Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Cozy - shame your race was cancelled, always nice to go back to places that have good memories...I hate all 10k races because they hurt.  I usually do one or two a year and say never again, then I forget how much I hate them and book another couple.

Big G think Chester would be okay being another date to London, Southampton and Blackpool have matched VLM in the past and do okay, spose this is now different but the same runners who aren't in London will look for other races and is a 400 miles? from London so not local.

Shades - sorry yes prodirect, other than my parkrun shirts not used them before.  Also considering a pair of saucony peregines from sportsshoes (£66) £37 to pay after using a credit note and discounts) will need to space the orders about so Elle doesn't notice lol.  Compression socks come today will go for a jog after work. 

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rob-I know we are a bit far away up here but 400 miles would get us to London and back.
    Big G-I think they would be ok attracting the amount of runners,it is whether the government allow that many to an event,I think they will start slowly and ease it up,so gatherings on 500 or 1000,then increase the amounts as time goes by to see how it reacts,but at this stage it is all a guessing game.
    13 hilly miles today,get decent enough,and obviously I had to go just over the 13.1.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cozy - in a couple of years or so we might be able to tempt you down to Devon to do a short ultra over the roads of Dartmoor.  It has a few tough hills and any other hill you've known in a previous race will become a fond memory.  You've seen us referring to DD which is Dartmoor Discovery, Ian came down last year to do it.

Good news your order from Subsports is on its way.

Mamafox - that's good that the lockdown appears to be working and there's talk of how to start to relax the rules.

Don't envy you the home schooling.  Will they still be expected to study at the time that would have been their Easter holidays?  

Well progress as expected on the BMW then  ;)

Robert - 400 miles!  You don't get out the SE very often then  ;). Even from down here in Devon Chester is 250 miles.  Still a fair drive though.

Well you can't let the credit note go to waste so I would see that as prudent shopping.

Have you used those compression socks before.
    I'm very pleased with the Subsports tights.

Ian - I'm not so sure that when events are allowed again it will work like that. Even if you're at an event of 10,000 people you're only going to be close to say 50 people around you.  I wonder if it might depend on what distancing and hygiene/hand washing facilities can be provided.   Most events have too few toilets and inadequate hand washing facilities.  We'll see.  

That's a decent midweek run.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the anniversary Shades. I’m still gutted at my first marathon getting postponed but feel guilty about it given everything going in the world. I’m not convinced the new September date won’t be postponed/cancelled either given that even if distancing is relaxed, large gatherings are likely to be last to be reinstated.   I’ve ordered myself a new pair of my current Asics as they are on their last legs. I think once the shops are open again I’ll go hunting for some Hokas to try on as I think I’d do better with lots of support. 
    8 miles easy earlier. PF feeling much better. Quads tights though from doing deadlifts for the first time in years but generally legs seem stronger from strength training. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - when you do run your first marathon it will be an even more special occasion.  I agree with you, I think it would be quite likely that there won't be autumn races either.   Don't feel guilty about it, we can't all go out and save the world.

It's a good idea to go and try on some Hokas rather than buying straight off the internet.   They do feel different than other shoes but I'm a great fan of them and they allowed me to continue running when I developed a chronic condition in my foot, I did a lot of research at the time and there were many that bought them so they could continue to run with PF.   Most are a low drop and lots of cushioning, but they go on for ever.  I only have one pair now, Cliftons and they've done around 700 miles and the cushioning is still good.
    This is a very good website if you want to do a bit of research  https://runrepeat.com/

Deadlifts are a great exercise :) 

7 miles this morning, lovely weather, it's warming up now.   Would have been my first road marathon of the year on Sunday and the forecast is 16 degrees which I would have loved.   Never mind, there will be another marathon sometime....

Saw my first bluebells of the year today, well I smelt them first, gorgeous.  

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I've seen bluebells too, Shades. I bet Banstead Woods parkrun is going to be spectacular, with no one to see it. Sad.
    I'd have run Manchester on Sunday. Trying not to think about it. My wall calendar is full of crossings out.
    Rest day today. Psyching myself up to go shopping.
  • My bad on the 400 miles, no wonder why I'm struggling with this social distancing!  My excuse is was thinking round trip... my brain has been fried a bit of late.

Ian - I find it quite satisfying to stop at 13 miles rather than 13.1... if anything I usually got to 13.2 or 13.3 so I don't feel like a strava snob. :D 

Shades - never used SUB before seem comfortable and considering more.  Love bluebells about 40 miles into NDW50 there is a wood section full of them and gild garlic something to motivate you to get there.

Rcouture - don't feel guilty about the way you're feeling about your marathon, you done most the hard work and that will be a good experience for when you do get to go again.  I'm sure we'll know by June/ July if things will go ahead or not so can start training towards then closer to the time, just keep fit and injury free for now.

Cal good luck with shopping, hope you manage to get everything. 

5km last night, the hip felt better but still sore, it could be the different chair for work.  Not quite got that Friday feeling at the moment, and next week it Easter, usually get excited for the bank holidays. 

• Cozy1504Cozy1504 ✭✭✭

Rcouture - my latest trainers are NB Fresh foam more, they are NB answer to Hoka and other big cushion trainers and I love them! Took me a few runs to 'get' them but now I love them.

Robert - I've had a few Sub Sports items in the past and always liked it, I'm hoping to have more today!!

On the autumn races, I just can't see it happening unfortunately, and there's a bit of me that thinks if I do my training plan to a point again I'm maybe not going to stop, I'll just run my own marathon on the day (maybe with some others if we're allowed).

I also have a golf trip to Spain in September! Highly doubtful I'd imagine.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Cal - I know,my race diary isn't looking good either...

I hadn't got round to entering Worcester, but it's been cancelled now too.

Good luck with the food shop, hope you can get what you need without too much hassle.

Robert - I think all of us are suffering from fried brain syndrome lately, the thought of being able to drive up the motorway right now seems like an alien concept.
    Not a lot to get excited for over Easter, except a break from work.  :/

Cozy - those NB shoes are on my wish list, might move them up the priority list now after your good review.   I believe they're similar to the Hoka Clifton which I already have and like very much.

I wouldn't advise running the marathon anyway on the day, that will be a huge disappointment and won't count as an official marathon, a truly pointless waste of energy.    I doubt very much you would be able to run with others either.

• Cozy1504Cozy1504 ✭✭✭

Shades - when I bought them they'd just been reduced to £62 on sportshoes, not sure what they are just now.

Yea, ofcourse you're right about running on my own, just can't see an end game here which is frustrating, but I get it's a tiny thing in comparison to what others are going through.

• mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Cozy - I have two pairs of Hokas and they just go on for ever. I don't race in them as they feel a bit too marshmallowy but I accept this could probably be just in my head. They're my basic training shoe. The older ones are completely hanging now but are still fine for a short forest run.

Shades - Forgot to say thank you for reminding me about that shoe website. 
    I sincerely hope that home schooling will not be required for the Easter holidays. Our zone is the last wave of holidays this year so I'm not thinking that far ahead. With regards to home schooling I'm treating it much as I would a marathon, ie running the km I'm in and trying not to think about what's ahead of me!
    Did you work out a fitness/strength plan for yourself to do at home?

Rob - I know what you mean about holidays or Fridays not having much significance. It's a bit like when the clocks changed last weekend.. sort of felt it all seemed a bit meaningless.

Rcouture - As Rob says, keep up the mileage, you're  building your base up which is a long term thing and you'll be even more prepared for your first marathon!

Cal - Hope you got through the shop ok. Have things calmed down a bit over there now with regards to shopping?

A lovely 19k for me this morning. I love this time of year, everything waking up and coming into bud. I know the dreaded hay fever season is just around the corner but I'm trying not to think about that. Got tired towards the end and was shuffling a bit but the thought of my poached egg on toast kept me going  :)

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cozy - I've just looked on Sportsshoes but they don't have my size, they do have the 1080's though, they're also on my list.   I'll have a look around the various websites.

mamafox - I don't suppose you know which Hokas you have? ;) 

Hopefully you'll have a break from being 'teacher' at Easter then.   At least where you are your children are able to go out and play, I'm assuming they can.

Yes, have worked out a strength plan to do at home, just haven't really got into the routine of doing it often enough.   My chest strain has only this week completely healed so have written an upper body plan now.   Firstly I did a plan based on my gym stuff but then changed my mind and wrote one with completely new exercises which I'm hoping to try this afternoon.   I've also done a balance/strength one, to replace my Pilates class, looked really easy when I watched the video, but harder to do than expected, I'm not as good as I thought I was.  :/

I take it your sciatica isn't bothering you now with your longer run.   Only one egg?
    I think about my breakfast for the last couple of miles of my morning run :)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, my calendar is decimated too :(  My phone reminded me that I was supposed to be flying to Manchester today.  

Went out and did 15 miles today.  Virtually the first mile from my house is straight up hill (unsurprisingly I very rarely go that way to start a run!) which I walked, but after that I was out in the country lanes.  Usually at 9am on a Friday those lanes wouldn't really have been runnable, but today it was a great run out with very little traffic, and hardly any body else out there.  At about 13 miles into the run I hit the sea front where it was a bit busier with walkers and I did a loop to make sure I finished on 15 back at my house.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done on your 15, Big G, and your 19K mamafox.
    Just seen the new Next% are out...tempted but telling myself no. If I'd been running Manchester, I might well have succumbed.

Shopping was actually painless - Aldi had nearly everything - even loo rolls, soap and hand sanitiser (I just got some soap). Only thing they didn't have was goats cheese but I think I can live without that for a week.
    Also stopped by the launderette to check - they are opening at 10 now but still doing service washes so I will take my scummy bedsheets down on Monday. Thank god.
  • Cozy1504Cozy1504 ✭✭✭

I'm going to try Hokas at some point! Let me know if you spot any great deals! I've wore new balance for a couple of years now though and really like them.

Just done 5 miles in relatively windy but nice weather.

I saw an article written today complaining about joggers not being courteous! It really annoys me. Getting away from the fact we're out there in the snow, wind, cold, rain all year round, the majority of runners I see are literally in the middle of the road while passing anyone. I feel like putting a go pro on my run to show how much effort I make to avoid people, and the zero effort the other direction ...... rant over! ha

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Good news the shopping was okay, Cal.  Not sure if she was just unlucky but OH went shopping a couple of days ago and came back very stressed, which is unlike her.  The shop (Lidl) was doing their best to make it safe for the shoppers, but OH was getting a bit stressed with some of the other customers :(  Most were very good and taking their time, but a very small number were just barging around ignoring the advice.

I had a couple of hours in the garden.  Still very much in the demolition stage as opposed to creating stage!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well, perfect time for garden wrecking, Big G!
    Cozy, I agree - it cuts both ways. I've encountered many people ambling along in the middle of the path with no care for anyone trying to get past. And I think they should ban headphones for everyone at the moment!

After a supremely lazy day yesterday (going to the shops was my only exercise, so I only racked just over 2000 steps) I decided I would have a bash at the virtual parkrun league I set up for my club (I wasn't feeling well enough to do it last week).
    Actually managed to get out just after 6 - due to the clock change I've struggled to get out before 7 this week - so did a warm-up mile first on the way to the flat road triangle I sometimes use for tempo training. Almost came a cropper when I tripped over a paving stone less than 100m into the run - still not sure how I stayed upright because I swear I was so far forward I was doomed, but eh.
    Also passed two lads tagging the railway bridge on Tooting Common so got a lung full of spray paint. Nice.
    Anyway, got to the triangle, restarted my watch and went off. I've always had trouble hitting race pace on my own but I was happy to run just under 8 for the first mile and again for the second. I slowed a little for the third mile then pushed for the finish. Watch said 24:59 but I fumbled saving it so came out at 25:07 - hopefully my clubmate who is collating the results this week will be kind and give me my actual time.
    While I have run faster parkruns, I am super happy with this for a training effort (especially before 7am when I'm still a little stiff).
    Did a mile cool-down back home and had a look at the lad's work. I don't think Banksy has anything to worry about.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Big G - nice opportunity for you to run a different route while the roads are quiet.   We have to make the most of the benefits of the lockdown, there aren't that many.

Some shoppers are just downright rude and barge their way around, I shouted at an old man in Lidl's last week.  I did it deliberately so other customers would look and he was suitably embarrassed and apologised.

Cal - I'm treating myself to shoes/kit from my returned race fees, go on treat yourself.  ;) 

Glad the shopping went well and you can get your laundry done as usual.

Couldn't agree more about the headphones, when I see a runner with headphones it just screams 'beginner' to me.   And if they turn up to a race wearing them then they really are idiotic muppets.

Hope you're OK after your near fall, easy to injure yourself without actually falling.   Always gives me a fright when I do that comedy trip.  

It reminds me of Norman Wisdom, who incidentally I'd met a few times, he used to live on the IOM and started the marathon and presented the prizes a couple of time, still doing his tripping over routine in his 90's.  :)

That must have been hard running that pace in training, but you have to pretend its your usual Saturday parkrun.

Cozy - I think Sportsshoes had some good deals on Hokas, but there's a vast range of models now so you'll need to do some research on what will suit you.

I kind of agree about runners not being courteous, these are usually the ones wearing headphones and many lack spatial awareness and some of them don't even acknowledge other runners which is the height of bad manners.   I saw a girl out running yesterday, she crossed the road to my side, we were the only 2 people in the street and as she went to pass me I just opened my mouth to wish her good morning and she turned her head away from me and completely blanked me.  Needless to say she was wearing headphones, no manners and no social skills.

8 miles this morning, chilly but nice morning.   Did my route including Saturday Lane as it's Saturday.  :)  Last time I ran there I ended up herding a flock of sheep that had escaped from their field, thankfully no repeat of that today.   But sad to see someone  has been fly tipping in a gateway, this is a very quiet road, I've run there quite a few times but never even had one car pass me, just a couple of farms and houses there so someone has driven there just to dump rubbish.   
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done Cal, very good effort when running on your own!  We don't get much fumes from spay painters down here Cal - depending on route, a waft of cow or horse sh** is more likely ;)  

Shades, I ran in a familiar area for me today and there were lots of lambs in a field.  One had escaped, but as I approached it scarpered back under the fence.  I agree, I'm really trying to make the most of these times - I have to say, I'm really enjoying the emptier roads; every day feels like a Sunday in some ways!  If I can be consistent over the next few weeks, it'll be interesting to see if it translates to a decent marathon time in the Autumn.  I'm not following a plan but just trying to be consistent if I can.

In terms of latching on to benefits in these times, I did a regular 10-miler for me today....but in the opposite direction.  Exciting, eh!?  The reason I did it is that I went to the seafront first this time, as I thought getting there 75mins or so earlier would mean it would be quieter, and it was.  I ran up a long,  steep hill that I've never ran all of before, so there do seem to be a couple of signs that I'm running quite well at the moment.  Fingers crossed I'll get out again tomorrow.

On Eurosport they're showing replays of 2012s "Super Saturday", which brings back good memories.  I wasn't in the stadium as we were in France (Annecy, funnily enough) that weekend, but what a summer that was.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I'm impressed with your shepherding skills.
    Good idea to do the sea front first to avoid the public.  You can see now why I choose to get up really early to run, in the summer it's light and all roads quiet.

I do hope you get a chance to use that great training later this year.

From what I've seen already from my window today folk are not going to stay in.  When I went for my run there was a caravan parked at Romany's cafe, hope the police spotted it too.

I wouldn't be bothered watching anything on Super Saturday except the 800 metres, IMHO that's the finest race I've ever seen.  Rudhisha has just started serious training again.
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Cal - Well done on your speed session. I find it impossible to run fast in training. Tagging's not something I come across either! I loved running round Paris when I stayed with my daughter. There's some really good artwork on the bridges, walls etc there, some transit vans are even completely covered, loved taking in all that.

Shades - When I say poached egg it's always two! And yes I do have the names of my Hokas (After a bit of research :p) My first ones were infinity, then the Bondi 5, then finally the Arahis. I still use all three pairs, great high mileage shoe. To be honest I didn't go for a model in particular, just what was on offer on the internet. The Arahis were in a bargain bin in Decathlon at half price. I'd gone in for football shoes for one of the boys and came across the Hokas which was a stroke of luck as they really are fab shoes.
    With regards to everyone getting outside yes, we are lucky, there's plenty of land and trees and the forest is next to us too. The youngest one is fine but the older ones are starting to get a bit bored and missing going out with their friends. I've tried to point out how lucky they are not to be cooped up in a high rise flat etc but this is falling on deaf ears.

My sciatica is definitely much better which is a relief as I was worried it was going to be another long term injury. Just a hint of a niggle now. I took today off though as my legs were feeling it a bit after yesterday and I don't want to push it. Can almost let myself think that i can start getting some decent mileage in again. I've definitely put a bit of weight on so that needs to come off. 

Dithering about entering La Rochelle at the end of November. It's the 30th anniversary race and, in normal times, would risk selling out. With this situation now I imagine people will be either ultra cautious and leave it.. or so fed up of not racing during the Spring and Summer all go mad and enter really quickly. Decisions decisions.

• RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    My suspicion based on the number of new runners I see out and about is that demand for marathon entries could rise a lot once we are out of this. Who knows though, folks might just go back to their usual laziness. 

Sadly I am one of the numpties with earphones 😬. Never for a race though and they are the bone induction ones where I can hear everything around me. I tend to only listen to podcasts anyway so low volume. 

Easy 13 miles in the sunshine today followed by a beer in the garden. Lovely. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Mama-My opinion is once races start again is when entries will jump up,until then I cant see many filling.
    Cal-Thats a good time on your own,might do a couple if mini races myself.
    Shades-I disagree about headphones,I run listening to podcasts,its just about the only time I get to switch off and choose to do it,only have 1 ear in so I can listen for cars,as for races I dont there but if its allowed in the rules then I have no issue with others doing it.
    Big G-Another good week for you there.
    Rcoutoure-Good miles yourself.
    8 after work for me,felt nice,average easy pace is crepping to 8 min/mile now which is ideally where I want it to be.
  • Cozy - wouldn't get too dishearted about the joggers article, we're runners lol.  I've seen plenty of slagging off on local social media pages.  I keep my routes off the busy towpaths and parks when possible. 

Cal well done on the virtual parkrun, not a bad time by yourself, glad you didn't fall, I don't recommend falling over.  I've never really used earphones for running but do get frustrated when people don't know whats going on around them.

Shades - same about the fly tipping, would think we'll see more whilst dumps are closed and bin collections are being limited by various councils. 

Rcouture - I've used bone conductor earphones a couple of times, I was impressed how they work and was still able to hear everything around.  

MF - Alot will depend on how many spring races have postponed and how long we're locked in for, I don't think I'll enter any races until I know they will be running.

Ian - well done on the solid 8 miles, hope work is easing off.

My 2 colleagues at work in my team are struggling mentally with work from home in solidarity, I'm quite enjoying it myself as I'm not getting constantly getting interrupted and am able to do my basic job well without the supervisory stuff that goes with it.

Now my open uni studies have been affected, I only have one assignment and no final year piece.  It works well in my favour and only need to score 75% in my final assignment to get a 1st score which will go towards my classification.

6.5 miles off road for me today, lovely weather and for majority of the run didn't see too many people.  Hip twinge isn't so sore now so hopefully be able to keep on ticking over.  Need to do some core work/ S&C soon to go along with the running.   
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you are getting back to it, Rob. I must admit I find it harder to motivate myself to do S&C at home - going to the gym requires a bit of effort but once I'm there I just get on with it. Not an option now, though.

Rcouture - it's not usually the runners with headphones I'm worried about (unless I'm in a race and they are in my way, but a tap on the shoulder usually sorts that out) - its the idiots bimbling down the centre of the pavement oblivious to the fact there is someone trying to get past.

mamafox, glad your hammy is behaving. Personally I am not entering anything else until lockdowns are lifted. When parkrun resumes it'll safe to enter things.

Shades, I kind of wish the weather would be rubbish now and I could feel happier about being inside. However, I am enjoying my runs, so there's that.

My own run was half really nice and half not so nice. I was going to do a longer run today (not long long, but 14 miles or so) and decided on going back to the Wandle Trail as it would be dry now (which it was). One of my long run routes is up the Wandle Trail to Morden Hall Park, then I divert down to South Wimbledon and on to Wimbledon Common. This time I came out of the park, crossed the road and found another park where the trail continued. I carried on down the trail for much longer, really enjoying it, although I wasn't quite sure where it came out. Ultimately it ends up in Croydon, but I didn't want to go quite that far so when it came to a bit where I'd have to cross a road, I took the road instead. I found myself by Mitcham Common and was quite tempted to do a bit of that, but I wasn't quite sure which bit of Mitcham Common it was (it's rather big and I only really know one bit of it) and I was also getting a bit thirsty. I take water for longer runs but I've run up to 15 miles without, but it was starting to get rather warm.
    At this point I didn't really know where I was going - I had a rough idea of where I was but I don't know Mitcham well so I was literally using the sun to navigate. I was also starting to get low abdominal pains, which I've had before (notably towards the end of Kingston half) so I decided I wouldn't run further than I had to.
    Eventually I found my way back to a road I knew and made my way home from there. 12 miles total, though it seemed longer. It's funny how I can run 12 miles around local roads and it doesn't seem that far, but when you run somewhere new it seems a lot further.
    I did feel tired towards the end, though I expect that I was probably a bit dehydrated. I will take water next time.
    Nice to explore a bit, though - saw two herons, a coot with her chicks and some bluebells.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    mamafox - thank heavens you have 2 eggs, I thought you were starving yourself.  ;) 

Re the Hoka shoes, don't know anything about the Infinity but Bondi and Arahi are both on my wish list, I've noted that the Bondi are the most cushioned and the Arahi for mild overpronator, so think I will go for whichever I can get at a decent price.

It must be hard for the children, missing their friends, a couple of weeks is a very long time for them, I hope none of them are lovesick teenagers not being about to see their boyfriend/girlfriend. :'( 
    Any news on the what's happening about your lockdown.

Good news about the sciatica, it should go quickly now.

Re La Rochelle, I think the others are right in saying that once we come out of this pandemic, marathon entries will go crazy.   Perhaps read the terms and conditions or email the organisers and ask what their policy will be on refunds if the event can't go ahead.  Then if they offer deferment or a refund you can enter now and at least hopefully have a target event to train for.
    I was dithering yesterday about entering an ultra in November, I think I will though as the organiser has stated it will be a choice of a full refund, except for the admin fee of £3, or a deferment to next year.

Rcouture/Ian - but you don't wear headphones for races and you both make sure you're aware of the world around you.   I don't have anything against the use of headphones in training if used properly and not used all the time.     But it's those with no spatial awareness and bad manners that I despise.
    I've used them in track ultras 12 or 24 hour as the music can help at those low points, also useful if someone tags onto you that you want to get rid of, putting headphones on does that.

Ian - I would like to see headphones banned from all races.   I've seen a stupid bitch running down the road in front of an ambulance on a blue light.  I've been tripped up by a runner wearing headphones in a race where they were banned.    I politely pointed out she shouldn't be wearing them, she didn't apologise for tripping me up nor did she remove her headphones, so she ran her first marathon and I asked the race director to disqualify her, which he did.  Apparently she denied wearing headphones during the race but the silly cow forgot about the race photos and there were something like 10 photos of her wearing them.

That's good news on the training pace.

Robert - non runners are often quite hostile to runners.   They're the same folk that say running is bad for you, they're usually those that don't do enough exercise and don't like us runners to remind them of that fact.

Yes, unfortunately there will be a lot more fly tipping.   So far our bin collections have been OK but they're short staffed, I saw our black bin lorry this week which normally has 4 operatives but this week only had 2 and the guys were running down the road and working their socks off, they must be really fit.  

That's great news on your OU studies, no final assignment looming over you.

I can understand that about your work colleagues, WFH is not for everyone.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Cal - I agree, if we had the usual April weather with Easter coming up, lots of rain, it wouldn't feel so bad being confined to barracks.

Interesting run for you today.  I'm sure when running where you're not 100% sure of the route/location it naturally heightens the adrenaline levels and heartrate.   Was warmer today though too.

I did my favourite 8 mile hilly route today.   Saw a buzzard sitting in a tree above the road, quite close to me, we just stared at each other, then a flock of Canada geese off to demolish a farmer's grass somewhere, love to see the geese flying.   Lots of cute lambs enjoying the sunshine.   Birds singing their heads off and the smell of the blossom is lovely.   

I saw more runners this morning, one girl was running towards me on the wrong side of the road.   Road is not too narrow, room for 2 cars but only if they slow down, she had those comedy big headphones on, she totally blanked me, silly cow.   Then I passed a girl out for a walk, she was heading in the same direction as me but on the wrong side of the road, when I passed here she didn't hear me coming and was wearing headphones.   What is it that folk don't know which side of the road to walk/run on if there's no pavement.   If a car knocked them down they would be quick enough to blame the poor car driver.
    All the other runners I saw, some with headphones, most without all spoke and/or waved.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, I worked from home from 2003-2015.  On occasion I was on a particular project where I was away for a few weeks (mainly at the start of a new project to kick it off) and put up in hotels etc, but I'd say around 80% of those years I was at home.  It suited me perfectly to be honest, and also it suited my job role.  I was a manager of a team of software developers who were based in India, and the designers mainly were based in Ipswich and London, and 'customers' (other BT people) were all over the country.  So I was on phone/conference calls a lot of the time, which of course can be done from anywhere.  Also, with the time difference between UK and India, it meant that if needed I could start earlier, do a few hours, take a long lunch, and then finish up in the afternoon with the UK team.  I really enjoyed the flexibility and for me, not having to waste time commuting was worth a lot (I don't mean financial, but I mean the time saved).  It's not for everyone, but when I got the opportunity to WFH I jumped at the chance.  These things go in cycles though, because as I was leaving BT in 2015, there was a lot of talk about moving homeworkers back to the office, whereas in 2002/2003 it was more encouraged.

Funny that Cal, as I'm the other way.  If I'm in a new area, as long as I've got a route/GPX on my watch, I find the miles/time tick by more quickly.  Well done on your 12.

When I woke this morning I was initially thinking about doing about 15 myself, but in the end as I stepped out the door I settled on aiming for 10 as legs were a just bit tired/sore.  I went on a regular route of mine and I was out around 8:15am and so it was quite quiet out - the few out were mainly other runners, and dog walkers, everyone polite and cheery.  I did the 10 although was feeling a bit sluggish towards the end, so I'll see how I am tomorrow.  60 miles for the week so 10 less than last week, but I've no issues with that as I'm not following a plan really.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    That's a good amount of miles, Big G. I did 45 this week, so about 10 miles less than peak, but like you I'm fine with that. I need to average 40 or so to hit my goal annual mileage (I'm hoping to do 2020) so I'm on target.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Depressing seeing the footage from Richmond and Hove etc :( I fear the government may put further measures in place if there are more issues today. Locally, Paignton Police put a post up thanking locals for being sensible with a couple of pictures of empty roads etc. They’ve closed the sea front so no cars allowed and I have to say at the times I’ve been out (even in areas that may be popular) it’s been easy to do the social distancing.