Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Thanks all,really feel like a kick in the guts as I expected it to go ahead,they have had 2 clusters,I think about 10 infections in total,so hardly anything,but they don't want to affect schools opening or the start of winter sports training.
    Only consolation is no financial loss,offered a refund,flights are changeable and hotel was cancellable.
  • Seems i may have a even closer marathon (Or ultra yes i am actually considering that one) than Windermere now ;)
    On other news i managed almost 80 miles running in July and 70 miles walking.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith - you can't not do that event as it's on your doorstep.  

Ian - got to hope now that Boston will go ahead.  They've got approval from RunBritain but tomorrow is the crucial meeting with the local authority. So fingers crossed.

Emmy - are you still planning to go to Iceland for your holiday?

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Back to your question about Sunday, that would give me around 62mins,still challenging but possible given everything going right.
    Looking around,Helsinki has a marathon on the 22nd, and say they are going ahead.Have emailed asking what they think,Finnish travel restrictions look confusing though,they refer to border traffic from countries rather than citizens,reading it I think we are ok to travel if we enter from a green country but not if travelling from here.
    Or I may end up doing Fleetwood half the day after 
  • Shades - Er not only that if i do the marathon which link in article leads to marathon starting at 10am on a Saturday. St Bees station is 3 miles away mostly down hill and iirc you can get southbound trains on saturdays so i can get train there and run home essentially ;)
    I have been for a quickish run since last post in the rain so was a bit faster than recent. Oddly comfortable faster doing 2 9:15 miles apparently so seems things are coming along nicely. My intent was to up the weekly mileage a step for a few weeks and also am pondering between the odd longer long run or doing another 5k. Currently weekly blogging on Fetch these days too.
    Oh i, nor anyone else other due to enough volunteers, am no longer at risk of redundancy.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    TR/Shades, I did see that the organisers of Goodwood are doing a trial event this weekend for a 10k and I'm presuming if that goes well they'll open up other events.  That trial event is here and it has some info of their Covid plan, although not a massive amount of detail.  One thing I have been worried about with all this is loos, but it doesn't mention that - hopefully there's plenty to avoid queuing.  If this goes well I reckon it'll be hopeful for Goodwood.
    https://www.runthrough.co.uk/event/tatton-10k-august-2020/

Locally, the City Runs 5K in Exeter is looking very hopeful.  It was supposed to be their monthly race yesterday but they released something yesterday evening saying that they're very hopeful they'll put something on on 26th August, which is actually earlier than I thought as I'd pencilled in their September race as a strong possibility.  No detail on their Covid measures as yet but I strongly suspect that it'll sell out very quickly.  They've also said that their entries will be very limited due to the Covid measures (it's only 5k but it is a 2 lap course, so I wonder if that impacts their plans).  I don't love the course for a very quick time but if I'm happy with their measures and I can get a place I'll do it.

6-miles last night on my trail route and I had a good run out.  7-miles this morning, which was a bit of a struggle compared to yesterday.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Ian - Helsinki sounds promising
    Big G - Nice running. You seem to be doing more trails at the moment?

7 miles last night with one of those jumps in progress and came in at 9:37 min/mi so the dream of sub 4 hr MP at MAF lives on. I had to stop a couple of times for a min or two to fiddle with my phone which was acting up which may have helped but all my splits were pretty consistently fast and I just felt good. Almost tempted not to bother with this 10k in September so as not to ruin whatever’s going on 😬. I don’t have any motivation issues at just continuing this training for months on end as long as it’s beneficial longer term, which I assume it must be?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    RCouture, in the summer, I tend to get out on the trails fairly often.  I have a few regular routes and about half of them have got quite a lot of trail in them, but they're very good trails, rather than being too technical.  The South West Coast Path long runs can be very technical in places, and I basically walk those sections.  Very well done on the progress - it's great when things click like that!

I've just put the info on my trusty spreadsheet for last night's run and also this morning's, and it was the quickest I've done those two routes since HR training.  I knew I was running well yesterday evening but this morning felt like a bit of a slog, although it was still the quickest I've done it.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Shades: I think so? We're talking about it at the moment. Today is Noah's first birthday so we're going to the beach for a family day. 

Mamafox: yes, this is Boyska. He's 8 next week. He's still recovering from the operation. I managed 2k with him and despite being initially excited was very tired by a km. He's not a pup anymore! 

Ian: I was put off Helsinki as I was told it'd be quarantine for us upon return so decided not to go. 

11k for me this morning. It's starting to get warm so tried to get out before it got too hot. I'm needing to work on Boyska's condition as the operation took a lot out of him. 
  • Ian & Emmy - Gutted for you both.
    Ian - I wouldn't say 62 mins is out of the question, I'd say you could trouble that.
    Rcouture - Well done, good running.
    Big G - Good to hear the progress.
    MF - Sorry to hear of your cancellation too. Fingers crossed for La Rochelle.

Easy 6 miles today.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - well 62 mins would be a good challenge for you and a great PB.   But you have to see how you feel on the day.
    I hope you can get to Helsinki, I think that finishes in the Olympic stadium, not that is important to you right now.

Keith - all that walking has helped your running obviously, you're getting back to a decent pace.

That's good news that all redundancies were taken by volunteers 

Big G - thanks for the link, that's really useful.   Looks like they're making a sensible approach to racing, and you can collect medal on the day.   

I don't think there's any point about worrying about the toilets, there will always be queues for toilets and all you can do is make sure you use the sanitiser.  You could also get to the event quite late for start time, I expect they don't want folk there too early, and make sure last loo stop was not at race venue, but unless it's your hotel room it's still a public toilet.

Good that you've seen more progress with your HR training.   Very high humidity this morning, was like a sauna when I went out, and I was only driving to the gym!

Rcouture - that's a big jump in pace, brilliant.

A 10km race will not damage your MAF training, whereas a marathon would/could so no need to worry about that.   You will recover promptly from a 10k and be out doing a MAF run the next day.  

Emmy - well will still be nice to go to Iceland for a break.

Happy first birthday to Noah, that year went fast.  :)

Running rest day for me today, went to Circuits but our instructor didn't turn up, not sure if he slept in.   They had to phone and get another instructor out of bed and she gave us what I think was a Boxercise class but no gloves or pairing.   I don't really like boxing but I enjoyed this and she started us gently and by the finish we were working really hard and sweating a lot.   I had 10 minutes then before gym so nipped out to the car park and managed to book Pilates for Monday, booking opens at 7 a.m. while I'm still in Circuits and limited places the classes are selling out quickly already.   Thankfully I'd taken some coffee with me so that revived me ready for a really good session in the gym.   Then food shop on the way home.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Big G - coincidentally, i contacted the running grand prix folks involved with Goodwood yday. They said that there is obviously a certain amount of uncertainty involved, but at the moment they hope and plan for Goodwood to still be on.
    If they cant get a race on there others dont have much chance. Its a closed cct, with no spectators, loads of roon to spread out before the starts, different start times and different starting places for the different distances.

If vlm gets cancelled friday, then ill put a goodwood entry in. I expect a closed cct vlm to happen, but nit sure how many will be included. But there could be multiple dates, venues and times. Could be the end of mass events that all start at the same time, as organisers will want to pandemic proof their events.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    The 10 miler is having an elite/GFA pen at the front for people sub 62.....
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian5 said:
    The 10 miler is having an elite/GFA pen at the front for people sub 62.....
    Get in that pen 😊 you can do it.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Shades: that's some epic class and workout! I'm impressed! I wonder what happened to the instructor. 

Ian: that pen is calling to you! 

TR: Good call Re: VLM.

We've had a great day and ive got two very exhausted kiddies. 

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you've had a good day, Emmy.

Stick 62-mins down, Ian!

TR, yeah, I agree somewhere like Goodwood is perfect really.  I am basing this on absolutely nothing as I have no inside information whatsoever, but I reckon it'll be on.  I guess any potential stumbling block is with the owners of the venue, but the fact it's still on the website must be a good sign too.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Emmy-Exhausted kids means a good nights sleep for you.
    Emailed about the pen,guess it will depend how many have already hit the time.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    I keep on getting drawn back to that Bath Two Tunnels Half Marathon......hmmm.  It's just that bus journey, but if the busses really are ran at 20-33% capacity, it should be fine shouldn't it?  The way they've sorted out the start area seems very good, with each runner starting off in 30-sec intervals, with the quickest going off first.  Personally, I'd prefer it if they posted out the race numbers even if it was a bit extra to enter, but they're not doing that.  I think if there was a way to walk to the start without the bus, I'd definitely be there.  It is a 2+hr drive up the road as well, so I'll give it some more thought.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - I suspect our circuits instructor overslept, I think he's only back for a few hours a week after lockdown and may be struggling to adjust.

Lovely photo, he looks quite grown up and feisty for a one year old.  :)

TR - I haven't done the Goodwood race before.   I was entered for the 5th July, I believe they are good race organisers but they didn't let the runners know that the July event was off until less than 3 weeks before the event, which was a bit annoying as we knew there were no UKA events going ahead then.

Big G - I went all through the deliberations that you're doing re Two Tunnels.   If you could find a B & B that would allow you to park all day fairly close to the start then that would be your best option.   Or there is a Holiday Inn about 1.5 miles away I think but you'd have to sort parking.
    I loved the course and the tunnels.   The event was organised with military precision when I did it as they had multiple race distances and waves for starting and it all worked really well.   I had stayed in Glastonbury and drove the rest of the way on race morning so on the way home I wasn't going to go that way and my satnav really let me down and got spectacularly lost on the way home, but that's no reflection on the race.  :/  

8 miles this morning, my legs were tired when I got out of bed.   I think maybe a combination of the gym and the unfamiliar boxercise class yesterday.   Did my 4 miles flat and 4 miles hilly route and on the way back my poor legs, quads, hamstrings, calves and glutes were really sore, I suspect my over enthusiasm for the Thai boxing kicks might have been responsible.   The 97% humidity in 17 degrees didn't help the run either, I was glad to get home for breakfast.
    Wildlife, one dead mole on the road, not killed by a car.   I've never seen a live mole as they're so elusive.   So cute looking.
  • I remember finding a dead mole on the drive when I lived in Oxfordshire. They have such big hands! (For digging, of course).
    It was very muggy this morning.

Yesterday I did a 6 mile recovery run - legs felt trashed and the first few strides were very awkward.
    Today wasn't much better but I ended up doing an 11 mile hilly run up to Beaulieu Heights (the woody bit under Croydon Transmitter).  First couple of miles were very slow (11+ - my stride length was down to nothing) and I toiled up the first couple of hills, but I picked up a bit of speed when I got to a downhill section and mile 4 was my fastest in 10:14. Mile 5 had 52m of climb though, so that was back over 11 again (Garmin's elevation has been back to normal this week, thankfully).
    At this point I had come to the bottom of Beaulieu Heights. I ran down it last Sunday - or rather I walked as there are steps - and it hits 20% in places, but it actually felt easier going up. I ran at the side of the steppy bits where possible and it wasn't so bad. I had trouble locating the exit though and spent a few minutes on very narrow, trippy trails through the woods until I came back to the top exit, which meant a 12:46 mile here (I didn't actually walk at all, but my stride was only .73 for this mile thanks to the terrain).
    I made my way back from there, which was undulating but primarily downhill, and left hammy was definitely not happy. My stride was getting really short as I couldn't get any power from the hams at all.
    However, I had thought I would do the last kilometer (or 0.62 miles, since I'm an Imperial girl) quicker as it's the Vet Runner's 1K challenge today. I wasn't quite sure how I'd manage it as I felt trashed, but as I hit 10.38 miles I pushed on and somehow mustered a 9:35 final mile, which gave me a 5:44 kilometer. Obviously that's more than a minute slower than I could run it if I ran a km flat out on its own on legs that were functioning properly, but you do what you can under the circumstances and I'm impressed I managed to go that fast today.
    Anyway, 11 hilly miles in 2 hours, and it's probably in my best interests I take a rest day tomorrow.
    Got the gym at 2pm this afternoon (the earliest I could get a slot) so that's going to be fun. And yes I'm being sarcastic.
    I am really not happy about a week of 30 degree temps but what can you do?
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Move up north,only mid 20's here.
    Boston got the green light off he local SAG yesterday so the only thing that will change now is if the government guidance changes.
    Visit went extremely well yesterday so a couple of easier days now,but won't be running much as I want to give sunday a real go,esp if I get in to the front pen.
  • Ian - Good luck with the elite pen start! Good news about Boston too, are you entered?
    Cal - Sounds like a tough 11 miler.
    Shades - It was very humid here too! I finished my run looking like I'd been for a swim, so much sweat!! It wasn't sunny either.

10 miles with 4 miles at MP (tempo) came out to 6:50/44/43/35. Ideally want to keep these all around the 6:50 pace mark in future.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steve-Yes I entered last week,still 100 places left if you want one,nice paces.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - hope the gym goes well and there's aircon to keep you cool.   Our gym is only open morning and evenings at the moment and Mon-Fri the last session in the morning is 10:30 which is OK for me, just have to book up in time.   Weekends last morning session is 12:00 which is OK too.
    Just saw the forecast for the SE for the next few days, scorching.  🥵 Luckily won't be so bad down here.

Ian - I saw that about Boston, great news.  They just have to keep Covid cases under control in that area and it will be fine.

Glad the VIP visit went well.

Steve - it was steady drizzle here when I finished my run but I was soaked, more from sweat than rain.

Someone mentioned to me that Coventry Half is going ahead, is that true, any use to you?
  • Shades - Looks like it is going ahead for the 1 November. I'm not really sold on doing a race this year tbh. I might be tempted after the wedding, but then I would have had a few weeks off/lighter mileage, so who knows!
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Cal: that's a great hilly run. 20% in places is crazy! I'm with you at the high temps. Its currently 29c here. Good luck at the gym. 

Shades: why don't they open in the afternoon? 

Big G: it looks like they've thought everything through to keep distance. 

I'm still contemplating races at the moment. Amsterdam is still on apparently but I honestly can't see that going ahead. Alternatively there's a few trail races in the Belgian Ardennes which might work but they're so hilly that I'm a little nervous to enter a full marathon there. 

5miles for me this morning. I split it between the two dogs as they're struggling a little with the heat. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - didn't realise Coventry was so late in the year, but that might suit you after all the celebrations.   Hope the rule on wedding guests is relaxed again before the big day.

Emmy - I don't think the demand is there yet to open in the afternoon.   Not all the staff are back, some are still furloughed so I think their plan is that should there be a Covid case amongst the working staff and some/all have to isolate they could then call in the staff still on furlough so the centre wouldn't have to close, or at least not close completely.   

I hope you can find an alternative marathon to do.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Fingers crossed for Boston, Ian.

Emmy, I can't see how Amserstam can go ahead.  OH's parents were saying cases are on the rise in NL.  I haven't checked myself, but is that right? 

Cal, sounds like a good run.  Hopefully it's not too hot in your flat over the next few days!

Steve, just as a matter of interest, how do you know you're running those tempo miles too quickly?  Do you just feel they're a tad too quick when you're doing them, or are you basing it on HR or something else?  If I start to introduce some tempo work I'll be asking myself these questions no doubt!

I went out a bit later than usual in the hope the humidity may drop, but no chance.  A very sweaty run on a regular route of mine!
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Too hot here to do anything. Everyone inside with all windows and shutters closed walking round in pants. I'm talking about my house obviously. OH is in work and I don't think they're walking round in pants there (even though they'd probably like to).

An early 16k for me which was ok. My purple patch has obviously finished and I've plateaued out again now. Ah well.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I won’t post any more of these because you get the idea - we’ve got a lot of stuff! However, this was all picked today. We’ll be making sauces and chutneys this weekend I think, and this is only really the start of the tomatoes we have growing.