Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I had a survey from Chester, but not from Loch Ness, although I hadn't entered it this year.  Had you entered Loch Ness this year?  I will go back there at some point.

Ian, hmmm, not sure.  I wonder if the powers that be will correlate it like that, if there happens not to be a spike?  I'm not sure.  I'm definitely not a scientist but I worry when I see crowds like that though :(  

Rcouture, that's still a decent run out, especially with all the stop/starting.  Funny you should mention crossing roads as I was going to say that I've noticed my HR increases by maybe 3-4bpm if I have to cross a road that has traffic on.  It happens fairly consistently. 

Right, it's nearly 2:30pm.  Time for my morning run....
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Big G - Indeed and it’s also tricky sticking to MAF through a place like London where there are so many folks, cars, noises etc... It might actually account for why I had to slow on today’s run compared to my usual routes through quieter parks/commons. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - no I don't think a lack of a spike after the weekend's protests will speed up the return of our races.  Although there were places folk were too close together in other areas and towns they were well spaced out.  I think the media liked to film it so it looked worse than it was.

If anything it may delay gatherings and introduce stronger legislation for social distancing.

Rcouture - that's a good run.  Expect to have a slower pace over a longer distance due to cardiac drift.  Also the road crossings,  my HR rises in heavy traffic too.

Maybe save the MAF test for an early morning run when you have less people around.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - no, I hadn't entered Chester or Loch Ness but I get all their emails.  I've done Loch Ness 6 or 7 times so I expect I'm on all the mailing lists.

I'll forward you the Loch Ness one tomorrow, shorter and easier survey than Chester.  Chance to win some High5 nutrition products.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, thanks, I'll do that survey.

6-miles today on one of my regular routes, away from the seafront.  Early in the morning this is a very quiet route, but it was a bit busier today meaning it was a bit stop/start to maintain distancing.  Enjoyable though and everyone seemed quite smiley.

I stopped the watch at 6-miles for my stats, but then immediately started it again for 0.1, just so I could get to exactly 60.0 miles for the week :) 

It hasn't been the best of weeks in terms of seeing any progress.  A few glimpses here and there, but nothing particularly special except that hill/slope I ran up the other day for the first time.  Hoping for a better week this coming week.  I certainly feel pretty good, so fingers crossed.

There's been nothing over 7.5 miles this week, so I may see if I can get one or two 10-milers in over the coming week.  I'll see how it goes, but hoping for another 60-mile week, maybe a bit closer to 70 if all goes well.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's a very good weekly mileage considering no runs over 7.5 miles.

They do say with HR training that some progress in 3 weeks and significant progress in 6 weeks.

I've had a really bad week sleeping but as I'm out of library books now I decided to  read Ron Hill's books again.  So started on Part 1 last night.   I'd forgotten how absorbing they are and he doesn't waste words, quite exhausting the speed that they gallop along.    And I had the best night's sleep for ages.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-It was tongue in cheek really,it will have no impact on races.
    Big G-That's another really good week for you,how many days did you double?
    The second run was harder than last weeks,I don't think I drank enough between runs,last week it was hot so I made a conscious effort to make sure I did whereas I just drank whenever today,first 5 miles were ok but the last 4 were tough,anyway 20 miles for the day and 61 for the week is a good start to the month.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, it was 4 doubles, 2 singles and an unplanned rest day. Well done on your week as well. 

Shades, fingers crossed I may kick on again then. We’ll see what happens :)
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Rcouture - nice one - did you enjoy the trail?
    Yes, just found out from my clubmate who also runs it from time to time that the nature reserve section was indeed closed for a while. So I wasn't going mad!
  • Hope you've all had a good weekend!  

Seems alot of climbing going on at the moment! It that in honour of DD this weekend.  I've managed to get my excuses out ready for next year as going to Turkey again (Covid and travel restrictions allowing).  But hope that I'm back running and able to have a crack in 2022!

Spoke with mate who's an RD for the local race, he is planning to go ahead with max 200 maybe 300 in September subject to government guidelines.  Fingers crossed as that will be a low key marathon I'll use as a comeback event.

NDW50 was moved from May to July now September, will mean I have 2x 50 mile events 2 weeks apart from each other.

A few shortish runs, no pain just a bit of a niggle, 2 weeks no drinking and lost some weight, unsure how much as my scales are useless so have bought a new set.

Ian if only these protests might make the government allow big events to happen! (should there not be a spike in a couple of weeks).
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Cal - I did enjoy it though it’s a bit tight at points with cyclists bombing down. Definitely would like to explore more of the south side of it though. It also seems to stop at plough lane and get picked up again somewhere on the other side of the road but I haven’t figured out where. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - another good week's mileage from you.   I've not rehydrated enough in past on double days, trouble is you don't realise until well in the 2nd run.

Big_G said:
    Ian, it was 4 doubles, 2 singles and an unplanned rest day. Well done on your week as well. 

That could have been a quote from your drinking days... ;)

Loch Ness email sent.

Robert - 2022 it is then for DD, I'll make a note  ;)   

My hilly run yesterday was not in honour of DD, but in the summer months I don't need to run on the main roads or urban areas which have street lights so make more use of the quiet country lanes and they seem to be hilly.   Any flatter routes around here are main traffic routes or cycle paths, the cycle paths are very busy now at the weekends.

Perhaps when we have the next announcement later this month we'll have some idea about races, big and small.  

Two 50 milers in 3 weeks, that will be a nice dilemma to deal with. :)

Great progress on the drink, weight and the injury.

8 miles today for me, flat route.   Second run for my new Reebok shoes and I love them.  The cycle path I was running on today has a really good tarmac surface and I just can't stop myself running faster in these shoes.   I feel like I want to race in them, they just feel so good.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Rcouture - when you hit Plough Lane (from either direction) you just cross the road and go a bit left (basically you cross from one bank of the Wandle to the other.
    The trail as a whole is not straightforward to follow as you do cross quite a few roads, but with a bit of trial and error you can go a long way on it. I think the whole thing is 13 miles long, although I've never gone to the very end (where it meets the Thames) as you can't run alongside it until Earlsfield, aside from a very brief section before you go into King George Park.
    I've not gone all the way to the other end either - I will do at some point. But then I'd have to run home from Croydon so it's probably end up being 20 miles total.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Anyway, Monday is usually a rest day but I woke up early so I decided I'd go for a run as my legs weren't really sore. A couple of steps in and I quickly realise it would have to be a recovery run because they felt like lead weights. So very slow - over 11 min miles. I can't say it was massively enjoyable because it was rather grey and a bit windy, but glad I did it.
    Out of interest (because you lot seem to be obsessed with HR), my average HR was 138 for this, which is higher than MAF. I don't think I could even run slow enough to do it in the 120s - 11s is as slow as I can go before my form degrades completely. It would definitely not be a fun way to train for me.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ha ha, Shades.  Yes, sounds like me from my drinking days, except possibly the unplanned rest day ;)   Thanks, I've got the Loch Ness email.

Cal, well done for kicking off the week with a run.

Robert, good to hear from you.  You sound a bit happier about things, which is good to read.  Planning 2x50-milers - wow!

As for me, I had half an idea of doing a MAF test this morning as I was feeling good, but when I got to the seafront I knew it wasn't going to happen as it too windy so I quickly abandoned the idea.  I could have trudged through it but it would have been disappointing and not a fair test, so I didn't see the point.  Ended up going 7.5 miles and it was quite enjoyable, although surprisingly cold today.  I may have to see if anyone knows of a flat loop locally that is more sheltered as this seafront route could be a problem for a decent MAF attempt a lot of the year.  I'll post on the Torbay Tri page and ask.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - your HRM could be measuring your HR higher than it is, that's the usual error with optical HRM's.   If you decided to try HR training it's only the first few weeks that you have to persevere and that is actually an important part of the the development of mitochondria in the legs.   Those that skip to running at higher HR's never achieve what those do that had persevered at lower base training HR's.
    But HR training is not for all, most aren't prepared to put in the work required or see the long term picture and it requires patience, a lot of patience.

Big G - isn't it too soon for your next MAF test?   :#

Do you have any industrial estates near you?   Usually good for flat and often fairly sheltered too, quiet at weekends or early mornings.  You're going to have a problem in the winter with the sea front as not many calm days so worth finding an alternative course.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, after that disappointing one the other day, I was keen to try another one when I woke this morning feeling quite good.  A quick look out the window and on the weather apps made it seem a possibility, but on the front it was quite windy - well, probably only really what would be described as a moderate wind, but still too windy for what I wanted.  My last "proper" test was 20/5, so I suppose a bit too soon really, but I just felt up for it today.  

The one large industrial estate I can think of is actually fairly undulating around there.  There is a section of a route I do quite regularly away from the sea front, but it can get a bit busy with traffic on a country lane, but probably fine early Sunday morning.  There are a couple of parks/rugby pitches but a) I know the terrain will slow me down, regardless of how good it may be and b) the one I'm thinking of in particular is still quite open to the elements anyway.  If it absolutely comes to it I can always go over to Brunel Industrial Estate in Newton although I'd rather not have to drive really.  I suppose there are always things like Aldi/Lidl carparks for a few loops before/after they've closed on a Sunday, but they're a drive away also.  There is an old house near me (Oldway) some of which is flat, but it may only be approx 200m lengths so I'm not sure about that as it could be too stop/start and also a bit dull!  I'll have a think and keep a closer look out for decent routes when I'm out and about.    Paignton seafront is ideal for the route/terrain as it's as flat as you can get, but weather can be an issue for what I want.
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Big G - Nice mileage again. That seaview elevation looks mental!! I remember some Guernsey ultra hills that were killer inclines....15% over a quarter mile or so!!
    Ian - Nice double day.

17 miles on Saturday (9:54 pace for 126 bpm) disappointing run as had to slow a LOT in the last few miles, but HR was still above 75% (129) 10:05 (130), 10:12 (131), 10:27 (134). But got it done.
    Sunday was 7 miles with 3 miles at ILTHR (135-140), those came out to 7:36 (137), 7:40 (138), 7:47 (138). So still a bit of drift there. 51 miles for the week.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Big G - please be patient re the MAF test.

Is Yalberton Industrial Estate undulating, is that the one you mean?   I don't think you'd want to run 5 miles around a pitch, you need road surface and 5 miles round a car park would be soul destroying plus too many corners for easy comfortable running.

If you end up having to drive to a venue and don't fancy Brunel you could drive to Newton.   Run out on Jetty Marsh Nature Reserve as your warm up then you could do out and back on Stover Way/Summer Lane/Stover Way, that's flat and I think it might be very close to 5 miles in total if you run as far as the A38 bridge and back again.   It's very sheltered there.

Steve - great running.  Re your 17 miler, once the cardiac drift kicks in there's no recovery back to base rate, I've found that especially true on longer runs.

The ILTHR miles look speedy and very little drift.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Shades, yes, that's the estate I meant.  I've just spent some time on a site looking for flat bits around there, but it's surprisingly hilly.

Steve, I've done nothing that long, but that's part of the reason I went back to 7.5 milers as I was able to run all of the route.  When I do slightly longer  on a regular, undulating route (I.E., not what I'd call "hilly" at all) after about 9 or 10 miles I sometimes have to slow right down.  So for me, 7.5 in the morning and say 6 in the afternoon is more satisfying as I can run most of it, although I know I'm not getting some of the benefit of a single 13.5 mile run.  If it's flat I can run more of a 10-miler, but anything with any elevation I have to slow down, which is frustrating.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Just got an email about Seaview, and it's definitely cancelled this year.  You can sense they've tried everything but there's nothing to be done.  The TRA license and the coaches are the big issues, as I'm guessing runners would have been happy to hang about in a carpark if the cricket club couldn't have opened in time, if it meant the race could have gone ahead.  You can also sense he's a bit of a direct/no-nonsense kind of chap, but I quite like that :)  I remember in the race email that gets sent out he says something like "no complaining!" if you happen to get lost :)  

Dear Seaview entrant,
    It is with great regret that we have had to cancel the Seaview 17 this year. Everything is against us:
    1) The bus company is only able to take about 10 passengers on each 50 seater
    2) Our venue Minehead Cricket Club is not able to open until August 1st at the earliest
    3) The Trail Running Association is not issuing licences, with a review due on July 1st

We are offering you all refunds of your entry fees. We will start to process these on June 22nd. We are not offering deferments. The fee paid to Racespace is non refundable.

Unfortunately our charity of the year http://charlieschallengeonline.co.uk/ will lose out massively. If you would like your entry fee to be donated to Charlie's Challenge, then please could you email seaview@mineheadrunningclub.co.uk to tell us ASAP and you will have Charlie's grateful thanks.

We do hope that you are all managing to keep running safely and hope to see you in 2021!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I used to have a part time job at a nightclub on that estate and it was flat where the club was but I couldn't remember about the rest of the estate.

That's a shame about Seaview for this year, you can ditch the mountain training for now.  ;)

Interesting about TRA not reviewing permits until July.

You're doing much better to do 2 runs a day that keep you in your HR zone rather than one long run that takes you into cardiac drift.  Going into cardiac drift doesn't help the training effect.  
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Shades - Would you therefore say it’s best not to do long runs at all during MAF training due to cardiac drift? I’ve been thinking i should keep doing them (for me I consider them >10mi) so that it’s not a shock when marathon training starts? Also due to having less than a year’s experience of actually running those kinds of distances. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Hadn't thought of it like that Shades, in terms of going into cardiac drift not helping training, but makes sense now I think of it.  A couple of weeks ago I came back from a moderately undulating 10-miler but really struggled in the last mile or so for some reason, so decided to do less 10-milers for a bit.  I may do one or two this week though, but I'll see.  I think if I went much past 12, even on a flat route, the later miles would be very much run/walk as opposed to run.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture/ Big G - by all means do long runs if you want to, or of course as preparation for a marathon.  Long runs teach us to cope with extra distance and time on our feet etc but don't aid your HR training once you go into cardiac drift.  If you have the training time before your next marathon then there's no need to increase the distance of the long runs now.   As your aerobic condition improves you will be able to run further with little or no cardiac drift and naturally long runs will become much more comfortable and feel easier.

If you can remember the results that I posted on here of my last Hadd test which showed significant improvement since last summer.   I never ran further than 10 miles in training for 8 months, I was running 50 miles a week though.  I did do a couple of marathons but they actually set me back a bit training wise at the time.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Thanks Shades. Between conditioning, experience and work, I don’t think I’d be able to consistently do 50 mile weeks for a long enough period, aside from a few weeks’ marathon specific training. I’m hoping if I can maintain 30-40 for however many months we have until racing that should still see me progress under MAF. So far it’s working but I don’t want to muck up the benefits with longer runs. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - if you can do 40 mpw you will still make good progress.

I would often run much higher mileage than 50 mpw so my point was that I made progress without being on higher mileage.   High mileage has always worked for me in the past, in my best years up to 100 mpw on a few occasions.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Legs were a bit sore this morning so decided to take a rest day.
    Cal-Are you doing the BMAF 5k relay next week? Is so it's from Sunday to Saturday,I know you usually do your speed on saturday so if you do it this week it won't count.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ian - yes - there are actually two 5Ks as we also have the Parkland Relays, which usually takes part in Richmond Park. I was going to do them as one but as I prefer to do a long run on Sunday I will probably do the BMAF next week instead. I do a 5K a week anyway so it won't make much difference.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    8 miles this morning, chilly but good running weather and sunny from the start.   Did an ILTHR, first 3 miles easy, 4 miles ILTHR, 1 mile easy.   

HRM battery died in the last mile, that's the 3rd time the battery has failed with this HRM in 7ish months.  Maybe there's a problem with the HRM, can't really send it back and complain as I was given it FOC.

Stopped on the way back to look at the swans at the quay, parent takes the cygnets out on the mud bank to sleep in the warmth of the morning sun, growing well, they're the size of small chickens already.

Loads of runners out this morning, never usually see so many that early, as I was home before 7 a.m.