Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Cal - all those long runs got you across Tennessee.  :)

Big G - last couple of miles weren't so much painful as zero energy in my legs.

I take it you won't be using the actual Totnes 10k route  ;)

Good idea to find a course that flows so you can get that crusing feeling again. Even with slight undulations I think that's better than turning around every half mile.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Nice running all. 
    Shades - Glad I’m sure you’ll get your gym groove back soon. 
    Cal - Your write ups always make your runs sound like proper adventures
    11 miles for me this morning. Quite humid so slow. Went up to Fulham then along the northern Thames path, across Chelsea bridge, through battersea park and home. I discovered a cafe near mine has started selling doughnuts to offset loss of business so picked up a couple (well 4!). They’ve gone down very well. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Emmy-Hope you had a nice day.
    Cal-Great running,sounds a very hilly effort.
    Big G-Good running again,reading back you were talking about 80/20,about 4 weeks ago,before I added in the MP stuff,polar said I'd done 94% easy the previous 8 weeks,lazy git.
    Rcouture-Great idea to help a local business by taking doughnuts off them.
    We had a really nice day today with daughter and her boyfriend,I ran across the Wirral to meet them,8 miles,bit of a tough one as the wind was blowing against me and as its straight across i had a headwind for pretty much all of it,then we ran together for 8.5.It's hard to believe but on the Dee side of wirral there are some lovely little villages so we went down there and ran there,ending in a little cafe where we had lunch.We got our temps taken on the way in,the machine must have been dodgy though as I registered 34°,both kids laughed and said I'd be in a coma if that was true,she didn't bother checking the others.
    That brought up 71.1 for the week so another high and my 3rd 70+ in the last 5 weeks.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - thoughtful bit of shopping there for the doughnuts, got to support local businesses  :)

Surely you will hear about Brighton in the next couple of days.  :/

Ian - sounds like you had a lovely day and another good week's training.    Seems those thermometers are not that accurate but at least it measured under not over.

Now into week one of your taper I guess.

Was dark when I got up today and then there was a big crash of thunder followed by torrential rain.   When the rain eased it didn't look like there was going to be a full blown storm, stuck my head out the window to check if raining only to see neighbour's cat being sick on the pavement 🤢   
    Enjoyable easy 7 miles in very pleasant rain.   We're desperate for rain here, grass is all parched and yellow and looks terrible.   Garmin is back working, had to reset the elevation thingy, it showed my run of yesterday at 1600ft when it was no more than 500.   Today's run is showing on Garmin Connect as 981 and last week the same run was 183.   App not working on my phone but I don't really use that for stats.

Pilates this morning, I'm still a bit sore/tired from the gym, especially adductors.   But as first class back I'm expecting nothing too challenging in Pilates. 
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Rcouture: that's a great idea to sell doughnuts... I wish cafes here would learn from that.

Ian: sounds like a lovely day with your daughter. Hope you've warmed up now ;-) 

Shades: hope that your class went well. That storm doesn't sound good. We've got a lot of rain coming over today. 

5miles for me this morning. I'm really struggling with allergies at the moment. My throat feels all itchy and scratchy and I've got a headache. It feels like Ive put my head in a box of pollen. 

Garmin is also back for me! Woohoo!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Garmin back here too.  I think Strava knows any extra files are duplicates as those exact files are already on their system, but I needed to remove the duplicates from Fetch to make sure my mileage is correct.  It took 1-min to sort out so it's a first world problem, I know :)  

Unplanned rest day here, but again I've ran 7-days in a row.  I felt I would be forcing myself out the door this morning so I'll most likely leave it, unless I perk up a bit later for a short run.   It's a cut back week anyway, so no problem.

Regarding donuts etc, there have been some enterprising businesses taking off here, delivering cakes, afternoon teas etc.  Yes, we've had a couple boxes delivered....very nice too :)  Dad and his partner sent a large afternoon tea over to us last weekend.  Regarding coffee places, I have noticed some are much better than others.  There is one near me that basically cleans everything down as soon as someone has left a table, the coffee/cake is good, there's plenty of space, everyone is very friendly and there's a nice view over the harbour.  There's another one about 0.25 miles further away which is in the prime location right in the middle of the sea front, but it seems very lax in comparison, I think mainly because they haven't got enough staff to keep on top of it.  I mean, in normal times there's nothing wrong with the place, but currently I'd go to the first one I mentioned.

• mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Big G - Good grief - that is a monster plate for two people! I could handle the sandwich part but I'm not sure if I could get through all that cake!
    Really great consistant mileage there for the last three months. What a base you've got now!

Cal - Good long hilly run from you.

Ian - Sounds like a fab family run you all had.

RC - You've got me craving doughnuts now!

Emmy - How far away is the german border from you? Sorry to hear about your allergies, not sure what pollen is around now. Here it's just one big dustbowl and they are getting their second/third lot of hay in.

Shades - They hunt deer and boar here. the season actually opens towards the end of August, the hunters the other day were just repairing their shelter.
    That sounds like a tough session at the gym, you were sort of expecting it but still! At least it's done now and you can only start getting better. It sounds a good atmosphere there too in spite of the new regulations. Hope pilates went ok.

It was youngest child's birthday saturday so we all went off canoeing which was good fun. I didn't run but I'm counting it as cross training as my arms are aching now! Absolutely rubbish run yesterday - my own fault as I left it too late to go out and it was horribly hot. I spent most of it walking and cut it short twice to finish clocking up an impressive 3.5km  :/ Today much better and another improvement over my 16k route. Saw 2 deer, one dead on the road and one happily bounding along in front of me.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Mamafox: I do wish I could run where you live. In my head it sounds absolutely beautiful and a pleasure to be in nature. I ran through an industrial estate this morning   :D 

Big G: that's a massive platter. Was that for 2 or 5 of you?! How long did it last?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Emmy/MF, it was afternoon tea for two....but we had bits of it over 2 days.  Very nice it was.
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Emmy - It can get a bit boring sometimes to be honest. I get jealous reading about Cal running through all sorts of interesting city places! Now Garmin is back I’ll try and post a shot of my river run..
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - sorry to hear your allergies are making life tough right now, is that normal for you at this time of year?

Big G - in one of your 80 mile weeks I expect you could scoff that tray of food on your own  ;)

Mamafox - never been canoeing but that sounds like great fun.
    Lovely pic of the river winding it's way through the countryside.
    Be careful when those hunters start shooting.

I couldn't eat all that food either, I don't eat that many carbs now since starting at the gym last September on my fat loss plan.

And I haven't eaten a doughnut since I have up work, 4.5 years.   o:)

Really enjoyed first Pilates class for 5 months.  My previous instructor has resigned, she runs classes elsewhere but I don't want to pay out for more classes.  But instructor we had today is very good, really knows her stuff, different type of class, more fundamental Pilates.  But I told her of my post gym soreness and by the end of the class 90% of my DOMs had gone.

The gym staff at the leisure centre are still on furlough but my instructor is back on Wednesday to do our circuits class, by popular demand apparently although he can't do his other classes as they're boxercise and boxing not yet allowed.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

27 July: A message from Hugh Brasher, Event Director, Virgin Money London Marathon

2020 Virgin Money London Marathon

27/07/2020

The following message was sent to participants in the 2020 Virgin Money London Marathon.

Dear Participant

We hope that all is well with you and your loved ones.

Over the past month, we have been working closely with the Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport, the Mayor’s Office, UK Athletics, TfL, The Royal Parks, the emergency services and our many partners in London. We are extremely grateful to all of the authorities in London for their continued help and support for the London Marathon.

Some of you will have seen that a pathway for the return of mass participation running events was published on Tuesday 21 July. As a result, we expect you will see many more announcements of races going ahead in August, September and beyond.

Those documents were produced by UK Athletics (our sport’s governing body) in consultation with the medical profession, London Marathon Events (that’s us) and other large mass participation event organisers, and are in line with the work we have been doing over many months to show how we can socially distance the Virgin Money London Marathon on Sunday 4 October.

However, there are areas within these documents requiring further consultation with local NHS Trusts, the emergency services and local authorities which means we are still unable to confirm our plans for another 10 days, when that consultation will have been completed.

I realise that this uncertainty is far from ideal and I would like to thank you for your patience and understanding in these very challenging circumstances.

We know how important the Virgin Money London Marathon is to you, to charities and in showing the world the wonderful spirit of London, of Great Britain and of our running community. So please bear with us while we finish the extensive work we have been doing to try to enable us to run together, safely.

I will be in contact with our final decision and the options available to you no later than Friday 7 August.

Best wishes,

Hugh Brasher

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Well another wait of 10 days, ridiculous.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    I was just coming on to share that email too. It's astounding isn't it? What more information could they be looking for? 

Shades: not normally. The doctor's have just offered antihistamines which I can't take as they make me drowsy :( 

Mamafox: that looks like a good run! 
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Antwerp night marathon postponed: 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - shame about the antihistamines not agreeing with you.  Hopefully whatever is setting off your allergies passes soon.

That's bad news about Antwerp.   Belgium have had an increase in cases lately so I suppose this is a response to that situation.

London should issue the same statement.
    The bit about the NHS perhaps.   In the UKA race instructions you have to have your own private ambulances so that the resources of the NHS are not diverted to events.   How exactly could London comply with that ruling.. I expect they want dispensation just for them.

Wonder what Brighton will do, surely they can't leave making a decision any longer.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    It's nuts really, they should just cancel or do an elite-only event and stop messing people around.
    Rcouture/Shades - I've not had a donut in years either - though that's largely due to developing a sensitivity to gluten. I used to eat them all the time when I was young - they were my dad's favourite method of bribery. :D
    Garmin is back for me but the elevation stats are way off the charts. Not sure what happened but I guess they have bigger things to fix right now. It doesn't seem to be working for everyone yet - I know some people who haven't had any luck.
    No running for me today, just rehab and a 4 mile walk. But I've booked the gym for tomorrow. :)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - did you read I had the same error on the elevation.  I've altered the setting but it won't correct retrospectively.  

You need to toggle the Enable/Disable setting.

Good news you've booked the gym, if they only allow 4 in at any one time then it should be really comfortable space wise.

There's nothing like a jam doughnut heated in the microwave on a cold winter's morning.  :)
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    It was set to disabled - I've enabled it (pretty sure my watch doesn't have the barometric thing).
    And yeah, it's a very small gym - just a little add on for the track, really.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Re doughnuts my wife is trying to limit her intake of carbs and the two girls could only manage 1 between them so I’ve had 3 fairly big doughnuts in the last 24 hours 😬 To be fair I can’t seem to keep weight on since starting this MAF stuff. I seem to have lost about a stone in the last 3 months. Guess it’s just the more consistent running. 

Still nothing from Brighton, I suspect they will wait until VLM announcement. The problem is obviously that they are earlier and in only 8 weeks. Shambles really. 

7 miles through the common this eve. Not fast at 10:20min/mi as took it easy after 11 miler yesterday and want to run 5 days in a row for the first time ever which I should manage by Thursday. Was nice that this was reflected in a low, for me, HR of 137. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I reckon I could comfortably smash that tea after a 20 miler.
    Emmy-Hope the allergies clear up,bad news about Antwerp,glad I didn't book flights,I've decided I'd rather pay more close to the time than take a chance.
    Mama-That looks a winding run,you've probably said,before my time,but how did you end up in that part of france? Your originally from Wales aren't you?
    Rcouture-It's always good to take it easy when your extending longer or further than you have before.
    Shades-Yes I suppose taper is starting now,well after tomorrow really as I have a last 20 planned,was hoping for 10@ MP but the wind doesn't look good,will see tomorrow.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I reckon I could also quite happily scoff the lot in one go, no problem.  But OH wanted to savour it....

RCouture, you're doing great with your mileage and consistency.  Good stuff.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Women,pffft  ;)
    I've officially deferred from TBL,so got a credit,I will actually use it at some point,just decide when.
    Got our race instructions for the 10 mile,starting in waves of 6,changed the route a bit,means a bit more along the main road,but we avoid the nature park which I don't like anyway.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - one of the major benefits of running is the eating.   :)   All that training has ramped up your metabolism so make the most of it and enjoy your food.

It's not that long ago that 10:20 pace would have been one of your faster runs at MAF HR.

Can Brighton really wait any longer, if they wait for London's next announcement that's only 6 weeks before the race.   :/

Ian - I'm sure you'll enjoy a TBL marathon at a later date, just isn't the right time for you right now.

At least the wave starts in your 10 miler means there won't be those awful few moments at the start of a race when it's congested and avoiding bumping/tripping wastes mental as well as physical energy.   You can get straight into your race.

8 miles today, legs almost back to normal, not aching now just a little tired, but the bounce is coming back.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Morning all, allergies are still bad and haven't heard anything from the doctor's yet :( decided to have a rest day in case it's something more virus-y. 

Rcouture: 3 doughnuts isn't bad going! My downfall is bread. I love it... Or rather toast. Im a sucker for toast. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - the ultra runner Carla Molinaro that's just broken the LEJOG record  finishing this morning is in your club, isn't she?

Fantastic running.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Shades, she was with my club until she moved back to South Africa (but we still consider her ours, heh). Fantastic effort from her - she was dealing with a painful tendon injury for the last few days so that's some grit there.
    Well done on your 8.
    Rcouture, my record is a bag of 10 jam donuts in one sitting. I still feel ashamed thinking about it. :D
    Sorry you're still feeling rough, Emmy - not fun.
    Ian, exciting! I'm a little envious, although I'm not in race shape at the moment.

After a rest yesterday (rehab and a 4 mile walk) I opted to have a crack at a virtual 10K that has been put on for a bit of fun by one of the Facebook groups I'm in. I wasn't going to do 10K pace, obviously, but I thought I might try to do it as a tempo, shooting for MP (9mm) for 5 of the 6 miles.
    Did my warm up mile (10:13, which is quick for a first mile for me, especially at 5:30am after a crap night's sleep) then started pushing, and hit 8:48 on the next two (confession: I was looking for segment PBs here, and I got them). The third fast mile was even quicker at 8:22 which is close to my actual 10K pace, but I eased back a bit for the penultimate mile as it was uphill. Very gentle at first, but up to around 4% near the top which, granted, is nothing compared to the hills I ran on Sunday but is still enough to make a different to my pace at that speed. So 9:15 for that mile. Pushed on to do 8:50 for the the final mile and then kept it going for the last fraction. Ended up running 56:13 which I'm happy with (especially as the first mile was much slower) and, bonus, no groin warnings when I pushed the pace.
    Groin is not completely better as it gave me a good twinge yesterday when I was doing one of my rehab exercises, so I had to mash a ball into it until it felt better. But the progress is encouraging. I think I'll be able to get back to my club's weekly 5Ks soon. Maybe next week, even.
    I did a mile walk to cool-down and spotted a couple of interesting little ducks on the Tooting pond. Not seen them before but they had a distinctive white eye stripe. I thought they might be female mandarins so I looked it up on the RSPB page and found myself to be correct.
    I am off to the gym in a bit...first time since lockdown.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Cal - I just heard her being interviewed on the radio so looked her up and saw the a pic of her in a Clapham Chasers vest.   Quite right to consider her a club member even if she's moved to SA.   

10 doughnuts, wow that's some record  :open_mouth:

That's a great run from you today, enjoy the gym.

We have a couple of mandarin ducks at the lake I sometimes run round.   Apparently they had ducklings this year but I didn't see them when I went out to have a look.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - oh dear, sorry to hear that, must be quite miserable for you.  Hope the docs can sort you out.

I love toast too, I can eat it anytime and when I'm away from home it's what I miss most.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

I don't want to see a ghost
    It's the sight that I fear most
    I'd rather have a piece of toast
    Watch the evening news  :D