if, say, London was cancelled then folks hoping to qualify for 2021, or just enter via ballot or charity, might well have to wait until 2022. Same with the other big races.

Anyway, no point worrying about that now. I did 8 miles at recovery pace this morning and was quite disciplined about sticking to it this time. Rather enjoyed it.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, I did look at the trains a few weeks ago but it was too costly.  I can have another look though but I don't want to get the "saver" ticket yet incase the race is cancelled.  I was thinking about the knock on impact for things like MdS - that must be a massive thing because isn't there a waiting list to get into that event?

Shades, yes it is a bit frustrating in terms of timing, especially as it came from the LDWA event and not really a running event.  You did warn me that I could get an unexpected injury from doing a walking event!   Just hoping I can make the start line on Friday and if I can I'll take it from there.  It is much better today compared with yesterday so I'm glad I went and there's still two days for it to get better before my next event.

We got a load of pics from that parkrun shoot with Pro Direct we had back in January.  The email said it took ages to sign the images off with parkrun so not many have been used so far, but more will start being used in the coming weeks/months.  I am in quite a few so I won't swamp the forum with them all!  I've said it before but it was a great morning out so the pics are a nice memento.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - the biggest losers if London is cancelled would be the charities as for many it's their biggest chunk of income for the year.  Runners can always find another race to do if they want a GFA time.  I expect London is trying to find an alternative date if they can.

A few years ago we had quite a few races cancelled due to foot and mouth, although it didn't affect the city races so much.

Big G - that's really promising that the toe feels significantly better today.

Lovely photos, especially the 2nd one.  You'll be pursuing a modelling career perhaps?
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Really nice photos - flying feet in the second one!
    I got a great flying feet pic from Southend parkrun on Saturday - had my purple tartan strides on for IWD.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ha ha, Shades - definitely no to modelling!  I do have a pic where they asked me to lean against a tree and smile, and I remember feeling like a bit of an idiot.  It did come out okay though I suppose...

Great pic there Cal :)  
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020