Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    MF, how did you get on with your exam?  All ok, I hope. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Didn't realise Easyjet only let you swap flights for free up to 2 weeks before,luckily I was due to fly 2 weeks tomorrow so had to make a quick decision,decided to rebook to Budapest in October.No idea if the race will go ahead but it is a place I've fancied going for a while so will see if OH can get the time off work.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - you could make shakshuka with those lovely tomatoes. 

Mamafox - LOL at you all in your pants. 😁
    Don't worry you'll find another purple patch when the weather cools down again.

Ian - I haven't done anything with my EasyJet flights yet but but I don't think that applies to me as they cancelled the flights.

Hope you get to do Budapest marathon, lovely race.  
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I did contact Relish Running about Two Tunnels, as I wasn't sure about the course measurement and they responded with the below, in case it's of interest to anyone:
    "It is measured but we are not licensing this event through UKA.  They weren't saying a lot so we made alternative plans, but we are using the same routes as we always do which are accurately measured".

If I got a PB on that I'd count it I think, although I know others wouldn't as presumably it won't end up on Pof10.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - usually it is an UKA permitted event, not sure if counts as off road though.

Edit.. it's on RunBritain results for last year so a measured course, just won't appear on Pof10 this year.    But it obviously has a measurement certificate so would count as a PB for you.

From what I read in race info it seems UKA  unwilling to permit the event.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    London cancelled.  Elite race on bio secure course.  2021 race will be in October.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    That doesn't bode too well for big spring marathons if they are unsure of they can go ahead then.
    They say times are eligible for the Olympics but unless world athletics have changed their mind it won't be,as they said all Olympic qualifying was suspended until December.
    7 miles after work,legs felt really heavy at first so kicked them along a bit and they got going then.
    Decided to enter Fleetwood half on August 23rd so if the wind plays that could be a good opportunity to go for a PB.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - good idea to move it to October next year.   That might enable them to sort out GFA places etc., resetting date criteria etc.

I see that runners can take 24 hours to run a virtual marathon this year and get their medal etc.   So I expect they'll try and get the charity runners to do that.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian time to rest those legs ready for Sunday.

I did the marathon at Fleetwood once, a little windy but not enough to slow us.  Great fish and chips afterwards.😊
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    I dont like they fact they are saying virtual times can be used for GFA or championship places,virtual races are so easy to cheat at it is leaving it wide open.
    Also runners can defer to any of the next 3 years,means it will be very hard for others to get in any of them as it will be vastly reduced places available.
    Shades-I did the half 3 years ago I think and it is very wide open,nice course if the weather is ok though.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Ian: Ive not seen that bit yet but virtual races are a big no-no! My gosh. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - the GFA timing is only for runners that already have GFA times from 2018 so this is a method for the runners to extend the date range of their GFA ability.

It's good they can defer for up to 3 years, spreads the load rather than the hit being all in 2021.

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-That makes more sense for the GFA,I didn't read that in the release.
    Personally,my unpopular opinion is that they should have done what Boston done and just refunded everyone and move on.
    But there was no chance of them doing that with the pr it would attract.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    London is really a big charity run, Boston is completely different.  The charity places are purchased by bond for a period of years so not straight forward to refund.

Much as I love to watch Kipchoge run, a head to head with Bekele I think is of very little interest.   IMHO they should save the money they're spending on that and give it to charity.  Kipchoge and Bekele are both millionaires, they don't need the money.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    8 miles again today.   Strange weather, very foggy/misty when I went out.   There was a light breeze in places which helped a bit but 99% humidity along with the fog was like running in a sauna.   I did manage to keep HR down for the first 7 miles.
    Legs still a bit tired today, was hoping to do a lower body session today in the gym.   Since the gym reopened I've just done a general workout but now I'm upping the session to 4 a week I need to split workouts into upper and lower body as some sessions will be on consecutive days, so will start with upper body today.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I have to say, after yesterday I looked at the humidity forecast for this morning and thought "I'll skip that!".  I'm going to go out early evening, all being well.  This week was a reduced milage week anyway (well, it was supposed to be last week but that didn't happen, so it's this week), so I'm okay with not doing as much for a couple of days particularly with the conditions as they are.  Yesterday was an awful run...I was absolutely drenched!

Regarding London, I have always been of the opinion regarding the GFA, charity places etc etc, that it's their race so they can do what they want.  But this thing about allowing a virtual event to count for GFA is ridiculous in my opinion.  I know I'm probably "old school" and I freely admit I don't think that much of virtual events, but I do accept they're very popular and many runners love them.  But having one count for qualification doesn't seem right for many reasons, not least because of the potential of abusing it.  Saying it cheapens the achievement in some ways is possibly a step too far and I guess there's an argument that if someone can run a qualifying time it shouldn't matter if it's in a race or not, but I don't share that view.

I'm obviously not personally impacted by this, but I do think there's an argument for what Ian says that 2020 should just have been cancelled.  But I do know it's not really a running event anymore and the emphasis is on the charity aspect, so I suppose that is a major consideration in any decisions that have been made.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - it's going to be 28 degrees + by that time, so it's not much of a choice really. 
    Was only about 15 degrees when I went out.

Re the GFA there's going to be some type of criteria to check/validate the GFA times.   Also bear in mind that a runner with a fast time for a half can get a GFA/Championship/elite place if they're good enough as with other big marathons.  

I too dislike virtual events and can only consider them as training runs.   Would never do one myself.

I suspect that part of the validation is that the runner has already shown they are capable of achieving the required time.   Seems this is aimed at those that achieved their GFA before January 2019 so their qualifying time has expired to be of use for 2021 race.

The charities will want to encourage their runners to do the virtual as many will have already raised the funds and the charities need the money.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure Shades.  The way I read it seemed to suggest that anyone doing the virtual event and getting a qualifying time will get in.  I haven't read it all but here is the FAQ on it:

Will my time be eligible to apply for a Good for Age or Championship entry in 2021?
    Yes, results from the virtual Virgin Money London Marathon will be eligible for you to apply for a Good for Age or Championships entry in 2021.

Runners will also be asked to provide supplementary evidence.

Full details of the application process and qualification period for Good for Age places in 2021 will be published on the website by 31 August 2020.

• Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    I can't see how a virtual event can possibly qualify! I may be being a bit thick here but how can they check the distance is exact.. or that the runner didn't stop and rest for a bit? Or have any other help?
    I do hope things get back to normal at some point. The fact that races may change permanently to be pandemic proof is horribly worrying  :(

Thank you for asking Big G, my exam went ok. not as easy as I'd imagined mind you, but it's done. There were nine of us there, all a mixture of nationalities (The girl next to me was Russian). Everyone was talking in heavily accented french from behind a mask. I swear the examiner had the beginnings of a twitch coming on by the end of the day. Results in a month.

16k done for me this morning, a bit slower than yesterday but my, it was hot, even though I left early. I checked my stats and my purple patch best results from last week had me leaving in 13 degrees wheras today it was 23 degrees so that's obviously not helping.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    MF, it's been pointed out that probably the easiest way to cheat at the virtual event is just to get a fast person to run with your watch, so it appears on your own Strava/Garmin account.  That way there is none of fiddling about with data required, or trying to cycle a route at a steady pace :)  Strava does have "moving time" and "elapsed time", with the "elapsed time" being the one I imagine they will use.  I.E., if you sprint a mile, have a rest for 15mins, and repeat this 26 times that will be a long "elapsed time" but possibly a short "moving time".  I don't know how they will sort the potential GPS and distance issues!  Good luck with the exam results.
  • Options
    Cal, great run yesterday was warm and sticky so well done incorporating hills. Reasons for feeling that running is rubbish is its slow pace, short distances which can make routes repetitive and it's still not as comfortable as it was.  I know I'm doing well after what happened last year but still doesn't stop me feeling that way.

Shades - DD for me looking like 2023, 2021 is either Turkey but most likely mums 60th b day celebrations, 2022 will be mine and Elle's 10 year together and prob go to Turkey as prob not going next year but 2023 is pencilled in :)  I took read that virtual times would be accepted, obviously if you can't get close to the times then the extra evidence they ask for won't count but if you're within a few mins of the times required then easy to cheat the system.  Championships pen will have never been so full.

Ian great news for Boston, it's a race I'd have liked to have done if looking for a time.

MF we can't be firing all the time, I assume no flare up of PF since the injection? So many people I have spoken to have said it didn't work for them, glad it worked for you.

Big G, how do your garden fruits and veg compare to stuff out of supermarkets?

Think I'm making slow but steady progress, 7 miles yesterday and felt okay and glad I'm not getting carried away and ramping up too much especially as I have 2 weeks off from work now so will try to increase running slightly.

Garden Project is starting to take shape, Elle has to take most of the credit, will get some before and after photos.

Been a busy morning, catch up on here, join a local gym and entered a marathon.  Local company I have volunteered for them a few times and ran some of their events in the past.  

https://activetrainingworld.co.uk/project/the-marathon-dorney-lake-4th-october-2020/?fbclid=IwAR0Yy_K8qMcLLsmVLjTA1bEG5zxpPUuxe43OrbNU0cDM_Tlw0yXB1wU51Zo
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, I saw that race - looks interesting and it's certified I think, isn't it?  I also saw something for 2:40/3:00 male/female runners that is hoping to go ahead in Wrexham?  Regarding the veg, it's really fresh and very tasty.  For example, we have different varieties of tomatoes and they all taste slightly differently and with a much stronger taste, rather than a watery taste.  Some of the veg is a bit "wonkier" than what you can buy, but it all tastes great.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I think the key there is in the wording, eligible to apply and supplementary evidence.
    Of course there may be very few GFA places available for any extras anyway.  Details available at the end of the month.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Mamafox - I'm sure you'll sail through the exam.   They have a similar exam here and I've heard a couple of tricky questions in that apparently.

That's quite a difference in temperature.  Have you done your MHR test yet?.  Ideal in very hot weather as your heart rate will rise quickly.

Robert - I expect GFA places for London will be limited, capped at 3,000 men and 3,000 women for 2020 entries.

Good progress on your training and the gym membership and the marathon entry.   Dorney Lake is a lovely venue, 10 laps if the same route as the Running Miles events.   Mentally a tough course as the laps were out and back, but very social and lovely views.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    There is some new parkrun guidance where they have published a framework for returning.  No dates set yet so it's just the "how" at the moment.  From what I can see I think the main changes are around the start area, getting the briefings done quickly and getting the runners to the start only when it's time to run.  Also the finish process, which they're going to try and speed up and vastly reduce contact by having all volunteers use their own phones to scan barcodes and automate the results processing, whilst increasing the number of scanners to be a 1:50 ratio with runners.  Also having the barcode scanners spread out as opposed to having them huddled together.  Each event has got scope to move the start/finish to more open spaces if able to do so, even if it means increasing the distance (decreasing the distance not allowed).  Seems good, but no dates set yet.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    MF - The thought of the poor examiner having to make sense of non-native french speakers from behind a mask does make me laugh. 

7 miles last night and 7 miles this morning on usual route. Took some time off work this morning to go out as it’s going to hit 35 degrees here today. It was still 25ish and 28 yesterday evening but managed to come in at or below 10:00min/mi so seems like this recent progress is pretty real. I’m now completely baking trying to work through spreadsheets with a fan that’s about as strong as an asthmatic mouse 😭
  • Options
    Big G - Course measurement is this week so licence pending, never been fussed with wonky veg is the past, may consider for a project if enjoy gardening (also need to keep cats away).

Shades - route for the marathon not been confirmed yet but imagine will be similar

Photos, I’m sure you can see which is the before (I hope you can)

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - parkrun won't be able to consider starting up again until larger groups are allowed, will they?  And runners would just congregate away from the start, they'd still be close together. They need to find a way to control the runners.

Rcouture - that's great running in the heat.   You seem to have acclimatised well to running in hot weather.  
    The heat building up inside is a problem though, don't envy you trying to work in those conditions.