Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Robert: I'll take a look. We tried citronella here but our mosquitoes didn't seem to care!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - oh, that's a shame.   Hopefully when cases are controlled and start to decline they'll be as quick to remove the restrictions.

Big G - I watched the highlights of Stage 1 of the Critérium du Dauphiné last night, it was so good to watch sport in a normal fashion.   Just got to home that they stay Covid free.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - I've seen posts about Brighton's 'unique and revised' format.

Run a virtual 20 miles.   Then travel to Brighton to do a socially distanced 10k, don't know what day that is.

So you were right, it's a 10k. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Shades, yes, it's really good seeing the cycling.  TdF in a couple of weeks, all being well.

Emmy, not good news about NL.  We're supposed to be going to NL in November but we'll just have to see how the next few weeks go.  It is a bit odd as friends of mine are hoping to go to Prague soon and my friends were were saying yesterday that Czech Republic have had a similar rise as NL have, but no talk of restrictions yet.

There was a downpour overnight and it was raining very heavily when I was due to go out, so I stayed in until it stopped, meaning I went out a couple of hours later than usual.  Humid conditions again, but I had an enjoyable run out. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I forgot to say about the Dorney Lake Marathon.  I'm a member of the sub-3 Facebook group and some of the faster runners are entering it with the hope of getting a London Championship race.  So I suppose there will be quite a few at around your kind of pace if you do decide to do it.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - you should have run in the rain, it was lovely. ;)    Not so pleasant when it stopped.

I thought the Dorney Lake race had been put on specifically for those trying to get a GFA time, that's why it's on that date too.

Definitely cooler today walking down to the gym.   Unfortunately my flat hasn't yet started to cool down.

Rcouture - apparently that info I posted about Brighton is what they're hoping to do, still awaiting LA permission.
  • My flat's down to 25ish now which is much better and I can go back to playing games on my PC, which solves some of the boredom issue.
    I did have an incredibly crap night though. Yesterday I was both bored and tired in the afternoon. I decided to lie down to read for a bit and ended up having a nap. It wasn't long or deep but I couldn't get to sleep for ages once it got to bedtime. Woke up (well, I seemed to wake up every hour during the night) feeling groggy and crap so decided not to run today. I did go for a 3 mile walk hoping it'd wake me up, but it didn't so went back to bed and slept another hour until nearly 11am. I hope that doesn't mess me up for tonight again.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I have a strange mental block kind of thing that I cannot explain.  I find it difficult to head out the door when it's raining heavily.  But if I get soaked during a run, literally even if it's only a mile in, I'm fine with it.  I know this doesn't make sense.  I also absolutely hate starting a race when it's raining heavily - it puts me in a really bad mood!

I had forgotten about the Dorney race trying to attract GFA runners.  Seems it's working as a few fast runners are definitely interested.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I think 2:45 might be a bit beyond me  ;)
    Hectic few days in work again has meant no running yesterday,should be able to get out today but my plan for 50 wont happen,maybe 40 instead,bit annoying,but really need to have a big week next week or this will turn in to the longest taper ever.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I woke every hour too but remarkably I feel fine today.

Big G - I know what you mean, but as long as you have a cap on, the rain always looks worse than it actually is.  It's good at this time of year as no need for a jacket when it rains.

Ian - annoying for you not being able to run as much as you would like this week.

Is it a 10k race for you this weekend?
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    The Brighton date is 11th Oct. I'll defer my place until 2021.

Im hoping a few quick folks head to Goodwood as well as Dorney, in the absence of much else there should be a few decent runners at each. Although the Wrexham sub 2.40 race will no doubt attract a lot of the much quicker runners.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Weymouth Half not happening and it seems they’re not that pleased about the decision. I was hopeful, but thought it would get cancelled.  
    https://justracinguk.com/covid-19-update-for-weymouth-half-marathon-2/
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Shades-Yes 10k tomorrow night,then HM next Sunday,with a rest again this week I should do OK tomorrow,not too sure about next week as it will depend how many miles I can fit on.
    The biggest delay in stating the obvious ever but Barca have finally cancelled,interestingly they are doing next years race in November,so they mustn't be confident about March events.Full refund and we hadn't booked flights so all good.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Swindon Half is on though...
    https://www.newswindonhalf.co.uk/covid-19-updates/

This gets to the heart of my main issue at the moment as I'm a bit uneasy at staying over at hotels currently.  This is 2.5-3hrs away and I suppose it's likely I'll get a start time of around 8:30am-ish.  There are Travelodges nearby so I need to think a bit more about it.  The 5K and 10K I've entered are about 30mins up the road so it's easy, but I can't see any more local halfs coming up in the near future at the moment.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    How bizarre, Swindon have been on the brink of being locked down again too. Id stick with something more local for now, that you can easily drive to on the day.
  • Robert OHaraRobert OHara ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Shades been giving some exercises from the physio and should do them more frequently that I do (which is hardly ever). 

Dorney Lake is ATW 1st marathon, usually offer event management for other races/ clubs, but do organise a few shorter distance races and tri and dual/ aqua races themselves.  I don't think they were considering it as a fast race for gfa, but it appears there is a demand for it.  I find their events well organised, James the RD seems to have his head on when organising so should be a good event.  One criticism I do have is the nearly zero tolerance for refunds/ deferrals.

We had storms lastnight for a few hours so a bad nights sleep, then it rained all morning.  Made it to the gym, then a 5km run before 1km swim.

Not sure if I mentioned, I've been into work one day during lockdown, I got caught speeding (47 in a 40) been offered to do a speed awareness course, currently on Zoom and £90 cost.  Better than taking the points and the £100 fine.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    TR - I'm sure there'll be plenty of fast runners at Goodwood.   Wrexham is a long drive from the SE so runners may opt for the closer event.

Big G - councils again, always over cautious, shame about Weymouth.

I wouldn't have any concerns about staying in a hotel at all.  Virus is passed more easily person to person than from surfaces and Travelodge etc are all doing extra cleaning.  If it worries you drive up on race morning, will be a fast trip early on a Sunday.   You do have your PB attempt at the 10k the day before, but no reason you can't do 2 PBs in 2 days.  ;)

Ian - that seems sensible planning by Barcelona.

Robert - maybe time to do some of the physio's exercises now that you're marathon training.   ;)

Bad luck getting caught speeding, tut, tut, but we've all done it, not got caught though which is more luck than anything else.  Agree, better to do the course, would probably increase your insurance otherwise too.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Swindon sound like they are confident,it does say full refund if it doesn't go ahead so  nothing to lose really.
    8 miles after work,tried to keep it slow but as I've hardly ran lately it came out faster than intended,still slower than usual though.
  • Yeah I've done a couple of their races - the 10 mile last summer and the Farnborough half this year. Both were well organised.
    Naughty boy, Rob. :D
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I'll have a think about Swindon but it's probably a "no" and I'll keep an eye out for events a bit more local.

I took the new shoes out for a spin this afternoon for a 5x1k session with 3mins recovery.  Splits were 3:57, 3:47, 3:50, 3:39 and 3:46 which I was happy with and there was plenty left for another one, which is what I wanted.  It's the first tie I've done something like this for a long time, and this is the quickest I've done it, but it's in line with my recent 5K and 10K time trials.  The 1st, and 3rd were marginally up hill, 2nd and 4th marginally down hill and the last an out and back.

I do really like the shoes to run fast in, but I find them very hard to run slowly in, and very, very strange to walk in!  But that's fine I think as I'm not using them for day-to-day training runs or anything like that.  I do really like them so I'm definitely keeping them :D  They're back in the box now for races.  Pretty sure they're not giving me 30secs/mile or anything like, which is unfortunate ;)  

Anyway, with the workout plus warmup and cool down it was 5.8 miles.

Settling down to watch the DL this evening :)  
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Big G-Nearly forgot about that,cheers.
    Incredible run from Cheptegai,basically 3x4 min miles,wow.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Rob: naughty! Here, you don't even get a speed awareness course. It's just the fine. 

Big G: those are some great splits. How does the toebox feel?

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, it was a great watch.  He just seemed so relaxed, but of course he couldn't have been really, and breaking that long standing record is really something I think.  And to announce he was going to go for it, and then actually go and do it, is brilliant.  Did you see when he did 12:51 on the road for a 5K earlier this year?  That was bonkers too.  Obviously not nice to see Hassan pull up but I'm afraid she's got a cloud over her, in my eyes anyway.

Emmy, the toe box feels good.  I had spent some time walking around and running up and down outside my house, and they felt good, so I decided to take them out.  The edge of my foot didn't feel too enclosed either, and that would have been a deal breaker for me.  I think the term is "lock down" (but not in a Covid way!), but basically the lacing and structure means they fit like a glove in terms of there's no movement when running, but I still feel like I've got enough space.  They're a lot of money and deep down I know it's a bit of hype, but I do like them.  Interesting that all the other manufacturers are doing very similar, but pricing remains high really.  I suppose at some point prices will come down?  I saw a review of the new Adidas and it wasn't that complimentary, with him saying the sizing was too big and he wished he'd got a half a size or full size lower.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SJuLjXs21I

That guy, Seth, by the way, is very excitable so he's not for everyone, but I really like his channel.  As well as the shoe reviews, and his daily vlogs, he gets into the training aspect (he doesn't train to HR, but he's still very good to listen to).  He lives in Colorado and does some crazy elevation in the mountains there (they call then "the fourteeners").  He was hoping to make the US Marathon team but he didn't make the cut, but it's still a goal of his I think - he did 2:23 at Amsterdam last year.
  • Glad you like them, Big G. My criticism of the original Zoom Flys was they hurt my feet, especially the heel tab, so when they brought out the flyknit version I was made up. I've got my exisiting pair of those plus another pair waiting in a box so by the time I get through those two, I suppose they'll be on to the Zoom Fly 4.

Diamond League was an interesting watch - both 5Ks were excellent. Weightman did really well - I guess McColgan has been focussing on marathon and wasn't quite ready for it. I did notice her arm action is pretty awful for an elite - she could do with working on that.

Speaking of 5Ks, I decided to have a go at one today. I did a 2 mile warm-up (slow first mile and some strides in the second mile) then ran the Tooting Common parkrun course. This isn't as fast as the road triangle I've been using for my fast runs (one side of the Tooting triangle is dirt, and one of the hard paths is lumpy and has a slight incline) but I was curious. I wasn't going to go all out - not ready for that yet - but I'd intended to get faster with each lap. And I failed. Did the first mile in just over 9, then the next in 8:45, but the last full mile was 8:55. The only bit where I hit 5K pace was the last .11. Time was 27:37 which is pretty poor (given I was on the cusp of breaking 24 when I got injured, that's a big difference, even accounting for the course, the humidity and the fact I wasn't wearing my Turbos rather than Zoom Flys or 4%)
    On the plus side, my groin was OK.
    I jogged another mile home.
    I am going to have to work on my speed if I'm not going to embarrass myself at the Richmond 10K in four weeks. Meanwhile, I'm also having to get my long runs back up again for Dorney.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I watch his channel,used to watch it a lot but as he produces one every day it tends to go round in circles a lot.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's good the shoes are a good fit and you had a good speed session in them, is the Exeter 10K going to be their debut race?   Do they have a 'rocker' feel to them?

I wouldn't take any notice of a review where the runner is not complimentary because he's not wearing the right size, he should have done his homework before buying them or should have tried them on, schoolboy error.   Everyone knows that sizing differs between brands and between models even.

I watched the first half hour of the DL, so good to see proper athletics back, decided not to watch any more then but savour the rest over the weekend.  Villeneuve (pole vault) tested positive for Covid 19 so wasn't allowed to compete, hope there's no more positive tests.

8 miles this morning, lightest of drizzle and very very humid, 99%.   The drizzle helped a little but fortunately for the last 2 miles it started to rain properly and a good steady downpour and could feel the air become so much fresher as the light wind changed direction too so that made it much more pleasant conditions.   Legs still a little tired and glutes still a bit sore, which will be interesting as it's time to do another session on them today  :'(
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, yeah, I know what you mean although some of his race reviews and training tips are good. I don’t watch it everyday either.

Cal, that’s still a good session and great news the groin was okay too. 

Those Adidas are a brand new shoe Shades, but he definitely does his research, and he’s reviewed other Adidas. The sizing wasn’t his only concern with them.

The 5K will be their first outing in a race I think - 26th Aug. I suppose if it’s raining heavily I may not use them. Yes, it’s kind of a rocker feeling. The sole is quite stiff and the shoe lifts up near the ball of the foot, so because they’re so stiff you rock on them when walking. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - you've kept up well with your long runs so shouldn't have to put too much work in for your marathon.

Big G - I can't see how a review could be of any use if he's wearing the wrong size shoes, that's such a crucial factor that it changes every aspect of the shoe and any review, apart from the appearance.

Sorry forgot about the 5k.   LOL at maybe not wearing them if it's raining  ;)

Quite a few shoes have moved towards that 'rocker' feeling, Hoka have been using it for years, partly why they're so popular I think as they encourage the foot to move through it's normal function and makes sense to have that in a racing shoe too.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I suppose the review is of use to people thinking of buying them.  I think Adidas sent them to him directly - certainly other manufacturers do that.  He does buy his own shoes as well I think, but he reviews all types and the manufactures just send him stuff to review as he's built up a large channel.  I don't think he's sponsored as he reviews all brands as far as I know.  There are a handful of popular YouTubers who do similar and get early views of shoes.