Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I've just sent off a claim for my Flybe flights which I'd paid by debit card, for £76.87.  I went onto the Santander site and started an online chat (they don't want phone calls due to mortgage relief calls) and there was a section that was titled "Flybe".  So I clicked on that and was directed to a paper form, so I've sent that off with the Flybe invoice as requested.  I may as well try, for the cost of a stamp.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I did hear that someone was reimbursed for Flybe costs by their bank, was over £100 so don't know if it was the credit card guarantee or not.

Certainly worth a try anyway.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Premier Inn closing all restaurants from this evening.

On lunchtime news Tourism chief from Cornwall pleading for holiday makers to stay away even those with 2nd homes in the area.  They're requesting the government to make clear that holiday and weekend trips are unnecessary travel.   We'll see.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I have heard that often (not guaranteed) Santander make these payments as a good will gesture, but I suppose their good will may be fast running out with everything that is going on. I suppose I am a good customer of theirs as I have a mortgage, savings and a joint account with them so not sure if that is a consideration or not.  I'm not holding my breath, but I've put the claim in to see if I get anywhere.  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Just watching today's statement from BJ.

As expected, pubs, clubs, restaurants, gyms etc to close tonight until further notice.   Only allowed to remain open to serve takeaways.
  • Options
    Cozy1504Cozy1504 ✭✭✭

Seems lots of companies coming good in this crisis, but I'd imagine a lot not so good! But giving problems with paying staff etc it may be out of some companies hands to do the 'right' thing.

done 8 miles last night, I feel the advice is contradictory, on one hand saying exercise as long as you keep your distance on another saying if in isolation you shouldn't leave house.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Cozy - you are allowed out but only to exercise if in isolation but advised not for food supplies etc.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I can’t say I’m a massive fan of BoJo but really I’m not sure what else he can do. Unbelievable press conference. 

They’ve reiterated that exercise outside is still ok. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I don't think they had any choice, as folk were planning their Easter social events and starting to ignore the existing rules.

By Easter I think it will be shops too.

In the IOM today they've arrested their first case of Coronavirus as he refused to self quarantine.  He's in a cell at the police station.  They have legislation to be able to fine up to £10k.

I don't have to decide about going to the gym.   Better write myself a strength plan to do at home.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Premier and Beefeater must have been tipped off early, other big chains too I expect.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    The funding aspects as well Shades. Protecting up to 80% of wages etc. Staggering really. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Yes huge amount of money.  Should stop a lot of the stress and anxiety about not having any money to pay the bills.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    2 deaths at Torbay Hospital
  • Options

Managed to get the bits mum, dad and sister that they asked for so have a 50 mile round trip tomorrow and not seeing them other than a wave through the window. 

I don't foresee me needing anything from the shops for a week now, I will distance myself where I can.

I’m imagining the beer will be stockpiled now, I have about 12 bottles of beer which can last me between 2 days and 3 weeks depending how I’m feeling. 

My conservative club did a very stupid thing, put a message on Facebook that they were offering free beer to members after 10pm.... you can imagine the backlash from people, including one of the committee members saying it was a disgrace! 

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - I'm glad you got the required shopping and that will be a nice Mother's Day present for your Mum too.

That was a very bad move by the Con Club putting a post like that on FB.
    I expect the pubs/clubs were very busy last night.   I think there were quite a few lock ins here last night,  I heard quite a few folk in the street going home late last night.   Will be their last night out for a while, so who can blame them.

Had a very restless/poor night's sleep so am taking my rest day today.    Normally I would avoid taking a Saturday or Sunday as a rest day as they are the quietest traffic wise out on the roads, but I don't think it's going to make much difference for a while now.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I ran 6 miles - actually went to Clapham Common as crossing the South Circular wasn't so much of an issue this morning. Still cars about but less than you'd normally get on a Saturday.
    I'm setting up a virtual parkrun league for my running club to fill the gap - no rules, just run a 5K anywhere, any time and record it and I'll work out the results for the week and allocate points. Could be fun.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, that's a ridiculous thing for the Con Club to do, in light of how clear BoJo was; even yesterday he stressed that it wasn't advisable for people to rush out to get their last drink. 

Cal, I will be doing a Q&A session for my club, so people send me some text and a few pics and I will post the info about an individual every day or so.

No running here again.  Although yesterday the toe was totally fine, it's not quite right again today.  I could run today but I think my much anticipated come back needs to go on the back burner again.

I think for me, I haven't been going to pubs/cafes etc for some time so the changes aren't that much of an issue for me as long as I can still get out for a walk or run.  Strange at the supermarket as OH went to the shop after her work to get something that I couldn't get and Morrisons were selling freshly cooked, whole chickens for 20p each, fresh fish very cheaply too.  All with a use by date of yesterday.  So there was food, but lots of staples (beans, pulses, pasta, tinned toms etc) not available at about 6:30pm.  Dad's still on my mind obviously but I'm checking in regularly on the phone and he's doing okay.
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Shades - Yes, mairie means town hall.. each district has its own. Ours regroup 3 villages with a total population of around 340 so it's not very big! On the positive side they're very good about keeping an eye on older residents. They've actually put a box of forms on the windowsill outside for anyone who needs one. 

We filled in a form and went to the supermarket yesterday for the first time since the lockdown. The gendarmes were out and about but we weren't checked. The supermarket was fairly quiet with everyone keeping their distance. All the staff were gloved and masked up with the cash desks protected by plexiglass shields and orange tape so the casiers themselves were nowhere near the customers. The shelves were not stocked full up but apart from the handwash section I didn't notice any obvious gaps. The price of fresh fruit and veg has gone up quite a bit though  :/ I found it all quite an unnerving experience to be honest.

On a running note I went out for a trot round the forest yesterday but  about halfway in I tripped and stubbed my toe on a tree root or something and thought I wa going to pass out with the pain. It wasn't the actal stubbing toe bit that hurt at all but the shock which travelled up my leg was horrible, like someone sticking a hot knife in me. I know I can be a bit of a drama queen on times but that really bloody hurt. I hobbled back home and it's been hurting since. More a dull ache now. I think it is sciatic (have I spelt that right?) so I'm not running today but seeing if it will have eased off by tomorrow. May try the bike to see if I can manage that. Annoying as another cracker of a Spring day here.

Why did you have a bad night Shades? Are you worrying about things?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - sorry to hear that pesky toe is playing up again.   At least you can take plenty time out at the moment.

Ooh I love a bargain I'd have a few chickens at that price.  

Glad that your Dad is managing OK.

Mamafox - the mairie is a good idea and keeps the community together, nothing like that here as you know.

Your food shopping expedition does make it a sombre affair, our food shops don't have anything like that sort of protection from the staff and customers are queuing close together.

Oh that sounds so painful, does seem to be a nerve problem, yes I think you've spelt it right.

I hear France have banned cycling now except as essential transport.   So cyclists can't train now, thank heavens we're runners.

I'm not a great sleeper and sometimes I just have a bad night, but although it's annoying I never worry about how much sleep I get.  I figure that when I'm tired I'll sleep.   I was woken too by some noisy revellers going home and I made the mistake of picking up my book, and the book is good and read longer than I should.   I'm not a worrier as such I don't worry about things beyond my control, I accept fairly easily what I can't change.

Needed some fresh air so went down town to get a few paperbacks so I don't run out of books but the charity shops were closed.  Not sure if I was too early or just not opening, most of the helpers are elderly.  So drifted into Iceland instead, a few empty shelves but I managed to get salmon, tuna and rainbow trout fillets.  I think most of the Iceland customers are more interested in the chicken nuggets.  Nobody was buying the Slimming World meals either so looks like folk might just sit at home and get fatter instead of using this time to maybe not eat so much when they don't have the temptation of cafes/pubs etc. 
     They had toilet roll but I didn't buy any.
    They did have frozen turkeys so might get one next week.

Glad I didn't run today, bitterly cold wind.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, there were loads of chickens there apparently.  She bought 3 and we chopped them up in batches and put them in the freezer.  We had the fish (herring) last night which was very good - she's a superb cook!  3 prepared herring were comparatively expensive at 92p!  ;) 

I'm seriously thinking of coming off Facebook for a bit.  The fake news and scaremongering is pissing me off.  A friend of mine posted something the other day that the virus is caused by 5G mobile signals, and that the government are using it to control us...she wasn't even joking.  I do use facebook for things like the Trotters group and also I have a few people I contact on Messenger, but a lot of the rest is just noise at the moment.

In terms of getting proper news, the WHO have a very good WhatsApp service.  If you have WhatsApp on your phone, you can use this link to get the free service, where it's basically a menu driven system where you can get up to date stats, advice etc.  
    http://bit.ly/who-covid-19-whatsapp
  • Options
    Kinda getting bored being indoors but it does say i am allowed out for exercise. Technically if i cant find someone to get stuff for me i can shop as well however one i have ample supply and two there are a fair few people at work who'd get me stuff too.
    Probably go out for a leg stretch later, just walking mind, perhaps over past the local coop to see wut chaos there is.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    It’s just got real for a mate of mine. There’s no tonic left at Tesco so he had to get coke for his gin. Disaster!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - definitely unfriend that stupid person.  FB is toxic, I ignore 99 % of stuff on there and I rarely post.   I only use it to check on info of forthcoming races etc and my club.   I don't accept many friend requests unless I really do know and like them.   And I cull them quite frequently, if they post idiotic stuff or keep trying to force their political opinions on others, then they're off my list.
    I don't use WhatsApp, removed it when last hack and never reinstated it.  I'm happy to pick  info up from newsfeed  etc.
    I do use Messenger fairly often though.

I would think FB is one of the main reasons for the panic buying.

I deliberately went to Iceland this morning as they don't sell alcohol and I expect any panic buying today is everyone getting their booze in.

Keith - that's good that you want to get out for some fresh air, how many more days do you have to self isolate?

• Options
    BG - Er wtf wrong with water ..... I am fine in that respect as i got 2 bottles other day and have a in use one and a bottle of sparkling water which is basically tonic anyway.
    Shades - Erm depends if i bend the rules cos i was technically awake before midnight so either Tuesday or Wedneday. I'll probably go on the hunt for food Tuesday in the afternoon if i dont go earlier being i am not coughing or sneezing and had a fever for 2 days roughly so prob either really mild or not the right virus. Depends how chaotic it is later on. I'll just do a flying visit either way until Tuesday just to get a few things.
    THis being home is a bugger as you know you have food in BUT can't eat it like normal as you need to make it last. Ideally i need to be acquiring extra on top of what i need to help brother out too getting stuff. I can have rice they can have pasta sorta thing.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith - you can always eat the chocolate stash, your Toblerone  ;)

And if you're desperate you could order a takeaway.

Anyway you did say a while ago that you wanted to drop a few pounds.  

They are expecting the panic buying to ease off so maybe by Tuesday the shops will be quieter.
  • Options
    I had pondered a takeaway yes ;) pick the right meal deal and you get a lot of food. Toblerone is my emergency back up ;)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith -  I hardly dare ask but can you cook something up from what's in the cupboard/freezer?   ;)
  • Options
    Lol i can cook yes. I shall hold of on takeaway for now as i have enough but if resotcking is awkward i defer the right to order big from one ;) I can make the large meal deals at dominos last a weekend easily, espcially if i spread it out more.
    Walked for 5-10 mins only to see if road repairs are done and they are tarmac'd but still need the rumble strips redone and some line painting.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    The panic buying has definitely eased the last 2 days so will see how next week goes.
    Another 8 miles before work gives me 42 for the week up to now,should be able to top 50 for the week,which is my plan for the next 6 weeks.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Hi all, good to read you’re all safe and well. Have been snowed with work and getting family set up to new circumstances. No running for me for 10 days now and it’s driving me mad! The break and strength work has helped though in getting my ITB and plantar fasciitis sorted so think will give it a couple more days. Looking forward to then building mileage slowly back up to a decent base over the next months ahead of Brighton. Saw this story earlier about a confined French chap who ran a marathon on his balcony!
    https://apnews.com/d3b46b7f777f7e1056285c33ac417b45