Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - I had a quick look at the run route, 2 laps for the marathon.   There is a GPX file but I can't upload that.   General description of run routes is flat and fast, but that might be a bit vague as there are shorter distances too.

If anyone does enter check the T & C.   RO did not give full refunds etc when LCW Wales was cancelled.   But he does put on great events I've done the marathon in Tenby a few times.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Forgot to post yesterday. Not a great run - 6 miles with lots of aches and pains and hip was giving me odd twinges. So you'd think I'd take the hint and rest today, rather than the hilly 10 mile run I actually did. For the record, I enjoyed this one a lot more and most of the niggles weren't too bad. Achilles got a little gripier towards the end but some of those hills were pretty steep.

Big G, I agree with Shades, that's a big jump - do you really need to be running that far in a week?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Shades, I think my lower HR was due to the fact that I was running really easy on purpose. IE on my ‘fast’ section where I’m often around 8:45ish (sometimes under 8:30) I did it purposefully very easy in 9:25. I take your point though - I’m not going to push it and if I feel I need a day off I’ll take it. No problem with that. It’s just surprising that on paper it does look doable. 

Cal, it’s just a personal challenge to see if I can do it really and what it feels like to do it. I did 82 the other week and was fine in that I followed it with 3xaprox 60 mile weeks. But if I feel I need a day off it’s no problem....I’m not going to do it if it breaks me. 
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    RC - Just tell your colleague that Shades said you're not allowed to run with anyonr else whilst HR training. That should stop him in his tracks  B)

Did my 15k wind farm run this morning, kept well within my HR target and really enjoyed it. As I was coming over the top a fine misty rain started to fall and cooled me down beautifully,  absolutely perfect timing. A large hare exploded out of the undergrowth at the side of me not long after and shot off over the fields like a bullet. I have just googled speeds for hares and they can run at around 45mph which is a fair old lick when you think about it.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    How lovely to see a hare, MF. Out of interest, is it windy running through a windfarm?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - good that the niggles are still improving.

Big G - if you're going to continue your plan for the week I would suggest that perhaps running one day a single run only, so that you have 24 hours before the next run.   Might recharge your batteries.

It all looks doable on paper 😲  that's why we all enter ultras/multiple events etc.

mamafox - that sounds like a lovely run.   Hares are very rare around here, very beautiful and fast.
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Shades - I often see hares, there are lots of them round here, beautiful animals.

Cal - Yes, they definitely do their research before they install these sites. My  "local" one is on one of the highest points around here, there are eight turbines and they are sort of placed diagonally. There is another site which must be, I don't know, about 30 miles away which you can see from here then another one, much further away but still in the same line as it were.
    Today is a really calm day but coming over the top there was a definite light breeze and the turbines were turning round lazily. On a windy day I sometimes go up for the fun as you can feel like you could almost be blown away. I went up a couple of years ago during a summer storm and was enjoying watching the skies changing colour and the lightning far away until I suddenly thought about being struck by lightning myself and legged it home.
    It's a lovely spot and the views are gorgeous from up there. I'll try and remember to take my phone next time to take a couple of photos.

Bet you wish you hadn't asked now! :D
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ha ha no. I was interested as there's a race here called Run the Blades - I did wonder how windy it would be. (I don't like running in wind!)
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Cal: we have wind farms here and on a windy day, it can be near impossible to stay upright. It's definitely not for the light hearted!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Good luck with the rest of the week,i'm on 41 and couldn't imagine doing another 60,but I know what you mean about how people do it,there is a guy called Kelvin in our club who regularly does 100+,just had a quick look and in April-June he did 1360 miles,never seems to be injured either.
    Mama-I actually seen a hare on Tuesday in the park,not too common around here,so it was a nice site to see.
    Usual after work run,quite happy that everything is ticking over as that is 110 in 10 days.
    Slight issue in a couple of weeks is that I got told today we are getting a visit off the boss of company in the UK,so a pretty big deal which will take a bit of my training time,it should be just at the start of my taper though so could work out well.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    My potential 10 mile race is sounding very promising,
    The BIG update is coming very very soon,we may have some extra entries for sale so like our page to hear first,unfortunately we can't have spectators this year,but you can watch if you register as a marshal.
    This was basically the message,sounds like smaller races may be getting the go ahead this week.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Ian5: that's looking very promising! I hope thats the case. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Sounds very promising Ian.  Fingers crossed.  That is phenomenal mileage from your club mate.  I don't know how they do it.

7 miles this morning and I had a much better run out compared to yesterday.  I ate a lot of (relatively healthy) food yesterday and also was really careful to make sure I had plenty of fluids,  so maybe that helped this morning.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I think everyone is waiting to hear the next update from EA on events.   According to their chart the next step would be gatherings of up to 200, subject to government guidelines.  However, the same chart says no face to face competition under the Road Running section.
    So that info from your 10 miler sounds like maybe up to 200 people in total, who needs spectators anyway.  We'd need a change in government guidelines for that to happen, maybe that will be announced too this week.

ARC have issued a few permits but the events have to keep to the rules for distancing etc., and they have rolling starts, new risk assessments etc.

Big G - good that you're feeling less jaded today.   100 miles needs a fair bit of fuelling.  

Rest day for me today, have run for the last 12 days.   
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I don't track it precisely but I estimate that I ate 50% more calories yesterday than usual!  It was all fairly healthy stuff, but I did eat quite a lot.  I was hungry though so just went with it.  By the way I did have a look at that Dutch marathon but it's the week before Warsaw which at the moment is still going ahead so I think I'll leave it for now.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Big G, sounds like you had the fuel to keep going. 

Shades: I'm not sure EA know precisely what they're doing at the moment.

5miles for me this morning in the rain. It's such weird weather at the moment. I'm presenting a webinar this afternoon so trying to do the last bit of preparation. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - well you must have needed those extra calories.

I hope Warsaw goes ahead, is that a potential PB course?

Probably wise not to book any further travel right now as it looks like some countries are struggling with increase in Covid cases and if it gets worse travel quarantines will come back again.

E mmy said:

Shades: I'm not sure EA know precisely what they're doing at the moment.

No change there then!   :D
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Regarding EA, we (Trotters) are waiting with bated breath for what they may do next, like probably virtually every club and race up and down the country.  It's so annoying.  At the moment, strictly speaking, Trotters can't even put on our proposed club only event...we do have a Zoom call pencilled in for this Monday in the hope that EA do release something this week as we're keen to get moving with it but at the moment we're stuck.  Again, for me personally, it could work out really well as if we are able to put the events on it will tie in with my plans for August.  It's a 4-mile, undulating course so although not quick, I know what I've done it before in previous years so it would be a good test to compare.

Regarding Warsaw, I have been before and remember it as being quite flat around the centre at least but, possibly worryingly, the website current has "The route will be announced soon" under course details.  I did find a Strava link from 2017 from the same organisers and if it's more or less the same as that then it looks fast to me.  An incline at 19 miles but nothing horrendous.  The only thing is I am still not 100% sure I want to fly at the moment so I'll have to see what I feel like when it comes to end of September.
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Everyone over here seems to be zooming off on holiday now, there are lots of reports of massive traffic jams and there is a big increase in July holidays compared to your average year. The feeling is that there are going to be more lockdowns in August so people are travelling now while they can :/

I ended up doing a Big G yesterday and got a double in. I had to go up to the school in the afternoon to check something and seeing that is only an 8k round trip directly through the forest and I had the time I took the dog and trotted off. Most enjoyable apart from the horseflies.

10k done this morning. Quite humid so not a great result in terms of stats but I'm not bothered.

Emmy, I had to google what a webinar was, I can be such a bumpkin on times :| Hope that goes well.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - you could put on your club handicap event as long as it abides by government guidelines and if you need a permit then apply for one from ARC.  If you don't need a permit your insurance from ARC covers club activities.

I thought Warsaw was quite a fast course, hope you get a chance to have a pop at a PB there.

mamafox - it will/is the same here.   The roads are heaving in late July and August in the UK and will be worse this year as less will be going to Spain/Greece etc.   I'm not intending to drive anywhere of any distance until end of September.

Clever sneaking in an extra run.   Not so good about the horseflies, they are evil.

• RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    MF/Shades - We go to Southwold on the coast every year at the end of August and folks we know over there also say it’s absolutely packed at the moment and likely to remain the case for the rest of the summer. We might delay and go in late September since our kids are young enough that it doesn’t matter for schools. I doubt I’ll be getting on a plane for work or hols till the end of the year I don’t think and given how much I used to have to (and hate) travel for work, I’m very happy with that. 

7 miles last night and again under 10min/miles which makes it two runs in a row now for the first time. Hopefully Brighton in September confirmed cancelled this wk and I can carry on trying to get my MAF time to a sub 4 hour mara pace which might be possible by year end. Am alternating the Hokas and ASICS and seems much better in terms of day-after soreness so thanks for the advice Shades (how are you always right?!). 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - September seems a much better time for your holidays, no fun queuing on the roads in traffic jams.  And with social distancing queuing for food/drinks/ice cream with so many people around would be awful.

You've really made a big improvement in your MAF pace.

I'm not always right, I just like to think I am.  ;).  I've been running a long time.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Info about Antwerp night marathon for those interested: https://www.portofantwerpnightmarathon.com/nl/faq/

Shades: my sister lives on the border Devon/Somerset and she said that the increased traffic the past two weeks has been crazy. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Emmy-Cheers for the link,it is in Dutch I think though,but if you click at the top there is an English version.
    Big G-Presume you have the chester email,I have deferred for next year,like the 100% refund as they only offered 50% for the half,but that's fair enough as they would have ordered medals etc with the half being in May and not for the full.
    I have took the virtual option for the half,not really bothered about the tshirt or medal but I'm happy to support them as I know it's a couple of guys who run great races.
    9 after work,all going good,nothing to report,pace seems a little quicker again recently,I'm sure I get a kick on in pace just after the long runs.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done Rcouture. Good progress there. 

Ian, yes, I got the email too. Shame for them. Lots of good options and I went for the refund on this occasion.

7.5 miles this afternoon and although quite warm in the sun a fair bit of this route is in the shade. Got back and put the pizza oven on for fresh, homemade pizza :)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - that stretch of the M5 is always a bottleneck.

Ian - my phone offers to translate those foreign websites  ;)   Looks like they're making sensible plans at Antwerp re Covid.

6 miles this morning, was humid in places and misty in others.   

Roadkill observed today was a dead snake.  It was very dead and had been flattened into the road, sort of silver/blue/green, think it could have been a grass snake, not sure.  About 20-24 inches long approx. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    10-miles this morning.  Was okay, but whilst out I remembered something that happened on yesterday afternoon's run.  Yesterday's run there a good portion of it that is trail - it's fine and I wear road shoes in the summer.  But to keep social distancing with another runner I wasn't quite looking where I was going and landed heavily on a rock on my right foot.  It did make me pull up for a short while but I ran on and it was fine, and then I forgot about it all evening.  Anyway, within about a mile today I remembered as there as a dull ache there.  It was manageable as it was 2/10 in terms of pain, but I need to keep an eye on it.  On checking my Trigger Point book there is a tendon right there so I don't want any trouble with that, so some stretching and massage needed in that area.  Other than that, it was a nice run out this morning.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    7 miles yesterday afternoon at fastest time so far under MAF and in spite of it being 24 degrees. Not sure what’s going on this week but things seem to have taken a step up. Perhaps it’s the lower humidity. Will run again later today and on Sunday for 45ish miles for the week. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - you're flying this week, brilliant  :)

Big G - slap a bit of tape on it for a little support.  Hopefully will come to nothing.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Big G: hope it's nothing serious and a bit of rolling helps

Shades: yeah, it's the caravan route. Do you often see snakes? (Dead or alive?)

Rcouture: wore, another great run! 

I'm having a rest day before my long run so trying to rest. It's been difficult to get out as the weather has not been ideal (showers).