Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Cal - is Morden hall park actually open? Have only ever been there to take the kids for a stroll in their pram but never for a run so might give it a go for a change. Feels like I should stop being boring and running the same trails the whole time but the common and Richmond park are hard to top for me at least. 

Slow 8 yesterday. Hadn’t run since Monday due to work being nuts so felt sluggish especially as had done quite a bit of strength training in the week instead of running. Still finding the balance of amount of strength training vs running tricky tbh. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - better luck catching the mouse tonight. 🐭

You're very restrained not being tempted to use your new shoes.  And very disciplined doing long runs too.

Big G - having to be aware of avoiding other runners and cyclists would be enough to increase HR a little.

I've noticed that my HR is higher if I'm running even in light traffic and I'm safely on the pavement, I guess it's the awareness that raises the HR
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Rcouture - yes, apart from the rose garden, but that was always closed until 7 anyway so not sure if is open currently or not (as I was there before 7 today).
    You should give Wandle Trail a try - it goes through the park but also extends from Wandsworth all the way to Croydon. I'll have to try and run the whole thing myself one day - the most I've done is Collier's Wood to Mitcham.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Cal - Will have to look that up. Didn’t know the wandle trail was a thing. It’s all off main roads?
  • Big G sorry to hear of your cousin, very sad news.  That snooker injury seems to reoccur, glad to see you running again.

Shades - glad the new shoes fit well and happy with them.

Cal - I retrain myself from using new shoes for long runs too, well done getting the miles in.

Keith nice mileage for walking there, tried putting leads on our cats to take them out for a walk, they were having none of it

Ian - I saw the police guidance too about being able to drive to exercise, it is the opposite but for many it makes sense.  A mate who lives in Palmers Green (busy london suburb) has always driven someone otherwise it's just far too busy to run.

Been a quiet few days, hip giving me grief so rest day today.  Seems very sore this morning so icing it when I can and hopefully it's just sore/ bruising and be okay in a few days.

Ordered some Hurricanes 5 ISO from sportshoes.com £63 plus postage, ordered Thursday and arrived yesterday.  Wanted to buy couple of pairs of trail shoes so need to keep an eye out for deals on them. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Rcouture - yes...you will have to cross a few roads but they are quiet at the moment.
    Hope you feel better soon, Rob.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, I heard from his sister yesterday and it wasn't covid.  He's having a post mortem so that should get to the bottom of what he died from hopefully.  Sorry to hear your hip isn't too great.

Been out in the garden today getting more of that blasted decking up.  There's just so much of it, but another section done today.  Some of the wooden frame that holds the decking in place is in good nick (i.e, it's not rotten) so I may be able to reuse that and make some flower beds or something.  Even that isn't easy to get out though as I need to get an angle grinder on the nuts and bolts.  It's getting there though.  I suppose I'm in no real hurry really!

Had some good news about a Flybe flight I had.  I had paid on debit card and it was about £77, so I wasn't expecting to get it back.  However, there was a form on the Santander site to get a claim in and I sent that off about 3 or 4 weeks ago.  I hadn't heard anything so had written it off really, but I got the refund in full today.  OH got a refund for a flight to Netherlands too, again with Santander.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - when the gym was open I sometimes found my run hard the days after a tough leg session.  So it's not easy getting the balance right, which was why I didn't do any long runs.

Robert - cats on leads is just not right IMHO.  Bet it was fun trying though.

Do you know what you've done to your hip?   Have you had this before?

That's a good price for the Hurricanes.

Big G - some small reassurance to know it wasn't Covid 19, you did say he had chronic health issues.

You're doing well with the garden.   No point in rushing the job, your neighbours probably appreciate you not hammering away for several hours a day.

Great news on the Flybe refund.

I've been back doing my slow but thorough declutter and spring clean Marie Kondo style.

Today I found this, I hope this will be the only time I have a bill board written about me.   Unless I decide to become a serial killer.......

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Great news on the unexpected refund.I often wonder if i should do MAF type test as my heart rate is pretty consistent,except upa hill,but it dropss right down after,but I'm happy the way I'm going so don't want to confuse myself.
    Shades-Nice billboard,how long did it take you to get to 100?
    RCouture-You should see my routes,i can probably run them blindfold as I do them so often.
    Cal-Nice run again,how many miles for the year now?
    9 after work brings me to 61 for the week,and keeps me on track for my highest ever month.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ian - I round down fractions so I count 648, but it'll be over 650 by Garmin reckoning.
    Shades - nice.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Yaaaas! Caught the mouse. (That's not to say there aren't more, mind you).
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - it's probably a bit late to do any HR stats, if you'd started recording them a couple of years ago perhaps.   But now you're in great shape so any change would be minimal.   Unless you decided to follow a serious training plan with a HRM in the future.   

Took me 8 years, but only did one in the first year and one in the 2nd year.  There weren't marathons every week (or more) such as there are now, but I wouldn't have wanted to do it any faster.    At the time I was about the 3rd of 4th woman in the country to do their 100th marathon, hence it was bigger news and why the local paper did a billboard.

Another good week's training from you.

Cal - great news you caught the mouse, well not for the mouse I suppose :/ 

7 miles this morning, sharp breeze out there.   Had a lovely run, I'm loving running on the quieter roads especially at this time of year.   Ran past the quay, swan is still on her nest despite another very high tide she looks safe.   I've heard that otters have been seen down at the quay so I stop on my way back and have a quick look but no luck, I know they're very shy and elusive.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, good news on the mouse!

Shades, regarding your 100th marathon and 2003, funnily enough there were a couple of people at the start of the BBC London Marathon coverage that year who were 100MC members.  My ears pricked up actually.  Must have been quite a strange occurrence at that time - the commentator did seem quite surprised that people did that many, and the lady did say something like "Yeah, there is a club for us...".  

I did 7 miles last night in good running conditions.  It seemed quite busy out compared with previous Sunday evenings that I've ran recently.  Legs and lower back are quite stiff/achey from the gardening yesterday.  Probably I should stop calling it gardening and start calling it "demolition" instead.  Whenever I do this type of thing I always wonder how people do it for a full time job.  I was only on the go yesterday for about 4hrs and I wasn't rushing, but just goes to show I'm not used to it I suppose!

Our bushes are flowering nicely again this year though.  The bright pink one doesn't last that long though, sadly.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - talking of London Marathons the BBC are showing some footage next Sunday of the first London in 1981, but only a short programme and there's a half hour one on Kipchoge  on the Saturday.   I can remember the first London marathon, I was at home doing the ironing and I put the telly on and couldn't believe that folk that weren't professional athletes ran marathons, that's what initially put doing a marathon on my bucket list.

Nice show of colour in your garden.

I know what you mean about manual labour, if I go mad on the cleaning for a couple of hours I'm shattered and I'm full of respect for those that do that for a living or any manual work.  I guess we have different sort of stamina.

I see the 24 hour gym proposed for Newton Abbot has got planning consent, hope they'll go ahead and open as planned.   Couple of folk in our gym were talking about it saying, it'll never get planning consent but I couldn't see why not.   
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Good news on the mouse, unfortunately theres is rarely just 1 of them.
    Shades-Most of my training the last couple of years has been similar to heart rate training anyway,and I've seen the differences in my pace drop over time.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I hadn't seen that about the gym, Shades - I just Googled it and it's a good location I'd say.  There's a 24hr one that's opened up near me in Paignton about 6 months ago I think it was.  It's called Anytime Fitness, and I think it's a chain too.  The one in Paignton opened up in an old, large pub that had been run down and was derelict.  Like that location in Newton, it has got lots of parking but is also close to the town centre.  It's only a mile walk from me but I haven't joined it.  I think the convenience of having a 24hr one obviously suits some people, so it's good to have that option available.  I don't need it these days, but also with these chains if someone is away for work and there's one where they're working, they can use the membership there too I believe.

There's a lot of work going on in Paignton/Torquay at the moment which I think is good.  There are 4 large sites that are being turned into Mercure and Ibis hotels I think.  In Paignton, there was a restaurant in a prime location on the harbour that had been ran down, but that recently got done up and reopened by a brewery (St Austell Brewery).  They spent a fortune in there, and did something similar on Brixham Quay a few years ago and that is a great pub/restaurant now.   I think it's good that the investment is coming, it's much needed.  It is a shame that the old hotels are being pulled down, but at the same time seeing them derelict is no good.  2 of the hotels are on Paignton seafront (Mercure in one, and Ibis in another) so I think seeing something new there is much more preferable to seeing derelict and empty buildings.  From a Paignton point of view, the station square is still an eyesore, but I read that a grant had been applied for and won to do that area up a bit, so I hope that happens.  If you look up, some of the buildings are really nice, but they're just very run down with guttering falling off, plaster not in good condition, etc.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - exactly, your training has been very similar to HR training.

Big G - yes, I think a good location too.  It's aimed just for those that want to use a gym without all inclusive type memberships such as I have at the Leisure Centre.  I expect quite a few from my gym will move there as quite a few only use the gym only and would be happy with a lower cost option.   It's good as competition should keep our membership prices down. At my Leisure Centre they open at 6:30 a.m. and there's a few queuing outside ready to get in for a session before they go to work, I'm sure some of them would be happier with an option to go earlier.   I run past Winners and often see a queue there to get in too.

Re Paignton, it certainly needs the money spending on it.  Old properties on the sea front don't wear well due to the sea air, so although it's a shame to lose the architectural features just not cost effective sometimes to try and restore them.   I'd heard Paignton had a grant re the town square but with the way money has had to be spent due to the pandemic I think government/council spending will be all changed for a while.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Boston marathon day  :'(
    Decided to take today as a rest day,the last 2 weeks I've ran 12 days,I feel ok but don't want to push it.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Beautiful, Big G!

Would be great to see otters, Shades. I've only seen them in zoos.

Yeah, so I caught a second mouse. I hope there aren't more of them - I have more traps on order but it could take a while with the coronavirus.
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Cal - Good news on catching that mouse!

Big G - What are you going to do with the garden once you've got the decking up? The garden looks quite steep so without the decking how are you going to get to the top?

Ian - Will you go for Boston next year?

Shades - Marathon Queen, think that sums you up very well!! Did you have a good race for your 100th?

No running thisweekend for me. My sciatica problem has still not gone completely and has been bothering me a bit so that was in my head anyway and we had a fair bit of stuff to do here planned so I decided to give running a rest this weekend. Still clocked up 70k for the week including the two days off so I was happy with that. 
    Good forest run this morning and niggle was still there, if distant. Wish it would just go once and for all.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    MF, it is fairly steep but all the decking makes it look steeper than it is. There are 4 flat(ish) sections under all that decking so the idea is to have  steps between each section, and build retaining walls holding each section in place. Then have flower beds or patio or whatever on the different levels. There are already wooden steps between each section but, you’ve guessed it, they have to come out as they’re rotten.

We’ve flattened one section out already and that’s going to be a veg plot. I’m just waiting for the wood to turn up so I can make some raised beds on that bit. OH has a large amount of veg plants that are waiting to go in the ground, which she’s grown from seed. We had some success last year using pots so hoping it’ll be even better this year with it growing in the ground.

Such a shame as probably all that decking cost a few thousand to install in materials alone, but it’s currently a death trap. Talking to a neighbour it’s been in there 11 years but it was never finished as they’d laid electric cables for lighting but lights were never fitted, and the wood hadn’t been maintained.

At the top, I have visions of a summer house as we’ve got lovely views over the bay from the top. But if that ever happens it’s a long way off....this is very much a long term project!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian5 said:
    Boston marathon day  :'(

Ian - I know.  I had a Connemara moment yesterday too.

Cal - I've only seen otters in zoos too.  But a dead otter was seen at the quay and a couple of days later a live one, so they are in the area.

Mamafox - seems like your running is still going well despite that sciatica bothering you at times.

Yes, I did have a good race for my 100th, I trained well in the time since my 99th and ran one of my fastest races.
    Much to the surprise of my runner friends that weren't there as this also happened on the same day.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/august/10/newsid_3910000/3910801.stm

Big G - are you having raised beds to keep out those badgers?
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Felt pretty sad that yesterday was going to be Brighton mara. They’ve sent a mail to register for early bird entries for the 2021 edition which I’ve done given that the postponed 2020 one in late September feels very unlikely to me. Without a vaccine or at least much more rigorous testing and tracing, it doesn’t feel like large scale gatherings will be on the cards for many months. Hope I’m wrong. There was also an option to buy a 3 year membership which guarantees your place but felt pretty dear at 180 quid when I’ve not done a marathon yet and am unlikely to want to do the same one for 3 years in a row at this stage!

Anyway went for a lovely 8 miles in the sun. Have had a weird ache on the inside of my lower shin the last week which felt fine on the run but I wonder if it’s splints. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Rcouture - snap! That's exactly what I have. Rest day today but I can feel it even though I'm sat on my arse. It's quite tender in there if I have a dig around. Wondering if I should take more rest days. Shin splints can happen due to tight calves but I'm wondering if it's because I'm doing more hills (more from the downhills than the ups).
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture-100% dont sign for the 3,no way you will want to do the same 2 years running and you could be injured etc.
    Mama-Probably wont go for boston again,it was combined with taking the lad to NYC and timings wont work out again,got a big buffer if I decide but realistically it's unlikely.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Cal - Weird, mine also hurts when i press it but seems fine when I run/walk. I have been doing calf strength work so assumed it was just that

Ian - Yeah no chance I would’ve bought that. Seems like half the fun is the variety of and not sure I will have the base mileage to do more than a couple of marathons per year for a while.  
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Taking another rest day - I'm pretty sure it's what people term shin splints and I don't want it to get worse - but I am also really tired as I had another disturbed night after I had to deal with another mouse at 2am and then had some trouble getting back to sleep.
    That's three mice caught so far but I can hear more. Not good - need those new traps to arrive.
    On the plus side, I've had my Manchester train ticket refunded so that's £65 back. I now have to decide what to do about the Green Belt Relay, which was supposed to happen in May. The cost was over £100 as it's two days and involves an overnight stay. I can roll it forward to next year or take the refund, and I could use the money. Decisions...
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes that’s part of the idea to keep the badgers out.  Not sure if it’ll work!  The wood should be arriving tomorrow. 

Cal, tough decision about the Green Belt Relay.  I suppose if you take the refund, even if you decide to do the race again next year you can always re-enter?

Ian, just a bit about the HR training, that's the depressing thing as I thought I was running at the correct pace for a lot of my runs.   But obviously I was running too quickly.  I wonder why though - is it really still from that chest infection, or is it more that I've lost fitness and so needed to bring my pace down to compensate?  I mean, I did 3:40 in Marrakech after really not a lot of decent training and I was hopeful that I was in shape for a 3:30 at Manchester (I know talk is cheap, and it doesn't mean I'd have got that time).  But yet that HR test was getting progressively slower and approaching 10 min/miles, whereas 3:30 is 8min/miles.  If I have indeed lost that much fitness, it feels a bit like it's back to the drawing board!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Good news on the refund,I'd take the refund and think about it next year.At least you're getting them,we had mice for ages last year and couldn't catch them.
    Big G-Would it be worth doing the test again,as looking at your paces it doesnt seem like you're training too fast.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - sorry to hear you had a sad moment too on Sunday on what should have been your first marathon.   Glad you declined the 'special offer' from Brighton marathon.   There will be lots of other races that you'll want to run.

Cal - sorry to hear that niggle/pain is stopping you running today, and trying out those new shoes.   Good news on the mouse hunting though and the refund on your train fare. 

Big G - I don't know how adept badgers are at climbing but I would imagine raised beds will work as long as they're high enough.

I would agree with Ian that you redo your MAF test.   However, I'm not surprised, I did warn you that a serious chest infection such as you had could easily wipe out your base fitness.   I know you've been doing great mileage but on your hillier runs have you kept your effort/HR down to base rate level, if not then that's not base training.
    I know I've been doing hilly runs, but I'm doing it to try and maintain some level of leg strength since the gym shut.

Or you could try a Hadd test, gives you a whole new load of stats to work on ;)   I know you love your stats!

7 hilly miles today for me, through the village with the option of left hand or right hand route.   Took the right hand route which although overall climb is the same there's a hill that I just couldn't run up on the left route last time and didn't feel up to it today.  Found it harder today, beautiful morning though.