Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - it's not the flat, it's the mental aspect of 10 laps.   In hindsight it might have been better this morning it was cool and fresh for my run.   Tomorrow morning looks OK temperature wise but humidity will be higher.    I think you'll still do a very good PB time whatever the conditions.  :)
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Shades - Nice 8 miles. Is there a reason you don’t bother with long runs when not training for a race? I’ve assumed I should just keep doing them for the adaptation benefits. Not 20 milers but maybe up to 15-16?

7 miles yesterday eve in 28 degree heat. Was going to skip it but wanted to do my 5 days in a row. Was fine in the end at 10:20 min/mi. I don’t actually mind running in the heat at all but they’ve been painfully slow under MAF in the past so good that this run was manageable. Rest day today then 7 miles tomorrow morning and long run Sunday. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Good luck if you decide to do the 10k.
    Shades-No it isn't affecting my race,it says Preston in the title but it's actually quite a bit away so even if Preston was to be locked down it might be ok,starting to really look forward to it now.
    Interestingly they arent starting similar people at the same time as they say that will lead to more bunching,so 1hr runners could be pretty close to each other for the whole hour so are starting people in random groups,they are mainly wide roads so shouldn't really cause an issue and actually makes sense.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steve-Not sure if it's too far to travel but there is a spare place in the 10 mile next sunday if you want it?
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, funnily you should say that as when I thought I may have to organise the time trial for my club, I was thinking about putting people of varying abilities in each group so runners would spread out from the start.  The only thing is, part of the benefit of being in a race (i.e, find a group to help push you on) will be lost.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - I'm not doing long runs as I'm now back at the gym. I'm back on my mission to reduce my body fat down to 20%.   To do this I have to work as hard as I can in the gym particularly on glutes and legs and that just doesn't leave me enough energy in my legs to do long runs.

Yes, for you doing 15/16 miles as a long run will be beneficial to you in your long marathon build up.

I've done a lot of marathons/ultras in the past and shouldn't need a long period of long runs as race preparation as long as I have a decent period of base training completed.

You're certainly running a lot better in the heat, the body does acclimatise.

Ian - phew, that's OK then.   I just heard on the news Preston was OK.

That makes sense about the starting procedure.   So you might end up doing a lot of overtaking but with wide roads that might actually be quite motivational having runners in front as a target to catch.

Big G - that's a good thing IMHO.   Runners should know/learn how to pace themselves not use a group or worse still pacers.   I know pacers are popular but certainly shouldn't be used for any further than the first half of a race.  But we won't be seeing pacers for a while thankfully.

Had a most enjoyable session at the gym.  Getting used to being back and able to up the weights for some exercises.   Couldn't finish the final set on one of the adductor machines, my adductors screamed Stop, so I stopped.  Gym has got rid of my calf pain too.  Was scorching on the walk down there, thankfully clouded over for the walk home.   Popped into Asda, they've now removed the arrows for the one way system so able to get in and out quickly. 

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Gym for me too (after a fast 5K walk this morning, first thing) - I made sure I booked the studio with the free weights this time. Hit all the body parts but didn't do anything too heavy or hard - I don't want to be too sore to run tomorrow.
    I'm glad your calves are better, Shades. My groin's been behaving, despite a couple of fast runs this week, so it's looking hopeful. Shingles is not a bother now, the itchy stage seems to be over, although one of my lymph nodes is still very swollen (this is normal with shingles). It'll take a while to go down, I expect. Still, better than last year when they got so swollen my whole hip and groin hurt.

Ian, that's an interesting tactic, with the mixed abilities together. Let's hope no one gets in each other's way.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-I like the idea of it,its nice and wide so shouldn't be getting in each others way,the only tight park was a nature park but they have took that out now,so should be a bit faster course as that was a little uneven for my liking.
    10 miles today brings up 272 for the month,that's 248,250,270,272 when my previous high was 245,and a nearly 50% increase of my previous 4 monthly best.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - good to hear the gym went well.
    I was talking to a girl at my gym and we agreed that we actually prefer the gym when it's restricted numbers.  Very pleasant atmosphere and no waiting to use equipment.

At least you aren't feeling unwell or in pain from the shingles this time.

I see with the freezing of the planned easing of restrictions that were due to come into effect tomorrow that they won't allow the audiences at Goodwood and the snooker.   Was going to be 4,000 at Goodwood.  Wonder if this will affect London or Brighton's plans as to how they were planning their events.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Xpost Ian - that's some great training you've done over lockdown.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Another bonus to extra mileage the last 6 weeks I've dropped another 6lbs,I was just over 13 before Berlin,then went to 12'7 when i initially started this cycle and hovered there when I last weighed myself 6 weeks ago and now I'm 12'1,that is officially 25% of my old body weight gone.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Bloody hell Ian. That's an amazing weight loss.  I don't think you'd want to lose any more as you're tall.  I expect your metabolism is on fire with that mileage.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-It crazy as I haven't  changed my diet at all,in fact just before I weighed myself I was eating a blue ribband :-)
    I still have a bit of a belly but I might have to start eating a little more as I am more than happy where I am.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I've noticed before that when I'd got my mileage up to a certain level my metabolism went into overdrive.   Yours has obviously done that too, so yes, eat more as you don't want to lose any more before your races in August.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    You can tell people are ready to run again,there is a race series in Lancashire called podium 5k,they have their first event next Saturday evening,7 men have entered with a PB of 14:02 or better and 7 women with a PB of 16mins or better,that is some serious times.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, very similar mileage to me, and weight loss too.  I'm 12st1 as well, and when I started MAF 3 months ago I was 12st10.  Same with me that I don't ever feel hungry really, and I'm eating a lot of food!  I have changed my breakfast and I eat a lot less bread, but that's about it.

Anyway, I went out and did the Virtual 10k this evening.  I wasn't really feeling it when I got out the car, and the warmup didn't improve things particularly.  You may remember that I was really up for the 5k when I did that one.  Still, I had a plan to try and maintain 6:30s, which I knew would be difficult, but that was the plan.

It was quite warm although there was a breeze and I set the watch up so that it would automatically stop after 10k and I set off on the 10 and a bit laps.  I got straight into the sub-6:30s and it felt quite tough at the start, although I did manage to maintain the pace.  I kept at it and went though 5k in 20:07, which is actually my 3rd fastest 5k, but this is what I had set out to do, so I was on track although another 5k at that pace didn't seem likely at that point.  It felt pretty tough, but soon I had only 3 laps, then 2 laps and then it was just 1 lap to go.....and I finished in a massive PB of 40:21 (so 20:14 for the 2nd half - my 4th fastest 5k)!!!  Absolutely delighted with that for a solo time trial as it's over 2 mins off my PB.  I can't say it was easy as I was hanging on at the end but I wonder if I'd get nearer 40-mins in a race?  Not sure about that, as it felt pretty tough.

I know this is not an "official" PB but I think the distance is as close as I can get.  I know the lap has been measured with a measuring wheel and it's just under 1k, so 10 and a bit laps is about right.  But of course I know I need a proper race to make it official :)  1K splits are below.  I think from that I'm most definitely in 5K PB shape though.

So that's a good way to finish the month off, and it's 282 miles for my highest ever month.  Whatever I'm doing with my HR training it seems to be working so I'm obviously going to keep it going.

As an aside, I went through 30-mins in 4.62-miles, which is a bit longer than when I did that LT test the other day, although I can't really believe I managed to keep going for another 1.5 miles at that pace.  I think that's probably partly the nature of the course as this one has very smooth corners.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-That is a brilliant effort and time.I think a race will be worth a minute,never mind 21secs,if I was you I'd be pretty confident of a sub 40.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Fantastic, Big G! Well done.
    Ian, that's huge, I didn't realise you'd lost so much weight. Wow.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Big G - 1 to 2 mins in a race. Today was a training run albeit balls out. You are learning that you can push yourself hard. Extrapolate that approx 39min upwards.....
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Big G - Wow you’ve smashed that, well done. All that training working wonders for you. 
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    BigG: that's a great time for 10k, especially in these weather conditions. 

I've moved my long run to tomorrow and am just going out for a bimble before it gets too hot. My dog was at the vets yesterday for a teeth check up and had some teeth out so I've been taking care of him. He's home and this morning is doing a lot better. 

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - Whoopee that is fabulous running 😃  2 minutes off your PB time is a lot for a 10k, in a race you could do sub 40, even sub 39. 

I think you should just carry on training more or less as you are doing, switching to traditional speedwork will risk injury.   This really works for you.    I think the nature of the course last night, laps instead of out and back for half mile reps, works better and why your LT run was a bit slower.

What was your average HR?

I know it's risky to use a 10k time in a race calculator, but I think that gives you GFA time for London marathon.  😃

Ian - they are some seriously fast runners, must be so race hungry too.   Great that there's a league starting up again.

Emmy - lovely photo, but you can see in his eyes that he's a little sad.   Hope he gets to enjoy his food again soon.

8 miles this morning.   Was expecting my adductors to be sore again as they screamed at me yesterday in the gym but they were fine, legs are a little tired from the gym but didn't stop me having a good run.    A couple of miles from home there was a guy walking about a little ahead of me and suddenly a seagull swooped down on him and only missed his head by an inch or so.   The guy didn't even flinch, was oblivious to the attack.    When I passed him he was wearing earphones and had whatever he was listening to really loud, so headphone do have their uses after all.  ;)  The seagull ignored me, thankfully.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Shades: that's unusual. Did he have food in his hand? We've been attacked by blackbirds here when we walk near their nest. That's painful! 

Could I get your advice?I have Reykjavik (hopefully) on August 22 so was planning on the following long runs: 
    02/08: 25k going to 27k if I feel ok
    08/08: 29k going to 32k if I feel ok
    15/08: 16k

Does that look alright? Or not enough taper? I did 32k last weekend so normally it'd be a cutback week. 

12k this morning before it got insanely hot. Managed a speedy finish as I was running late. Managed to upset a man who I caught and overlook. He didn't appreciate being beaten by me but couldn't keep up. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - no, he didn't have food.   The seagulls attack as they're protecting their young.   At this time of year several folk, especially bald men end up at A & E with cuts to their heads from the herring gulls.   I've been attacked/chased several times this year and once it crapped on me at the time  :#  I always wear a baseball cap so am not concerned about being wounded,  but they swoop close enough for their wing to brush my arm or shoulder and they squawk when they are at their closest to you, it's not pleasant.    It's coming to the end of the time of year that they'll attack as the chicks are big now.   I've been able to run twice this week past the blighters that attacked me and they have left me alone.    Wouldn't mind but I don't even live by the sea, it's miles away.

Re your training, I know it's been a while since you ran a marathon but you've run plenty in your time.   However, now you've got two young children to care for life must be more tiring than it used to be so for that reason you may want an easier taper regarding the long runs.    Certainly if it's hot on 8th August I would cut the distance right back.   A run in the heat is far more tiring, at the time, and a longer recovery is required too.

All being well it should be cooler in Reykjavik and that will be a big advantage to you on race day.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Emmy-Have you heard there have been a couple of clusters in Iceland so they have put some restrictions back in place from yesterday :-( hopefully get lifted again before we go.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Ian5: yep, I was just talking to another friend who's going and she shared the article with me. Apparently it'll be reviewed 14. August but who knows if that'll be too late in  the scheme of things. The marathon said 2 weeks ago that they still had room to move the waves out so hopefully that'll help. 

Shades: yeah, that sounds about right. We have similar with the blackbirds and have had a few nips/scratches on the arm from them. It doesn't help that Boyska killed one a year ago so whenever we approach that area they start going mad and ready to attack. 

Thanks for the advice. That sounds realistic. Yes, definitely more tired/tiring at the moment. I feel training has been going well and I've built up a strong base but the lack of several 18/20milers does give me a cause for concern. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone.  I'm really pleased.

Shades, yeah, it does indicate a GFA time is at least in theory possible.  Also a sub-1:30 half (just!), which is something for years I felt was out of reach.  I know I've got to translate it at a race, but it's good to see that it's at least a possibility according to McMillan anyway.

My average for the whole run was 174 (89%) and it peaked at 184 (94%)

TR, thanks.  Over the years I've pushed myself hard at certain key races and also sessions with my club but I think the difference here is a couple of things but probably mainly I've done the most consistent block of training I've ever managed over the last 3 months, and also I've dropped some weight.  Basically, I think I'm fitter now than I've been since my late teens/early 20s and I think that is translating into these couple of efforts I've done recently.  I just wish there were some races to do!

Ian/Emmy, fingers crossed for Iceland!

OH is locuming (is that a word?) at a vet practice in Newton Abbot today so I went with her and she dropped me off at a suitable point, for me to run the 5.5 miles back.  Legs felt a bit tired early on but I just took it steady and had a nice run out mainly on trails and back lanes.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Emmy-I just emailed them asking the question.
    Big G-I have always thought of us as a similar speed of runner,same build frame to a degree,I know I've gone ahead of you the last couple of years,but that's because of he amount of marathons you do,I think this training will really improve you,and definitely 1:30 is in you,if not 1:25 like myself.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Ian5: they seem to be pretty responsive on the Facebook page? Maybe try there if they dont reply
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - I got hit in the chest earlier this year by two blackbirds fighting in flight and they didn't see me, it was like a hard playful punch in the chest, scared the life out of me as so sudden.    They are aggressive and very territorial although I'd never heard of them pecking a human.   Perhaps the Dutch ones are a bit tougher  ;)

Emmy/Ian - Iceland have been fairly effective in their control of Covid 19, so hopefully will squash any increase in cases quickly.   The marathon must be an important tourist attraction so they'll do whatever possible.

Big G - 89% is good for a 10k, warmish/humid conditions too.   I forgot to say your time is even more impressive as you'd already run 7 miles in the morning, so not 'race fresh' when you ran last night.

The calculator I used had a potential half of 1:28:59  ;)    5k of 19:23