Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I saw that offer from easyJet. I’m seriously thinking of cancelling my trip to Glasgow in a couple of weeks, and move the flight to something else.  It’s not that I’m panicking but the Glasgow trip is just a jolly for an AGM and I’m not sure if I want to be in a room with a couple of hundred people.  I’ll have a proper think and research when I’m home.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    That is good, Shades.
    I've decided to rest today. I was going to try and run five days in a row as I can't run on Sunday but I'm feeling very tired (two poor nights of sleep) and with the SI joint being grumpy I figure rest would be a lot more helpful. No point flogging myself given I don't even know if I'm running a marathon or not.

I did get up early to do my shopping - got there as the shops opened so I was able to get some loo roll. It's utter madness. Guy in front of me in Sainsbury's had a big trolley full of pasta, sauces, tuna and other stuff. I said he looked like he was prepping for the apocalypse and he said he had four kids and his wife was feeling a bit poorly so the whole family might have to self isolate. Hope they like pasta.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Cal's experience is exactly what we have been like,yesterday was horrific with the amount people have been buying.
    Yes we are still going,everything is paid for and I need a couple of days rest,they are talking about rescheduling Boston for September so I'll probably not do it as I'm already in LA and Vegas in September.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Big G - I think I'd cancel the Glasgow trip if I were you.   At the moment it's gatherings of 500+ are banned in Scotland but they might reduce that and your AGM might be cancelled.   You won't be the only one having doubts about the AGM, at least you have the option to cancel now.

Have a good run today, hope the toe behaves.

Cal - hope your rest day helps.   It's very hard to stay motivated for marathon training when we don't know if we're going to even get a chance to run.

I only have one flight booked this year with Easyjet and that's to the IOM for my planned 400th.   However, if so many races are cancelled it's highly unlikely that it will be my 400th.

So the public are back panic buying again.   If they have to self isolate, it's for a week (unless they've been in contact or travelling, then longer) so how much shopping do they need.  Surely most families do a food shop once a week.

Rest day today for me as race tomorrow.   However, I feel I might be coming down with a cold, slight sore throat, and a mild headache.   The headache is more of a concern for me as I never ever get headaches unless I'm going to be ill.   RHR only slightly raised and I definitely don't have a cough or temperature .   I'll reassess later on today. 😷
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that would be a shame about missing Boston if they reschedule.

I only food shop once a week and I went Wednesday, shop was quiet and all shelves full.   I suppose another reaction to yesterday's update on UK and the virus has set them all off again.

Hope you have a well deserved rest in Barcelona.
  • Cozy1504Cozy1504 ✭✭✭

5 miles last night, managed to get a break in the weather by complete fluke, I had one hour I could run in during the evening and that hour the weather was pleasant.

Still no mail regarding my half marathon. As far as I know the rule regarding 500 people in Scotland is only if the gathering requires ambulance and/or police presence, I have done very few small events but I'm guessing they use neither of these services unless something happens on the day?

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cozy - I'm sure they would have been in touch by now if they are going to cancel.   I did see Sturgeon say the restrictions come into effect on Monday in Scotland.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Enigma marathon done this morning, which is part of a series called ‘week at the knees’, so for some (by no means all) this was their 5th marathon this week. This was around Furzton Lake, which I’ve not done before, and was 17 laps. I think there were about 35 in the race - that was the race limit anyway.

I have to say that at the start I wasn’t ‘feeling it’.  Legs felt heavy, and it was quite cold with a strong wind. But I started off steady and was towards the front at the end of the first lap.

I kept on going and picking off a few in front of me and at the end of lap 8, reluctantly took the lead!  I say ‘reluctantly’ as I’ve never been in that position before, but when I found myself there I was very much hoping I’d keep it.

As the laps ticked by I ended up lapping all but one and finished in 3:44:28 with second place worryingly close behind (less than a minute). Not very many events would have a winning time like that, but I’ll take it.

Toe was totally fine the first half but I could feel it getting worse as the race progressed. The last 2 or 3 days generally it’s been looking ok, but after the race it looked like it did about 4 days ago. What this means for tomorrow I don’t know yet. 

It’s taken a surprising amount out of me - I’m really tired and legs quite sore.  You remember I was totally fine after that track marathon?  Well, not the case today.  But I’ve eaten and can now basically relax the rest of the day and then just see what tomorrow begins. I really don’t think it’ll be as quick though!!  I had a chat with second place finisher and he said much the same as he’s back tomorrow too. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Big G-Well done on the win,can only beat what's in front of you.
    Seen the FCO changed the advice about Spain just as we were about to leave,but not for Barcelona so still good to go,Ireland have asked all people returning from spain to isolate for 2 weeks so no idea what will happen when we get back.
    Literally just had an email confirming  Boston postponement until September.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - congratulations on your win.  :)  I expect it's a bit more tiring mentally and physically at the front.

Ian - bad news about Boston, but you were expecting it.

Don't worry or even think what might happen when you get home, just enjoy your weekend.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Not had much luck this year.
    GC didn't go ahead when we were told it would,Seville I was ill and Barca and Boston both cancelled,hopefully the autumn is better.
  • Cozy1504Cozy1504 ✭✭✭
    Big G - awesome result! Well done, hopefully the recovery feels a bit better after a few hours
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    That is really bad luck Ian. See all those listed like that isn’t great reading :( For me, GC would have been especially annoying I think!

Shades, to be honest, when I had one lap to go I thought I’d lapped everyone and was thinking I could cruise in. I’m glad I checked as Foxy politely(!) informed me I needed to get a move on as 2nd place was about 400m behind and going very well. I hadn’t seen him all race as he never caught me and I never caught him, so I didn’t know he was there.  If I hadn’t checked I’d probably have slowed right down and then he’d have caught me, which would have been totally my own fault! 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Just as well Foxy was able to let you know how close the other runner was.   I bet he's more knackered than you are now.

I have indeed come down with a cold as I thought I might.  Just sneezing a lot, still have mild headache but less than this morning.  Sore throat has eased which is normal for me when cold starts to develop.  No fever or cough.
    I'll see how I am tonight but unlikely I will consider racing tomorrow although RHR is still in normal range.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Sorry to hear about your cold, Shades :(

I’m trying to look for silver linings, and for me I’m even more glad that I didn’t book Annecy. They’ve put out a note saying it’ll either be postponed or cancelled but they don’t know which yet.  I was never going to pay that fee for a certificate anyway, but glad I didn’t pursue it further. 

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - yes, lucky your GP friend declined to do your certificate.

Apparently Paris runners have been reminded that their certificates need to be valid for the October date, that is no older than 6 months.

Rumour on the London thread that postponed until 4th October, announcement expected.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the win Big-G
    London marathon postponed to October apparently. I’d love confirmation that Brighton is off too so I can reassess things. Can’t imagine it won’t be. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - I expect Brighton are securing another date before any announcements, Manchester too I suppose.

I always moan that there aren't enough road marathons in the autumn, looks like they'll be plenty this year.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Shades - without wanting to jump the gun but what would you advise if it was postponed to October in terms of training? Decrease mileage and run easy before starting up again halfway through a plan c8 weeks before? 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well that's the issue isn't it - there's a lot of folks like us who have already got Autumn races booked. We'll have to make some hard choices down the line.
    Well done, Big G - rest up.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - yes, ease up on the training.  You could still do one long run a month, say an 18 or 20 miler, that would make it a much easier path when you want to go back to full on marathon training.  One good thing is that doing long runs in the summer is much more enjoyable than training through the winter weather.

It's hard to plan when we don't know when the virus will peak and how soon life will return to normal.  

Cal - it looks like some runners will be able to do 5 majors in the autumn and if they have an entry for Tokyo that will make all 6 in 6 months.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    BBC News - Coronavirus: London Marathon postponed due to outbreak
  • Cozy1504Cozy1504 ✭✭✭

That's bad news but at least it seems they have another date for it.

Edinburgh is 24th May, I'd imagine it'll be cancelled but they may leave it a few weeks just to see how this all goes, in my head I'd think the end of May we could be returning to normal, but maybe that's wishful thinking.

• RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Thanks Shades. The plan I was following (loosely) is about 12 weeks. Would you suggest restarting it from the beginning or more like halfway? I’m mainly thinking of when to reintroduce speedwork. I enjoy long runs anyway so would be doing those most weeks so it was more around overall mileage and midweek speed training that I wasn’t sure of. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cozy - yes Edinburgh have a bit more time before having to decide.  I'd like to think too that by the end of May we'd hopefully be back to normal.

So until Edinburgh make an announcement you'd  better keep doing those long runs. ;)

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - no need to start at the beginning of the plan, picking up halfway is fine.

However by the law of probabilities some of us may get the Coronavirus and for some the recovery may not be swift.  I've heard that for those that don't get a very mild dose recovery can be 5 to 6 weeks until back to normal. For those it will be starting at the beginning of a training plan or base training.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I know I didn’t have this virus, but my chest infection in December really knocked me about. Over 4 weeks until I could run again really, and then I only eased back into it. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Manchester postponed. No new date yet although the email says it’s likely to be Autumn. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G  - you definitely don't want to get this virus.

I saw somewhere today that Manchester were looking at a September date, that might have been speculation.