Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - no harm in booking a refundable room for the New Forest then, I'm sure they'll have a good refund/deferment policy.   I used to love the old NF race, even endured the 2+ miles of off road as it was such a lovely course.   But this is the new course and now 50% off road, very popular race.   

Keith - I'm not suggesting you should retire  ;)   I'm sure you're right that there will be enough putting their names forward to accept redundancy as that's a generous package.   Lockdown has given folk a chance to think how they might want to change their work life so this is an opportunity for some to do so.

6 miles this morning, 17 degrees and very humid.  

I have an appointment with my hairdresser this morning, she comes to my place.   I asked her if I need to don mask and gloves but I don't.   She has to use sanitiser and wear a visor, as per the rules.
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Shades - No that was with the optical HR still. I forgot to use strap this morning on my 5 miler too!!

I think I might try 140-145 for my next ILTHR run, as I feel I'm good at 135-140 now, just disappointed that my 125 pace isn't where I want it to be!!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - yes, looks like you're ready to move up to the next stage.

I was only hoping that the chest strap might give you lower readings at your base rate and you can then speed up a bit.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, funnily enough I did have a look at Premier Inn. There are some that are affordable and around 30mins away. I’ll have a think about it. Although they’re confident they’ve got everything in place (and I’m sure they have) I’m not sure if they’ll get the go ahead. I hope I’m wrong but that’s just what I think. It’s quite a large event - a couple of thousand I believe, but from what they’ve said about the location it does seem about as safe as you can get.

I was having a look back through that BT thread too. Some interesting stuff there.

There’s an Aussie YouTube guy who has a few hundred subscribers and is trying to build up his channel.  I like him as he’s quite open regarding the ups and down of MAF. He’s a good runner - sub 3 and 50+ I think. But he’s realised he’s been doing it ‘wrong’ over the last few months. His MAF is 132 but that’s been the average of his whole run, so in theory he could have started at 122 and ended on 142. He made a video and he’s clearly upset about it and apologetic etc. He’s got some nice comments so I hope he keeps going. The video has lots of editing - I think he was struggling to get his words out. Main part starts at 4:48.  

I’m enjoying his channel though. It’s winter there and he was complaining he was very cold at 8deg.  Seems perfect to me! Looks stunning where he is and of course I checked out the Gold Coast Marathon. Ha ha, another one added to the (bottom of the) list. 

I went and did 10 miles today. Quite humid but I started out easy and averaged 136 at 10:07, including a few slopes I had to walk. I enjoyed it out there today. Then walked to work with OH and stopped off for a second breakfast at a cafe on the way back - breakfast bap and coffee hit the spot. My weight is still very good so it was very nice for a treat :)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - apparently bookings are going well for Premier Inns and Travelodges so unlikely the prices will stay such good value.   Of course now we can get refundable rooms at better prices too.

That Aussie chap must have missed the bit that his MAF rate is a starting place and in time to aim for 10 bpm below.   But of course it depends really how accurate his MAF rate is for him, i.e. not putting him up into 80+% MHR for base training.    But HR training is a lot of trial and error.

On that lengthy BT thread, which I'm also re-reading.  If you look at the penultimate page I detailed the lead up to my 10 minute marathon PB in 2009.   I'd forgotten that I'd run 2 marathons the previous weekend, not a double but 2 in 3 days.

I've had my hair cut  :)

Now I'm going out to buy a sofa.   I've been saving for a new sofa for years and then spending the fund on marathons and related travel costs.   But now with all the refunds I have a surplus in my budget.    Am going to try and buy local, Harvey's going into administration has made me a bit nervous.  I know my credit card would refund me but I might wait months before knowing if I was going to get (or not) my sofa from a big chain.   I don't blame the companies at all, very difficult times for businesses.

Great news that you've settled comfortably at your new weight, especially as you can still have 2 breakfasts.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Good luck with the sofa shopping, Shades.

Shades, in terms of timing, New Forest could be perfect for me as that will be 20 weeks since I started MAF training and I'd consider that a decent block.  Then if I do incorporate some speed work at 80/20 or 90/10 in August again it could be perfect as I could do a few sessions in August and then stop them again if I wanted to,  couple of weeks before the race.  I'm tempted, I have to say, particularly as usually accommodation is really expensive around there, which is what has put me off entering it in the past.  I've always fancied doing that event so I am very tempted.

Just looking back, I am definitely seeing improvements.  I have a regular 10-miler - sometimes I go Paignton-Torquay-Goodrington-Paignton and sometimes I go Paignton-Goodrington-Torquay-Paigton, but it's on exactly the same routes, same distance, same elevation, etc.

Today's run was very, very comfortable and I averaged 10:07min/mile, 136bpm, 1377 beats per minute and did it in 1:41:15.  30th April I did 10:39min/mile, 134bpm, 1432 beats per minute and did it in 1:46:27.  So today, when it felt really comfortable, I was over 5mins quicker (30secs/mile) on the same route.  I think most of that time improvement is because I'm able to run more of the slopes now, and although today's average HR is a couple of beats higher, again I think that is partly because I am running more of the slopes so it's not as stop/start.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    This is going to upset some people in 100MC following their Monday committee meeting.  Basically, UK marathons still don't count, even if some small ones are going ahead.  But foreign marathons do now count if non essential travel is allowed to that country.  They're going to keep on top of any changes in government guidelines.

https://www.100marathonclub.org.uk/files/user_uploaded/articles/100MC 6th July Committee meeting minutes.pdf?1594200304

Regarding New Forest, if it goes ahead but it still doesn't "count" at that time, I'd still do it as it is an event I want to do.  For me personally, New Forest feels like a different event compared to running around a lake in MK.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I haven't looked at the results for New Forest but I believe it's quite a fast course considering half is trail.

I'm sure if it gets the go-ahead races will then be recognised by 100mc as it will be a sizeable event and I assume has EA or TRA permit.

I can understand the 100mc thinking in the decision from this meeting.   Although some of it is a bit woolly at least they are going to allow the foreign races.
    Don't know what that Chelmsford event is, I wonder if that should say IOM?

That's significant progress in your base pace, 30 secs per mile in 2 months is a lot.

Sofa purchased, saw one yesterday but thought it would be too big so came home to measure up and it's fine.  Will have in a few days.  Of course then I need to decorate and buy new curtains etc so more spending but I have several unused budget funds I can tap into.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I think there is a UKA-sanctioned pilot event in August. 
    https://www.chelmsford-athletics.club/lap-o-the-lake
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's interesting they're doing a pilot event, might help our future races.

Short sighted though of the 100mc not to be aware that the IOM marathon is going ahead.   It's not a foreign marathon as it has a UKA permit.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Howdy all,

BigG: I'm actually trying to set up a parkrun here in Breda but there's a lot of organising and stuff behind it. Ideally you need to have a group of runners supporting and helping. I've got...3. So, I'm tempted to try and give it to someone else and see if they can make a go of it. 

Re: 100club. I think they've made a smart decision with the rules but things like IOM will be a thorn in their side (especially if Wales/Scotland/NI start to reopen). 

Shades: good news on the sofa. That's a quick buy! What's the delivery times like? 

5miles this morning with the dogs. Just a "quick" one as I've got both kids today and don't have time later. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades/Emmy, I think they've got the balance right too.  IoM I suppose in some ways is an anomaly at the moment.  Maybe they'll change it soon to say UK events are okay if they have a UKA permit, but that would still alienate people who like doing the smaller events.  Personally I'm okay with what they've done.

Emmy, it's tough getting parkruns up and running.  One local to me took a looooong time to set up, but it's proved to be successful.  I take it there are no running or athletics clubs nearby that you'd be able to tap into?  I'm not personally involved in any, but from what I've heard if you can get a team together (as you say) and then get the council or whoever manages the land on board, you're half way there.  That makes it sound easy, but it can be a long process.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - Wales will probably be the last to allow events.  NI might be first to do so but not sure there are any marathons planned for the rest of the year.

Should have sofa in a few days, clearance stock.   :)

Going to be tough getting a parkrun started especially if you have to get  local authority and financial backing.   Parkrun relied on its reputation for bringing people into the sport and that's what generated their funding.    But more people have taken up running due to the pandemic than because of parkrun. 

UKA are making severe cuts financially to avoid going bust and if London doesn't happen London won't have the money either to support parkrun.  So not sure if they'll have enough funding at parkrun without a change of policy and structure too.
  • Hi Shades, again thanks for your advice. Certainly not aerobically superfit, and not at the stage yet of 10Mi with no drift, but still little progress. I hope you aren’t going to be sorry for saying that I could ask as many questions as I want, but perhaps I can tell you my story, would certainly appreciate your Hadd-experienced / objective view. I started near end March on low HR training, on a prior base of about 25kms/week for the previous 3 months, and somewhat less the 3 months before that (hence my nickname).

I was theoretically following Hadd, but because I felt that 70% HRMax would have been just too slow I started on about 73%. Within a month I was down about 30 secs/km, and in another month another 20 secs/km. Promising progress, but I guess that I have to consider the lack of fitness when starting, and that in that period I moved from the mileage mentioned to a peak of 65kms a week (not then used to it yet, but the easy running got me there with no problems), and I lost about 7lbs.

I then read about Maffetone, and read on various threads / fora the comment “the slower I go the more I improve” so I thought I would give Maffetone a try for further base training until I was ready for the faster Hadd runs. As you know, unlike Hadd which is an average, the constraint with MAF is to not exceed MAF at all, so, the average bpm I reached when doing MAF was about 5 bpm less than I had been doing with Hadd, consequently – and perhaps not surprisingly – my times per km at first went back to what they had been at the start of Hadd, and soon after that they went backwards a further 20 secs / km, and were generally erratic bouncing back and forth between the old start of Hadd times and 20 secs slower, and I have seen little or no improvement over the 6 weeks since starting MAF. The only things that have happened is that (a) the erratic nature of the times have reduced so that I am generally at the old start of Hadd times consistently, and sometimes 5 – 10 secs better, but not near the Hadd times I eventually got to after the first 2 months, and (b) I get up the hills with a little less walking/slowing.

Is there a clue in this, specifically that if I got good progress on Hadd, is it that this was at the “sweet-spot” for my LT, and the MAF is too slow and I should return to Hadd? Or should I continue to be patient? Have also pushed mileage up to 80+kms, and not used to that yet (although not feeling tired) so perhaps getting used to that may have had an effect?

Your point about training HR and HRM could have a bearing, I am basing the HRM on the highest reading I got 3 years ago, running up a steep hill with 1km to go in a hard 10k race chasing hard someone I wanted to beat. Would this be a reasonable indicator? I know that it is normally a 5k race that might elicit the highest HRM, but this was the highest I had had.

Haven’t yet done a MAF or Hadd test, but am checking first mile - after a warm up - of my run on a certain course, and it isn’t showing any real change. On the plus side, I am keeping up the running under MAF for now, so we’ll see.

Apologies Shades, I shouldn’t take up so much of your time with such a long post, but a view from someone standing back would be really welcome.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Shades, am not sure that London marathon supports parkrun any more. Certainly don't seem to be listed as a supporter/sponsor. 

I was involved in setting up a parkrun: was difficult to say no as the prime mover was a neighbour and friend. And it was difficult setting up: local authorities, health and safety, parkrun themselves. We managed to get funding from the L.A., the co-op and the airport. The latter two have community funds that are easy to tap into; the L.A. gave the money out of a health budget, if I remember correctly.
    And it is a major commitment! 52 weeks a year! Our course was entirely on grass and liable to flooding so one of us had to check the course the day before(usually me!), and the course had to be set up and taken down. In the winter this was often the evening before. Usually took around 45 minutes to set up, 30 minutes to take down. No fun when it was freezing or even worse, wet.  Plus the hassle of getting volunteers etc. Did enjoy it but glad when others took over. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Alehouse: as it's new here (the Netherlands), parkrun pay the start up costs so it's just getting the location, approval from landowners and then volunteers. As you say, it's a big commitment and one that people aren't necessarily ready to make. 

Big G: there are several clubs but I've had absolutely no response to my emails. I've also tried a local running shop and they were keen but said "they have their own regular unofficial 5k in the park" so didn't want another one as competition.

We've had a few issues with the boswachter here and that's not ideal either as one route was through the forest/heavily reliant on their goodwill. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Alehouse - Hugh Brasher used to be a director of parkrun and at the time I was told that London marathon contributed to support parkrun.  I believe London marathon do support in a charitable way to such things.  But Brasher has since resigned from parkrun.   Parkrun don't seem to keep their sponsors for long, not sure why.

It's a lot of committment taking on a parkrun.

Emmy - maybe the running clubs are not operating as usual right now as they would need to have their committee meetings to discuss your email proposal.

I had to look up boswachter,  ;)

Returnee - that's really interesting.   I can see why right now you're somewhat frustrated.

Re your MHR, I think that was a good test up that hill in a tough hilly race.  At most you could add a couple of bpm if you didn't throw up.
    Hill reps are usually the best way to do a MHR test.

You made significant progress when starting out with Hadd and 73% is OK.  I tend to run 70-75% as not much flat around here.

I've never done Maffetone, as mentioned before when I looked at it a few years ago the MAF rate was just too high for me and Hadd appealed to me more.  So Big G is our resident Maffetone expert.

I think you're right, you should think about a return to running at your Hadd base training rate.   See if you can start making progress again.

A Hadd test is a good idea, if you don't have easy access to a track then any flat road will do.   Even if you only do the test for the lower 3 heart rates, that's where you want to see initial progress.  Or easier still do a MAF test using your Hadd HR.

One other consideration is that for the last few weeks humidity had increased a lot, most of us have noticed that we've had poor and often inconsistent stats.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Returnee, I was lucky as my the high limit of my MAF rate (142) is actually at 73% of my max, which is line with what you were seeing when you were running to Hadd.  So 132-142 is about right for me I think, and I call that my MAF range.  I don't think Maffetone is an exact science so maybe find 73% as your max and run between that and -10 of that (I hope that makes sense), which is then in line with MAF as he suggests a 10 beats range.  I will just say though that I have not made linear progress at all.  Some runs are fantastic and some are rubbish, depending on weather, humidity, etc etc etc.  I am still learning a lot through this but I am seeing progress when I look over my stats over the last 10.5 weeks.  If you can and it appeals, keep good records.  I have a spreadsheet and a list of regular runs, and I'm tracking all sorts on there.  It appeals to me as I'm a geek, but I can then see progress when I look back even if my MAF tests themselves may not be leaping forward as much as I'd like.

Shades/Emmy/Alehouse - that is strange about parkrun and London.  I'm sure fairly recently (i.e., in the last 12 months) I noticed London was still on the site as a supporter or sponsor.  I could be wrong though.

Strange about the running clubs, Emmy.  Maybe they're a bit unsure as parkrun is so new there?  I know we (Trotters) were approached and said "no".  I was actually for it, but the decision was no just mainly based on the amount of work needed week in week out.  And of course we have our own races anyway which take a lot of organising.

Talking abut fantastic runs.  I had one this afternoon.  My 6-mile loop with the uphill first mile was again the quickest I've done on that route.  I was smiling like a loon on the downhill bit - it just felt great.  It's been a good day for me today with 16 miles for the day and both runs decent.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - you've had a great training day today.   :). The smiling like a loon made me laugh.

I'm glad I didn't imagine London marathon as a previous sponsor of parkrun.  London has a charity and I suppose they allocate funds to different causes each year.   Odd that Brasher resigned too, although I don't know if it was at the same time, if linked at all.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Regarding parkrun I’m a bit confused as I just came across this. 
    https://www.parkrun.org.uk/sponsors/supporters/londonmarathon/

I don’t know if that is an old page but I presume it would have been taken down if it was no longer valid (I found the above page from Googling, not directly off the parkrun site).

London Marathon isn’t in the list of current supporters though, which is odd. So I presume the above page is no longer valid. 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    London Marathon definitely were a sponsor/supporter of parkrun (your link is 2013 I think, Big_G) but as Shades says, parkrun don't seem to keep their sponsors for very long. They may, of course, just sign a one/two/three year deal (I know of one company who had a three year deal). Hugh Brasher was involved with parkrun when Sweatshop were a lead sponsor (he was the CEO). parkrun and Sweatshop went their separate ways around 5 years ago I think.

Returnee: if I can make an observation! You seem to have gone from 25 to 65 then to 80k in a relatively short period of time and whilst you say that you don't feel tired I would be fairly sure that it must have an impact. Have you had a cut back week at all (sorry if I missed you saying so)? The key thing of course is to train consistently and it is that consistent consistency that reaps dividends. Patience is definitely the name of the game! And with no races on the horizon I guess we are all learning to be patient, which in my view is no bad thing!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Returnee - I am a running novice but for what it’s worth I’ve been using MAF training for just over two months and have gone from 11-11:30min/mi to around 10 now in that time. Lots of ups and downs as per Big G but it has allowed me to build consistent mileage up to 45mpw now with limited niggles/burnout. For background prior to MAF I probably ran 30mpw avg this year training haphazardly for a cancelled April mara. I am 39 and only started running a year ago, with just one road race (a 1:45 HM in feb) to my name. 

7 miles this afternoon. 87pct humidity so was super slow but nice and relaxing in the rain. 

Shades - Took my Arahis out for first time. They fit great and feel much lighter and faster than my GT but I’m concerned that I could feel my knees knocking a bit more which makes me feel like there’s not as much support as there should be. Will persevere as I like them otherwise (And doubt I can return them at this stage!) but will keep an eye on it. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    I did NF 1/2 a couple f years ago, ive done the NF10 on same course too. Struck me as a bit of a money maker, wouldnt do it again (even when they gave me a free place as AG winner), i think it was a bit short - no garmin to prove it though. Its a fantastic place to run though, a real privilege to run in NF. Results never made Pof10, not sure if you need that to be able to count it towards your 100?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks TR.  No it's not needed to be on Pof10 for 100MC purposes.  I have some Travelodge vouchers to use up so I've contacted them to see what happens if I need to cancel to check that will I still get the voucher back.  I presume I will but I'm just checking first.  I'm still undecided anyway though.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - you have made good progress with MAF in 2 months, especially considering you were well into marathon training before you started MAF.

The Arahis seem like a great shoe, bit concerned that you could feel your knees knocking though.  ;)   I hope you will adjust to that.   The GT2000 is for mild overpronators so wouldn't have thought it would have differed too much support wise.   However, Hokas do feel different especially if you haven't used Hokas before. 

TR - I believe NF is quite a fast course so good running to get an AG prize there, I would imagine it's quite a competitive race.   
    Are off road events on Pof10?  It wouldn't have a certificate of measurement as too much off road.  Trail events often come up a bit short (or over) as often measured on GPS.   The 100MC only requires a trail marathon to be 26 miles, often impossible to measure accurately off road anyway, depending on the terrain.

Big G - NF will fill if there's a strong possibility of it going ahead.   
    I didn't take Travelodge vouchers, I took the money.   Not sure if you'd get the voucher back, maybe better to use the vouchers another time.

7 miles this morning, 17 degrees and very humid, the lights in my flat were flickering so maybe an electrical storm in the area.   I decided to be brave and run past B & Q and where that seagull that attacked me.   I ran as close the the wall/hedge as I could while the seagull was perched on the street light glaring at me.   But he didn't attack today, might have been my jazzy arm warmers that deterred him  :D  I bought these in Frankfurt.   That will be probably the nearest I'll get to Frankfurt this year 😭

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, Pof10 uses UKA races I think.  I just had a look and there was this: "For road and multi terrain, we include performances from races that have been awarded a UKA license either by runbritain or one of the Celtic national governing bodies".  My Pof10 profile is very empty of marathons.

I went and did 7.5 miles today and had a good run out again.  Annoyingly although the activity is on my watch I can't get it to sync either via my phone app or via USB.  Not sure of there's a problem at the Garmin end or what but I'll try again later.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Big G - Garmin server was offline for maintenance earlier today so could be that 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - but RunBritain don't permit NF do they?   Actually I just looked at NF website and in FAQ it says they are not a UKA race, they must have their own insurance then as they aren't permitted with ARC either.

But Pof10 don't use TRA races do they?

Garmin was slow to sync yesterday and even slower today, I had to plug my watch into PC both days.  Today my phone picked up my Garmin stats 2 hours after I'd finished my run.  But stats picked up on PC in 10 minutes, after multiple refreshing  :#
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Shades - I'll probably do 3 miles at 140-145 on Sunday.
    Big G - Sounds like great progress to me.

10 miles today managed to stay around 70-75%. Not sure if I will stick with HADD after this week, as that will be 8 weeks. I know the benefits from sticking with it, but tempted to just run easy with some 10k work one week and MP the next.

Big G - Garmin were having server issues this morning, as mine wouldn't sync either. My 17 miler on Saturday didn't upload to Strava, so I had to download the gpx file from Garmin connect and upload into Strava!!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I'm not sure about TRA in terms of the Pof10, but I expect not.  I think it's just UKA.  I suppose it's partly because I'm not that competitive in terms of my age groups, but I don't really look at Pof10.  My profile is mainly full of parkruns that I've trotted around.  I would want the marathon to be accurately measured though - if it does end up being a reasonable time I'd want to feel it was accurate.  I need to have more of a think about it by the sounds of it.

Sounds like a few of us are having Garmin issues then.  Annoying!