Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - you're definitely our snake expert on here.   

It's much nearer Big G's area than mine 🐍
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades/Cal, fortunately I didn't come across that snake.

X-post, Robert.  Good to hear you're getting out there and fingers crossed the mojo will return properly soon.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I've never owned a snake but I like them. I think my interest stems from the fact that my ex, who was a gothy rocker Alice Cooper looking guy - the kind who looks like he should have a pet snake - was deathly afraid of them. I remember taking him to London Zoo on snake feeding day - he was both appalled and fascinated.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Shades: sounds like you're back in the gym at full swing! 

Robert: I've heard a few people have similar symptoms at the moment. It's very weird. 

Big G: what a fantastic route. It looks beautiful! 

Cal: a friend of ours has a snake and feeding time is always a treat for the kids to watch. They love it. 

5miles this morning. I did a dog walk first as Noah was awake since 5 so I managed to run alone in the forest. Was really lovely. Headed to a zoo near my work so I could spend time there whilst they sorted out my pc. Still not fully better but am definitely better than yesterday. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Nice long run,an extra breakfast is always a bonus.
    Just over 10 after work today,felt decent again so just an off day yesterday.
    Daughter has a place off the waiting list for the 10 mile,they have added another 40 already so must be pretty confident it is going ahead,looks like we finally have a real race again.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Big G - That route looked really stunning. I’ve been meaning to drive out of London on a weekend and run some trails but haven’t found the time. There are some in the Surrey hills I’d like to try. I find the miles just fly by in those settings for me. Interesting that you managed to pretty much stay under MAF as well. 

7 miles last night for me on usual route at 10min/mi. Was pretty hot at 22 degrees so happy with that. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I guess if you did see that snake during your run you'd run a PB and verify your MHR at the same time.  ;)

Cal - that must be one of the most original, but perhaps not that romantic a date to take him to the snake feeding.

Emmy - yes good to be back at gym etc.   I can get back onto my master plan which is to get my body fat down to 20%.   Thankfully for now they can't or aren't using the body analyser so I can get a few weeks work done before seeing what damage the lack of strength work during the lockdown did.

Ian - that's great news your daughter has a place now too.  Very promising for other races if they see that it can be done.

8 miles today, 4 flattish and 4 hilly, 590ft in all.   I actually wanted a flatter route today as I suspected my calves might be sore and they are.   My favourite flat route is closed as they are repairing a path, a little sinkhole appeared in the tarmac.   We did a lot of step ups in circuits yesterday and although it was a low step for some reason it does give me sore calves the next day, I used to think it was an injury but it's not.   I also did a set of reps on the leg press machine for my calves yesterday.  Was OK running on the flat, a little sore on the uphills and a bit more on the downhills but manageable.   Lovely fresh morning.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Rcouture: if you're looking at Surrey, I can recommend the devil's punchbowl and boxhill. Really beautiful and quite varied terrain. The LDWA used to organise a race around the devil's punchbowl in February but it's all very well marked.

5miles this morning with the dogs. Allergies seem to be going down slightly so am feeling much better! 

Ian: great news about your daughter
    Getting a place. I really hope the race happens for you. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    The downhills always trash my calves more than the uphills, Shades. Good run regardless - it's going to be a lot warmer for the next few days, alas.

Emmy - varied terrain...hmm. Stonking great hills, you mean! :D
    Glad your allergies are abating.

Another event for the Veteran Runners UK "Olympics" today - I skipped yesterday's 3000m but today was a 5 miler so decided to give it a shot. It's not a distance I've done much, just the two Wimbledon Trail Series races on very undulating off-road terrain. Obviously I wasn't going to be able to go flat out just yet with my niggles, the shingles and the fact I'd done a hilly 11 miles yesterday, but legs didn't feel bad (I guess the Epsom Salt bath helped). I did wake up with an achey back, though - sore QL, mostly. Not sure if it's a side effect of shingles, sleeping awkwardly or jarring from downhill running yesterday, but I did my best to roll it out. Can't roll much right now due to the shingles patch (which was bigger and itchier yesterday...hopefully it has peaked now and will start to heal up).

Anyway, out at sunrise. I decided to do a similar course to the 10K on Tuesday but with a different finish so I didn't have to do the last mile uphill and into the sun. First mile was easier, but still a relatively quick sub-10:00, and then I turned the taps on. Subsequent miles were 8:45, 8:41, 8:30 (I was segment hunting here) and 8:47. I did make the mistake of going into a little rec during the last mile - I thought I could cut through but I couldn't as the side gate was locked, so I ran back up, thought I could get back to the gate I came in via the playground but also found that only had one entrace, so ended up doing the last .2 or so on lumpy grass. Eh, never mind. I was happy to run a sub-45 - I guess I could get close to 40 without the warm-up mile and if I was at my best, but this was just for a bit of fun.
    I walked a bit to catch my breath and then jogged the three miles back home at recovery pace for a total of 8.
    Thrilled to discover I'd earned a Strava crown on the obscure Groton loop (I little road loop I found by accident one day when I took a wrong turning - got home and found I'd got a Strava top 10 trophy even though I'd been going very slowly. So I've gone back a few times to improve my time there and I equalled the course record today, ha!)
    Tomorrow's VRUK race is a 5K walk so that'll fit in well with my rest day and gym plans.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Cal: that too! Im not used to hills anymore... A motorway bridge is my max! 
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    From Brighton:
    Following the decision in March 2020 to postpone Brighton Marathon Weekend 2020, we have collaborated with major UK mass participation event organisers, our local authority, our safety advisors and our medical team to fully understand how our event could take place while meeting COVID-19 restrictions and the recently updated government guidance for events. 

Despite our best efforts to find a viable way forwards, we have together concluded that sadly, it is not feasible to stage our event as we had hoped and planned on September 18th-20th 2020

Yet we are delighted to confirm that we are planning to stage the Brighton Marathon Weekend in a unique and revised format this autumn, on the roads in Brighton & Hove. 

While we are unable to shut down parts of our city to make way for our 26.2-mile course under current guidelines, we are working towards creating a socially distanced, COVID-19 compliant event, which you will be invited to be a part of. 

Reasons for not holding the event as planned

We know that you have looked forward to taking part in the Brighton Marathon Weekend this September and have been striving hard to achieve your training and fundraising goals. The team behind the Brighton Marathon Weekend are all runners and locals who are passionate about the event, our city, our community and the charities involved, and understand how disappointing and frustrating this is. We have appreciated your patience while we have tried to find a way forward.

Not hosting the Brighton Marathon Weekend this September is not a decision that we have taken lightly.

The key influencing factors are:
    1. Brighton Marathon is always incredibly well supported, creating sizeable crowds who watch our runners pass through Brighton's city centre, the large residential area in Hove and past all of our city's major tourist attractions. We believe that social distancing city-wide will be extremely difficult for us to implement and manage for such a large crowd.

1. Brighton & Hove is a relatively small city in comparison to the size of our marathon, with onemain hospital, which is the A&E for a large proportion of the Sussex area. The effect that our marathon runners and crowds could have on our local NHS services will potentially be too great during these difficult times. In addition, our Medical Team volunteers are all local NHS workers who are already incredibly stretched because of their COVID-19 work.

Reasons to stage Brighton Marathon Weekend 
    in a revised format

Supporting local economy and charities

We are mindful that the impact of not holding the Brighton Marathon Weekend in its usual format, extends out to our local economy and our charity partners, as well as our participants. We estimate that the local hospitality economy will lose upwards of £12 million in revenue, with local charities a significant loss of £500k+. Notwithstanding the already substantial losses to the charity sector, many of whom are our valued partners.

Staging an event this Autumn will give us and you, the opportunity to support them.

What the Brighton Marathon Weekend Community said

We recently asked you to share your feelings regarding mass participation events during the pandemic.

An overwhelming number of you said that you can’t wait for events to take place again and will take part before a vaccine is available as long as you deem them safe / COVID-19 compliant.

While a majority also felt that additional hygiene and safety measures at an event would not significantly affect your enjoyment of the event.

This feedback gives us great confidence and reassurance in the planning of a revised event for you this autumn, and we are working hard to achieve one that lives up to the high standards we uphold, while also being as safe as possible for you and our city.

What happens next?

We look forward to updating you by mid-August 2020, where further information will be released regarding the revised event, which will we invite you to be a part of. 

Rest assured, we are ensuring that a place in the 2021 Brighton Marathon Weekend is guaranteed for all 2020 charity registrants. 

Please contact your charity with any questions about your place.

We thank you again for your patience and understanding at this time.

With thanks,

Tom Naylor
    Event Director
    Brighton Marathon Weekend
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture- I can't see anything in there about a refund or free entry in to 2021,it just says you are guaranteed a place but doesn't say whether that will be free or not,unless I've missed it?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - you're getting very good at doing these short fast runs on your own.   Should really pay off once you're lined up in a race again.

Rcouture - are you sure they're not a political party....I've read that twice and it's said nothing of any use to you.

However I fear that a unique and revised format means it won't be a marathon at all.

Can you defer to 2022, I know you've already entered 2021 event?  
    As we suspected with Brighton (and London) the main obstacle to hosting the event would be spectators on the route.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Ian - It’s unclear and I suppose that will come with the August update. From my perspective I already bought a 2021 place as got it on an early bird deal for 45 pounds when it was clear this year had a low likelihood of happening. My 2020 place was a charity place which I did not pay for. I will see about raising money for the charity for next year anyway so will contact them about that and hopefully it’s a smooth transition. I have no interest in running whatever they come up with for this year. 
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Shades - Ha! It does sound like one of the government’s COVID updates doesn’t it. What do you mean deferring to 2022? In case 2021 is canned/socially distanced? At that stage I might just give up on marathons and keep running to get my MAF pace down forever 😀. Seriously though that might be a good idea just in case. I could always run something else next year and then Brighton in 2022. 
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Reading that update, reminded me of Vicky Pollard (Yes but no but yes). I read that there definitely won't be a physical race this year. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    They'll probably go the virtual route. Can't see it working otherwise.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - wasn't there something about deferring to 2022 if you'd entered 2021 and then 2020 was cancelled...I might be getting confused with another event  ;)   Of course they're not saying it's cancelled so copping out again.      Reading that Brighton announcement has fried my brain. 😖

Maybe you should contact the charity and assuming you don't want to take part in the 2020 unique and revised  event hand back your place.   You can then of course raise funds for that or another charity next year using your own place.

Don't worry if you stick around this thread we'll ensure you do get to run a marathon ASAP 
    ;) 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - it does say on the roads of Brighton and Hove so that won't be virtual.   And virtual wouldn't be unique and revised  .   So might be a 5k, on a route fenced off from the public and starting times over the 2 or 3 days.   Whatever it will be it will be a rip off.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Rcouture, confusing news from Brighton!  Regarding trails, we are lucky here.  There are loads of trails and a lot of the route yesterday I'd never done before.  We've got the South West Coach path which is something like 630 miles of trails from Minehead to Poole, and also Dartmoor and other smaller marked trails.  Last year I had a couple of days out where I'd get the bus/train to a location, run/walk about 20 miles in one direction on the SWCP to where I could get public transport, and then travel home.  It's funny as I do enjoy pottering about on the trails, but I'm really, really poor at racing on them.  People stream past me in races when there's a slight downhill as I think I'm too cautious/wary about falling over or turning an ankle.  It's a real skill, one which I haven't got!  But just going at a steady pace and walking when I have to I do enjoy.  I'm planning a 20-mile circular route soon, which will mean driving about 3 miles away and starting from there, mainly so I don't have to use public transport.  I have a very long term thought of doing all 630 miles of the SWCP at some point; I have a map and I've coloured in the sections that I have done, which probably only amounts to around 120-ish miles.  If I do ever manage it, it'll take years to do, but the record is about 10.5 days where someone (Damian Hall) did the whole lot on consecutive days.

Legs feel pretty good today after yesterday's longer run, so I went and did 7.5-miles on my hilly loop.  Everything clicked today so it was a great run out - really enjoyed it.

It's my club's Virtual 10k this weekend and the thought is to "race" that tomorrow evening.  10 laps of an industrial estate.....whoo hoo!  If I can get near to 41:00 I'll be delighted, but that will be very tough for me I think.  My PB from Jan 2017 is 42:38 (I really don't race many 10ks at all, so I think this is currently my "poorest" PB) so if I can get close to that I'll be pleased as it'll mean I should better it in a proper race.  Having said that, my 20-mile PB of 2:35 is also quite poor and should be beatable as I went through 20-miles at San Sebastian Marathon in 2:31, but I have only raced one 20-miler :)  
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Big G - My weakest PB is my 10 miler. I've ran 3 of them, but have been faster over that distance in half marathons a few times!! Nice 16 miler, great photos.
    Shades - Nice "flatter" run there.

Anyway, 8 miles with 3 at MP (again probably Tinman tempo pace and not MP!!), 6:39/42/35. Next week I'll have to see if I can hit those in 6:45-6:50 pace instead!! 
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    I’ve got this from the charity I was running with. In their view, it IS cancelled 😀:

I hope that you and your loved ones are safe and well.

This morning, the organisers of Brighton Marathon have announced that this year’s event has now been cancelled and will not go ahead as planned in September.  I am so sorry to have to let you know this news that as I know how disappointing this must be. You can read the full statement from the event organisers here

As the event is delivered by a third party, and not by Breast Cancer Now, this decision was completely out of our hands. We understand that Grounded Events took a good deal of time to come to this conclusion and this decision was not made lightly.  

Your Place

As a charity place runner, we would love to offer you the opportunity to transfer your place onto the 2021 event. The date of next year’s race is 18 April 2021. If you would like to do transfer your place to next year’s race, please let us know by emailing sports@breastcancernow.org

Alternatively, if you’d prefer to receive a refund for your Brighton Marathon registration fee, please let us know and we will process this for you.

Please let us know your preferred option and if you have any questions at all. We are so grateful for your support, thank you for your understanding and patience.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    That's good of your charity, Rcouture.  Gives you options at least.

I heard back from Yeovil about their 5k and unfortunately it's not on.  From the sounds of it it's mainly because of the facilities not being available.  I have emailed Tavistock but no reply as yet.  I think the Exeter one may be on as they've said they will be putting on events but haven't specified which ones.  The only issue with that one for a quick time is two bottlenecks/hairpin turns, so I don't love that course.  But if it's on, I may do it.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steve-That's some pace you are running those miles at.
    Big G-Most of my race times are pretty well aligned now,just the full isnt quite there,but then if I race my 10m well then the 10k and half could look out.
    Rcouture- I think that's good of the charity offering a refund,haven't heard of many doing that.
    Usual loop after work,started to get really warm at the end,finishing a bit earlier tomorrow so may get a slightly longer one in to finish the month with.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Shades - 20 laps of the power station. :D
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - are you planning to do any marathons or ultras on the SWCP?

Good luck with your 10k time trial tonight, 10 laps  :'(  I think I'd rather run out and back down the Stover Way or something, or even the Dornafield 10k route than 10 laps of the industrial estate.

Shame about Yeovil races.

All my race times are out of sync except for 10k, just checked my race history
    4 mile - one minute faster in a 10k
    5 mile - one minute faster in a 10k
    10 mile - 6 minutes faster in a marathon
    Half - 6 minutes faster in a marathon
    20 mile - 20 minutes faster in a marathon - and I've raced a few, about 8 I think

Steve - you're running well, you could really do with a race to do too.

Rcouture - that's a lovely email from the charity.   And a lot clearer than anything written by the Brighton mob.

Ian - hope that lockdown doesn't have any implications for your race next weekend.  ;)

I think these regional lockdowns might make councils/police nervous about granting permission for races to go ahead, so not good news for racing getting back to 'normal'.

8 miles today, lovely fresh morning.   Calves are a lot better, only the right one is still tender to touch and stretch but they don't affect my running.

Back to the gym today  :)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal Jones said:
    Ha, ha, perhaps it will be an egg and spoon race too. :)
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Cal Jones said:
    Some RDs already do that and charge £40 for the pleasure  :D 

Rest day this morning ahead of my long run tomorrow so a quick walk with the dogs before it gets too hot. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - £40 wouldn't be enough to keep the Brighton lot happy, they'll charge a lot more.    :#

We're forecast a warm day here too today, hope it cools for your long run tomorrow.

I've stopped doing long runs again as now I'm back to getting my legs used to the gym again, so will still do 50 miles a week, but nothing long.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, for a fast time I prefer pancake flat, hence considering those laps of "Brunel Athletic Arena".  I know there's been some chat about undulating routes, but my best times have always been on the really flat courses as I find it much easier to get into a rhythm.

I did go out for a run this morning (7-miles) just in case the 10k effort doesn't happen tonight.  It's due to be quite warm through the day so I'll just see how it goes, but tomorrow may be the better day.  Having said that, I do have a longer run planned for Sunday all being well, so from that point of view today for the 10k is better.