Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, the start list pairings are only provisional at the moment, but once they're sorted I'll see if I can have a look at people's times who are starting ahead of me.  It would be great for me if there's a 20-min 5K runner starting just before me - we're starting 60secs apart so if there's a 20-min runner and I'm feeling good, that would be great.  Or if there's an 18-min runner behind me, try and keep them behind me, or if they go past in the final stages try and hang on.  But none of that is sorted yet and I don't know how they've allocated the pairings.  
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    @BigG: maybe give it a days rest and exercises. It won't get better in a day but it can get worse. 

I heard that about New forest. Very strange. 

I've just seen Amsterdam has been cancelled too. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith - you're very fond of TBL at Foxy's  ;).  I think I'd prefer Lake Windermere.

Ian - I'm glad the stormy weather is giving your leg a rest.  Although it feels OK now it could have been a warning sign to ease up a little.

Bet that guy you beat by 13 seconds is cross with himself.   Well done to OH too.

Big G - that's good that it doesn't feel like last time.   It's that sinking feeling when symptoms are identical that is depressing, like getting a cold and you know there's nothing you can do to stop it.

The gun, board and exercises should keep you busy.  Is the slant board like a wobble board, to strengthen the ankles?

Well I suppose NF have at least got an event now to put on, better than cancelling.

Resist running, your training is done for Wednesday's race, best to be fresh and pain free.

Must be exciting getting race number in the post, I always prefer that to collecting on the day.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I just googled slant board.   So you'll be doing this....

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ha ha, Shades....that made me laugh.  Not much chance of that any time soon (i.e., ever!), but hopefully it's a way for me to try and get right into the calfs whilst stretching.  If I feel it's not really doing much compared to leaning against a wall, I can send it back. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Big G - made me laugh too as it was the first item on the search.   Anyway I'm sure with a bit of practise you'll get close to that position  ;)

8 miles today, can't believe it but hamstrings are still a bit sore and very tight, now focussed on the back of my knees.   So when this DOMS finally goes away I will introduce some fast light deadlifts into my schedule as that area obviously needs work.

Nice morning, especially so after yesterday's windy weather.

Gym later, lower body, that might be a bit of a challenge, we'll see.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Crickey shades, that's a few days of DOMS. Are you still booking the gym? 

BigG: I've never heard of a slant board. They look interesting.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - yes, did gym yesterday upper body though and walking to the gym eased my DOMS.

Legs today, so that might knock the last of the soreness out, I hope.

I'd never heard of a slant board either, hence the google search.   They look good.
  • You must have really caned it in the gym, Shades! Walking helps, definitely - motion is lotion. :smiley:

Big G, good move, hope you enjoy using the gun. My achilles is a constant bother but it doesn't really stop me (well, not often, anyway - if it starts shrieking too loudly, I give it a bit of a rest).
    Best of luck with the 5K.

I was chatting on messenger to one of my clubmates this week and she offered to see me run and give me some drills and pointers. She's in Battersea so as I wanted to do my weekly club league 5K today I offered to meet her in Battersea Park. I ran down there (three miles - I could tell from these miles I had my fast legs on today) and met up with her. She looked at me running and pointed out a few things, gave me a few drills and then ran the 5K with me, giving me encouragment and form checks along the way. While I'm not quite at my June peak, I managed 24:47 which is very decent and light years ahead of the dismal 27+ time I managed on my own last week.
    She accompanied me part of the way home, too. Really nice of her to take time out to help me, and the sub-25 gives me a lot more confidence for the 10K in three weeks' time.

No foot pain although my achilles was pretty sore on the way back - not entirely surprised given the effort. Hopefully it won't bitch at me too much on tomorrow's long run.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Nice running all and look forward to race reports

Unfortunately had some bad news re my OH health 10 days or so ago which has been difficult to process. Meant I eased up on running a bit though still managed 30 miles or so last week and a bit more this week as it’s helped to get out actually. Went for 7 miles this morning with the last mile or so at 6:30-7:30min/mi trying to get a sense of what pace to aim at for my 10k race. Suspect will go out at 46mins pace and see how I get on on the day. I’m really not fussed about it, it’s just an interesting waypoint on this (very long) road to marathon. I’ve also signed up for the Hampton court half in February next year which is the one and only road HM I’ve done which I enjoyed. I have also entered the list for Kingston HM on the 11th October. They’re not sure yet if it’s happening so are operating a waiting list until confirmed. 
  • I'm sorry about your OH - I hope it's something that can be resolved.
    Hampton Court's a cracking half - I've run it every year for the past 5 years. Good PB course too.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Rcouture: sorry to hear about your OH. 

Cal: that's a great run from you this morning and what a great friend to have! 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - very sorry to hear that your OH has health issues and hope that you will both get through this difficult time.

Sometimes going for a run can help clear the brain in difficult times.

What is your current 10k PB?

Cal - what a good friend/club mate to help you out.  It's really difficult without an observer to know what we actually look like when running, hence our horror at some of the race photos.

Yes, I will think twice next time before doing deadlifts at speed to Bat out of Hell.   Gym was good, only 8 today so lots of space.  Took it easy on the weights and only the plate drag niggled the back of my knees a little.   Lovely out today, first time for ages it's not felt humid.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Really sorry to hear about your OH’s news, Rcouture. Running can help process things, I find. 

Well done Cal. It must be nice to get a confidence boosting, fast run in the bag. 

Well done on your run too, Shades. Sounds like you’ve had a couple of toughies this week. 

A rest day again today but I did my new exercise regime again.  It’s just 6 basic exercises that take in the region of 15mins so I know not a massive amount, but it at least feels like something I can keep up. I know myself well enough that if I start with too much of this type of thing I won’t keep it up. The therapy gun turned up today and it seems really good so far. Slant board will be here tomorrow. 

Still not sure what to do about running. I feel I could run still, but want to be sensible, although at the same time don’t really want to wait until Wednesday’s race before trying a run. I may take tomorrow off as well and try a run Monday and/or Tuesday. How does that sound?
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Thanks all. 

Shades - 10k PB (only 10k race in fact) is 50 minutes in muddy conditions on a very hilly course last December. 

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that sounds fine, maybe a little run on Monday to see how you are.

You'll have seen in RW that near the back there's always some really useful  exercises from Mark Buckingham so you can cherry pick any that are useful for you.  He really knows his stuff.

6 is a realistic number of exercises, any more can become a chore.

Rcouture - well you should be on for a cracking PB.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture- Good luck to your OH.
    Cal-Very nice of your team mate,I had someone look once and they noticed I held my arms too high,when I learnt how to lower them I found it easier,I still look at the floor though so really need to get rid of that.
    10 miles this morning,the calf seems better so cutting the run and taking a rest day seems to have solved it.Should have been basking in Iceland clouds today but the flight there yesterday wouldn't have been fun in the storm.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - good the calf is better.

I know you were gutted about Iceland.   But when we can finally do an overseas trip to a marathon we are so going to enjoy and appreciate it far more.

I had a fair night's sleep but felt quite weary this morning, I know I'm training quite hard with gym etc and it is taking me some time to get used to it again.   Had some porridge pre run to try and top up my reserves but it did nothing energy wise.   Back of my knees still a bit tight, but easing every day, did a 1.5 lap of the industrial estate and then picked up my favourite hilly route for a total of 10 miles with 613 ft of climb.   first 4 miles were hard, even though that was the flat bit too, did a leg session in the gym yesterday.   But after that I settled into the run and although it was hard the last 6 miles were enjoyable.   Felt a bit cooler and fresher today and a good mix of sun and light rain showers which is my favourite weather for running.

Lazy day for me now.  :)
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Shades: do you ever have a lazy day... With just 10miles run?! 

Ian: I know what you mean. I saw some runners were doing some of the route and I had FOMO. 

The last run for me in the hills. 5miles on the route I did on Friday (so I won't bore you with more pictures of trail!). I've honestly had the best week of running here and it's really ignited my fire for hills/running off the beaten track. I'm stuck a little with time/ location where I live so I might need to think about some weekend jaunts to places close by that might work. 

I'm trying to wear out 2 kids this morning before we drive back.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - I have a lot of lazy days, once I've done my run that is.

Sounds like you've had a lovely time in Germany and that's great that you are now embracing the hills.

Good luck wearing the kids out  ;)
  • Ian, glad the calf has calmed down.
    Emmy, don't blame you - if you can get them to crash out in the car, you'll have a peaceful journey home.

18 miler today along the Wandle and back. I wasn't sure I'd have much in the legs after the 9 mile 5K sandwich yesterday and 10 miles the day before. Turns out I was right about that. There was nothing in my legs at all. I thought they might perk up after a few miles, but they didn't. Hamstrings were dead. Good job the run was scenic because it would have been a real slog otherwise. Managed to spot five herons, a little egret, possibly a kingfisher (I saw a flash of blue and it was hovering above the river, which is a kingfisher tactic - my eyes aren't good enough to see more detail though) and a huge Maine Coon cat.
    Pretty much every mile felt like the last six miles of a marathon so it'll be good training for that, at least.
    To put the run into context, it was a few minutes slower than the 18 I did last weekend with over 400m of elevation, not to mention my faceplant. I will definitely be resting tomorrow.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Cal - that must have been tough, I feel for you as I've had a few similar runs myself lately.   I expect you did yours without breakfast or fuel too so even tougher today.   But I'm sure these runs give us extra mental strength to use in a race.

Must have been a kingfisher, they're so fast that it's just a flash of blue.   My kingfisher is back in his spot but don't see him that often now, but the water is tidal so that makes a difference as it's been at various levels lately.

I had to look up Maine Coon cat, gorgeous.
  • Yeah I did take a couple of gels - I didn't gel last week but thought I might need them today! I got a few free from High-5 for a Strava challenge so I used those and they were actually very nice - very liquidy and fruity, not at all sickly.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Cal: great work on the 18miler! I've never seen a kingfisher. Maine coons are massive. I like high5 gels too. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I struggle with the consistency of gels, but I found a High 5 one in the cupboard a while ago and used it on a long run, it was orange flavour and tasted nice.

At Frankfurt a couple of years ago they had gels which weren't of the gooey type consistency , lemon flavour and they were lovely, quite small so easier to take on board.  I tried the sport shops in Frankfurt the next morning but they didn't sell them.   Found them on the internet but way too expensive.

Just had a sizeable lunch, little snooze now and then watch the DL.   :)
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-A good run again from you,high 5 are my choice of gel,more like a drink.
    Decided to do 8@MP today with 3 miles either side to bring up 55 for the week,happy with that with an extra rest day and aborting a run.
    Few hills and the wind made keeping a consistent pace hard,but overall came out at 6:49 pace,target is 6:52.
    Moved my 20 to tomorrow as the weather looks bad again for Tuesday so hope it goes well after pushing a bit today.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Not sure of you've watched any of SJD's Pikes peak prep videos but he just won it,his ascent was a few seconds off Killian Jornet managed last year I think so very impressive.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, yeah, I’ve been following it. Very impressive stuff, and he broke the V35 record. 

From the summit camera, there was a back-of-the-packer wearing Nike Vapourfly...how he’s going to get back down the mountain in them I don’t know! 
  • Yikes, I wouldn't want to wear those on mountains, jeez! I thought the Snowdon video last year was funny - lots of people in Vaporflys sliding down that muddy hill on their bums. :D
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, from the summit camera you just see a shortish stretch, and whereas other runners around him were at least trying to run/shuffle around the corner he was having to be very careful, and at that point he had 13 miles to go back down the mountain.  The race starts at 6300ft above sea level and tops out at over 14000ft....so he's going to struggle in those shoes!  The terrain looked dry, but it's very, very technical in places.