Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Big G - Interesting about the chickens. I presumed that as markets are closed there's no way to buy a chicken as that's where I normally buy them. I'll have to look into some other options then.

Shades - No, three chickens aren't enough for us. The girls are a bit stressed at the moment too with everyone home. Think they're feeling the pressure!
    That was an interesting article about base training. He didn't mention HR so as I understand it he advocates "feels like" easy running with time spent running.
    Bet those cyclists will shift into the road next time they see you ;)

Cal - Don't think I've ever seen anyone walking a cat!
     I know absolutely nothing about London but where you live is pretty central isn't it? I was thinking about you on my run this morning and wondering if that when you do your long runs you ever do a proper tourist type route and run past Buckingham palace, Big Ben etc.. bet there's so much to look at.

Lovely 15k up over the wind farm this morning. Beautiful morning which has turned quite hot this afternoon, about 27 degrees now so I'm glad I went out when I did.
    Naturewatch: one deer, one snake (dead) and one badger(dead).
  • MF Good work getting out early for a run, hope you enjoy the sun this afternoon.  

Cal, do you ever run along the Thames path, seen some parts have been closed between 10am and 6pm for runners and cyclists (saw a fb post for around Hammersmith way.

Shades - seems to be a common problem, the 'fatties' don't move out the way, my run on Tuesday encountered the same problem, forcing me over off the path onto ploughed grass.  again a few words of advice given.  A question about shoes that I've not found the answer.... whats the difference between a guides 9/10 and ISO?

Big G - glad the talk of virtuals has died down, it would cheapen the achievement of 100mc, I understand people are upset they can't add to their number but I'm enjoying just getting out there and running for me and not focusing on any events.  It has made me realise I'm nowhere fit enough to enjoy a marathon yet.  Had we not been on lockdown, I'd probably endured a few just for the sake of doing them.

Ian hope you're feeling better and nothing serious.

Centurion running have done a brill job of keeping everyone informed of plans if things don't go well.  I had a volunteer place for NDW50 in May, thats been postponed till July but have been told it has a 3rd date agreed in November, if that race doesn't go ahead they will defer all places (inc my free place) to 2021.  The have also said they are considering various options such as no pre race briefing, everything being posted out, sending runners off in staggered waves, having more space at aid stations, having sanitiser at aid stations etc etc.  Obs will align with government guidelines but was a great read being open and honest with runners.

Sister's b day today, wouldn't normally see her but felt weird that the only way I could see her was via facetime. 

Shades/ Big G sure you're getting your fair share of holiday makers down your way, Elle's family live in Hayle and work in retail shops.  They said majority of the people in shops aren't local.  Police should have blocked the roads.  I saw a caravan was overturned on the way to Tiverton a couple of days ago? Why people can't do as they're told is beyond me. 

Really enjoying my running on trails and country lanes, hoping to get out this evening for a short run and plan a longer run tomorrow.  Need to get myself focused back on my open uni course and get the final bit in for this year.  
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    All good again today,I think it was a touch of dehydration.
    10 miles after an early finish in work,one of my Assistant Managers is back now so should get some time back.
  • Good news Ian, I’m bad for not drinking during the day, especially with the weather need to top up the fluids. 

4.5 miles earlier found a little trail that I hadn’t seen before.  Hoping to get out early tomorrow for a run 10 or so miles, am going to try some new trails that I’ve seen pals run recently 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I am in  SW London, Zone 3 on the tube, so not quite central but I can get up to town quite easily, mamafox/Rob. I generally don't run up that way as I prefer to run around the commons and parks closer to home. I've done a few races on the Thames Path but as I have to cross some busy roads to get there, I've never done it as part of a training run.

I succumbed and ordered some Peg Turbos as Nike were having a sale. Just under £80 so not bad. Will give me a chance to find out if I will be happy to replace my Epics with them on training runs (still have two pairs of Epics in their boxes, but after that, they're gone so I'm hoping I like the Turbos).
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I had another crack at running a 5K today - I do parkrun every week after all, and it's been useful for working on my speed. Went out early again and jogged a mile to warm-up (didn't trip this time!) then started on my 5K. I am not sure what changed as I didn't feel appreciably different, but the first mile was 30 seconds slower than last week and although I got a bit quicker on subsequent miles, I could only manage 25:42. Not sure if it was down to poorer sleep this week (as it's now warm I get hot at night and wake up a few times) or the fact I did hill repeats on Thursday, but I couldn't seem to push as hard. I think I could have done with another mile in my warm-up this week, maybe.
    It was still a lovely morning and I did a further three miles to cool-down rather than just the one - the cherry blossoms are incredible at the moment.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - many of the cyclists on the pavement genuinely think they have a right to ride on the pavement.

Are the Pegasus a potential race shoe for you?   

You're right the blossoms are amazing this year, it's really a beautiful Spring.

mamafox - I suppose you can just buy chickens direct from a farm, I think that's what most people do in the UK, they certainly don't go to market to buy them.  I'm talking about folk that just keep a few in their back garden.

Unfortunately if I see those cyclists again :# they won't move out the way or stop, they are the ignorant folk that think they have a right to be there, well certainly the husband was.   Next time I'll turn off my Garmin and block the pavement and make them get off, but I probably won't get the chance to do that, I have a feeling that the wife won't be going out cycling again, she looked like she was hating it.

What's the latest news on your lockdown, no change yet?

Robert - I saw a clip on the news about the Thames Path, makes sense as it was busy.

Re the Guides, 9 and 10 not a lot of difference, I prefer the 10's I think the cushioning is better.  ISO stands for ISOFIT which is supposed to be a better fit to the foot.   I only have one pair of the ISO  1's and the fit is worse for me, haven't tried the ISO 2's yet, I believe they are a better fit.  Now they've gone back to numbers so the current model is Guide 13, not tried them yet.    Ian uses Guides so may be able to help with more info.

re Centurion's plan for self distancing at events, the marathon I was supposed to be doing today had planned to do that and they had similar measures to what you've mentioned, plus not being allowed to hang around at the finish.   But they had to cancel when unnecessary travel restrictions were brought in, even before the lockdown.

I haven't heard if the police had to deal with a lot of folk breaking the unnecessary travel etc, but down here they are intending to fine them now rather than just tell them off.   In some places residents have been asked to report 2nd home owners if they turn up.   But some of those extra people in places such as Hayle will come from fairly close too, not everyone has a Cornish accent, masses of people have retired to Cornwall.

Ian - glad you're OK again and your 2nd in command is back at work too.

7 miles today, another beautiful morning here.   I did a lower body session workout and my legs felt tired this morning and it was supposed to be a 'hilly' day so I set out on an undulating route then decided to put a decent hill in, 135 feet climb in one mile.   Did an out an back route so was a joy to run down that 135 feet on the way home.   Total climb for the whole 7 miles only 369 ft so an easier day, although it didn't really feel that easy.

Saw my neighbour last night.  Thankfully her son is now off the ventilator and recovering, still in hospital and will be for a while yet.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    With the lockdown as I have a little more time to spare, I'm trying to do something useful like sort and declutter stuff.   Have started on my large built in wardrobe which has masses of stuff, not just clothes to sort out.
    Yesterday I found this, from my first marathon 25 years ago....a life changing day for me :)

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Wow, vintage!
    And no...I'm looking at them more as a replacement for the Epics as a long run shoe. They are quite fast as they have the same foam as the Vaporfly, but no carbon plate.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - hope they are good for the long runs then, trying them out tomorrow?

I'm not decluttering today, I'm trawling the websites choosing my shoes.    :)

If anybody uses Sports Direct free delivery on orders over £50.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    That’s a really cool find Shades. I am starting a collection of my racing stuff. So far it has a whole two half mara medals 😀

8 miles easy today with some hill repeats in the common up what is an absolute killer of a hill. Sunbathers/amblers seem to have gotten the message and the police were out in both Wimbledon Park and the common so everyone seemed more sensible. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Rcouture, if it’s not too late, maybe think about keeping race numbers too?  It’s something I’d like to have done. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - that's really good news that the park wasn't packed out.

Big G - not sure keeping race numbers is such a good idea.   I had a friend used to keep all race stuff in folders and I was staying at his house the night before Beachy Head and he brought out these files.  It was so boring looking at race numbers etc. and I was so tired after a 7 hour drive.
    However if they're special events then that's different.

I did find this yesterday too....

Have ordered a pair of Saucony Hurricanes', a possible replacement for my Guides as a marathon shoe, when ever we might get a chance to run a marathon again.   :/
  • Cal it’s rude not to buy shoes at bargain prices... you did the right thing! 

Shades hope there weren’t goodies left in the marathon goodie bag.  I wish I kept a few bits from my 1st marathon... Timex gave us a fridge magnet that you could peel your time off I think that’s up in the loft with the shirt and shorts I ran in.

Rcouture good to hear police presence, our local park in Hertford had loads of people sitting around this morning with oh ran through on her run.  I wish I kept race numbers now too.

Got out at 10am just before it got too warm 7 miles and hit some different roads and trails, finding different routes linking up different routes I run.  

• Shades Elle loves her hurricanes think got them for £63 a few months ago.  I’m currently using guides iso (had the 9s previously and hurricane iso too) prob need to get other pair as don’t want to use my adrenalines until I am able to race again 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, it’s not something I’d have had on display or anything. But I’d have written my times and brief notes on the back as a reminder for myself more than anything.  Apart from a few decent medals for key events (London, Malta - the one that never happened!, Berlin, Barca etc) my favourite mementos are the LDWA certificates plus the associated paperwork with the CP stamps on. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Shades - no, they haven't arrived yet.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - can't remember what was in the goody bag.  I still have the medal but binned the t-shirt as unwearable due to huge size.  I think at that time it was one size fits all.
    I haven't kept the kit that I wore, that's a football thing isn't it to keep the shirt?

These Hurricanes are ISO 5's, £70, from Sportsshoes, 9 pence cheaper from Start Fitness but they didn't have the nice pale green colour.

Big G - that's what my friend had done was write on the back of the number.  I put my race details in my race diary and not long ago put the info on a spreadsheet and threw away the diaries.  I think I'm close to 500 races over all distances right now.   Always had a separate spreadsheet for the marathon and ultra races of course.  I am intending to frame the 300, 200 and 100 at some point and if I ever get to 400 which isn't looking too likely right now.

I'm going to shred my LDWA certificates as never looked at them and only kept them as evidence while building up to the 100.

Cal - sorry, forgot you hadn't actually received them yet  :/
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades/Rob- I like the ISO 2's I'm wearing now,feel a bit different from the guide and took a little getting used to but all good now,OH decided she wanted a sun visor so I said I'll get some more shoes to save paying delivery so have another pair on the way.
    I have kept my major numbers,incase I ever do something with them all,but now I'm not going Boston I'm unlikely to get to do all 6 as can't see myself going across just for that and Chicago.
    Another 10 today,brings me to 49.5 with tomorrow to come.
    The only people I consistently breaking the rules are cyclists,either that it or a disproportionate amount of male cyclists live together.
  • Shades - the only reason why I kept the kit was I bought the shirt at the expo and got my name printed on it, so wouldn’t wear it again.football shirts are kept/swapped is something from top level games (nothing I ever experienced) spose there are no participation medals for each game, seen a number of ex players auction theirs off for money to go to nhs funds which is a nice gesture, saves a trip to the dump when they open :D  .  I think even at VLM 2011 the shirt was one size fits all cheap fruit on the loom shirt with Adidas printed on it (large men’s). Elle really finds the shoes comfortable unfortunately doesn’t run as often as she likes.  

Ian very shrewd shopping and a brill reason to get more shoes! Good mileage for the week! 

Spent the afternoon in the garden mainly relaxing but a bit of work, hoping the cats will be able to come out and enjoy it as we’ve kept them as indoor cats so far, one had ventured out a few times but very timid.  
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - would have been ridiculous to not make use of the delivery charge in that situation. :) 

Good point about the cyclists....if they get in the way can always comment 'didn't know you two guys were a couple'  :) 

I'm ordering a pair of ISO 2's today from Start Fitness, still at £54 from them.   I've had various refunds from race entries and hotels but they've come back on two separate credit cards so of course I still have to use up the credit on the second card.   :)   Restocking my shoe stable is a small consolation to myself for all those cancelled races.

Incidentally re delivery charges, Wiggle is free delivery over £16 and Pete Bland Sports are free delivery for anything over £24.99.   Both are really good companies to deal with, service etc., although their stock on shoes IMHO is limited compared to Sportsshoes and Start Fitness.
     One of my favourite training shoes, Saucony Swerve, I bought from Pete Bland for £25 a while ago.   I believe they were at the time a substitute for the Jazz, can't get Swerves anywhere now so might try Jazz at some time, think I can pick up a pair for £40.   Another shoe on the wish list :/

Robert - that explains keeping the shirt then.

I'm sure the cats will soon start to enjoy going outdoors especially if it's warm and sunny, you might get a bit of peace too as hopefully they'll only come indoors to eat and sleep after a while.

I had a really restless night's sleep so have decided to take a rest day today, it's nearly 2 weeks since my last rest day.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-If it is a while until you use the credit card,you are allowed to get it back in cash,we had £300 refunded a while ago and got the CC company to give us it back.
    Currently planning our Barcelona trip,if it goes ahead,going to race there then go to canaries for a few days to relax.OH is still training well,in the last couple of weeks she has seen the benefit of all her eady running as now running a lot faster for the same effort.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian -    I have less than £50 on each card in credit and don't want a refund.   My hotel refunds were Travelodge and Premier at saver rates so inexpensive.  I still have a couple of race refunds to come back to me yet.

My flights were transferred to a later date although not sure what I'll do as I have flights booked for July and August so might need to get a refund on them.
    Credit card providers hate if you go into credit.   Years ago credit cards even gave you interest if you were in credit, some folk would save their spending money for holidays like that, the credit card companies put a stop to that.

When are you planning to go to Barcelona?   OH is doing so well, she's going to storm her next race. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    The marathon is rescheduled for October 25th so we are going to do that hopefully,it's 3 weeks after Chester so ideal timing for me.
    Chester also have a 16 mile race,do you think that would be ok for OH to race,or is 3 weeks too close for her first?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - hopefully we'll all be back racing by then.

No not too close for your OH to race, after all she's prepared over a very long time for this.   She could race to half marathon distance, to give her a time for a half to use as a guideline for Barcelona and then ease up for the last 3 miles.

Actually that might be really hard to do, maybe run easy for the first 3 miles then race the last 13.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I've been out for a walk, lovely day and very quiet, picked up some milk on the way back.   Only saw one runner and he wearing a mask.   Not sure why he's wearing a mask, there was only him and me in the street and that is in the middle of town, anywhere else he runs will be even quieter and running in a mask must be so hard.  

Today will be the test of the 'staying at home' as the supermarkets are closed so there should be almost no traffic on the road.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-She will have had the longest build up ever,be just about a year.I'm really hoping we are racing by then,whenever we do start again I'll be trying to race as many as I can.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I had a restless night too, Shades - I think it's the warmer weather. I get very hot in bed which then wakes me up. I actually got up at 3:20am in the end - I can always have a nap this afternoon if I'm tired. As I was planning a longer run today, I decided to make the most of my early wakefulness and I went out at 5 (I always need 90 minutes or so between waking and running). I decided on Wimbledon Common as I could stick to well lit roads and by the time I'd reach the common, it would be light (this was going directly there, rather than up part of the Wandle Trail and then around Morden Hall Park, which I do for a 20 miler).
    After huffing up The Downs, which is the steep (10%) road to get to the common, I was there well in time for sunrise. It was very pleasant - not many people around at 6am and those I saw were friendly - most said good morning or at least smiled (including the walkers and one guy on a bike).
    I hit 10 miles after a lap of the common (well, not a full lap - just the lap I usually do) so headed back. If I reached 14 miles that would be 600 for the year so far, but if I did 15 I'd have done 50 this week so once I got back to Tooting Bec I did a half loop of the common and headed home for the 15 in just under 2:37, which meant I was back for 7:45am.
    Averaged 10:27 pace but the pace itself varied a lot depending on terrain - still, not bad at all.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - she will have had what should be an ideal build up.   I think race entries will go crazy when the government confirms that events can go ahead.   I'm not sure I'll be trying to race as many as I can, although numbers wise I have some catching up to do.   But I will savour every race I do as something to really be enjoyed and not taken for granted.

Just ordered my Guides, ISO 2, £50+ carriage.  :) 

Cal - definitely not the warmer weather that caused me a disturbed night, I'm in a ground floor flat so the temperature doesn't alter because of a warm day or two. 

Sounds like a most enjoyable run, lovely running weather especially early in the morning.

Any news on your ultra in June going ahead/cancelled?
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    No news at all - I can't see it happening though. I'm not sure I want it to, either, as I won't be doing it off the back of two spring marathons and sufficient mileage.