Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's what the Mavericks do, each group goes from separate meeting points, often different towns.  Of course everyone has to pre-book to keep numbers to 6.  I suppose Trotters will have to do something similar re pre-booking so details are registered.  Will be the same as the gym, not allowed to turn up if not pre-booked  :/

Hope your balance is OK, ear infection or something similar perhaps?
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Hi all. First run out for me this eve since Thursday with an easy 7 miles  Hadn’t run as came down with a bad stomach from what I think were dodgy prawns. Anyway woke up a bit wobbly today but good enough to get a run out. Think it effectively gives me a bit of a cutback week which I needed so should be able to get back on it from here. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Maybe, Shades.  I feel totally fine in myself, so not sure what it is.  I do have some slight tinnitus so maybe it's related to that.  I do get it very occasionally, but it comes and goes, and generally speaking it doesn't bother me at all.

Rcouture, sorry to hear about the stomach issue, but glad you were able to get a run in.

Committee meeting has happened.  We agreed that our club event couldn't take place.  There was some brief talk about meeting in a small park near the start rather than the pub car park, but then if kids/families are there it wouldn't be good, plus all the social distancing stuff on the narrow route wouldn't be easy, so we're reluctantly cancelling it for now, unless something drastically changes with the guidance in the near future.  Personally, I think it's the right decision.  Unfortunately, the person who Chair was hoping would do the Covid officer role didn't show up today, so without that role we couldn't agree very much, so he's trying to sort that off line, as without that in place we can't train in groups of 12 anyway.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes the niggle has gone,I have changed my main training shoes and just use my older ones occasionally so that may have been part of the issue.
    As for Reykjavik,I'm ok with whatever happens,the race is Saturday so I'm not sure if I'll be bored by Monday,but will see what options come up.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    7-miles this morning.  Ears totally fine as was balance today.  Very odd.  Anyway, it was a nice run out.  There's a hill (yes, I will call it a hill, not just a slope) that I've ran up about 5 times now.  When I started this I was having to walk it each time, whereas now I suppose I'd be disappointed if I would have to walk.  Definite progress there.

Just seen the minutes of the recent 100MC meeting and they voted to now allow events to count, as long as those events follow government guidelines.  So Shades, I think that means Plym Trail will be on.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - sorry to hear you've been poorly.   Good idea to use this as a step back week and recover fully.

Ian - I expect there will be quite a few 100MC at Reykjavik, they're good company if you have to stay an extra day.   You'll probably find them in a bar somewhere.   They are well travelled and can give lots of info on overseas marathons.

Big G - shame about your event.   But if EA release further info this week re events, maybe that will allow you to go ahead.

Ha. ha at your potential Covid officer not attending the meeting.   I expect they read this thread and have gone into hiding, maybe witness protection if they've got any sense.  ;)

7 miles this morning, cool 11 degrees but a bit more humid than yesterday but good running weather.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    xpost Big G - good that the balance thing was OK today.   You'll be running all those hills comfortably soon.

That makes sense re 100MC as there have been a few marathons already following SD guidelines.

Re Plym Trail, 2021 races have been listed now, I'm not going to enter any more Plym Trail right now.   
    Re next month's Plym Trail, I expect Davey will need the landowner's permission plus of course the use of the hall.   I think he might have to alter the course as the lower section might be too narrow for SD, not bothered about runners but it's the general public, families out walking plus a lot of cyclists too.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Just read that Berlin participants deferred 85% of their places to the 2021 edition,that presumably means there will be very few spaces available for new runners.
    Easyjet have started selling seats for the Sunday flight again,don't know why it stopped but looks ok again.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that's good news re your flight home.   I wonder if it's due to other UK marathon runners.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    I've been checking the amounts of seats booked both ways to see how the flights were looking,way back now has 41 booked,it was 32 so no massive jump,but the flight price has gone from 50 to 110,its not a certain system as not everyone pays to book a seat,I haven't on the way there as I'm not bothered but on the way back I want an aisle seat to stretch out.
    Iceland are now letting some countries not take a test,so they must be pretty confident now,out of 36000 travellers only 12 have tested positive for an active infection,72 have tested positive but for a previous infection so not contagious.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I never book a seat and I can't see most of the 100MC doing so either, although there'll be a few going they will all book individually.

Are you going to get a Covid test before you go?   Your employment entitles you to a test even if no symptoms I think.

Every week I log onto my credit card looking for my Lufthansa refund which has been a fruitless task for months but today it's there, refunded in full  :)

Was going to transfer my IOM EasyJet flights to next year IOM but tricky as race could be 8th or it could be 15th, so I think I'll get a refund.   Haven't yet found a suitable marathon to use the EasyJet flights for.   
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Ian: if you are planning a covid test, book it in advance as it's around 15eur cheaper. 

Rest day for me as I really didn't sleep. 

Shades: great news about the refund. That's a true comment about where to find the 100club. A bar is always the best place. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes I am,I am just working the Monday then taking a few days off to relax before I go,so going to get a test on Tuesday.
    I've also had a letter asking me to take a random test next week,so I've agreed to that so should get it through the post in the next day or so.
    I got my first virgin refund through this week,just waiting on the bigger one now.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - we don't pay for Covid tests here, although they're not available to all yet.  I think key workers and anyone with symptoms at the moment are invited to take tests.

Sorry you're not sleeping well.  Is your youngest waking during the night?

Ian - that's sensible re test.
    Great news on the Virgin refund.  
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Shades - There are a couple of local 10k's I could enter if they go ahead.

Today was 6*800m with 400m recoveries. Times were 2:13/17/16/14/16/15/12/10. Total with cool down and warm up was 10 miles.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Shades: for Iceland, you need to have a covid test when you arrive. It's either a covid test or a mandatory 14day quarantine. That's why I mentioned it. 

Yep, youngest does not appreciate sleep or that I need it. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Emmy-I will indeed,see Holland wasnt on the list of no test on arrival,how is covid there as you may get added to the next list?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - sorry, didn't realise you meant in Iceland on arrival.

Hopefully he will start to sleep through soon.

Steve - I do hope so, you've trained hard this year.

No surprise but Hamburg have cancelled

https://germanroadraces.de/?post_eng=major-sporting-events-in-hamburg-postponed-until-2021-35th-haspa-marathon-hamburg-on-april-25-2021
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Shades - That's good news about your gym classes starting.; and on your refund as well.

Cal - Are your Yoga classes starting up again soon?

Emmy - Hope you have a better night tonight.. how old is the youngest?

Big G - I'm not surprised that Covid responsable person didn't turn up. I can't imagine anyone willingly taking on that role.

Ian - An extra day or so would be a good opportunity to visit Iceland!

Steve - I did about 10 miles too today. A tad slower than you though  :)

Did my wind farm run today. At 10k I was a good 2 min faster than last week's effort at the same HR but it got pretty hot after that so I drastically slowed down. Ah well.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I notice on that release that they say no sporting events until 31st October,hope that's just ham9burg state and not all of Germany,which was until 24th as I'm still looking at Magdeburg on the 25th.
    Weird run today,no idea what I fancied doing so just went out but felt really bored,singing and talking to myself says the pace was easy,even yawned at 1 point,but my watch said I was less than 7:40 pace,finished at just under 14 as I couldn't be bothered,maybe I've had enough of long runs for now,will try 1 more next week then its taper anyway.I will add a couple of miles on to some runs so still do over 70 this week.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Had a nice catch up with Shades earlier, for a coffee and a chat :)

Got home, had some lunch and then went out for my regular 6-miler with the steep uphill first mile.  It was a nice run out again.

I forgot to mention earlier that the council have made it easier to socially distance at a couple of key pinch points along the sea fronts of Paignton and Torquay.  They've put large barriers in the road so cars are further away from the kerb meaning that pedestrians can use some of the road and the curb to socially distance.  In Torquay, there was a metal barrier along a narrow curb to separate the traffic, and they've taken that down too.  It's much better along there for everyone now, although probably not for the cars who will get queued up in Torquay as there was originally two lanes controlled by traffic lights there, and now it's one lane.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Shades: interesting news about Hamburg. It's a shame it's been cancelled. Yes, on arrival. Sorry, I wasn't clear. 

I need to start picking up my mileage as I need to average 12k a day to reach 1000miles before the end of August so I need to sleep! 

Mamafox: he's 11months. He'll be a year in August. I had a pretty dreadful birth so it's taken a while to recover and get back on form. Thanks for the good wishes! 

We pulled out our beetroot today... This massive beauty has been now grated into a nice salad. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    mamafox - 2 mins faster than last week is great progress.

Have you entered that trail race in August?

Ian - I really don't know about other German marathons.   Looks like Frankfurt will be cancelled too, best hope is your smaller German marathon, but if that was likely to go ahead I don't understand why it's not full already with runners that were hoping to do Berlin and/or other races.

Not good that you're getting bored and even yawning during training, can you run with the club or other company perhaps?

Big G - was good to see you and have a catch up.   I'll come over your way next time, my car needs the exercise  ;)

Emmy - that's a monster beetroot!    

7 miles today, cool and fresh again.   4 miles flat, 3 miles hilly.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    The full details are here in the selection of PDF docs

https://www.runbritain.com/covid-19-uk-road-race-guidance

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I don't think there is anything in there that is a surprise,and most seems achievable looking at it.It could mean the massive races have issues,but I think events with a couple of thousand can do the staggered starts,it might mean they have to see what councils are like for roads being closed for longer though.
    I think it's because I'm coming towards the taper now,I will have done 1000 miles in the last 4 months and my previous high is about 700 so way more than ever before so maybe getting a bit tired.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I've only glanced through a little of the detail.   Many races won't be able to follow all the rules.   But of course the smaller races could opt to permit with ARC, still have to follow government guidelines on SD etc but not the ridiculous red tape that is in these rules.

Of course at the moment it's the Councils and landowners that will probably stop events going ahead.   Even races of say a couple of thousand will have spectators and that's an issue as they have to be controlled and that just won't be possible.  

That is a big increase in your mileage over the past few months.   A very gradual taper perhaps?
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Yes that's the plan with taper,looking like 72 this week,then 60,52,34 then race week,I don't think I need much more in way of fitness now,just need to get to the start fresh 
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Shades: I agree about the rules for races. They're very restrictive. I agree about no major German marathons. All the ones I was looking at as potential autumn races are now gone. 

10k tempo with the dogs for me. It was a nice 10c so they didn't mind running. Managed the last km at 4,40 which I'm very happy with. 

Off for a day to the monkey zoo. 

Ian: that's a big mileage! How are you feeling with the increased miles?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    How your mileage has increased, 60 and 52 are now tapered weekly mileages  :o