Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Depending on how the week goes I'm aiming for mid 60's this week.I need another 38 for my first 250 month.
    Decided to treat myself to a new running jacket,had my Ron Hill for a few years so an upgrade is due,just deciding which 1.
  • Big G, well done on the no drinking, when I have done a few stints of no drinking I feel better for it.

Shades, great comms from Connemarathon, good they keep people updated.  Hope it works for them.  Well done for surviving tesco! Price you pay for a bit of shade I'm affraid.

Cal walking uses different muscles when walking, hopefully it will calm down.

Ian great mileage, hope you pull off the 250 miles.

Sorry not been about, I am still struggling with the hip, it's getting better and managed 5 miles earlier and wasn't too bad, I had been aborting runs less than 2 miles in.  Hopefully progress. Cycling doesn't seem to affect the hip as low impact, I have got the old bike out and took that for a couple of spins, managed 20 miles on Friday I'm surprised it made it.

Motivation is sub zero at the moment, but trying to get my head round diet first... cutting out alot of the rubbish and alcohol, have decided to have a dry June and see how that goes and maybe July, been drinking too much in lockdown.

Hope everyone is safe and well, and I wont keep away so long!

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - it might just be that your body is a bit tired after your highest mileage week and you are doing a lot of doubles which doesn't give the body much time to recover.  Just be kind to yourself and ease up on the mileage this week if you feel you need to.

Rcouture - maybe do some gentle ITB stretches daily.

Ian - in this weather there should be some good deals on jackets.   I've hardly ever worn a jacket this winter/spring.  Apart from the odd storm it's been much better running weather.

Robert - so sorry to hear that you're still coping with that hip injury but glad to hear it's starting to improve.   At least you have been able to get out on the bike, but not the same if it's running that you really want to do.   It's so very hard to stay motivated when injured and you have certainly had a guts full of injury over the last year, so unfair.

Good luck with the dry June.   Work out how much money you'll save and treat yourself to something that you really want instead.

I don't think you are the only one hitting the junk food and booze.   Last week when out running I passed a house on recycling day and they had an eye watering amount of bottles and cans out for collection.  They had replaced the usual collection boxes with others that were twice the size, an extra box too and they were all full.   My immediate thought was 'that was some party' then remembered there couldn't/shouldn't be any parties right now.   Yesterday I ran past again and it's bin day again and they have another huge amount of bottles and cans.   Not a student let, just a normal house, only 2 cars outside.   Even post Xmas I've never seen that amount outside a house.

5 easy miles this morning, nice day again, a little warmer.   Lovely smell of cut grass as they're hay making.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Interesting snippet of news here, maybe not mentioned elsewhere due to the current witch hunt...

Queen gives PM permission to exercise in grounds of Buckingham Palace 

The Queen has reportedly given Boris Johnson approval to exercise in the grounds of Buckingham Palace as he continues to recover from Covid-19.

The Daily Telegraph said the Prime Minister has been allowed to make use of the palace grounds, amid security concerns over his practice of running in public spaces.

Mr Johnson was photographed in the paper arriving at a side entrance to the palace in an armoured Range Rover yesterday.

He later returned to Downing Street in a red T-shirt, blue shorts and trainers.

The move comes after Mr Johnson was photographed exercising in the grounds of Lambeth Palace earlier this week, after being granted permission by the Archbishop of Canterbury.

Buckingham Palace would usually be welcoming tourists at this time of year, but the practice has been halted due to the coronavirus.

Mr Johnson is said to be eager to regain full fitness after his bout of Covid-19, which resulted in a stay in intensive care at St Thomas' hospital last month.

I did read a while ago that Boris believes he became so ill due to being overweight.   I think there's going to be a massive drive to reduce obesity in this country very soon, partly as the link between diabetes and obesity.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Shades, no, it's been threatening to come back for a little while. Might possibly be shoe-related - my Epics are almost at 700 miles now. But it could just be down to my mileage - I've had a few 50+ weeks now. I know my form improves with speed so could possibly be exacerbated by those very slow recovery runs, too. (Might be your issue as well, Big G). Bad luck on the pigeon!

A hilly 12 mile MLR today. I went up to Streatham Common and ran up the hill, but instead of going back around and down, I went through to Norwood Grove and ran around that a couple of times (it was open). Very lumpy ground there - grass and roots - so I was careful so as not to roll an ankle. Basically cross country and definitely not viable as a winter run from the look of it.
    Then I exited and went down the road that runs next to (which is also a rollercoaster) to the little wood I'd seen on the map. Holy Christ, it's steep in there! There are some very narrow "paths" but then I had to pretty much walk down some steps, then another section I had to stop and climb down a sheer drop before running back up a very steep bit. It's kind of fun, but I was over 12 minutes for the mile I did in that bit.
    Came back up the rollercoaster road, back onto Streatham Common, down to the tennis court and back up the steep path through the woods before heading back along the back streets for a few more miles.
    I did notice my form seemed a lot better once I got onto the roads and the last few miles were sub-10 as I was paying attention to my posture.
    Achilles is a bit grumpy now so will get the Theragun out a bit later.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Cal - you have done quite a lot of off road stuff too lately, that's probably not helped the achilles either.

Pity you can't ask the Queen too if you can run in the grounds of Buck House, bet that has lovely running surfaces ;)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, hopefully that's all it is.  I did do a 5.5 miler this morning - I'd planned a bit longer but decided to cut it short today as just wasn't quite right today.  I won't be running later and may take a rest day tomorrow but I'll just see how I am in the morning.

Cal, sounds an interesting run there!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    First run of the day done,got out early,for me,and ran 11 miles,starting to warm up so will make sure I drink plenty today.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - silly question.. I know you're keeping an eye on your weight, but are you eating enough?  

I guess at your height/weight you'd need roughly another 1000 calories a day for an 80 mpw.

Ian - one down, one to go.

I went to Aldi, busy so might go back to evening shopping.   But on the way there I passed our local park and a guy has set out a gym, rowing machine, weights and lots of other equipment.  It's hot in the sun today and he was sitting on a chair in the shade of a tree doing nothing!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Strava offered a free 60 day trial so I've took that,will probably cancel it but may aswell use the trial time.
    Never really bothered with protein powder or stuff like that but OH got a load cheap from work so thought I'd have it today and after my longer runs.
    I see a lot of countries are starting to open up borders soon,just need hotels to open,drop the 14 day quarantine and we will grab a long weekend away somewhere.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - yes, once the quarantines are lifted which might be soon, I don't think it'll take long for the bookings to ramp up.

Protein powder/shakes are really for post strength/weights stuff,  not aerobic work.

Lots of runners use them but they don't do anything for runners, even though they like to think they do.  
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    I presumed it helps with muscle recovery,that's why I thought between these runs it would be beneficial.
    I have my eye on Prague,not been there for a while and flights are £80 return and the hotels are cheap now,probably because there has been no demand.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - no, it won't help with muscle recovery in between runs.  It's for building and maintaining muscle after weights etc.   It won't do you any harm.

Prague is lovely, spent a couple of days there.  Czech Republic have lifted their restrictions haven't they,?

You and OH deserve a break/holiday as while most of us have done less during the lockdown you've both had to work harder.

There was a programme on C4 a few days ago about whether to book a holiday or not, quite interesting bits in it.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-They have started to,they seem very advanced compared to most,at the minute it's only visitors for economic activity and students allowed,but I think they will ease that again as they will want tourists,everywhere had to wear masks but that dropped this week also.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Just seen a lot of our club did a 1km challenge last week,again the kids did wonders,1 girl (u17) won the woman's outright with 2:36 !!! We also won the w45 and u15.I'd be surprised if they didn't win outright again.Lots to live up to for us old gits in the masters relay next month.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, my weight is stable now, but I’m eating a lot still.  IE, breakfast (sometimes two!), lunch and dinner but then fruit, nuts and other snacks in between.  I certainly don’t feel hungry or weak at any point.  I was wondering if I may have been slightly dehydrated but actually I really don’t think I am.  The last 2-3 weeks I’ve been taking an SiS tablet with 750ml of water straight after most runs as I’m sweating quite a lot still, despite the slow pace, and thought it useful as I’m sometimes running twice a day.  I don’t feel that I overdid things and took a rest day when I felt I needed to etc, but maybe I’ve overdone it slightly even though I’m trying to very careful in that regard!  I'll be frustrated if I do 80 one week and then 30/40 the next as there's no point to that really.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Prague rely heavily on tourism, more than Greece or Spain I would guess.

How far do you have to run in the relay ?

Big G - could easily be dehydration making you feel tired and drained at times.  Extra mileage plus warm weather, it's quite hard to keep fluid levels up.  That 750 ml post run with electrolytes is good but maybe not enough when running twice a day.

I'm not that good at rehydrating after a run but I know that by the time I run again 24 hours later I'll be OK.  But often part way through Pilates or gym I'll realise I haven't rehydrated enough.  Same if I do a double, a mile or so into an evening run and I know I haven't drunk enough.

You might just have had a blip and feel a bit tired and bounce back by by tomorrow.  I'm sure this weather doesn't help.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, it was really hot yesterday when I ran in the afternoon but I couldn’t go out later really. Because it was hot, I purposefully slowed right down from the start but maybe in hindsight I shouldn’t have bothered going out when I did. Live and learn :)  Regarding water I always have a bottle by me and drink when I need to throughout the day - I’ve done that for years actually, even when I was office based.

I’m going up to meet OH in the car for when she finishes work so she can go to the supermarket and shopping. It’s been ok the last few weeks so hopefully it’ll be ok this evening. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I think it's still hot into the evening, when I've been evening shopping I've seen some very hot and red faced runners around. 

I bet you'll be back on form tomorrow.

Good luck with the shopping.  I wonder how timewise the busy times will alter  over the next few weeks as lockdown eases.  
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-It is just 5k,not expecting much as I won't be resting for it.
    10 miles done this afternoon,felt good,legs a little stiff as they got going and found the final hill challenging,but 21 miles for the day done.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I’ve never done a virtual event but one that caught my eye, from Phoenix Running, is a 24hr challenge. Run/walk one mile, on the hour, for 24hrs. It’s happening on the longest day of the year. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - well at least it's not the dreaded one mile.   You're in shape to do a good time over 5 km.

That's a good days training for you today.

Big G - interesting, a few years ago there was a TV programme with a group of people doing a similar thing.   It might have been linked to London marathon charities which is why it was televised.  It seemed an extraordinarily easy challenge when described but turned out to be really hard because of not being able to sleep for more than 30 minutes or so every hour.  I don't think they all managed to do it.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Yes, it does sound easy but I also bet it isn’t. Say you walk it in 20min, what do you do for the next 40mins?  Would you run it, or walk it?  Would you try and sleep?   
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I know, the TV programme had them all on a double decker bus in London and from memory all went well for the first 12 hours or so but as soon as they dozed off it became really hard for them.   They had each other to wake them up, what would you do, set the alarm.  They were like bad tempered zombies.
    I think you'd be sent to the spare room or the sofa!

Definitely an event to do as a group but with social distancing you might not be able to do that.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Yes, I'd set the alarm I think....  It could be a good thing to do with friends remotely I suppose.  Have a Zoom call open all day possibly?  Or maybe it would test friendships too much!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Big G, I looked at that. Looks like a challenge. Not sure it's a challenge I'd fancy as I don't do well without sleep,  but, hmm... It's the weekend my ultra would have been and a couple of days after my birthday.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, are you going to do that event?  I'm considering it.  As I say, I've never done a virtual race before but this has got my interest for some reason, probably because it's something a bit different and is something I wouldn't usually do.

Ian, I think I'm going to do the Strava trial too, but for some reason I've got 90-days?  I haven't gone via any special link or anything, although I did see if you're EA registered there was a link where you could get 90-days.  It's very odd as everyone I've seen has 60 days, although if I go via the mobile app I only get 30-days!  I'm also getting a bit fed up with all the notifications, messages and emails informing me about the changes - I think I've understood the fact that they've made changes!  I am mainly missing the easily accessible weekly mileage totals, although of course I can get that from Fetch.  I'm in two minds whether to ditch Strava entirely and go to Fetch for everything like shoe mileage, naming the activities etc, or stick with Strava for the social side of things.  I don't want to update two systems.  At the moment though Fetch only has my activities from my last couple of months, although there is a system where I can put everything in from Garmin Connect.  It turns out that lots of people are doing that due to the Strava changes as there is a long delay (a few days!) getting the info from Garmin, and then another delay getting it into Fetch as he's said there is a queuing system on his site to not overload his service.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - as a Zoom event would be fine for the daytime but you couldn't do that later into the night as you'd all be trying to get a little sleep at different times.    I think you'd be extremely cross with your alarm clock very quickly. ;)    It's an interesting concept but having seen that TV programme I have some idea what everyone would be letting themselves in for.    If you have close neighbours you'd better tell them what you're doing, I think leaving and returning to your house twice in any hour for 24 hours would appear as suspicious behaviour, wouldn't want the police attending ;) :D

Is 90 day is for annual billing, 60 days or less maybe monthly billing?

Mr Fetch is very good and periodically he asks for a wish list and then if he can, he amends the website accordingly

Cal would be a birthday present you wouldn't forget!   

OMG I've just seen the entry fee :o , I assume at least half is for charity, if not £24 is a complete rip off.

My favourite 8 mile hilly route this morning, absolutely gorgeous morning.   Wish it would stay like that all day instead of it getting hotter, although don't think it will be so warm today.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Shades, you've hit the nail on the head why I'm dubious about the event - cost.  I'll have a think about it, but it's one of those things I probably would never do on my own if there wasn't some incentive.  Regarding the Strava 90-day thing, I don't think it's anything to do with if paying monthly or annually as I haven't reached that part in the process yet.  When I click on upgrade, I was immediately presented with that offer.

Shades, I was doing some googling and came across a video from a chap who seems to know what he's talking about regarding MAF.  He suggested in that video that if things start tightening up (for him it was hips, for me it's my ankles/calves) to ignore HR for maybe 100m after 30-mins or so and just stretch the legs a bit.  What do you reckon?  I think my HR would probably go up to say 160 but would quickly come back down again.  I know it would disrupt things slightly in terms of stats but I wonder if it may be something to try, as that wouldn't really have any impact on the overall benefit of training to HR would it?

I see there is some talk that New Forest Marathon are still hoping they'll go ahead, and they are saying because they're out in the open there's a chance, although of course they say that they're dependent on government/EA guidelines at that time.  13th Sept that one is.  I've always fancied it but never entered it as cost of accommodation in that area is pricey.

I went out and did 7-miles this morning on a mainly flat route, and had a great run out.  I was more at the higher end of my HR range today so a bit quicker than the other afternoon which I think did help in terms of properly running as opposed to shuffling.