Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - if your race does go ahead, you won't mind the lack of marathons as prep, you'll just be so happy to be out there.   

I have a race on 21st June in Ireland, haven't heard about that one yet, I expect it to be cancelled.   In Ireland Althetics Ireland are not issuing race permits for any more events postponed to later in the year.   This might be a sign that no races for 2020 at all or just a wait and see policy. 
  • Nice bit of shopping shades, has to be a silver lining in all this. Well deserved rest day! 

Ian the 16 miler would be great prep for race day too! 

Cal one of the things I enjoy about ultras is you don’t need to be as race fit for them, they are a slower pace so not having the marathon training won’t do much harm, you’ve been keeping the mileage up which would be a great base.

still hoping for NDW50 and or FVC in July to be on, will just have to wait and see.

12.5 miles for me today, was warm out and only ran with 300ml of water but made it last.  Nice country roads, mainly cyclists and all seemed to behave, passed a couple of WJ and stoped for a quick chat.  Really struggled for the final 3 miles.

37.5 miles for the week, will check but probably not ran that many since my pf started September 2018.  I’m still running a minute slower per mile than I was before all this but making progress 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Nice stupid o'clock running.
    14 for me brings up 64 miles for the week,think it's my 2nd highest total.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Ian, very good mileage there on top of all the work you're doing.  Well done.  I have been caught out a couple of times with movements of Spring events to the Autumn.  I.E, when you mentioned Barca's date I thought I'd have a look into it, but it's the same day as Frankfurt.  Something similar happened when Krakow moved their date.  Can't do it all!  

Robert, I've been out in the garden a lot too. Very slow progress in my case, plus in the middle of the day it's too hot for me to be doing too much, so that was the time I got the pizza oven going :)   Good mileage from you too.

Cal, well done on your running too.  You're doing great and seems you're enjoying it.

Shades, I'm in two minds at the moment - i.e, do what Ian suggests and just crack on with the races as soon and as quickly as possible, or take my time.  One day I think one thing and the next day something else.  Funny we're all different isn't it as I love my LDWA certs.  Sweat, mud and in one case blood tell a story for me.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I wont be foung crazy amount of marathons like you guys,but got 1 in September,2 in October and probably 1 in November if we get the all clear.
  • Nice mileage Ian! 

Big G it’s been mainly Elle doing the garden, I have assisted but can’t take much credit. Pizza oven sounds amazing, do you ever make your own from scratch? 

I have considered LDWA events, I’m a sucker for a medal though, I don’t need anything special just a piece of medal with a ribbon as a momentum for marathons/ ultras.  Just given myself a thought, I may get some lanyards and pop the certificate in a plastic wallet.

managed to get a online delivery on Wednesday With Tesco, you can only order 80 items which for 4 people is tough as will be trying to buy for 2 weeks.  
  • Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Evening folks..hope you are well.
    well today I descended into the realms of utter madness and decided to run a marathon around my block..the lap was 0.22 miles so 119 laps which I rounded up to 120. Each lap was 31.7 feet of elevation.. at about 20 laps in, one of the neighbours that was watching asked if I was doing it for charity. Now initially I wasn’t but one of the other neighbours decided to go round and collect money for the local NHS trust. My OH set up a just giving page and by the time I had finished I had raised £342.20 plus £29 in gift aid.. quite a few of the neighbourhood were out cheering me on which helped when I was tired... I wasn’t concerned by time, I just wanted to do it which I did..

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, yes, I make the dough myself - it’s a Paul Hollywood special :) Very easy recipe for the base and then just put what ever you want on each. A couple of years ago I would have said this was very, very wrong for a pizza but it turns out Nutella, strawberries and blueberries on a pizza is a brilliant combination :) We got the oven from The Range last year and it gets up to about 400 and then each pizza takes about 5mins.  
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Iain - wow, you absolute champ! Fantastic job.
    Rob, sounds like you're well on the mend there. Rather like you I want a medal for my efforts. I will do the odd club race that doesn't have them but it's generally shorter races and relays.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Iain, I can't really imagine doing that on my own.  I bet the neighbours were intrigued!
  • Iain I had similar thoughts of doing something like that... that’s where is stayed, just as a thought. Credit to you and good that the neighbours got behind you! 

Cal - I was a bit gutted when there was only 1 medal for my multi marathon 3 day event.  I don’t mind no medal for shorter events either.

Big G I’m not a sweet tooth person when it comes to savoury foods but that pizza topping sounds good.

yesterdays run felt like a marathon effort, was warm out 23 degrees.  Sleepless night so today will be either a walk or a short easy run
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Robert - a good week's mileage for you.   And to be only one minute per mile slower pre your fall etc is astounding progress.    You're going to come out of this faster than before I think.

You'll get over your medal thing.   I like a medal but it's not important to me.   Some folk like the certificates and the nice ones can be framed.

Ian - great mileage too, and you did that without any very long runs either?

Big G - I thought it was about time you got that pizza oven going.   Sorry you won't convince me re the Nutella, sounds disgusting. 🤮

Iain - that's great you raised some funds for the NHS but I do hope you haven't publicised what you've done.  IMHO what you've done was really stupid   Make sure it's not on FB or Strava and certainly don't let the press find out.  if it becomes public you have seriously jeopardised exercise restrictions for the rest of us.   Unless you live in a gated estate, you might get away with it then as that is private property.   There's a reason others have done their 'marathons' in their gardens.  If others see what you've done then they'll do the same pushing the boundaries of the restrictions and we'll end up being limited to an hour a day by law.    By all means when restrictions are lifted then publicise it and your fundraising efforts but not now.    

7 miles today, sharp cold wind but good apart from that.   Sad to see 8-10 cars in the dog walking car park, lazy idiots that won't walk their dogs from their home.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-My longest run was yesterdays at 14.6 miles,other than that they were all 8-12 miles.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Ian - I think training at distances of 8-12 miles is the best for developing speed/endurance as not enough to really tire you out.

Robert - xpost, your turn for the sleepless night. :(   After my sleepless night I had a really good night's sleep last night, so you can look forward to tonight.  :)
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Current plan is to get used to this type of mileage and gradually build my longer run up,I'll occasionally cut it back a bit though.
    10 before work today,bit windy at times but otherwise really nice to run in,not too many people about.
  • Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Shades - I was never more than 150m from my house and I ran in the middle of the road and was never closer than 2m to anyone. It seemed to lift the spirits of the neighbourhood. Our road is very quiet because it is a no through road the only traffic was from residents. There were plenty of cyclists and other runners along the main road which I avoided.. if I had run one of my usual routes, I would of encountered plenty more people even on my much shorter runs.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Iain - I have no concerns that you weren't doing social distancing at all times.  But other countries limited or banned exercise because runners and cyclists were going out for longer than could be considered a reasonable time and thus spoilt it for everyone else.  If your run becomes public what will stop folk going to busy city parks and strolling around for 4 hours, if that happens there will be too many people out and about and we'll have our exercise limited.  
    Why do you think the other guys did the running in their gardens and not up and down their street?
    This is only a problem if your run is publicised in any way, so make sure it's not on FB or Strava and when restrictions are lifted/eased then you can talk about it freely.

Ian - that's what I'm planning to do too, although I'm not doing as many miles as you.

Robert - how do you manage the food shop with limited number of items? There are lots of products that don't do large or multi packs. 
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Iain - The temptation to stop every time you ran past your front door must have been really difficult to resist! I guess the support you had from your neighbours must have helped a bit.

Big G - Not sure about Nutella on a pizza either. After living over here for so long one taste that I cannot bring myself to get accustomed to is Nutella on bread. My kids all love it but even though I can happily eat it in spoonfuls from the jar - not proud of that btw!- I cannot stomach the concept of Nutella on bread. Same with our patisseries.. no way can I eat a pain au chocolat. Strange.

Rubbish running from me. The hayfever season seems to have kicked in earlier than normal and I am wheezy and feeling like a slug. Great. 12k done this morning and although it was the most beautiful morning I really didn't do it justice. Awful run. Beginning to wonder if I'll ever run properly again. Will try and motivate myself this afternoon by getting my summer kit down from the top of the wardrobe and sorting that out. There.. I've put it on the thread now so I'll have to do it! I'll do it after I've cleaned the church.
    We've had a death in the village so I've been asked to go down and check the church is ok for the funeral tomorrow. This only involves a bit of dusting and sweeping up bat droppings and I'll take the teenagers down to help so it'll be done quicker. I would like to take my music system down as the acoustics in the church are amazing but can't bring myself to do it as it feels wrong somehow.

As regards to our deconfinement progress Shades, it still seems terribly vague. There has been talk of progressively opening up the country region by region, starting with those least affected first but this hasn't been confirmed. Tonight at 8pm the president will give his third official speech on the situation and normally we'll have a bit more clarity then.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Oh wow, MF.  That's one of the things I LOVE about the times I've been in France, or NL etc - the morning trips to the local bakery to get pain au chocolat etc, even better if still warm.  In Spain they have these small, sugared donuts with a lemon cream inside them.  They are absolutely gorgeous....I remember I had a few of those before Barca and San Sebastian marathons :)  I'm drooling now.  Never thought I had a particularly sweet tooth, but maybe I do :D 

OH did go a step too far though, even for me.  She went for Nutella, peanut butter and ripe banana on a pizza for her pud.  That was too sweet for me.  I should clarify that we make them fairly small, and the other ones we had were all cheese-based.  
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Lots of places around Europe (Germany, Austria and even Spain) are looking at softening confinement soon so will be interesting to see how that impacts new cases since we are behind them by a couple of weeks. 
    I love Nutella on anything to be honest though maybe pizza is a stretch! One of the benefits of confinement is that I’ve been able to cook a lot more which is a hobby I sadly don’t usually have much time for. I’m still working as many hours as I usually do but not having a commute means I have two extra hours a day to play with. Making ravioli today with the little one who will no doubt muck it up a bit but that’s part of the game. 
    13 miles for me today at a pretty fast pace (for me at least which is 8:50min/mi) which felt comfortable. Surprising that I feel much faster than I ever have despite decreasing mileage and taking a break. I think it must just be the strength training which seems to be having a big impact on speed and endurance. Makes me feel thick for not doing it earlier!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Mamafox - I'm with you on the chocolat on bread.  I've never eaten a pain au chocolate, I'd eat almond type though.   Wouldn't eat Nutella either, all sugar and fat, very little hazelnuts.  I think it's palm oil too.  I like chocolate and chocolate cake but don't like chocolate flavoured stuff like milkshakes etc.

Shame about the hay fever but it will pass.

Sorry to hear about the death in your village. I take it Coronavirus was the cause.  Churches are closed here and mourners limited to just a few close family for funerals.

Re restrictions, I think France is a little behind Italy and Spain so I suppose your restrictions will continue for a while.

Rcouture - lovely that you now have time to cook and enjoy it too, especially with your little helper too.

I'm sure you're not being thick at all re recognising what works for you training wise.  What may have also helped is you are maybe less tired not having to commute to work.   Many runners spend years trying out different types of training to find what really works for them.
    Also you will become a stronger runner as time goes on, you'll also recover more quickly.  They say it takes ten years of hard training for a runner to reach their full potential.
  • Shades fingers crossed for some decent sleep tonight then, the 80 items would normally been okay for myself and Elle but with Chloe and Elles bro here it was impossible, thankfully got a click and collect with Asda now too.  A pack of bananas, pack of 4 chopped toms (all sold out) then a max of 3 tins of chopped toms makes things a bit harder and 5 bananas as 5 different items.  But between the 2 I’ve done okay... just see what subs we get now when all out of stock.

MF I share your pain with hay fever, really struggling with chest... then 2nd guessing if it’s COVID 😦 

Rcouture nice 13 miles, I cook a lot but don’t enjoy the process but enjoy the end results.  

Had a large road beef dinner for lunch so wasn’t going to be running anywhere after that, my legs were tired so went for a 5 mile walk with my aftershokz and my phone, some garage classics from my youth and I bopped and sung along bit nippy but an enjoyable experience.

one of my customers from pub I managed died from corona, health wasn’t great but still a shock.  
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - 5 bananas counting as 5 items is crazy, I suppose that's computers for you.   Even if you buy a pack is that still counted as 5?

Are you all self isolating or just choosing not to go shopping?   Mind you if you're sneezing, hopefully just hay fever, shopping not a good idea for you.

I made bolognese this week so tin tomatoes, passata and pasta on my shopping list too but not urgent, if I don't get them it won't matter.  I rarely eat pasta now anyway.

It brings it home when you hear about someone you know dying from Coronavirus. :( 

Very cold this morning, feels like -1, but I was expecting it so back to full winter kit.   Hills today, I often do a hilly run through a nearby village and there are 2 roads to the village, for some reason I've always favoured the right hand lane.   But today I took the left hand lane, it was a shorter route but that made it hillier and on the return run I had to stop at one point to catch my breath as it was just too Dartmooresque for me today.  So 7 miles and my Garmin said 659 feet of climb, I thought that was a lot so measured it on Mapometer which calculates the same as Strava and that came out at 849 feet of climb, so I guess my Garmin was right.  I don't feel so bad about having to stop for a bit on that steep hill.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nutella is full of palm oil. Colin is always banging on about palm oil and orangutans, and he point blank refuses to buy anything with palm oil in it so I have to be careful when buying treats for him. But as Shades says, it's also full of sugar. You're best off buying a more ethical chocolate spread or making your own.
    Shades, I'm not that keen on chocolate flavoured things either, though I love chocolate. Even cake, to be honest - I do like a good brownie (if I can find a decent gluten free one) but I'd rather have fruit cake than chocolate cake, and I prefer fruity desserts and ice cream. I think the texture of chocolate is one of its most appealing traits and that does not translate to cakes, ice creams and spreads. I also don't like the combination of chocolate and bread or chocolate and pastry. It just seems wrong to me. (I'd be tempted to risk gluten with those lemon donuts though, Big G).

Anyway, chocolate rant over. :D

Sorry to hear about the corona deaths. One of my mates lost his father last week - he'd been suffering from dementia and was in a home and corona swept through.

My rubbish sleep caught up with me yesterday - I woke up feeling like I'd been run over by a truck. Fortunately it was a rest day, but I ended up having to take a nap at 11am, and when I woke up I felt so drained and disorientated. Forced myself out for a three mile walk to try and wake myself up but I hated every second of it!
    I did feel a bit better this morning though far from epic (while I've never had hayfever in the past, I also feel a bit scratchy throaty, mamafox, so I reckon it is likely pollen) so got 8 miles done. I noticed the old SI joint feeling a bit sore towards the end so I gave myself a going over with the Theragun and Jesus Christ I'm tight! I couldn't even bear to put it on my calves.
    Not sure why I feel that bad, particularly after a rest day - Sunday's run was longish but nothing like I was doing back in January.
    Anyway, glad it's cooler now - I can hopefully sleep a bit better this week.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    I'm not a nutella fan but my lad would have it on absolutely anything.
    Taking today as a rest day,feel fine but should be able to run every other day this week and today is my longest work day.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - hope that's just a combination of poor sleep and maybe a bit of hay fever too and nothing more making you feel rough.

I do like chocolate brownies, forgot about them, not keen on fruit cake though.   Don't care for rich chocolate desserts.   Rather have fruit based desserts too.  Ice cream I like, but not chocolate flavoured.

I am not in any way obsessive about palm oil but I do try and avoid it.   It's in most peanut butters, but not as a major ingredient as it is in Nutella, so if I buy a nut butter I avoid the ones with palm oil.  
    But Nutella is mostly sugar and palm oil and comes in at 100 calories for one level tablespoon, 31% fat and 55% sugar, in fact I've heard nutritionists say you might as well give your child a bar of chocolate for breakfast.   There's only 13% hazelnuts in it for those that think it's a nut spread.

Sorry about your friend's father.   This virus is even more deadly for those in care homes, very sad.

Ian - going to be another high mileage week for you?
  • Shades if you buy a pack it only counts as one, however the packs are sold out usually.  We're not in isolation but prefer not to go,  Elle had a bad experience at the weekend.  The temp defo has dropped but looks like it'll build again during the week.

Cal - hope you catch up on the sleep, I've found myself napping at different times during the day, probably reason why I'm sleeping poorly at night.

Legs a bit tired this morning so will go for a short trot after work.
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Big G  - Don't think I've ever heard of a mixture of Nutella and peanut butter!

Cal - Sorry to hear that you're not feeling great. Maybe it's because of the mild winter, or all the rain.. I don't know but the hay fever is definitely earlier this year so that probably has got something to do with it.

Rob - It has also crossed my mind that getting a bad form of the virus on top of hay fever would be something to avoid.
    Must be difficult juggling on line shopping for a family of four if you're very restricted to numbers. What happened to Elle in the supermarket?

Ian - Was it you that was planning to do Barcelona? I didn't realise it had been postponed, I thought it had just been put off until next year. Had a look at the site after reading your post and they are taking entries for October. Although extremely tempted (Barca was one of my favourite marathons) I haven't entered. Finances are a bit sticky at the moment,  I'm finding it quite expensive feeding everyone plus OH has taken a drop in his salary for the two weeks he had to stay at home at the start of the virus outbreak. The government is supposedly going to be making up for this but it seems very complicated  :|

Shades - That sounds like a good run this morning.. if hilly! I have my classic repertoire of runs and don't really deviate much. Would you use that second road option again?

Lovely 12k run this morning. Although I had to walk a fair bit to keep my HR down it was much more enjoyable and didn't feel like I was heaving myself around. Charlie the Jack Russell came with me and enjoyed himself too. I don't normally take him if I have to go on the road a bit as he has absolutely no road sense but I took his lead so we were fine. He only has short legs but can keep going for a fair distance. Bit like me really.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes I'm hoping for 60 again,should be ok as work has settled.
    Mama-Yes I'm doing it,was originally doing it last month,they offeredro defer or the new date so we are going for the October option.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - if you mean the cans in 4's shrink wrapped, Tesco and I think others stopped doing those a few weeks ago to reduce plastic usage, so that might be why showing out of stock, not just due to demand.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51223214

mamafox - yes I will try that 2nd road option again, although I might put it off for a while.   I need to try and run up that hill without stopping next time :/ 

I hear your lockdown is extended for another 3 weeks?  

So good to hear Charlie is enjoying the lockdown.   

It must be a lot of cooking, everyone there for every meal, maybe you'll have to put your catering volume of cooking skills to use.   Cook for 60 and that should do them for 10 meals.

Ian - good, we have to make the most of our training time and I find it so good for clearing the brain in these strange times.

I do wish all the shopping would go back to normal though.  I ran past Aldi at 7.30 am yesterday and there's one old bloke poised in a determined manner with his trolley to be first in the queue and they don't open for another 30 minutes and it was a bank holiday too.