Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Robert - That’s a great effort on the garden (the kitty’s enjoying it which is always the priority 😀)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Xpost Robert - you've certainly been busy in the garden.  Cat looks fully grown now, do you still have the other cat too?
  • Big G - I only know that those 6:40 miles are too fast as MP, as I know I wouldn't be able to hold that for marathon distance. However if I am running them at "tempo" I know it needs to feel harder than MP but easier than HM pace (which I struggle to hit in training anyway!). Not sure if that helps?
  • Shades I was surprised that the marathon I’ve entered has a capacity of 600, Tiger is the bigger of the two, however smudge it catching up but will always be smaller 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - well the cats look very happy out in the garden.   Last time you were trying to get them to go outside but they weren't keen.

Must be a different course at Dorney Lake, the out and back that the other race organiser used wouldn't take 600 runners. 
    It's a good course for those trying for a GFA time, no hills.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Quick 4 miler just to turn the legs over a  it,tried a fast mile in the middle and couldn't get to the pace I want for Sunday,guess we will see how it feels on the day.
    On a positive I just looked at the HM trial I attempted a few weeks ago and that would have given me about 64 for 10m,on a flatter course and with others around I must be able to knock a chunk off that.
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Big G -I hadn't even thought about giving your watch to a faster runner.. as ideas go if you want to cheat that's way up there as the obvious thing to do.

Rob - Your garden looks fab, do the cats stay in the garden or can they escape? Thankfully my PF has never come back. That injection was really a miracle cure for me and I haven't looked back since.. hope yours is under control now.

RCouture - Yes, I found the mask situation very funny indeed. It's bad enough trying to understand someone with one on at the best of times. Best of luck with doing spreadsheets in a heatwave  :#

Shades - No I haven't had that "fire in the belly" moment yet to attempt my MHR test. The thought of doing one in this heat doesn't even bear thinking about. You are made of sterner stuff than me!

I can't compete with lovely garden photos with cats in or even impressive vegetable photos but I am going to post one of a horsefly I got in the house. The really monster ones I see occasionally on the poor horses but this one is pretty big. I have put a 1€ coin and a dead fly by the side to give an idea of the size of it. Your average one is a bit longer than a house fly....

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    MF, yes, I think that way is the foolproof way presuming someone can find a willing, faster volunteer.  And how would London check?  Say it's someone who had GFA in 2017 but hasn't got back to that level recently, but in theory it is possible they could hit that if training has gone well?  I can't see how London can validate that.  I suppose if someone is a much slower runner then suddenly bangs out a sub-3, their previous results on RunBritain etc would immediately indicate their time is not what it seems.  We'll see what they come up with though but it doesn't seem to me to be the right thing to be doing.  That's a big horsefly!

Robert, garden looks great!

Shades, this parkrun framework is for all the countries so I expect they'll open up at different times depending on what is going on in each country.  For example, New Zealand parkrun is open already.  They've said there's no way of restricting numbers and they want to keep it as simple as possible (so no chip timing, wave starts, different start times etc) so this framework is their proposed way forward and they've been working with the public health authorities etc.  But yes it'll be probably be some time yet before we're back to it here in the UK.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Mamafox - that's a huge horsefly, they really are monsters.

Re your MHR test, you're right to wait until you have that determined feeling to get it done.

Big G - we looked at the numbers for NZ parkruns before I think, and the numbers were really small.  Be lucky to be this year for UK, local authorities won't be keen to reinstate them too soon.

There was mention in London's virtual run of an app so we'll have to wait and see if it's linked to the entry in a way to avoid cheating.   But of course there's frequent cheating in getting GFA times when a runner gives their number and timing chip to a faster runner.  
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that race adrenaline will be there for you on Sunday.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Preston foi8ng in to lockdown doesn't affect the race,its technically in South Ribble,had an email confirming it is going ahead.I didn't get into the fast pen anyway,so will try and start near the front and chase them down.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Just seen that the new London date is the same day as Loch Ness.  But moving a big event like London around in the calendar is always going to clash with something and in fairness I understand why they've moved London to October.

Anyway, I went out and did my bit of speed work for the week, which was a 5k time trial around the industrial estate.  it was a bit warm but I was okay and after a warmup I got on with it.  I had thought about trying to see if I could get 19:00 and I set out at that pace, but I didn't manage to hold that.  You can see from the below that the first 2k were even and at that pace, but then I slowed quite a lot, so I guess you could say I've found my limit!  But it's good to see the time with a 19 for only my second ever time.  This is my quickest 5K time, but of course I can't count it as such as I need to do it in a race.  Average HR for the whole thing was 177 (90% of max)) and it peaked at 185 (95%).

Speaking of races, when I was over doing this time trial, the Exeter 5k race came on sale, and I managed to get a place using my mobile :)   It really isn't the fastest course as the bit I've circled below is a short but sharp uphill and hairpin turn that we do twice, but it's the first race I'm in so it'll be good to get a time on the board officially since this pandemic started.  My course best on the route below is 20:15 and of course I'll be disappointed if I don't go under 20.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Good for you to have a race again.I am on the waiting list for the super fast 5k we have here,not sure I'll get a spot but can hope.
    Cal-Steph has been told she is in for London,really hope she does well there.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, yeah, I am pleased to be pinning a number on soon :)  It isn't really a "race" in the traditional sense of the word, but as I've said before I know this is the "new normal".  It's very limited numbers of 60, and we're going out in pairs, 1-min apart.  It looks like the course is changing to avoid it being laps, which is good and I was wondering about that, but it'll be flat.  I'm not sure if each pair will be a similar pace or different pace, but we've given predicted finish times.  The usual course does have a bottle neck at the start so this method will avoid that so I'll be able to get into a pace straight away but with no friendly competition or running with a group, I do feel some of the benefits of getting a fast time at a race are lost.  Regardless, I'm really happy to be in an event.

From a safety point of view I'm totally happy too.  Numbers are being sent out in advance and I'm presuming start times are too.  There will be plenty of space in the start area (there's a field there where runners can spread out), and there's no need to come into contact with anyone really, so it'll just feel like going for a fast run along the River Exe.  Where they're changing the course, it can be a bit busy along there with walkers, cyclists etc, so fingers crossed it'll be okay.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Big G: good news about Exeter

Mamafox: that's a big beast right there!

Ian: good luck for the race on Sunday. 

Robert; your cats look in their element! 

Shades: I agree, there's always been an element of cheating going on by some for their GFA. 

I had a busy non stop day yesterday. Ran 10k then immediately jumped in the car to spend the day with friends in Germany. It was 45c in the sun so we weren't outside for long! 

This morning it's already too hot so I'm going to have a rest day and just walk the dogs. 

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I was up and out before 6am today and did my usual 7-miler.  Some very god stats on this run with a few milestones broken (fastest on 3 Fetch Miles, fastest overall by 2.5mins and first time on any training run averaging under 9:30min/mile at 142bpm).  Very pleased as it wasn't really perfect conditions.  Being early it was quite cool, but still quite humid although not as bas as recent days.  I had actually planned to do 10-miles but I felt a very slight bit of discomfort in my left knee so just as a precaution I only did the 7.  I really think it'll be fine but I didn't see the point in pushing it for the sake of 3 extra miles.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian5 said:
    Preston foi8ng in to lockdown doesn't affect the race,its technically in South Ribble,had an email confirming it is going ahead.I didn't get into the fast pen anyway,so will try and start near the front and chase them down.
    Ian - first thing I heard on the news this morning was about Preston, thankfully not affecting your race.
    Chasing the first pen runners will give you a good target, how much of a heads start will they get on you?

Big G - that's good that London is the same date as Loch Ness.  Will also be Chester, IOW, Jersey and a couple of others I expect.   All good news as the whingers that don't get a ballot place in London can go and run elsewhere so we all get to run a marathon.

Great bit of speedwork last night, so that's faster than your race PB?   You should get sub 19 at Exeter then.   Will the SD help avoid that pinch point in that less likely to be held back by other runners turning?   When is Exeter 5k?

And another great MAF run from you today.   Hope the knee is nothing, but that might be the price of speedwork.   It could be from running the laps same direction all the time.

Emmy - 45 degrees, that is seriously hot 🥵

8 miles again today.   As Big G said better conditions, only 95% humidity  :/ but there was a breeze which in places was nice and almost could be called fresh.   My legs were a bit tired, not sure why as I did strictly upper body in the gym yesterday, legs today  :'(
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Hopefully not too much,the front pen contains 30,includes 5 milers,then we all start off at 5sec intervals,it all depends when you line up so I'll get in line handy so I'm not far behind them.
    Had a look at my training this time last year and I'm now training about 30s/m quicker than then,I know it doesn't translate the same but still a good sign.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - well hopefully you'll be able to glimpse the first pen ahead and start picking a few off.   Will be interesting to see what 30 secs/m translates to in a race. 

Today I should have been collecting hire car and driving up to Ramsey to collect my race number 400, never mind, we've all had disappointments this year.

I just read that yesterday was the the hottest August day for 17 years.   10th August 2003 to be precise, the day I ran my 100th marathon  :)    

Cal - hope you're surviving OK in the heat.   🥵
  • Ian - yes, I hope so too. It'll be a good event to watch on TV.
    I'm also with agreement on the fact virtual runs should not count for GFAs. Silly idea - far too easy to cheat. I'll just hand my watch to Steph and let her get me a champ place, shall I? :D

Big G - nice job - hope you do well.

mamafox - :o

Rob, that's sort of tempting, but I don't really like laps. How many laps is it?

Shades, hope your knee is OK. You're right about the heat build-up. Yesterday morning when I got up my flat was 24 degrees and built up to 28.4 by bedtime. It only lost a degree overnight with the window wide open so today's starting point is 27.4 so it'll likely be over 30 tonight, and will stay that way for the next week. Misery.

I didn't run yesterday - I did go out for an early walk and it was actually quite fresh, so it would have been nice to run, but my body needed rest.
    Today's conditions were much less satisfactory - nearly 23 degrees at 6am and very humid. I kept to recovery pace and legs actually didn't feel terrible (although the achilles and high hammy are noticeable) so I did some strides in the last mile and they felt OK.
    Tomorrow looks to be the same sort of temperature/humidity so I may not do a long run - I will see how awful I feel after sleeping in 30 degrees. :D
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Emmy, sounds very hot there. OH spoke to her parents yesterday in NL and they were sweltering too.

Cal, that is hot in your flat. Not good :(

Shades, the event is the evening of Wednesday 26th August. I’ve not seen the exact new course but it looks to be very roughly 2 miles out and then turn around and come back a different path for around 1-mile. This is very rough as the map isn’t that clear at the moment. So yes it looks like it should avoid that hairpin turn, which is good. Also, going off in pairs will avoid the usual scrum where the course narrows in the first 100m.

Regarding the knee, I did have a brand new pair of shoes on today so I was wondering if it could be that. They’re a brand/model I use a lot but sometimes it can take a couple of runs to break them in. Not sure, but I’m not too worried at the moment.

Yes, that 5K I did yesterday is my fastest 5K time as my official race PB is 19:40. For the race I’ve put 19:30 down so we’ll see what happens. If it’s busy with pedestrians/cyclists it’ll be a problem but I’ll try my best :)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - my knee is fine, it's Big G's knee  ;)

That is hot in your flat.   I had a little digital travel alarm clock that I used to have in the sitting room and it shows the room temperature.   Needed a new battery and I couldn't get the bloody thing to work after that so threw it out.   But actually it's better IMHO not to have a thermometer as when it's hot I look at it and it just makes me feel hotter.
    Let's hope that once we get over the next few days that will be the last of this awful weather for this year and we can get back to more realistic temps.

Big G - taking that hairpin bend out will do you a favour.   I would imagine that the organisers will do what they can to limit pedestrians and cyclists because of social distancing, hopefully they might even have designated lanes for you in narrower areas.

Much more likely to be last night's speedy run that niggled the knee than the shoes.   Anyway, I'm sure it'll be gone quickly.

You should have put 19:00, but anyway you should smash your PB.   :)

Right I'm going to do a Cal now and order some new running shoes for my birthday,  :)  which is in the next few days.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ha ha Shades, I was going to stick down 19:00 but decided against partly as I was knackered after that run and I was signing up to the race whilst I was still trying to catch my breath, and I knew I'd faded quite badly.  I'll just see how I get on on the day.  I thought they'd sell out more or less straight away but there's still some places available this morning I think.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I'm not tempted to enter the 5k, although would be a guaranteed PB as I've never run one.    I suppose with clubs on limited contact now there is less chit chat and encouragement to enter races such as you get during/after a club training run.

Couldn't decide which shoes so ordered 2 pairs, Hokas Clifton 6 and NB Fresh Foam More, both on my wish list.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I’ll let you know how it goes, but I’m pretty sure the same people will be putting on a 10k. It’ll be on the same kind of route on the Exeter canal so you may not be interested though?  It looks like they’re also considering a 5M autumn/winter race series.  If I’m happy with the 5K in terms of safety and they do put on the other events I may enter them. One step at a time though.  
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Ian - Good luck on sunday
    Big G - When is the 5k? Good stuff on the MAF run. 9:30 is my next milestone (best is 9:37). Think it was you who mentioned this Kofuzi chap on YouTube? Anyway he has an update on MAF training after 9 months on his channel which is interesting. 
    Shades - Nice 8 miles
    Emmy - 45 really is a bit much

12 Miles this morning and could only get out at 8:30 as had to mind the little ones so was 30 degrees by the time I got back 🥵. I went through a woody area of Wimbledon common and into Richmond park so was at least shady but the hills were also a killer. Will head out for another 8-10 miles tomorrow morning early doors this time. 

• I can't believe you've never run a 5K, Shades!

Ugh, Rcouture, that's not nice to run in. At least the common is shady, though. I've noticed it always seems to be a couple of degrees cooler along Beverley Brook in the early morning - might be worth you factoring that into your route.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Rcouture, 5K is on Wednesday 26th August....  That sounds like a tough run out in the heat!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - thanks but I wouldn't be interested in that 10k either.  Rural country roads would be my choice for a 10k.
    Who's organising the 5k and possible other events?

You've got a race the weekend of 26/27th September haven't you?

Rcouture - you really do well running in the heat.   That ability will be very useful when you are marathon running.

Cal - no, they've not really been popular round here except in latter years. For me 5k is hardly worth getting out of bed for.   I've done a few 4 mile races which were part of a Grand Prix event, 5 races in 6 days.
    However, at some point I do intend to run a 5k, hopefully at Tavistock.

Walked down to the gym, was hot but a lovely breeze.   Great aircon in the gym.  Coming home the breeze had gone so felt very hot.  Cooled down in my flat until I decided to do a big pile of ironing, finished now but I'm hot again, but feeling virtuous. :)

Ian - hope you, your OH and your daughter all have a great race tomorrow.