Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Not sure about the ice cream, Shades - weight has crept up to 10 stone again despite having no appetite earlier in the week. :/ But I do have a tub and three Magnums in the fridge so...
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Shades -nice 10 miles 
    Cal -Good that you seem on the mend
    Big G - That’s a great idea by your neighbours. It’s a bit of a struggle to get decent fruit and veg where we are. We are lucky as a friend of mine has got us in touch with a restaurant supplier who has had to suspend operations and furlough all their staff so now do fruit/veg box deliveries at better prices than supermarkets. You can’t choose the contents though but that’s fine for us. 
    7 miles again this morning so another back to back. Rare for me to do early morning runs since I start work very early/am usually minding little ones at weekend. Felt great so will try and do more of those when I can. Rest day tomorrow as that’s 4 runs in 5 days which is a lot for me at this stage. 

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I'll reserve judgement right now on whether it's worth buying the book, I'm only about 80 pages in.   You can borrow it off me when we finally meet for an al fresco coffee, I have a stack of RW mags for you.

I'll put that table up in my next post re MAF mile/5km race times, think you'll find that interesting.

Yes, I agree will be interesting to see what Boris says today.    I think there will be a relax in restrictions re exercise, i.e. the guideline for once a day will be removed.   Remember you talked about doing doubles....be careful what you wish for ;) 

Your garden project is a major project, didn't realise there was quite so much work for you to do.   Great strength training ;)

Ian - we have a juniors athletic club here but the nearest track to us is a 40 mile round trip.   That's Exeter track and Exeter Harriers are based there, Jo Pavey's club.   A few years ago a friend of mine sent her daughter there to do track stuff, jumps etc and when she needed a pair of spikes got a pair that had belonged to Jo Pavey, great inspiration for an aspiring teenager. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - this is not a time to worry about your weight.   Eat what you fancy and you can deal with any excess pounds when back in full training.

Rcouture - that fruit and veg box sounds great, so many are a bit overpriced.

Glad you enjoyed your early run, always my favourite time of day for training.   Of course with work and family you have to run when you can get the time.

Big G - here you are.  He bases this on the first mile of any MAF test.   He did say the first should always be the fastest, if the 2nd is the fastest that's due to incorrect warm up mile.  

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks Shades, that is interesting.  If that is accurate though it reinforces that I'm very unfit compared to a year or two ago!   If you take my 5k PB of sub-20mins from 2018, that equates to approximately 8min/mile for the first MAF mile, and I'm 60+secs slower than that at the moment.  My one from April was 9:08 for the first mile.

On more a positive note, my weight is going in the right direction still and I've lost another pound or so.  If I lose another pound, which is my goal, that will be the lightest I've been for 5 years.  I haven't really changed that much except I've swapped unhealthy snacks (I.E., cereal) for more healthy ones (I.E., nuts).  After our discussion the other week, I did notice that my regular peanut butter is 100% nuts, with no palm oil added, and I've been having that on rice cakes with a banana sliced on top, which is a nice snack too.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I thought you'd find that interesting.

I don't think it's that you're unfit but that your illness at the end of last year wiped out your aerobic base.  Maffetone does talk in the book about how runners need to do a spell of base training as racing/ fast running/illness etc will wipe out the base.

You've only just started the MAF training so don't be so hard on yourself until you've done a few MAF tests.

Usually I base train all winter, race a lot in the spring but need another spell of base training during the summer for me to race well in the autumn.   Also the reason why I only get so far with Hadd's plan before having to start again.

That's good about the weight.  I used to love the almond butter which I would have every morning at work to keep me going until lunch.

Not keen on rice cakes.  I like a slice of toast, half a banana on top, sprinkle with either ginger, nutmeg or cinnamon, 30 secs in the microwave, yum. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Went out a bit later today and did 7 on my route where the first mile is uphill, so the rest undulating down or flat.  Had a great run out today, almost making me wonder if the HR monitor was faulty!  When I looked later at the stats it's not as HR was climbing on the hills etc, so it was just a great run.  Not sure why one run feels really great and another one on a different day not so great, but I enjoyed today's run so I'll take it.  That takes me to 60 miles for this week.

Also, I'm definitely invested in this now - I have a new spreadsheet ;)  I have 5 routes (plus the MAF test route) that I do regularly, and I'm tracking all sorts of stuff for when I do those routes. HR and pace obviously but also time of day, humidity, temperature, wind details, plus any notes I want to record.  I mean business ;)  I won't only ever do these 5 routes, but when I do I'll record these details to see if I can start comparing things over time.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Great news on the weight,sounds like you are more excited about the spreadsheet though :-)
    Shades-What mileage will you aim to get up to?
    9 after work brings the 60 up again,very windy and very different weather from yesterday

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - ha, ha at thinking the HR might be playing up as your HR was so good, sometimes that just happens.   Also improvements are not necessarily gradual, you'll find that suddenly your weekly HR/pace will improve by quite a jump from the previous week.

Congrats on the new spreadsheet, I have a spreadsheet for everything, running and non running.  Can't beat a good spreadsheet. :)

I have given up reading Maffetone's book in bed it's just too heavy going in places.   Yes, I think you should buy a copy.  Yes, he calls himself an holistic doctor so I'd say bordering on quack, but in amongst some of his opinions and ideas are gems of information and a lot of common sense on every aspect of health and training.   About a third of the book is on training, third on diet and nutrition and a third on injury prevention etc.   He's written quite a few, the one I have is The Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing, yellow cover.   But you are welcome to borrow mine if you choose not to buy a copy.

You will be careful gardening, I expect you've seen what happened to Brian May....
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52594627

Ian - I think I'll aim for 60 mpw for month of June.   After that a lot will depend on the future of races and when I might get back to the gym.   All being well if Connemara goes ahead for the end of September I'd like to get to 70 mpw for July and August, we'll see.   I like training in the summer and easily the best time for me to run higher mileage.

8 miles this morning, lovely and sunny but what a change in the weather compared to yesterday.   Bitterly cold wind, 5 degrees and a feels like of zero, NNE wind, but I was expecting it .   Put my heating back on last night and full winter kit this morning, could have done with slightly warmer kit.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, thanks.  I'll get a copy then - sounds like a good reference-type book to have on the shelf.  I watched that video that Rcouture/Ian mentioned with him and something he said stuck to do with that he found that he could more or less tell what HR people were running at (in terms of it was too quick) by looking at their gait.  Ouch to Brian May's injury, but the "over-enthusiastic gardening" comment made me smile.

Ian, someone has just mentioned a different metric - heartbeats per mile.  I may have to look into that, as I did see that mentioned elsewhere too on a video I looked at.

Interesting about the relaxing of the restrictions for exercise in England (it's slightly different in Wales and Scotland?).  I wasn't expecting him to go that far, saying people can drive to places etc.  Locally, I'm a bit worried about how this is going to play out on the beaches near me, but I guess we'll wait and see.  I hope what he's doing works, but I did see something that Germany's R value went above 1 when they started easing their restrictions.  From a personal point of view I can avoid the beaches quite easily whilst running but I suppose the country lanes may start getting a bit busier with traffic again.  I may well take up the option of doing a second run or walk on some days though.

My mate isn't happy - he was due back to work today, as he was told by his boss last week to go back.  He works in an office in manufacturing but he's very worried about how the social distancing will work in practice where he works :( 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I can see beaches etc getting hammered when the weather warms up again.
    I don't really travel anywhere to exercise except my hilly route in Wales,but guessing I'm not allowed to do that still with Wales having different rules.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Big G - I've looked at beats per mile before which is a good metric. Steve Way used that to great success before in his training. Fetcheveryone I think calculates that for you based on garmin data.
    Shades - Will you get up to 60/70 per week with long runs? Or would you just double?
    I joined the OH for a turbo session on Friday (rest day!!), her on the exercise bike, me on the turbo. We did a tabata session to start (20 seconds on/10 seconds off) for a number of reps, then a different one with 30s/1 min, 45s/45s, 45s/30s I think, with warm up and cool down I did about 18.5 miles in 90 minutes and was soaked in sweat!! But was good to train together.
    Saturday was a warm 17 miler in the sunshine, legs felt fine after the non rest day on Friday and Sunday was a 5 miler and then kettlebells. That was about 51 miles for the week.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Big G - if you find a decent tracker for bpm per distance do let me know. I am currently using Runkeeper which allows you to just chart avg HR vs avg pace over time which shows the same thing but if it was just one value somewhere that would be cool. I tried Fetcheveryone but the site UI is a bit rough, at least on my phone. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Steve, funnily enough, I was just looking at Fetch again.  I haven't been on there for ages so had to create a new account but it's got my Garmin data now for the last month or so.  Decent training from you again - you've been very consistent over the last few weeks/months.

Rcouture, I haven't seen anywhere else except Fetch that has the beats per mile data; it seems to work okay on my laptop but again haven't used it on my phone.  There is a decent Chrome plugin called Elevate for Strava although it doesn't appear to have the beats per mile figure, but it tracks "freshness", "form" etc, which is interesting.  Not sure if Elevate works on a phone though, as I'm using it on my laptop only at the moment.   

Anyway, enough of all that.  I'd better get out and actually do a run at some point today :)  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - Brian May must have done something really daft to rip his buttocks, he's been a bit coy about what actually happened ;)   Must be so painful.

Couple of interesting snippets in Maffetone's book.   You can in time do some intervals but they'd have to be downhill and run to MF HR to stretch the legs out, obviously long gentle hills required but good leg strength training.   Also, as that runner in your YouTube link must have found, that further along you will have speeded up so much at your MAF HR that you won't want to run that fast in training!   So you drop your training HR and do intervals, the intervals being the faster part at your MAF HR.   Exactly as that 2:29 runner said in his interview, he was training at 20 bpm below his MAF HR.  

Re the lockdown, I think the government realise that they have to ease the restrictions on exercise/parks etc as it was so blatantly flouted this weekend, parks were full of folk sunbathing etc so I think this is a relaxation that will be reverted to strict lockdown if the R value increases.   The behaviour experts have said all along that there is a limit to the time you can control the public's behaviour.  I see it all the time, neighbours now having some visitors etc.  
    I saw that about Germany, they have reopened shops and hairdressers so have relaxed a lot of the lockdown rules quite quickly.

We all know that we have to live with this virus for quite a while and can only operate distancing measures to be the best in whatever that situation is, they won't always be ideal.   Your mate can't stay at home and not work, needs to discuss with his boss and whoever deals with the H&S at his place.   If he doesn't want to work in that situation then he needs to decide what he wants to do.      Key workers in supermarkets and for us when we shop there, we all take a risk.   The supermarkets do what they can but there's always going to be an element of risk especially for the staff,  the shoppers to a lesser degree.

It's a fine balance between controlling the virus and getting the country back to work.   There's a lot more traffic today, I ran up as far as the A38 and it was really busy, I would say as busy as pre lockdown and it was not even 7 a.m.

Ian - think Wales is only local exercise so you'll have to avoid that for a while ;) 

Steve - I do need to start doing longer runs, can't avoid them forever.   Have pencilled in 11 miles for next weekend ;) , well it's a start.

Tough session with your OH.   I do Tabata sessions for my core work, it must be the quickest way to get HR up and get hot.   
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Just had my first spam coronavirus email...would I like to contribute in bitcoin :D
  • Options
    Cozy1504Cozy1504 ✭✭✭
    So hopefully all of you in England are clear about what you are now allowed to do??? For runners both sides of the border I guess it was good news but I've been saying for over a week that the PMs language matters, not for those with a brain but for those without.

In Scotland what we have is a section of people that don't like Nicola Sturgeon saying, I'm following the PMs rules, not Sturgeons, hopefully the Scottish police deal with these people accordingly!

10 miles done in lovely weather on Saturday, I actually enjoyed it in the main which was also a nice feeling.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Was it made clear how far you can travel for exercise? for example would I be allowed to drive to the lakes(2 hours) and go for a 4 hour walk in the hills? Guess this might be in the details.I see the Welsh minister has said English can't travel there to exercise as we thought.
    Shades-What type of mileage do you think would enable me to get close to my potential,most I have ever averaged was 47 I think for Berlin/Frankfurt.
    Usual 9 miles before work today,felt good and controlled.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cozy - it is clear here in England what changes are imminent, the detail will be released later today.  Just the unions and Labour politicising as usual.  

Blimey I didn't realise that those that don't like NS were ignoring the rules in Scotland, that's childish.  Why don't they move to England.  

Glad the running is going well.

Ian - no, distance you can travel wasn't mentioned, should be told later today.  We guessed that Wales wouldn't want us exercising there.  ;). You'll have to find an English hill or two.

I can't say re your potential.   But next stage for you, a good PB, sub 3, I'd say 55-60, you know how well you're running now on that mileage.

On news now saying that if/when 14 day quarantine brought in won't apply to Ireland and France, so wise to choose races there if we can.

I just saw NS from SNP on news, I think she'll be pleased when she can get her hair done, not looking her best right now. 

Cal how are you today?
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah, my mate's got a decision to make I think.  On the one hand he's happy he's still got a job, but he said he really wasn't sure how they'd be able to enforce the 2m rule, or even if some of his colleagues would take it seriously.

Cozy, it is confusing with the different home nations I guess, but you’re right hopefully the Scottish police will deal with the people breaking the rules there.  Sturgeon did say today that Scotland were a bit behind England in terms of when the virus took hold so that’s part of the reason she’s being more cautious I suppose.  From my own point of nothing's changed except I can now exercise more if I want.  

Just over 10 miles today.  Very blustery conditions but it was a nice run out again. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - unfortunately it's quite likely that his workmates won't take the social distancing seriously.  Difficult for your mate if he's really worried.  A lot of manufacturing businesses never closed during the lockdown and some are busier than ever so there may be jobs out there if your mate needs to change jobs.

Don't think you can exercise more until Wednesday, so no doubles today  ;)

I've noticed that less of the usual cars in my road, we have permit parking, so looks like more of my neighbours back at work.  And another neighbour having work done by a plumber.   It's good to see some normality returning.

My hairdresser sent me a text, earliest they might be able to resume working is 4th July.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, that's right - Wednesday the earliest for any doubles.  I expect I will need a rest day at some point as I've ran 8 days in a row, although I'm feeling fresh as I type this.  I have to say, on the bits that I ran on the main road today it seemed like a normal day in terms of the traffic.  A few weeks ago I was able to run down the middle of that main road, but no chance of that today.

Regarding my mate, to be honest he is a bit of a worrier.  He did admit the other day that his worries have been rubbing off on his eldest daughter (8yo), and she's now nervous when she sees someone out.  They only live about 5mins from the beach, but he's been worried about taking them there, sometimes preferring to stay inside in their small house with tiny garden, even though they're climbing the walls.  We all make our own choices and manage the risk in our own way I suppose.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - it looks like a lot of businesses had planned to go back today without waiting for Boris's speech last night.

Shame your friend's daughter has been frightened, hopefully when she's back at school she'll be OK.
    It's like all the publicity over the last year about the future of the planet has distressed a lot of children and really frightened them, giving them nightmares etc.  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I'm watching the news now re details on lockdown easing.

It seems you can go on a day trip, not outside of England, but you must return home that night to your home.

Big G - seems we could meet up for a game of tennis!  But let's not, I haven't played since school.  :smiley:

Face masks in enclosed spaces where social distancing cannot be done, public transport and shops, not sure if all shops or if compulsory..

All the above may not be 100% correct, you know the journalists sometimes get it wrong.  
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I'm OK, thanks for asking. Was considering running today but I don't like wind so I decided to wait for tomorrow. I did make it out for a walk but only did 3 miles as, well, I don't like wind (more the fact that it was cold and it was blowing dust in my eyes). Did some yoga and a bit of conditioning to make up for it.

Hmm I don't have a face mask - guess I could use my buff at a push.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - Glad you're OK, cold wind again here today but not as bad as yesterday.

I have made a face mask, successfully from a buff.   I don't sew and couldn't be bothered with all that faff.

Race buff, 2 hair bands and 2 safety pins.   Lay out the buff, fold lengthways each long edge to centre.  Put hair bands on, fold excess to middle.   Then try it on, they need to be bigger than you think.  Then pin the folded edges so stays in place.   

I made mine ages ago, keep it in a plastic bag just in case I might be forced to wear it when shopping.

8 miles again today, sunny but cold, feels like temperature of zero.  Had a lovely run though.   Stopped off at Home Bargains to check opening hours, guy was putting out the plants, he said it's quiet in the evenings so might pop along tonight.  I used to enjoy the little shopping I need to do, but now it's a nuisance.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Ian - Hard to say what mileage you need to hit potential, but I'd guess you were in PB shape anyway before races got cancelled. Perhaps you need a couple of marathon cycles to move mileage to low 50s then the second mid to high 50s?
    Shades - Yes, my HR defo got high during the reps, plus 10 seconds recovery wasn't enough to get it back down!!

Workout day today, so 5*1k (3:44/50/46/47/46) and 4*200m (38/38/36/39), 90 seconds rest for the 1k efforts and 60 seconds for the 200m. Warm up and cool down for just over 11 miles. Properly cold again today, zero degrees out, even saw someone scraping the car windows!
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Good hack, Shades. I agree on shopping being a nuisance now.
    Nice work, Steve.

Glad I waited until today to run - perfect conditions (chilly - had to use gloves again - but no wind). Enjoyed it so did 8 miles. Still a bit of discomfort at the top of my thoracic spine at the start of the run but not as much as Sunday.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ooh, forgot to say - no sign of mice since I caught the last one. I passed my downstairs neighbour on the drive as I was coming in from my run (he's a dentist) and he said he'd caught one mouse but had nothing for a few days so hopefully that means the buggers are done.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Shades/Steve-The mileage is always a tough one as I guess most people do some specific sessions that tie in with the mileage,across the last 5 weeks I'm averaging about 60 miles now,and the last 8 it is 54,so going well at the minute.I doubt I will get much higher,maybe 65 would be my top average if we race again.
    Cal-Great news on the mice,hopefully no return.When we last had them we had to talk to all out neighbours and make sure they were laying traps etc aswell.