Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Just checked the website of the leisure centre that I go to and Coronavirus statement dated yesterday and centre still open as normal.   I have cancelled my classes this week but if still open next week I think I might go to the gym.

Going to the library today to stock up on a few books in case they close soon.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Robert - but thankfully parkrunners can still go out and run, just not altogether.   So they will still get the benefit to their mental health.   

I was pleased to see that Macron's lockdown allows folk out for exercise.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - huge round of applause for Davey taking that decision.   That will stop the idiotic selfish ****ers.

Does this mean that the 100 club members might start doing a bit of training now? ;)

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Just went on FB but as yet can't see the whinging yet about Davey's statement from my contacts, some of them were planning on doing the 20 in 20. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I guess we can hope that Autumn races will happen but it's much too early to say at this point. This year may well be a wash-out. Strange times.
    10 miles this morning for me - another lovely day.
    My gym is still open but I'm going to stay away, I think. I have a few bits of equipment at home I can use.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, there are a couple of very selfish people, one of who was in the running for the chairman role.  He's done, with a lot of walking, 1000+ marathons, so you'll know him.  He's very aggressive and divisive - I am very, very glad he didn't get the role.  He was making his point very clearly last night and said this: "The people who have issue with events going ahead are those who are not of the same ilk as the new age runners who want to push themselves and run as many as they want.  Maybe all the limiting runners, solitary distance runners, and non runners could just mind their own business and let those with goals carry on".  And then talked about making sure the decision wasn't made by, I quote, "insignificants" and "whiners".  He's the same person who very quickly brands some people elitist.  He often comes across as an idiot.  

Yes, not sure what it means for things like the 20in20.

I was on the phone to Chair yesterday and he was saying he would have still gone ahead and done things like Taunton etc.  It took me by surprise a bit.  He's not doing it for numbers though and I guess he just doesn't see it as a risky thing at the moment.  We're having an impromptu committee meeting tonight.  I'd imagine Club Champs and certainly training will be cancelled, but he wants to talk about DD and our other races.  I'm not going in person but they're dialling me on FaceTime.  To be honest I am not really sure a meeting is needed - it seems clear, to me, what we need to do about training and the Club Champs, and in a way it's still too early to decide about our own races with the first one not until June.
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Shades - If I can make the new date, then yes I'll still do Manchester. I think they were e-mailing either tomorrow or Thursday, so should know more then. I had another 10k at Draycote as a potential, but looks like that will be cancelled too.

Knee/shin seem OK now, so 12 miles this morning to kick off the first week of taper!!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - yes, I'm planning to design a little exercise plan for myself at home so as not to lose everything I've gained so far from going to the gym.

Big G - I'm sure I know the person you mean but can't think who it is right now.   But there are a few with that attitude, I would have more respect for someone that trains and runs each race to the best of their ability not one that turns up, runs a couple of miles and walks the rest and then boasts about numbers of marathon 'run' and moans if the time limit doesn't suit them.

Well if Taunton didn't have the half marathon I would have considered doing the marathon too (prior to yesterday's government statement and new advice), only 200 runners and very spread out, for me almost no other runners to run with.   But the half adds another 800+ runners so of course it's busy at the start/toilets etc.   We all know that most races have inadequate facilities for toilets and certainly hand washing so that is a big factor.   Oh the days when I did Hereford Marathon, about 100 runners, only 4 women so we had a toilet each at the start venue :) 

I guess your meeting is just to exchange views so that everyone feels they've had their say, even though you know what the outcome is likely to be.  Maybe re club races, perhaps just hold fire on any preparation and expense at this stage and discuss again in say 4 weeks time, it's all changing so fast. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - I'm pleased that you're still planning to do a marathon this year.

Having a practise taper ;)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Yes, I think that’s the thing regarding expenses. Chair did say he’s got orders to put in for shirts, which I think I’m right in saying will have race dates on. Should he order them or not?  Can the design be changed to make it more generic in case of postponement?  I’m sure things like that will be discussed. 
  • ! think the statement from 100mc is a great call!  I’m still a little in denial but this will help persuade just doing the event for the numbers.  I was considering Cranleigh challenge a low key event about 24 entries for the marathon a few more for the half, it’s in May so will see how things unfold but highly unlikely 

EA have just issued another statement advising suspension of everything

https://www.englandathletics.org/athletics-and-running/news/coronavirus-statement/

Cal I’m not getting up hopes up for any autumn races yet, I will plan training to get myself fit if still well and possible.

Steve hope you recovering in your taper, will be a weird feeling feeling fresh legged but no race.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Connemara have already advised us that the dates are already printed on the shirts and medals, we don't care about that and it wouldn't bother me for DD either.

I would think suppliers will be happy to pull out all the stops to print at much shorter notice, they'll all need the income.  Could always do a shirt with no date whatsoever then if the event isn't on this year can be used next year.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    EA have updated their Coronavirus statement, advising all club activities etc should be suspended

https://www.englandathletics.org/athletics-and-running/news/coronavirus-statement/

• 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Shades - Only difficulty will be having enough time to recover and peak again, but that shouldn't be too bad given the time available. If the date doesn't fit with our plans, I'll have to defer to next year.
  • Cozy1504Cozy1504 ✭✭✭

Ian - thanks for the advice, I'll try and keep a longer run then. I feel good, defo not too tired, although my legs are a bit tired from Sunday, I intend to go out tonight and do an easy 5 miles to restart the engines again!

Shades - if not starting the plan again would I change it completely?

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - recover from what? Do you have another marathon planned in the autumn?

Cozy - good idea to get that gentle recovery run done, your legs will thank you.

Re plan, I meant picking up a starting point halfway through the plan.

However, you can of course adapt or rewrite the plan to suit your needs.

Big G - I see Phoenix, Saxon and Enigma have cancelled/postponed their events.   The 20 in 20 is moving to next year, 21 in 21 if you fancy it.   ;)

I went down town this morning, maybe a few less people around but pretty much the same for a Tuesday morning.  I thought the library would be quieter but it wasn't.
    Popped into Asda for a loaf of bread and they're panic buying again, shelves a bit empty, but not too bad.
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Shades - I was thinking mainly of recovering from the training block. I defo don't think I can continue to hold this peak until the autumn.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - the taper should refresh you.   Of course you can't maintain that level until the autumn.  You'll have to plan an easier period for a while.

So frustrating for you.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Went for 10 miles today and only managed 6,felt completely drained,I'm sure it's just a usual bug rather than the virus but thought it best to cut it short.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Oh gawd.  There is some talk amongst aspiring members about forcing an EGM to vote on allowing "virtual runs" to count for 100MC.  I can imagine that it's very frustrating for people who are on 99 or whatever but I hope most wouldn't consider cheapening the achievement by allowing virtual runs.  Most are taking it in their stride, but some aren't.  Pretty sure it'll all die down, or at least I hope so.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - maybe you weren't ready for the 10 miles you did yesterday and it's wiped you out, as you'd felt tired earlier in the day.

I believe the Coronavirus takes a few days to develop so rest up for a while.   When are you due back at work?

Big G - well that is appalling.  It just shows the type of people in that club, I'm so glad I resigned.  Of course I'm not referring to the majority of members.
    Virtual runs don't count, a virtual run is a training run....of course many of them won't know what a training run is  :wink:
  • Ian, I think my mind is playing tricks, had a bit of a cough yesterday and started questioning things.

Big G - I can't imagine they will accept virtual runs, as you say it's cheapens the achievement and there is no validating that these will have been ran.  People are stuck in their bubble, I'm sure it will die down.

Plan is by next week I'll be working from home, the sales team have been given 3 laptops, I was selected but would have put my name forward anyhow.  Just in case the company started looking at redundancies I'd prefer to be in employment that not.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I'm back in tomorrow,from all accounts last couple of days were even worse than last week so I'm really not looking forward to it.

• Cozy1504Cozy1504 ✭✭✭

So I'm now in 14 days of (enforced) self isolation due to my youngest having a cough and temperature, for the record she's 13 months old and frequently has both coughs and temperatures!

Anyway, I feel fine and am still going to go out for my 5 miles later.

Stupid question alert: Shades, when you say pick up half way through, would I just say pick week 8 (which I was on) and do from there onwards and then repeat to get to the marathon date?

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian/Robert, I was the same.  I had a very minor cough (IE for just a few seconds) as I was walking back from town the other day and started wondering. 

Cozy, I hope you don't go stir crazy and of course I hope your daughter is fine!

Shades, I think it’s a facebook thing where people are writing stuff and then others jump on the bandwagon without thinking.  I’m sure it’ll blow over.  I've noticed the committee aren't getting involved, which is probably just as well.  Some are 50 into a 52 week/race challenge for example and I can imagine it's frustrating, but if they want they could run 26.2 on their own a couple of times and say they've met the challenge.  Personally, that feels separate to the 100MC.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - that's good news on the WFH from next week.

Ian - hope you're feeling better by the morning then.
    I believe that the news coverage of the massive queues at the weekend sent folk running to the shops on Monday.   Then BJ's further restrictions announced yesterday afternoon sent them off to the shops again.
    Surely at some point these daft panic buyers will have reached their limit and calm down.  Of course the panic buying is fuelled by social media. 

I haven't bought a single item in excess of my normal shop, although I do admit to having 2 turkey crowns stashed in my freezer which I bought at Xmas.
    Whatever happens I won't starve.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cozy - I meant to pick up in the training plan at the point that you think your level of fitness at that time is right for.  So if you've sat on the sofa eating chocolate for a few months then back to the beginning.   But I expect you to keep your running up to a fair amount then you can skip the first few weeks.

Big G - I expect there's been similar posts on the main Facebook group, it's a reflection of some of the members, I'm afraid.
  • I’m went shopping on Friday, bought 2 weeks worth... that in the space of 48 hours turned to a weeks worth with 2 more additions to the house.

I’ll survive as just keep on topping up every few days 
  • Ware joggers chose a race for one of their races, it sold out in minutes which meant many joggers didn't get in.  So they made it a free choice of a half and would use any half chip time almost like a time trial.  Its got worse, for those who haven't been able to do their race you can do a virtual race and submit the strava time.