Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Ireland have restricted exercise by saying no further than 2km from your home 
  • Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Robert - is that as the crow flies or strava 2km
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - we use Skype with video, well except for me as I use a desktop and don't have a webcam.   I'm the only one without a webcam, but it's not necessary and allows me to sit quietly sipping coffee and tidying my desk. :o

Robert - yes, just heard that on the news.   They've brought in a similar lockdown to ours but with the 2km exercise, and they're describing the exercise to be 'brief'.    They describe what we refer to as 'shielding' as 'cocooning', the Irish always had a lovely way with words. :) 

Iain - this chap did his garden marathon yesterday, raised a few thousand for a children's charity
    https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/uk/ive-trodden-down-all-the-grass-man-runs-marathon-in-garden-during-lockdown-39082977.html

6 miles this morning, cold wind again but not as bad as yesterday.   Went out earlier today and roads even quieter, hardly had to use the pavements at all.   Feels like we're living in a bubble at the moment.  :/

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    If they do that here then I can still get up to the common, it's less than a mile, so it won't be too onerous. But if they stop us exercising outdoors at all I am stuffed as I have no garden and my flat is too small to run around. I could shimmy through the bathroom window and do shuttles on the flat roof outside but that could piss off the downstairs neighbours. :D

Anyway, I got out for a little run today. Still not feeling 100% but pretty sure it's a mild cold now. It's tricky with me as I don't usually get the normal symptoms (snot etc) - just a grotty feeling, sneezing and sometimes a scratchy throat. As far as I know, most of the horrible cold symptoms come from the immune system over-reacting to the virus, so I guess my immune system is a bit more chill. Probably due to working in a school for five years and getting every bloody virus the kids brought in.
    Lovely morning again although there was a cold wind from time to time. Nice blossoms still. I felt a bit stiff from five days being sat on my arse and still a bit more tired than I'd normally be, even though I've actually slept well this week, but I think I'm on the up now.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that's good news that you managed to get out for a run today and are feeling a bit better.    Bit of a relief to know it's a cold.

Folk are still heading to beauty spots to self isolate and the police have turned back 200 caravans and camper vans heading for the Welsh coast, yesterday I think.   If restrictions come in about how far we can travel/exercise from our homes it will be due to those inconsiderate muppets are aren't adhering to the lockdown about essential travel.

When I was running today I was working out that with a distance limit from home I too could manage fine running wise, with multiple laps of the town and I could have several routes too.   Not that exciting but with lighter traffic wouldn't be too bad.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    This what one police officer had to deal with yesterday in Devon.....

1. I'm taking a beehive to a field
    2. I'm taking a PlayStation to my mates house.

Both were sent home with strong words of advice
  • I heard someone had a fish in a bag and claiming taking pet for a walk :P
    Been out for about 3.5 miles this morning panting a bit but legs were mostly fine. Some people around out walking so i shall bike on the roads and run on the cycle tracks for the foreseeable. I am perfectly happy biking on the roads in full traffic though so its not gonna be to different to normal. Just probably not venturing as far away.
    Minor inconvienance this morning though Brother rang and needs to bring one of their 4 dogs here for the next week or so cos its in season and one of the others is er eyeing it up shall we say. Its gonna be caged here as i dont have the ability to restrict it from prowling the house plus barely have space anyway with all mothers stuff here. Any walks it gets will be seperate to my own exercise although i think i can take it running but might be awkward as if in season it will need to be on the lead to restrain the little bugger. I don't really have a backyard either plus its not exactly empty so will need to see what is out there some point to remove any problematic things.
  • https://www.whitehavennews.co.uk/news/18339407.cumbria-police-issue-guidance-daily-exercise/Cumbria police saying/implying ONE hour of exercise is the limit and meant to be local.I will assume as the UK normally uses miles not kilometres if they go to a range limit i suspect they'll go with a mile probably. Which works well for me as Fetch has a game with a one mile radius which i know means its barely outside a mile range for many of my loops which i suspect would be fine.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Keith - that link didn't work

I think I'd take Michael Gove's advice on the exercise above Cumbria police, he said usual period of time.

I think a lot will depend on this weekend and if there are large groups of cyclists out again then we'll have a restriction on distance from home to curtail the cyclists, or maybe cycling will be banned except for work and essential journeys.  As we're in miles we should hopefully get 2 miles, that would be much better for flexibility in our running routes.   One mile isn't that far for walkers, one mile out one mile back, 2 mile walk. 

Is your brother walking the dog over to your house, if not hardly an essential journey ;)  Can he not get some medication from the vets.   I laughed at the thought of you running with the bitch and being chased by some randy dogs ;) 

What about your cat?   Do you still have the cat?
  • It got the cumbria from next sentence tagged on end in error that one should work.
    Erm no the cat died last year which i am sure i mentioned. Dog is here now yapping away cos its in its cage should settle down soon enough although it will happily climb on for a cuddle and has done at theirs before. They'll be dealing with the male doggie when they can but obviously its not essential right now. They still have 3 beagles at home one of which is a girl too ;) THis one is a cockapoo so small yet also oldest.
    Its 10 miles or so between our houses so it was driven so i got to wave to the kids too.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    14 miles this morning.  Again, a quiet route and very picturesque and it only started getting a bit busier when I was about a mile from home, around Paignton Harbour.  It seemed busier on the seafront compared to yesterday even though I was there at roughy the same time of day.  There was quite a strong wind in parts, but again I took my time, enjoyed the views, walked the hilly bits and had a nice run out.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith - well I wonder where the 'hour' came from, as far as I know that's not mentioned in government's restrictions.  But if we have further restrictions an hour wouldn't be so bad as long as we can still run.

So sorry about your cat.  I really don't remember you telling us.

Dog will be good company for you when WFH.

Big G - another decent distance done.   A lot of people are still working so more around at the weekend perhaps.
    Seems quieter here today, but I expect the supermarkets are busy.

• Shades - Maybe i didn't can't remember where and who i told but it was late september. The dog is mostly staying in its cage which is normal when in season as its the only way they can separate them. Cos they cant get out for proper walks (i can take it for a 10 mile run if i want apparently and its barely bigger than my cat was) the other ones been getting carried away. Has stopped whining/yapping now which is fine however i need lunch so i bet that triggers it again. Can come sit on me later and maybe i'll take it for a walk too.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Shades, many people on some of the Facebook groups are coming out with that 1hr statement, but I'm the same as you at the moment in that until it comes down from central government I'll still run, following the social distancing guidelines very closely.  I've been out in remote places and seen a police car on a couple of occasions but had no problems or questions at all.  That's my reason for doing a couple of longer runs though, as I do feel that at some point we won't be allowed to.  I have been looking on a map to see what roads I can run up and down within 0.5 mile radius, 1 mile radius and 2 mile radius.  If it ends up being two mile radius, there are loads of runs I can do up and down roads I've never ran on before.  It will mean quite a lot of hills though! 

Keith, that "taking a fish for a walk" comment made me laugh :)  

A friend of mine's Dad isn't very well.  He suffers from severe lung/breathing issues and was one of the 1.5m people who got sent a letter saying to isolate for 12 weeks.  He had an episode a couple of nights ago and was rushed to A&E via Ambulance so broke his isolation, but came home today.  He hasn't got the virus, but he came home with a letter that says that if he does get the virus, he won't be getting a ventilator but will go on an end of life care plan :(  Sobering stuff, and I suppose some tough choices will soon have to be made by the NHS.  I was reading though that currently many hospitals are actually quite empty at the moment, but they are bracing themselves.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Iain, I forgot to say, I did tune in on and off for that Garden Marathon.  It was strangely mesmerising, but not something I would do!  He was doing it for charity, wasn't he?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Keith- you'll have to get up early tomorrow to take the dog out.

Yes, the fish in the bag made me laugh too.

Big G - I think when the latest restrictions were announced some journalists, TV as well as newspapers just made assumptions without checking the facts.  There was a BBC guy that was saying it's OK to go for a drive and to drive for dog walking or exercising.  It's taking days for the police and media now to put that right.  So that's where the hour has come from too.  

Very sad about your friend's father but that's often the way it is.  Obviously he wouldn't survive if he gets the virus so no point in prolonging his suffering.  They are much more upfront about quality of life and realistic prognosis these days.

Just watching Spotlight and police have been sending holidaymakers home as they arrive in Devon.  Also shown Preston beach and 2 cars parked on the promenade promptly sent home.  Then a pic of a deserted M5.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    6 miles again today, time to do a few hills, one of my favourite routes, total climb of 582 feet.   
    Bitterly cold wind but I was well wrapped up.    
    Only saw a few cars, one thing I've noticed in these strange times that car drivers much more friendly, I guess not in such a hurry, most waved at me, no idea who any of them were. :)
  • Yeah so she no likey cage so spent the evening draped either on or beside me on sofa. Bitched for 10 mins or so in cage so let her out last night so she slept on the bed. Kinda like a cat but more inclined to think any movement is play time...... Not going out for walk yet cos it kinda cold out ;) I'll give it a bit longer to warm up plus i've not had my many coffees yet. Maybe go for a short run later to test leaving loose for a bit.
    Last Thursday gran died too so funeral is monday 6th april which i am allowed to go to cos i qualify as immediate family and spent a lot of time there doing stuff. Gran was 98 and i may have mentioned but cant remember that she went into Hospital new years day and never came out again until late Feb. Its been a matter of time for most of the year and it will be a relieft to my aunt and now my mother too being she's up north now.
    On exercise rules etc maybe there will be something clearer in Boris's letter we will all be getting presumably tomorrow.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith - so sorry to hear about your gran, 98 amazing.  I know you used to visit her often.   

I assume BJ's letter will stress the unnecessary travel rules should be adhered to, no holidays, weekends away, no visiting family or friends etc.      I expect the letter is to remind folk as apparently over time they start to relax the rules to suit themselves, popping down the shop for a bar of chocolate, then next day again for something else and so on.

Not sure we need clarification on the exercise part.   At least it seems that they value exercise highly, interesting article here...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52076856?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/coronavirus&link_location=live-reporting-story
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Sorry about your gran, Keith.
    Big G, I watched a bit of that too. Glad to see the guy changed directions every so often.

I was supposed to be doing an 8 mile race today so I ran 8 miles (though easy pace - still not 100% so not pushing myself too much). Cold and grey with an icy wind at the start, but then the skies cleared and it was a lot more pleasant.
    I can feel my glute/ham quite a bit - I really don't think it likes all the sitting. I remember I always had issues with it when I was working in recruitment but then hardly any problem when I started teaching PE.
    Of course, there's not much option right now - I just have to make sure I get up and move every so often.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Keith, sorry to hear about your Gran :(  

Shades, the other day in the press conference, the Deputy CMO was promoting people to use this time to get fit.  She was saying that because many people may have more time on their hands without long commutes etc, use this time wisely to get fitter.  She was trying to turn a negative into a positive at one of the questions asked by the press, and saying that when something is restricted as it currently is, when you do that activity it becomes more pleasurable.    Obviously all this was said with the social distancing rules in mind.  It wasn't really picked up by much of the main stream press as far as I can tell, but it's here:
    https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/uk-news/deputy-chief-medical-officer-tells-17989213

Personally I think the rules are quite clear at the moment, and if the rules change again, I will of course follow them.  I think part of the problem is that people sound very authoritative on the likes of Facebook.  I.E., they say statements like "you're only allowed to exercise 1hr a day" in a very matter of fact way that makes it sound like they know what they're talking about, when they don't.  Last week Stephen Fry (president of Mind) made an interesting observation in that experts who he really respects often start a sentence like "Predictions show..." or "We think XYZ may happen", etc - i.e., even experts are cautious or slightly uncertain at times.  So when some random on Facebook sounds like they know for sure what they're talking about when even well regarded experts may have some uncertainty, it's probably safe/advisable to not read too much into a random person's Facebook statement.
  • Thankfully this little cockapoo is fine with running etc and 10 miles is apparently ok although i suspect thats not continous running but more total distance. Not anywhere near that distance capable and i'll have returned her by then. Not least cos littlest kid will want her back and will also in brothers words literally kill you if you dont. I'll go out in a while as its getting a little antsy as its sunny sorta and warmer than earlier but still topping off at 5-6C today with a reasonable breeze on top.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - was that a trail race you should have been doing today?

Big G - yes, I saw that part of that daily update.   She was very diplomatic too, not telling people they must exercise but gently saying that they may enjoy it now and to take the opportunity while they have the time.   

Of course IMHO if people want to protect our NHS they would also take the opportunity to lead healthier lifestyles, not drink too much, overeat etc and become a liability to the NHS with obesity, diabetes etc. and other lifestyle related health problems.

I too think the exercise rules are quite clear but of course on FB you have the stupidest people posting rubbish.   I keep seeing irate posts saying that people who work in manufacturing, engineering etc and saying they should be at home.   It seems the FB posters seem to think that the restrictions mean that only key workers should be working whereas actually if your job can't be done at home then you can go to work.   But some of the posts are really funny, one asked if Austin's was open as they wanted to buy a birthday present for a friend, was asking as didn't want to drive all the way from Totnes for nothing, needless to say she was slaughtered on FB for her stupidity.  

Keith - she sounds like a lovely dog and good little running companion, but you can't keep her and break a child's heart.    It's really cold here in the wind too. 
  • Shades - Dont worry i'd rather have a new cat eventually. Need to remove mothers junk from here then ideally get some work done on the house then i'll get a new cat. Weekends away running are fine with cats cos they can survive on there own merrily for several days, dogs poop everywhere and also need exercise. I would say dogs sleep less too but er not so sure there :p
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Speaking of cats, I’ve literally just made this potting bench, and it seems Pim has claimed it as his. 

Ian, it’s from Aldi - we got 2 delivered yesterday, plus some other stuff to be delivered next week....
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith - yes, cats definitely more self sufficient and independent. 

I'd love to have a cat but the road I live on is a bit too busy traffic wise.  Well not at the moment with the lockdown.   I noticed this morning that my neighbours in the street aren't going out, we have permit parking and cars are remaining in the same parking spaces for days.

Big G - I read the first part of your post saying you'd made that bench and I was so impressed.    

Then I read the 2nd part of your post, that you'd bought it from Aldi, it looks really nice though after you'd assembled it.... which is not quite the same as making it.  ;)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ha ha, I had actually originally written ‘assembled’ but for some reason changed it to ‘made’. Only took about 15mins so not too arduous :)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    It does look really nice though and the cat obviously approves of your work.  15 minutes is swift work too. 
  • Cal glad you felt well enough to get out for a couple of runs, fingers crossed we don't go into full lockdown as with 4 people living in a small 2 bed semi it's going to get cramped.

Shades I've not seen any police on my runs however have took to off road and country/ quiet lanes.  I have seen at Panshanger park they closed the car park as people were driving there, now people are parking in the road.  Police put notices on all the cars saying your number plates have been recorded and not to park here again.

Keith whatever you do dont get kittens! I've not slept properly since we got ours, much prefer a dog however selfishly wouldn't be great now given we're only allowed out once a day.  Sorry to hear about your gran, 98 is a splendid age glad you're able to attend the funeral to say goodbye.

Big G some decent mileage on your training runs, I tend to ignore most stuff on facebook unless it comes from an official source although |BBC tweeting something this week about people being able to drive somewhere to exercise wasn't true and caused abit of conflict with a few ware joggers.

3 miles yesterday and 8.5 miles today hit trails and didnt see anyone else, was tough win the wind and hail at times but when the sun was out it made it that much better.  32 miles for the week my highest post fall.  
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Shades - no, it was meant to be in Kingston - same organisers as Hampton Court and Kingston halves so similar territory covered.

Keith, I bet the various adoption places are full of cats at the moment. It'd be lovely to give one a home.

Big G, lovely kitty!

Rob, that's a good total. Got me beat this week - I only managed 13!