Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - one slice if trying to lose weight, loads of vegetables and/or salad.

Two slices if not trying to lose weight, any more is serious junk food, saturated fat/sugar excess.  Shortcut to diabetes and/or heart disease.

That's the problem here in the UK, folk eat half or even a whole pizza and think that's normal, not excessive.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - Emmy has done Giant's Head a few times.  It's tough.

I'm hoping to do Loch Ness again next year, that's a fast course even with the hilly bit.   It's a PB course and net downhill too.

Bolton looks good and they are really determined to get that race off the ground.   I might consider it if they post out race numbers, no way do I want to collect number the day before.   I didn't think it was hilly though.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Cal/shades: yes! I'm an "ever present" for giants head. I've done it every year since 2013 (either the full or hill race). I'm down for next year (and wouldnt miss it!). 

It is proper mental hilly in places but I think with the hills that you did Call that you'd be fine?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    For me, the odd Dominos is just a nice treat and not a regular or normal occurrence. In that context, it’s not really a one-slice type of meal :)

We’re going to an outdoor cinema tonight and they’ve got a Greek place to buy food which should be nice. We went to an outdoor cinema at a different venue a couple of weeks ago and it was a really good evening out. 
  • Yes i dont generally just have pizza for the sake of it it's usually cos i have done a race or a long run or a bunch of stuff over the weekend. There has been a spate of fortnightly ones over the last month or so BUT thats called testing a nw pizza place out ;) I often plan better and actually have been shopping before a nice weekends training so will have proper food in (and ice cream). My last dominos were jan and october. For justeat it's been 4 since Feb and one of those was my birthday so doesn't count ;)
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    OH has decided she doesnt want to do it,she wants to wait until bigger races are going again.
    11 miles after work,decided to hit a big hill towards the end,as I approached it I thought I'll give it a full effort,hurt a bit but bounced off the too well.
    Seems to be a popular number,I ended the week just over 50 miles.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I'm sure your homemade pizzas are a lot tastier than Dominos, healthier too, except when you use the Nutella  ;)

Greek food, lovely.  Is that a drive in cinema or do you sit outside?   Aren't cinemas open again now, probably not all of them I guess?

Keith - you are making an effort to eat healthier then  :)

Ian - I can understand your OH wanting a more special marathon.   She's waited this long, what's another few months.   
    Budapest is cancelled I assume.
    Are you going to run the Phoenix then?

8 miles for me today, last chance to do this route on a Monday as my Pilates class moves to an earlier time next week and even if I get up earlier it's not light enough at that time for this route.   So did another MAF test, 2 weeks since the last one.   Had a good run, legs feel fine, I can still feel my glutes slightly, but in a good way, i.e. knowing I'm using them when I run.   Chilly morning only 8 degrees when I went out.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I was still looking at Budapest but from tomorrow the border is  shut to all foreigners for at least a month,so those easyjet flights will be swapped again.Yes I will probably do the Phoenix,I will decide on the day how to treat it,will go the day before and run the course to have an idea.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I had a random email from Budapest a couple of days ago about running the virtual half marathon so I guessed that the events were being cancelled.

OK, I will put you on the list for September for the Phoenix event.  :)   Good idea to familiarise yourself with the course and especially the turnaround points.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    The events are still on,just now for locals,unless the restrictions change.The half is this weekend I think.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    I just went to enter and it is full,give up
    It still had spaces when I went to bed.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I have to say, my pizzas are very good :)  I really do like Dominos as a treat but one complaint I have is that they're very salty.  Not that I really notice it when I'm eating them, but I'm parched that evening and seem dehydrated the morning after, which obviously isn't great.  For a takeaway treat though, probably my favourite is still fish and chips, and I'm lucky here as there are some very good ones around.

Yes, I think cinemas are open now, but we went to open air ones (not drive throughs, just open air where you take your own seats etc).  I'm rubbish at estimating numbers of people but the one last night I think probably had 200 there, but it was organised really well - they had socially distanced squares for 2, 4, and 6 people and it was all pre-booked.  OH had never seen Dirty Dancing before so we went to see that at Oldway Mansion just down the road from me.  There's some kind of community group that has taken it over to try and save/restore it, which is great, and they've had films on all week.  The other week we went down to Dartington Hall and saw The Personal History of David Copperfield, which was good and there were probably about 50 there, and we were lucky with the weather both times.

No spoilers here, but the TdF was good yesterday I thought.

As for me and running, I actually do feel I could run today, which is great, but I've promised myself I'm not going to run until the Nikes turn up (4th Sept the order said).  Yesterday morning it wasn't great so just because today feels pretty good doesn't necessarily mean that much, hence not running today.  I'm doing the exercises and have introduced some balancing exercises as well (basically standing on one foot, whilst moving the other leg around in various positions!).  Sounds easy I suppose but I'm surprisingly crap at it, particularly on my left leg/foot, which I take to mean that I have very weak ankles, which is something I never really knew.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I like Hungary in that they are mavericks and make their own rules.   That's good for the local runners.

Oh no, that's such bad luck about Phoenix event, does he have a waiting list?   

Big G - fish and chips is my favourite too.   But pizza if I'm in Italy...I wish.   I had such good pizza in Florence that I didn't eat pizza for a year as I knew nothing could match it.

200 is a good turn out for open air with SD.   Good to hear Oldway is back in use and there are plans for its future.

I heard the headline on the news last night re TdeF but decided to wait and watch the highlights today.   Stage one was good viewing and good racing.   There's doubts whether it will make Paris so it seems the riders are riding their best while they can.

Balance isn't just about the ankles, it's core strength too, but you will improve with practice.   We do balance in Pilates and mine has improved a lot since I started doing Pilates.   You could start by doing it wearing trainers, that will give you a good start and then when you switch to doing it in bare feet it won't feel so difficult.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I presumed it was my ankle weakness mainly as my foot is constantly moving and correcting to make me not fall over!  I'll keep at it though.  I agree - a big part of my travels is trying the local food.  I love it.  Marrakech back in January seems a long time ago now!

I just watched the Cracknell MdS documentary, which I enjoyed.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - although you feel your ankles moving to keep you balanced it's a combination of several parts of the body that keep you stable including eyes, ears and core.  Wear trainers and stand on a hard floor to start with, when you've mastered that keep your head up and look ahead, it's easier if you look at the floor.  Then progress to socks or bare feet.  It's much more challenging on soft carpet.

I remember that documentary by Cracknell, was very good.

Not thinking about doing the MDS are you?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ha ha, definitely no thoughts of MdS.  Even if it was affordable it wouldn't be on my list, but it's really expensive these days isn't it?
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    London GFA has been announced for 2021.
    https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/how-to-enter/good-age-entry/index.html
    I actually expected no places with all the deferrals so have to wait and see what the cut off is.Last day for qualifying is October 4th,same day as Elvington,actually wish I'd entered the virtual now in case Elvington is off.
  • Dominos is one of those that I enjoy the thought but never really enjoy it. Much prefer a light thin stone baked authentic pizza over their rubbish.  If only I could capture the feeling of after dominos before ordering.  Live a good fish and chips but can be a bit hit and miss.  Recently we’ve been buying cod fillets from Aldi, been fairly impressed so far just need to think of other ways to cook rather than just fry in fry light spray.

Shades - Still not overly focusing on weight loss Yet however results are going slowly in the right direction.  With Elle going back to work next week and a bit of normality restored (also Chloe goes back to uni) should help with planning meals.

Emmy being an ever present do you find yourself entering just because you need to keep the status? 

Big g   An exercise I’ve used for balance when had problem with fallen arches is to balance on one leg, close your eyes whilst brushing your teeth, I nearly fell in the bath.  

Ian bad news about the Phoenix event, I imagine you’re itching to get a marathon in, you’re not having much luck! 

Planned 8 miles today but legs still felt a bit battered from saturdays run, considered gym then run but by the time I went to book gym they closed bookings so went out for a run, noticed I started off a bit faster and wondered if I could keep the pace up, 5 miles average 8.45 which was first run for a while (been running 9.10-9.30 pace for most miles).

MDS doesn’t appeal to me either but still fancy comrades.  With my last couple of years will be a lot closer to the cut off now.

just watched a documentary on Netflix about the Paralympic Games, another one I’d recommend 

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I have no idea of the price of the MDS.   If they paid me I wouldn't consider it.  Sand, sleeping in a tent, carrying all your own food, sun...I could go on.   Only counts as one marathon I think as only one day is that distance.

Ian - looks like they've put a lot of thought into that GFA qualifying procedure.

I wonder if they'll have a big excess of GFA applications, a lot more than the 6,000 places. Just got to hope Elvington goes ahead for you.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - that's great news on the steady weight loss and you're running a lot faster too.   Any soreness in the leg after your runs?

LOL at nearly falling in the bath, that seems another injury possibility and one that might take some explaining.

Maybe try cooking the fish in the oven, would take a bit longer but can be very tasty.  I buy the Aldi basa fillets and cook those in the oven with garlic and lemon juice.

Well not at the moment as I think the thermostat has gone in my oven.   Cooker is 25 years old so will buy a new one, with hotel and flight refunds I don't need to dip into my savings to buy one, so that's one positive from the pandemic. 
  • Ian fingers crossed that Elvington goes ahead, Dorney lake is 75% full but keep an eye out just in case.  There are still charity places for London virtual but do you think you’d be able to race in non race conditions?

shades no pain at all, a bit of tiredness but only what id expect.  Managed to make it to the gym for a few weights this evening.  25 years for an oven it good going! 
  • Ian, bad luck - I'm sure there will be more, though.

Ugh, so I'm having Garmin issues. I don't use a phone so I upload stuff via USB to my PC and it's normally fine. Did a walk this morning and that uploaded OK, then did some home-based exercises in the afternoon. Plugged it in and nothing happend. Checked Garmin Express and it was showing as not plugged in. Checked my PC's drives and Garmin was there, so Express seems to be the problem. I installed the slightly newer version...still no joy...then followed the instructions on the help page which started with removing the watch from Express (digitally, I'm talking about, not physically) and then re-adding it, but Express still couldn't find it. I don't understand why it was working fine this morning and not this afternoon (Garmin Connect is still online).
    As I can read it as a drive I can still upload activities manually but not the other data like steps etc - I don't know where it stores those. Bloody nuisance.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Robert::no, I want to do the race! The entire event is worth it as the village het fully behind it. It's a great weekend. 

Cal: have you tried restarting your watch? Hopefully that will upload them

Shades: I didn't think MDS was your cup of tea! You forgot to add "risk of sleeping next to a scorpion". It used to be on my list to do but then I ran a marathon on the sand here and said: hell no.

Ian: sorry to hear about phoenix. I feel the same. I was 6hrs late to entering one in 2 weeks as they had a cut off of 12pm. 

I did a threshold run of 5miles during lunch. I'm now back to work and trying to fit in the runs wherever I can. I honestly didn't think I could still run that fast! No issues with my ankle so it's all a good bonus!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - it's not that long since you were getting some pain in your leg post run so that's another big step forward in your return to running.

Cal - how frustrating, hope it's now working OK.   I don't even know what Garmin Express is I only have (I think) Garmin Connect, I do have the app on my phone but half the time it's too slow to update and I end up plugging my watch into my PC.

Emmy - I never considered the scorpions at all.   :lol:

Good the ankle is OK.   Are you able to WFH now?

8 miles, chilly 8 degrees again and a sharp breeze in places, I'm back into winter kit again.   Hope it warms up before my races don't want it this cold.  Legs and glutes fine this morning so back to the gym today to give them another thrashing  :'(
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Shades: that's the plan with maybe 1 day in the office?

It was 9c when I was doing the school run. A bit chilly! It felt really autumnal. 

Hope that you have a good time at the gym!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - well one day in the office isn't too bad.  Enough to catch up.

• Shades, normally my PC picks up the Garmin and uploads automatically without me going into Express, but it isn't at the moment for some reason. Just seemed to stop working yesterday. But I've found out how to upload the data manually, it's just more of a faff. I'll wait to hear what tech support has to say before I try anything else.

Anyway, definitely nippy this morning - got the long tights out again. Felt like I could have done with a long sleeved top, too, for the first few miles, but I was OK after that.
    Did a new route today, or at least part of it. I found a footpath that lead from Tooting to Collier's Wood on the map so I went down there before running through Wandle Park, down the Wandle to Earlsfield and then back home via Wandsworth Common. As I didn't set out until just after 6 and ran 9 miles, traffic was pretty heavy on the main roads and I had to pause/stop a couple of times. It was easier when I could go out at 5 but it's dark now and I try to avoid running in the dark unless I have to (not worried about muggers or anything, just tripping over because I can't see so well).
    Legs felt surprisingly good (grumbling achilles aside) after the 20 on Sunday. I actually felt like I could go all day when I got to 7 miles but by 8 I was starting to feel a bit of fatigue so decided not to press on for double figures.
    I will aim to get a longer run in tomorrow before I head to Cambridgeshire for my godmother's funeral.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rob-I actually think I'd do ok by myself, maybe not maximum best but I generally do decent efforts, might see what charities are after as they surely can't be asking full price, as a back up.
    Decided to enter Wolverhampton half this Sunday,not overly sure if I will do it, it is 4 laps, but they say they have 3 small no overtaking areas which I am wary about, closing time was last night so didn't want to miss out again.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - so what does Express do that Connect doesn't?

I noticed a difference in the traffic too today as I'm starting to go out later when waiting for daylight.

Ian - I used to do the marathon at Wolverhampton, before they dropped it to half only.   I suspect the no overtaking areas might be where they use footpaths that are only really wide enough for one runner, they used to use these in the marathon, but they were short sections.   They tended to be across housing estates, across an area of grass for instance, so just a narrow path.   The rest of the route although wasn't closed to traffic was on wide roads so overtaking not a problem.  I always enjoyed that marathon, did a 10 minute PB there one year, if starting at West Park that's a big roomy area and if you get there early enough before they close the road immediately around the park you can park outside.  If not, there's parking in Wolves stadium up the road.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I just looked at the website and see you start/finish from a different location than West Park.   Couldn't find/see anything about the route.