Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-We are letting elderly,vulnerable and key workers in at 7.30 so they can browse in quieter circumstances then purchase from 8,so that may have been why he was there.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that explains that, I didn't think that would happen on a bank holiday.   He was the only person there, the other cars were belonging to staff so he probably had a most enjoyable shop.
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Shades - Yes, everyone was in front of the tv last night to learn that our lockdown will continue up until May 11th. Normally schools and lycées will start progressively then as well, depending on how their area has been affected.  My daughter won't be going back to Paris though. The rest of her courses will continue on line. 

On a shopping note I was trying to think why I find it so unnerving to go into a supermarket now and I've realised it's not just all the protective screens, masked cashiers etc.. it's the SILENCE. I'm not sure if Britain is the same but over here it is just one person allowed in per family and you're also not allowed to stop and talk to anyone. The french are dead noisy, always gabbling away and you've normally got to slalom your way around groups of people nattering in the aisles but now.. nothing. Just people drifting along in their own little bubble. Very strange.
  • MF it does concern me also being slight asthmatic and getting the virus, touch wood I’ve not been ill for years but when I do, my chest is awful.  The adverts over here will tell you Tesco is a dream to shop at, very laid back, loads of cleaning, well organised one way to walk round the store.... unfortunately reality it’s a nightmare.... elle went shopping before she knew it there were people racing for Easter eggs of all things, people barging through she had a bit of a panic attack threw things into her trolley paid and left and opted to put local co op for the bits she left out in heat of the moment.

Our shops aren’t too strict but advise one adult where possible, it’s weird as I Do most the shopping, Elles been going to the shops for the last few weeks and I’ve got the delivery/ click collect for the next couple.  I’m usually in and out every day! 

Shades the 4 packs now come in cardboard boxes, it’s a good thing as means less space for crisps 🤣   

Ian I know most shops are doing it but think the concept of having the early slots are brilliant.  One thing that would be great to see is delivery / click and collect slots for front line staff the convenience would be huge.

Felt tired so went out for a run to perk up, decided just 5km but had no inspiration for a route, stuck local 8 loops of 640meters round the outskirts of our local cricket/ football fields.

Big day tomorrow will find out what we’ve won in the food lottery.... wonder what substitutions we’ll get 🤣 

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Mamafox - most supermarkets here are one person per trolley, which makes good sense.  I've noticed that more than one then they both wander around and get in the way and have long discussions about what to have for dinner etc and are oblivious to others around them.   We're allowed to talk but I saw that some shops don't want you to browse, just shop and leave, that makes sense for those shops operating a one in one out policy.

For you not being allowed to talk reminds me of The Handmaid's Tale, have you seen it?

Robert - maybe try a different time to shop? On one of the emails I had, not sure which store they advised going late, say one hour before closing.   So reluctantly this evening I went to Aldi at 7:15 and it was a dream, no more than 10 smiley customers all calm and relaxed, happy staff.  Got everything I wanted including passata and pasta, only had slightly more expensive tin tomatoes, plenty milk and bread etc.  I sailed around and home and unpacked in 35 minutes.
    So new shopping time for me from now on.   I drove past Sainsbury's and that looked quiet too.

Have fun unpacking the lottery food shop tomorrow.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Daniel Wanjiru,London winner 2017,the only one Eliud didn't race in,has been provisionally banned.Another high profile one.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian5 said:
    Daniel Wanjiru,London winner 2017,the only one Eliud didn't race in,has been provisionally banned.Another high profile one.
    Sadly it's never ending, but at least they're detecting some of them.    Has he had success since London 2017?

6 miles today, cold again and frosty too this morning.   But it is lovely spring weather and a joy to run on the quiet roads.   We do need rain now though.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-No success that I know of.
    We had a decent amount of rain a few nights ago,came down really heavy but none since.
    Think I will go out this afternoon as it looks nice and warm then.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - well we won't hear any more about him now.   But easily replaced by another, so much talent in Kenya and Ethiopia.

Good idea to run later, there was frost on the cars here this morning.   

We're due a little rain Fri and Sat but if we don't get some soon it will affect the farmers and our veg prices etc.   Tonight will be the last chilly night, so I'll think about turning my heating off after that :/  
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Shades / Ian - He also placed 5th in NYC a few years ago!
    Ian - Nice mileage.
    Iain - Nicely done.

Ticking over here, did 15 miles on Saturday and I think 5 on Sunday for 42 miles for the week. 8 miles yesterday and 11 miles today including a Ben Rosario (Hoka NAZ Elite coach) maintenance workout. Plan was 1 mile at HM pace (5 mins rest), 4*800 at 10 mile pace (2 mins rest), 4*400 at 10k pace (1 min rest) and 4*200 at mile pace (45 seconds rest). Reps came out to 6:22/3:07/3:09/3:05/3:04/1:32/1:30/1:31/1:31/0:36/0:38/0:41/0:39. So give or take around the right area pace wise. Felt comfortable until the 200m at mile pace, which I have no idea of, so just ran hard!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steve-They look good consistent reps,I wouldnt have a clue on a mile pace,could be a good time to do 1 over the next few weeks and see how it is.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - thanks for that info re Wanjiru. 

That training session must keep the brain agile too.  I assume you could download the session to your watch.

Ian - it's a good time for any speed session with quieter roads and less folk about.

My new shoes arrived today, the Hurricanes, the cushioning feels really plush, can't wait to try them out tomorrow.  Every time I buy new shoes when I take them out of the box they look huge and I always think they've sent the wrong size, they haven't.
    New Guides will arrive tomorrow.
    Due to the lockdown I had expected delivery to be a little slower but I was wrong, good service.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    11 miles today,got stuck in to lots of house admin,changing gas/elec suppliers,looking at remortgage at some point etc so took a while to get out but enjoyed it when I got out.
  • Ian - love it when I have a productive day like that.  Many people are calling us for insurance as they are finding time on their hands.

Steve have you ever done a mile race? Awful things most painful run I’ve ever done, won’t find me training at that pace too often.

Shades, I don’t fancy shopping late at the moment, I’m sure it’s not the case and probably overthinking things.  Glad the shoes arrived in good time, I was happy with pro direct the other week.

shopping didn’t go to plan, Asda wouldn’t take payment, they tried to take payment out before midnight, woke up to feed cats at 5am and saw they weren’t delivering... couldn’t get back to sleep so did some studying before calling Asda. It they could do nothing.  Decided to go to the shop and do the shop, bought exactly what I wanted plus a few other bits and the Tesco shop came in all okay, a few short dates.

stayed local and ran loops again, one mile loop/ figure of eight then ran it in reverse x3, 6 miles in total, according to Strava 500ft elevation, think that is OTT but it was undulating 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - good to clear those admin tasks.   I suppose there might be some good deals to be had for a mortgage soon but maybe not right now?

Robert - sorry to hear your Asda delivery failed.   Shopping later in the day would never be my choice either but if it means shopping at a quiet time then that's good enough for me.   
    We'll have to ask Ian to update us on the busiest/quietest times while we're going through this period.   I guess with so many people at home they're choosing to shop during the day, just to break their day up and because their shopping time is not controlled by their working hours.

That's good discipline doing laps, I'd be too tempted to cut the run short.

My favourite hilly route today in my new shoes, Hurricanes.   Absolutely love the shoes, they really are a great fit and very comfortable.   Lovely cushioning which I can feel for the whole length of the shoe.   This is a good route to test shoes as there are some steep downhills, long steady uphills and flat sections and the shoe didn't move even on the steepest downhill. 

However, there can be negatives about running through quiet countryside, I had a whole mile of trying not to breathe as the farmer has been muckspreading and the stench was like the worst race day portaloo.  It was obviously done yesterday as I could see it was still wet.  But after that section the road goes through a wooded area and the bluebells were magnificent.   Out of the woods and the lots of wild garlic which has grown since the last time I was here.  After running through a village a car passed me and as the car was going round the bend ahead I saw the car stop and my first thought was sheep out on the road again, twice I've had to round up sheep here.  I ran round the bend and I had to stop too as the farmer was crossing his dairy herd to the field on the other side of the road after morning milking.   The cows had splashed some dung on the road and I had to run over it in my new shoes :'( but when I got home I checked my shoes and they were clean.

Isn't that guy Tom Moore amazing, 12 million raised by walking up and down his garden.   I saw the news item on TV earlier in the week when they interviewed his daughter and in the background he was plodding along in a determined manner.   He'd have made a great marathon runner.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    That was amazing, wasn't it? I donated to him - I'm sure most of us did.

Yesterday was a wash-out for me. I'd had a disturbed night and even though the weather looked perfect, I just didn't feel like running. I did some shopping but that was the extent of my exercise.
    I did run today but my night was disturbed again....and it's all down to those bloody horse oats.
    If you missed the start of this, I panic ordered 20kg of oats off Amazon that week when the shop shelves were bare, as I have them for breakfast every day. When they arrived, they turned out to be horse oats - unhulled and unsuitable for human consumption.
    I'd found someone with a horse who said she'd have them after the lockdown, so I lugged them out of my miniscule kitchen where they were taking up my only worksurface and put them by the door to the flat.
    Anyway, for the last couple of nights my sleep has been disturbed by sounds that were unmistakably murine in origin. I haven't had any mice for a while, but I've had enough problems in the past to know what the little buggers sound like (surprisingly loud for a small creature) so I kept getting up and looking but I couldn't see anything.
    I finally got up to go for my run, had my coffee and got my kit on then went to the door and a mouse shoots across in front of me and into the bathroom. I looked down and there are horse oats everywhere. The sod has chewed right through the side of the sack and has been eating like a king.
    No option for it but stick the whole thing in a bin bag and lug it down stairs to the wheely bin, feeling very much like Eddie Hall because, while 20kgs is not that much really, it's bloody awkward when it's in a sack rather than on a barbell.
    A nice man passing by did ask if I needed help getting it into the bin before remembering social distancing meant he actually couldn't help at all, but he seemed quite impressed when I managed to do it on my own. Bye bye horse oats. I would have liked to have found a better home for them, but I cannot have a flat full of fat rodents. (I have not yet managed to catch the mouse).

Anyway, I decided I'd do my virtual parkrun today as conditions look bettter than they will be later in the week. I did two miles to warm up as last week I felt like I needed more than one, then the 5K around the triangle (looking on the map it's more of a shark fin, but you get the picture), then three miles to cool down because the weather was (is) nice.
    I pushed hard enough my breathing sounded like a fat man sitting on an accordion but I couldn't reacapture that speed I'd found the first week and ended up running 25:27. Better than last week, though, I suppose.
    Might try a different route next week. This one is good as there are no roads to cross, but I could do with some variety.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-There is some brilliant deals around,1.14% fixed I'm looking at,just figuring out the benefit of paying some off first.
    As for best time to shop it's all over the place,I'd actually say the weekend is the quietest at the minute,yesterday is usually my quietest day and we were 50% up on a usual weds,late is good but you are taking a chance on days like yesterday were we got hammered so lots of gaps,nightmare planning rotas etc at min to have the right amount in at the right time.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - what a nightmare that bag of oats turned out to be, but at least they're gone now.   The mouse must have thought it was Xmas.  Pity the horse owner couldn't collect, I think collecting animal feed would be considered an essential journey.

That's a good time today, especially after your weight training with the bag of oats.

Ian - that's a good deal.  I never had a fixed mortgage, luckily I had a tracker which was 1% above base rate and turned out to be a really good deal as the last few years of my mortgage the base rate was very low.  I made sure I had a mortgage where I wasn't penalised for paying off extra amounts when I felt like it, that enabled me to clear my mortgage a few years early and saved me a shedload of interest.

Interesting shopping habits at the moment then, you'll need to keep us updated.   I used to shop on a Wednesday as it was often the quietest day, might change that for a while then to Tuesdays.   Don't envy you doing the staff rotas.
  • Cozy1504Cozy1504 ✭✭✭

HI all, sorry not been about but it's because I hadn't ran since Saturday.

Anyway, was my 40th birthday yesterday, I got tagged in the 5k thing for the NHS going about and it was a lovely day so I thought why not.

Went out and ran a 22:06 5k which is my second quickest ever, disappointed not to dip under 22 and like we all do I think to myself I could've pushed a wee bit harder, I had to practically come to a halt at one stage due to distancing issues!

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-We usually prefer fixed as we know exactly what it will cost,but when we first bought a house we went with a tracker and it was just before the financial crash and we saved a fortune as rates dropped massively.
    We are looking to pay ours off now the kids are working so just working out the best way of doing it.
    Cozy-I cannot get near my 5k PB in training do that's a very good effort.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Fantastic, Cozy - happy birthday!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cozy - belated Happy Birthday for yesterday.  Hope you had a good day and all the family are well.

You don't have to do a run before posting on here.   At the moment if a regular hasn't posted for a while we start to get concerns that they might be unwell.  Big G hasn't posted for a couple of days so hope he's OK.

That's brilliant running to get so close to your PB in training, all that marathon training has made you stronger.

Ian - I wanted fixed too for the same reason but couldn't get a good deal at the time so said I would take the tracker meanwhile.
    It's an amazing feeling paying off the mortgage, it immediately removes the main reason we go to work thus making work more enjoyable.
    I'd rung my bank for a settlement figure, it was lower than I expected and they offered to do a transfer from my account over the phone and 5 minutes later all paid off.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cozy-Somehow I missed it,happy birthday.
    Shades-Big G ran today so presume he is ok.
    We still have quite a large mortgage but now the kids don't need anything off us we have quite a bit spare so looking to get it down quickly,reckon we can knock about 10 years off it.
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Cozy - Great 5k, happy birthday.
    Shades - Yes, just program that into my watch via the Garmin app. No way I'd remember what to do otherwise!!
    Rob - Never ran a mile race, way too short for me....5k hurts too much already!!
    Ian - Yeah I used an online calculator to get an idea of mile time, but yeah with no races, could be an idea to run a quick one, but they hurt!!
    Anyway, 4 miles easy with a kettlebell workout afterwards.
  • Cozy1504Cozy1504 ✭✭✭

Thanks everyone, was quiet as you'd imagine although I had a fun zoom drink with my mates on Sunday which was actually a much better occasion than I thought it would be and somehow just as messy! Hence the no running till Wednesday!

I agree Steve on these short runs hurting far too much! on a 5k (when I'm going for time) I pretty much start hurting at 3/400 metres and then just cling on for 20 odd minutes!! Although I do love blowing the cobwebs off!

• Cozy1504Cozy1504 ✭✭✭

And just in from 11k in lovely sunshine although very windy!

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Hi all, sorry I haven't posted for a couple of days.  I was licking my wounds a bit as I wasn't able to run but I went out for a short run today and it was okay.  Just over 4 miles and a bit of tenderness in the knee but I hope it's on the mend.  Annoyed as I really thought I was being quite careful and was constantly asking myself if I was doing too much.  I think it was just one of the things though.  I've been walking roughly 6-miles a day over the last few days and getting a lot done in the garden too.  Still looks like it's hardly been touched but there's some progress.

I have had some sad news.  One of my cousins who was 41 died the other morning early hours.  His sister (i.e., my cousin) called and told me.  Don't think it's covid related but he's being tested just incase, I think partly as his partner is a care worker so she needs to know.  It hit me quite a bit as we were very close as kids - our families used to holiday together so of course it prompted me to get old pics out.  I don't know precisely but I think he was diabetic and had an operation on his foot/lower leg very recently, and his sister thinks he may have had other health concerns that he was keeping to himself.  She commented that over the last 12 months or so he had been selling stuff, and also he'd pushed her and their Mum away a bit.

I did spend 2 or 3 hours the other day going back over some old posts from 2018/19, especially race reports.  For me there were some good ones, along with a couple of shockers, but overall some good memories.

Shame about the oats Cal, but sounds like the bin was the best destination for them!

Ian, well done on getting some admin done.

Happy birthday Cozy!  A drinking session via Zoom, and not able to run until Wednesday!  Wow!!  :)  

Shades, sounds like you got away with not getting the new shoes covered in crap!

Robert, sorry to hear you've had a nightmare with regards to shopping, but sounds like you got what you needed.

Steve, good to hear you're still getting some decent training in.  Well done.

MF, I wonder what it's going to be like when all this is over.  Do you think people will take a while before they go back to "normal" in terms of social distancing, and nattering in the shops etc.  Or once restrictions are lifted do you think people will go back to normal easily?
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cozy-Your 5k sounds like mine,my local parkrun starts downhill so it's practically impossible not to go off too fast.
    Big G-Crap news mate,hope you are ok,always a shock when people go early,I have had 2 cousins slightly older die in the last few years and it's horrible.
    10 after work today,was going to do 12 but my legs felt sore so didn't fancy the hill twice.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - good time to pay off some of the mortgage in case the kids want you to contribute to their mortgages.  ;)

Big G - glad you're OK but very sorry to hear about your cousin, such a young age and although with health issues still a shock.

Good that you can run again,  is this the same injury as your snooker injury last year?

I see lockdown extended for another 3 weeks as expected, just been watching the daily update.

New shoes, Guide ISO 2, arrived.   I love new shoes but it's a faff re-lacing them and weighing them.   They feel more like the 9's than the ISO 1's but I haven't run in them yet.   Will try them out tomorrow morning even if it's raining, as per forecast.   I'm so looking forward to running in the rain.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, snooker injury again. I think it’s the extra sitting around but I’ve been working in the garden etc which has helped keep it moving, plus I've been doing the stretches. I did try a run on three occasions as it was ok walking but I stopped and turned around after only a couple of minutes on those three occasions, and then went home and changed my shoes and immediately went for a walk instead - hopefully neighbours didn’t think I was pushing the rules! I could have carried on if I’d absolutely had to but I didn’t see the point longer term as I just knew it wasn’t right. Not painful as such, but just uncomfortable.