Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - oh no, but you only get married once (hopefully)  ;)

Ian - you old romantic  ;)

Good for you being a support volunteer.

Cal - oh it's really not your year is it marathon wise.
    Have you checked with your airline for Chicago, many are relaxing their rules on cancelling?

If there's a lockdown, I can't see them banning walking or running after emphasising the importance of exercise.  I think it will be pubs/clubs/restaurants and maybe shops, excluding food and pharmacies.  They're also trying to stop folk using public transport except for folk travelling to work.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Crikey Cal, not sure what I'd do in that situation.  I think I'd go with Chicago and hope it goes ahead, and if flights are cancelled know you could get a refund.  But I don't know.  Maybe think on it for a week and see how you feel before 26th.    Doesn't bear thinking about if all these marathons that have been moved to the autumn are later postponed again. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Keith, yesterday the experts were saying they were close to getting a test ready for people who were asymptomatic, and were even talking about testing at home - up to 25000 a day was mentioned.  No timescales but they're working hard on it.  They were calling it a "game changer" for the reasons you mentioned.  Doesn't really help you though I suppose!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith - well you'll just have to make the most of the next few days.  Frustrating not to have that test available yet. But at least you don't feel so poorly.

Cal - just watched the news and they played down the possibility of a strict lockdown in London, we'll see.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I guess if I defer Manchester and Chicago goes tits up, there will be a lof of alternatives given how many races are moving to the autumn.
    And hopefully that will be the case re: the lockdown. I'll be alright as long as I can run and get food. Shopping has become so much more of a mission now, though.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that does seem like the best option re Manchester.

I know what you mean about food shopping.  I felt like a hunter this morning setting off to find food.  Ridiculous really, I did the library first, then strolled into Asda and picked up a loaf of bread and a pot of jam, no queues.  Only annoying thing is that using the self service checkout the touch screen doesn't work wearing gloves so a real germ fest.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Again, I know this is very much a first world problem, but in light of what's going on I'm not sure what to do about my spare flights.  I'm scanning down the lists of available European marathons but on seeing the current lock downs and scenes in those countries I'm not sure if I want to book anything at the moment.  I suppose I can move the flights and book a refundable hotel, and if there are still issues hope that easyJet do the same scheme.  I feel I need to do something with it otherwise it'll definitely go to waste.
  • Options
    With a bit of luck the test is one that can tell if you have it now AND if you have already had it then they can roll it out properly. There are people at work who think they had it earlier in the year before it all kicked off. I can apparently move my train tickets however if i move them to August to match hotel they are beyond the cheap ticket time frame. I'll explore that one tomorrow i think.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well, that 20kg sack of oats just arrived...a lot of the online companies I checked had sold out but this one still had plenty. Now I know why...it's from a horse food supplier. :D Oats are oats, though, right?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - well rebooking the flights to a later event is a better option than just letting them go, unless they're dearer then you could lose a bit more cash.   I don't suppose you want to book for Loch Ness again as that clashes with Chester.
    My easyJet flight is for the IOM in August, you could book that flight.

Keith - surely if those folk had Coronavirus earlier in the year they would have infected an awful lot more people.

Cal - ha,ha, I'm sure they're the same, maybe need a little longer cooking time.

If I gave my pony oats it used to make her very frisky.   ;)
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ah well I don't cook them - I just put protein powder and milk in and some fruit on top. Anyway, sure they're fine! I've still got some Lidl oats to finish but I'll let you know eh?
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Love the oats purchase   :) I'd do Chicago,you can do manchester anytime and if one goes they probably both will.
    Not to worry people but we today got told we were only allowed to order 50% of what we could just 2 days ago so seems to be some major supply problems ahead.
    On a bright note a good 8 mile run tonight,probably the best I've felt in quite a while.
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Cal - We're on a fairly strict lockdown here but we can still go out to exercise, as long as it's not in a group. All shops, pubs, services etc are closed apart from food shops (and yes, bakeries are open Shades!) and chemists. You are allowed to go out for an essentiel food shop, in which cas you download a form and fill it in explaining your reasons why you have to go out. If you are stopped and checked by the gendarmes you need to have this form on you and they will then decide if it is for a valid reason. If your reason is not accepted you get charged 134€. It is not too bad for us.. we are six at home but we have a fair bit of land round us and the forest next door so can get out easily, I don't know how those families living in high rise flats are coping mind you.

One person who is loving all this is Charlie the Jack Russell. He hates being on his own and now has everyone home all the time. He's been for four walks today!

That was a funny dream Shades.. I bet BJ would love you as a coach  :p  

On a running note I got out for 13k this morning. My leg pain was still there. It starts as a dull cramp in the back of my thigh then gets progressively worse and travels down my leg a bit. I couldn't have run any further. I think I'll try and keep running through this and keep to short distances and just hope it goes. I've tried doing some of those donkey kick stretches Shades and I've dusted my foam roller off and am rolling the painful bit but I'm not sure if that will do any good.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    What if you don't have a printer or a smart phone? That's the situation I'm in currently. I'd have to go to the library to print it, which obviously means going out, and I don't even know if the libraries will be open (I suspect not).

7 miles this morning. Roads are quieter - many more runners around though!

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - you'll have to let us know when you try those oats if they're just as good.

Ian - I guess that will only fuel the panic buying when the customers see that the shelves are not full.

Glad you've got your energy levels back to normal now.

mamafox - what do folk without access to internet do for their forms?   That's an odd amount €134.   On the news yesterday I think it's Belgium that the fine is €4000 :o 

Lovely that Charlie is enjoying all the extra walks.

That does sound more like sciatica, not much you can do about it, just the usual sciatica stretch.   Maybe keep the distances a bit shorter as you've said so you don't get to the stage where it forces you to stop.   If it's sciatica the foam roller won't help.

6 miles this morning, lovely morning, bit chilly though.   Nice and quiet out, less traffic and less people walking to work, I expect some from the industrial estate have already laid off staff.

No pain at all when running today from my chest strain and I did my Core Tabata and plank is getting less uncomfortable.   I have booked Pilates etc next week but I'm still not sure I'll go, what they have done is reduce the size of the classes by at least half I think so we could keep a reasonable distance from each other.  I do want to get back to my strength training, I've had 3 weeks off now and starting to notice I'm losing a little bit of muscle now.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I'm not sure that we'd ever get to having to take a form with you when going out, I think I'm right in saying the French love their paperwork/bureaucracy.

Maybe at some time you might invest in a printer?  
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Cal/Shades - The mairie of our village has posted a copy of the form through everyone's letterbox and I believe if you need another one and phone them they can drop more off. They are also printing them in the local newspaper and if you really need to go out urgently and have nothing then a written explanation accompanied by ID can be considered. You're right Shades, they do love their paperwork here and the measures are being enforced. Can't believe Belgium have 4000€ fines though!

That's good news that the chest strain has improved and that you might be able to take up classes again. I have restarted my home strength routine since January and so far have an unbroken stretch since Feb 1st. It's only 15 mins mind you, a combination of 3 min plank, press ups, sit ups and the dreaded stretching but I do feel better for doing ot. Still wish I could join a gym though.

Absolutely gorgeous Spring day here.. thank God that is still normal.. so I'll go out for a short run in a bit after my coffee and hope my leg behaves.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Is the mairie the mayor?   That's good that they've considered those without access to internet/printer

I'm impressed you've kept up your strength routine, it's not easy having the discipline to do stuff at home.

I think by the time I decide I'm ready for the gym, they'll close it down.

I am speculating but I think we'll be in lockdown for Easter otherwise we're not going to be able to stop the idiots coming down to Devon and going all over the country staying in hotels/B & B's and eating out at the pubs and restaurants.  

I saw on FB yesterday a clubmate of Big G's posting from a restaurant in Cornwall, I looked at the comments and nobody had at that point commented on the fact that we're supposed to be self distancing, but there were comments from others saying they were looking forward to their visit in a couple of weeks to Cornwall.  Of course they could be in self catering.  I don't know her well enough to comment, but I thought she was more intelligent than that. 

I see Beefeater are closing all their restaurants from today or tomorrow.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    North Dorset marathon now postponed, that's another to cross off my list :'(
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I went out for my first run in 6 days.  Toe was totally fine but I only did about 4.5 miles in quite a wide shoe, but had no issues whatsoever.  Weather was a bit cold and blustery with some rain in the air; I had this idea that I'd be gliding along the trails on a lovely spring morning on my first run back, but the reality wasn't quite like that.  :)  Still, it was very nice to be out.

It was funny as bearing in mind I've done sod all exercise for 6 days, I was feeling really tired yesterday.  Sometimes doing nothing is tiring for some reason!   Anyway, I'm glad I was able to get out and get the HR up a bit today.

Regarding North Dorset Village Marathon, I know a couple of Trotters had entered it a couple of weeks ago hoping it would go ahead, but in the current circumstances it's no surprise it's gone.  No new date set as yet.

One of my races at Goodwood Circuit was offering medals if I did a virtual marathon.  Obviously I’ve no interest in that whatsoever and although there’s no refunds I’ve requested a transfer to a different race, which fortunately they’ve said yes to. It means I’ve got out of this with no loss of money for races, with the exception of the Manchester Flybe flight, so I feel fortunate in that regard. I think it’s 9 marathon cancellations/postponements I’ve had. 

I haven’t cancelled the trip to the Lakes yet. I know it’s very unlikely I’ll be able to go, but I’ll keep the bookings until nearer the time just in case there’s a change. I know I’m being overly optimistic!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - well that's good you're back out running and toe is OK.   I often feel tired when I've had a lazy day or two.

When some of the bigger marathons were postponed there was a rush on the Taunton marathon entries, only for us to receive an email a day or so later to say it was also cancelled.   Still haven't heard the final plans for Taunton, they were going to work on it, but they did infer that due to their expenditure any refunds would not be in full.   Of course a lot of cross runners that had entered the day before the cancellation, but did they really think the event would go ahead at that stage.   When an event is run to raise charitable funds they don't have a pot of money to take any exceptionable costs from nor are they an events company.  I see Humdinger aren't issuing any refunds, same reason, plus they've had to pay out a lot of money for road closures which doesn't seem possible to be recouped.  

Did you enter the Goodwood event in April?  I've entered the July one, so will try and get a deferral if that is cancelled too.

You've got plenty time re your Lakes trip.

I just went to transfer my Connemara hotel booking, possible to do it on Booking.com quite easily.   Unfortunately I had to cancel and rebook, I'd booked in euros but it would only offer me a change of dates in sterling and of course the exchange rate is terrible at the moment.   Hotel is dearer as I would expect as it's September but not a massive amount.  Some hotels in Ireland have shut down.

Library is closing tomorrow, they think for 3 months, I suppose I'd better go again and get some more books.   So much for self distancing, I've been down town more than I would normally . :#

Leisure centre is still open and now offering to freeze memberships for anyone self isolating.   My Pilates tutor is in Canary Islands and hoping to get a flight home tomorrow.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I opened the oats - they're not hulled so I can't eat them. Shit.
    I just emailed a small urban farm with a riding school asking if they want to come and get them, otherwise I'm stuck with a huge bag taking up room.
    I've deferred Manchester.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I'd entered the April one.  They're offered me a transfer to July, September or December.  I don't think I'll go for the July one, but will look at dates/hotels for ideally the September one but possibly the December one.  Yes, Windermere said no refunds, which is fair enough and I've booked to attend it in November.  I DNSd it last year and I do want to do it at some point.  I still don't understand the increase in Virtual Runs and medals though, but apparently that area is really popular and a growing market.  I suppose if it gets someone into running and it gives motivation to get out the door that's great, but it's not really for me.

Cal, bad luck on the oats!  Hope you manage to get some locally.  Good news on the decision about Manchester - I think that's what I would have done in your situation too.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - how annoying about the oats, hope you manage to offload them to someone that can use them.

I only entered the July one as I needed another race to get my numbers on target and so little choice for a road event at that time of year.

Windermere is a beautiful course, I still love it despite the pain and suffering I had there.

I don't understand the virtual runs either but it's only beginners that do it.
  • Options

Cal - bad news about the oats, good choice about Manchester, I'm in 2 minds at the moment. 

Shades - hope the library doesn't charge you late fees if they don't reopen ;) Certainly striking the races off.

Big G - that's good that you've not lost too much with the quantity that you had, good news on the toe too.  When you cancelled Manchester did it confirm the amount you were refunded? Mine offers me £0.00 it could be as I already deferred previously?

Hope everyone is well and recovering.  Change at work, I'm now going to based in the office next week as more use me being here and pull me between departments, if I'm at home I can only do work in sales.  I'm not overly impressed but least the loo roll won't get a bashing.

I'm torn over Manchester, I don't think I can get myself race fit by October, and may struggle for April 2021.  I looked to see if I could get a refund but it doesn't seem to allow me, perhaps because I deferred already.  I will consider cancelling (just so the events team don't incur costs sending me a race pack) or defer have upto 26th to decide. 

1st run since Sunday this morning, only 3 miles but felt good to be out.  My head has been a mess this week, very anxious and not been myself, I've been racing round several shops, several times a day.  With my sister 8 months pregnant, mum who's staying in as her partner has serious health issues, Dad's 69 and not feeling great at the moment, I've offered to get bits and bobs for them over the weekend, may have to be an early start to get at the shops before opening.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, no I haven’t been told what amount the refund will be. Mine also says £0 which is a bit confusing, but I’ll keep an eye on it. I think it said I wouldn’t get the money until April.

Just went into town for food. Although I managed to get some stuff, plenty totally sold out. No milk, no bread, no eggs, lots of fresh meat sold out, lots of fresh fruit/veg sold out. Pasta and rice virtually all gone. Very odd seeing it like that. I picked up some stuff but substitutes for what I went in for (IE, sweet potato instead of potato, broccoli instead of carrots, oranges instead of satsumas), but with what I’ve got at home I should be ok for a few more days. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    PS, that wasn't me panic buying, I often shop 2 or 3 times a week anyway, but may need to change that as an approach.  I spent a bit over £8 today.
  • Options

Big G, I'll try and cancel Manchester see if I get a refund, I wasn't going to run this years event anyhow so if I don't get anything I've not really lost anything.  Doesn't seem to be any logic when the shops have stuff in or not.  I usually shop 4 times a week so it's just the quantity of shops I'm visiting.  

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - I misread the notice about the library and it closes today and I can't be bothered to go down town.  I can renew my books online but knowing the crap IT system they'll probably present me with a huge bill when they reopen.  I'll pick up a few paperbacks from the charity shops if they're still open next week.

That's a shame that you'll be back in the office.

I'm sure you'll be race fit for a marathon in 12 months time, you've just done a half after all.  But there's no need to pressurise yourself, whenever you feel the time is right for you.

I think it's all the bits of shopping that you're trying to get that is stressing you out.  When folk are at home and you go to the shops it's hard for them to imagine how hard it can be just to get a couple of items.   I think everyone is getting up early too, small corner shops are often a better option.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I've spent less this week on food, whereas all the panic buyers are probably whacking up their credit card debts for no reason at all.