Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Thanks I've been winding them both up about who's going to lose as they are very closely matched.
    We have entered a 10k in Blackpool next Saturday night,OH struggles to get many Sunday's off and we seen this for next Saturday and she wanted to do it.
    So after nothing for 6 months,potentially 3 races in 3 weekends.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, nice one on the 10k.

Shades, it's City Runs.  https://www.city-runs.co.uk

Regarding that weekend you mentioned, I did have Warsaw 27th Sept, and do have the postponed Frome Half if it goes ahead, but I think I can get a refund on that.  It's also Goodwood but I'm not 100% sure about a marathon at the moment after no long runs.  I know you said I'd be fine with my training, but I'm not sure at the moment.  If it stays like this weather-wise, I can't really see me getting out for long runs as just standing still in the sun and I'm sweating!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - how good is that to have races lined up for the next 3 weeks.    :)

Big G - the Anglo Celtic 100k was moved to that weekend in September but the Anglo Celtic competition is not going ahead for obvious reasons.   But I've heard they will probably go ahead with a marathon, not sure of any other distances.  It's at Boddington in Gloucestershire, road, I've forgotten how many laps for the marathon, maybe 11 or 12.  Quiet rural roads, not a hill in sight.  Easy drive there.  Will be a UKA event.
    You could easily run a marathon off your existing training as long as you keep the mileage up and you're doing Plym Trail before that aren't you?.
    Details will be confirmed this week.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I've had a cut back week this week as I just felt I needed it so it'll be about 40 to 45-ish this week, but I am feeling pretty good (except for the heat!) so I hope to be back up at 60ish again next week and the following weeks.  Yes, I have Plym Trail booked.  That Gloucester event sounds interesting - could you let me know about that one if you hear anything else?
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Good luck to you and the girls tomorrow Ian!

Cal - Can you invest in a good fan? It really makes a difference regarding sleeping through the night. OH moans about the noise it makes but I find that sort of white noise (or whatever it's called) quite pleasant.

Big G - You are really on form at the moment, looking forward to seeing how that translates to racing.

Shades - Can't believe you did ironing in this weather. I hardly ever iron, absolutely hate it. I just shake things out when I take them off the washing line and then fold them.
     You sound quite philosophical about your "would have been" 400 tomorrow.. how many marathons are you at now? Running your 100th on the hottest day ever!, your 100th is really special I imagine, there's no way you're going to forget that.
    New shoes for your birthday, how lovely. I'm running pretty much all the time in my Asics that I got last time I was in Wales. I'd never bought Asics before and they took a bit of breaking in but now I love them. They are so bouncy and feel much more cushioned than my Nikes, and even my Hokas. But maybe that's because my other shoes are dead old now  :|

Absolutely awful run this morning, had to walk loads to keep HR down but I'm putting that down to the heat. Plagued by horseflies as well, and I was on the roads. I've actually stopped trail running in the forest because of those insects and now they're coming out in force on the tarmac roads that run through the forest, there's no getting away from them:# :#:#
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Mamafox: on the Tennessee group I'm in, they suggest putting some fly paper on your cap. Could that work for you? We have airco in our bedrooms and it makes the world of difference to our sleep in hot weather. 

BigG: it's been cooler today (40c in the sun) and a little breeze. I'm still not running more than 10miles in this weather though. It's too much. 

Shades: I've done ironing too. I try to keep on top of it before I spend an hour doing it. 

Ian: good luck to you and your girls tomorrow! 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - OK, I thought it would be interesting HR stats for you as we don't often get a chance to run a flat marathon round here.
    I would do it but I'm down for Goodwood, they didn't offer refunds, choice of virtual or transfer to another event.

Mamafox - I don't have much ironing as now I no longer work I seem to live in lycra.   But I do like duvet covers and pillow cases ironed and I have a few running tops that need ironing.

Re marathons, I'm stuck on 389 now, but given up the chase for numbers right now.
    When I did my 100th it was the hottest day on the mainland, luckily I was on the Isle of Man and always cooler there.

Thought I would treat myself to the shoes, would have spent a lot more if I'd been on the IOM.

Which ASICS have you got?

I think it has to rain to get rid of the horseflies doesn't it.  It's when it's hot and dry they chase us and every other poor animal too.
  • Options
    mamafox - I have one - I actually use it to block noise more than I use it to cool me down.

Shades - well done. I don't even own an iron! I did clean my kitchen and bathroom today though so I've earned some virtue points too. Enjoy the shoes!

Talking of races, a guy in my club is doing NDW 100 - what a terrible weekend to be running that! He's doing pretty well though, fifth place at the moment. I hope he makes it.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Just watched podium 5k,incredible running,Marc Scott won in 13:20,a british road record,most incredible for me was Tom Evans,quickly becoming an  ultra star ran 13:40,this is a guy who mainly trains for 100 milers.
  • Options
    Wow, that's some going from Tom.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Forgot what it's like leading in to a race,one-night struggle to sleep,changing my pace numerous times,getting kit ready,planning leaving time,making sure I have everything.
    Race day is finally here again.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Best of luck Ian!  Looking forward to the report!  I saw that Podium 5K too - really good running.  

I was sitting in bed really hot and bothered at 4am not being able to sleep, so I got up and went for a 7-miler before 5am.  It was nice to see the sunrise and also it was a bit cooler but still very humid at that time.  I was showered and back in bed before 6:30am for a 90-min nap though :)  Can't see me going out again later so it's 39.7 miles for the week.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - you lucky thing having aircon in the bedrooms.

Cal - double points for you cleaning in this weather, I didn't do any cleaning yesterday.

How was your gym weights session under Covid rules?

It was Connemara 100 this weekend too and they had similar weather to us.   That's always been my dream ultra to do as it's road around a really beautiful area, but my stomach isn't up to coping with 100 miles.

Ian - good luck.   All that pre race faffing, checking the weather, working out what time to leave etc.

I saw the results of that 5k, fabulous times.   The guy that was 2nd Alex Yee is an amazing runner too and he's a triathlete, maybe he should do both athletics and triathlon.

Big G - definitely the best time to run.   Never gone back to bed after a run but why not.  :)  

10 miles this morning.   Poor night's sleep due to the heat, not unexpected, but I felt fine and not sleep deprived.   But once I started to run it was my poor body that was tired after I've done 2 consecutive days at the gym.   Yesterday I went full out on my glutes/hamstrings/quads and calves and I could really feel them this morning, glycogen depleted.   I ran down to the industrial estate and did one lap, this is Big G's speedwork course, then out on my favourite hilly route.   I knew the hills would be tough but this route is well shaded for a considerable part of it and being out in the country cooler than urban areas, and it was, with a lovely breeze in places, so it was worth the hills for the better conditions.   Quite humid though.  Nice round 50 miles for me for the week.

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Four of the top nine men at the Podium race are triathletes, plus the first female: perhaps cross training is the way to go! Shame that I hate swimming and can't ride a bike!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    alehouse - I didn't realise so many of them were triathletes.   The Brownlees were/are speedy runners too.   Might say something about UKA that our faster runners aren't attracted to representing UK in athletics.  :/

I don't care for swimming and haven't ridden a bike since I failed to negotiate a bend at the age of 15 and hit and went over a 5 bar gate.   Wrote off the bike, which wasn't mine.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Jonny Brownlee was 8th yesterday in 13:46! On the world stage over the longer distances we seem to have a better chance to perform at the top level at triathlon than athletics. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I actually had a longer, hiller run that I was thinking of doing.  I had it all mapped out and had the route on my watch ready do go (it's a new route for me).  But it meant a short drive to get to the start and as I was sitting there in bed at 4am I just decided to do a shorter run instead and get it done early.

I was unlikely to do that Two Tunnels race anyway due to logistics as we've discussed, but also as the Half is in the afternoon it's another reason for me not to do it.  I would want a reasonable shot of a decent time so with a bigger chance of it being hot in the afternoon, I definitely won't be travelling there.

Alehouse, I hadn't realised that many were tri athletes in that race either although I knew JB was in there and heard his name a few times.  I quite enjoyed the footage.  Very simple and not "professional" as it was presumably just from a phone, but I quite enjoyed it and he was right there in the action.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    alehouse - I usually watch the televised triathlons, I skip the swimming though as that's dull to watch.  But I've noticed over the years that the triathletes are a much happier bunch than our track/field athletes.

Big G - my route this morning has an option to shorten it, I didn't, but at this time of year it's not worth flogging yourself in unpleasant conditions.

That put me off the Two Tunnels too, having a certain start time and it being later that I would have wanted.   The year I ran the 50km we started first and fairly early, which was good.   It was a very hot day but the tunnels are deliciously cold. 
  • Options
    Pleased to say my clubmate, Sam, finished third in NDW100. He said he felt broken, which is not surprising. The long time leader dropped out not far from the end - don't know what happened but I assume injury or heat stroke - you wouldn't give up a winning position for something more minor. Hope he's OK.

Shades, I've been the only one in the free weights area both times I've been.
    My only attempt to ride a bike, as a kid, ended with me in a rosebush. I haven't been on one since (well, aside from spin bikes, but not the same!).
    Good 10 miles there.

Big G, don't blame you for opting for a shorter run.

I managed to get 6 hours last night, which is actually good considering it was almost 30 degrees in my room when I went to bed. Using earplugs has been a game changer - I really seem to sleep a lot better when wearing them, even if there isn't much noise outside.

I managed 16 miles today. Didn't feel too hot when I went out at 5:30am - muggy though.

I decided to do a bit of the Wandle Trail again, though I skipped the bottom bit and started at Collier's Wood. It almost ended in disaster when I rolled my ankle just before Morden Hall Park (mile 3) - I had to stop for a few seconds and walk a little. The actual ankle roll wasn't too bad (that's the ankle I've sprained multiple times - the ligaments are loose enough now it's pretty hard to do any real damage) but I also managed to tweak my bad groin a bit at the same time. Once I got running again the ankle was OK - a little sore on top of the foot but that passed. The groin twinge settled after about another mile but I'll be keeping my eye on both for the rest of the day.

Today I decided to explore as far as Hackbridge - the park there is actually really nice. Then I popped into Wilderness Island (a little nature reserve off the Wandle which only has one entrance so there's no way through, just in and around and back the way you came) on the way back as I was curious. It's mostly trees and narrow trails and I had to slow right down as I didn't want to roll my damn ankle again on the tree roots. 

Came back via Mitcham Common. That common is so confusing due to the fact it's in sections due to the roads that go through it, and one section looks much like another. Went the wrong way again but at least I knew where I was from the last time I went the wrong way. :D  Had to take it easy through the common, too, as it's bloody lumpy and quite hard to run on in places. Pace picked up once I got back on pavements again but the last few miles felt pretty laboured. It was getting warmer so I was thankful there was actually a breeze as I was going up Streatham Hill.

Anyway, that brings me to 52 miles for the week, which is my first 50+ since the groin injury in June.

Tomorrow will be a rest - I've booked the gym for 9:30 and will probably do a walk at some point, but no more than three miles.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - a good week's training for you despite the heat.   Ground is rock hard again so not very forgiving when it's uneven.

They don't seem to be rushing back to your gym then.
    My gym is increasing capacity from 18 to 25 spaces per session from this week so they must be happy with how the reopening is going.

Well done to your clubmate at the NDW100.   I've never done 100 miles but I know it's a completely different ball game.   No matter how much you want to finish once you're up to the last few miles the mind won't overpower the body and it's common to hallucinate in the last few miles.   

Big G - I'm really enjoying Adharanand Finn's book on ultra running, I'm treating myself to a few pages every day. 
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Cal: absolutely fantastic result from your club mate. I've got a friend who DNFed at 50miles and another paced her friend for the last 50. 

Shades: great work in the heat too. Your poor muscles! I hope you can rest? I'd love to get out to do Connemara but it's not looking likely for a few years. 

A very hot 10k for me this morning. I was planning on further but I wisely stopped as k started feeling rough. Today was not my day. When I got home it said 30c with 65% humidity. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - 30 is hot and the heat doesn't seem to suit you.

I'm resting today and have Pilates in the morning, but no gym until Tuesday.

I have sneaked a look at Ian's result  :o   but as usual we must wait for the runner to report their own result.   :#
  • Options
    It's a great book, Shades - I've read it twice now. It made me think about that track race at Tooting - it's only a mile from me. I'm a way of being able to do stuff like that though.

Emmy, probably sensible. :)
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Shades: can't wait to hear how ian got on. 

Yep, every time I breastfeed, my tolerance to heat goes right down. I'm guessing its my body preserving itself?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - 24 hour is so much mind over matter and being a good walker, which you are.   Maybe start with a 12 hour race, there's one at Crawley every Spring, very well organised.   A 12 hour doesn't take too much recovery and wouldn't interfere with your marathons.

I've never mastered the 24 hour race, my best was my first and I managed 80 miles, it was blisters that stopped me going any further that time.   Subsequent races always my stomach (acid) so have given up trying to do longer ultras, for now anyway.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, it is a good book.  He seems a nice chap too, which is always good to discover, rather than the opposite.  I got that book signed by him last year and then a short time later he was at Haytor Heller.  I was there with my Chief Marshal bib on where he said hello to me and we had a short chat on the start line.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - I'm sure you're right, that your body is protecting itself from dehydration.

Big G - I haven't met him, he used to run with the Mavericks now and then, he's a friend of T's.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    So a real honest race today,first one in 6 months,so it may be a longer report than usual.
    In terms of covid it felt completely safe,massive field at the start separated into a toilet queue and a warm up area,toilets had sanitiser on the way in and out.
    Start area was a little tight,yellow markings on the floor separated 2mtrs but people a bit closer but we were only there a bit.
    Onto the race,started a bit fast,as usual,but didn't want to leave anything,first 2 miles are slightly uphill and in to the wind,clocked 6:02,then 6:07,at mile 3 we turn and go slightly downhill so I hit 5:54,felt it was a bit fast so pulled back slightly and then went 6:07,6:04 getting to halfway in 30:36 which I knew was way too fast.
    2nd half and the wind was picking up,it was a bigger headwind on the way back up the bypass so I slowed a bit,got to 10k in 37:59 just 26 sec behind my PB and second fastest ever.We turned off the main road with 5k left,I had 19:45 to break 62,a nice bit of downhill gave me a little more time in the bank,came to the last mile thinking I had it safe,got to 10 miles and at 1:01:23 bit still not finished,annoying as my watch was measuring right with all the mile markers so don't know what happened,head down and chased a guy in front which helped drag me over in 1:01:55.
    Very happy to break 62,bodes well for my next 2 races,could I do 20 mins for another 5k? I think I could so hopefully 1:22 is possible.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Here are my splits ,so a definite fade but ok.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - brilliant racing and indeed deserves a good detailed race report.

So you achieved your target of sub 62.   :)   How much was that off your PB?

And the rest of the family?

Re the mile markers, they probably marked the miles by measuring with a GPS whereas the whole course would be measured officially.   So it's often the last mile that seems long, happens frequently in marathons.