Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Pretty much 6 months between marathons there,shows how bare it has been.
    Big G-I fully understand why a lot of people don't want to go abroad,but we are determined to go somewhere,it is a true chance for us to switch off,even if we are off and home we still have house stuff to do etc so we are willing to pay whatever we need to to get a week away.
    8 miles after work,looks like a hectic few days so will see what I can squeeze in the rest of this week,will aim for a 20 sunday to boost the miles.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Shades: I think I ran fast that day just to get it over with. It definitely rained from memory. I love how your rest days are still active. 

Cal: I had an issue with my Garmin Tonight. It stuck on the save screen. Thanks for the info about dorney but I'm stuck in NL until the UK lifts quarantine rules :(

I've hsd a bit of a rough day. Went to the shops and coming back I've lost the car keys. They must now be somewhere in my house but I have no idea where :( 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Emmy, I hope you find the keys!

Ian, yeah, I understand where you're coming from.  You've been busy at work through all this Covid situation.

I had a bit of a surprise as I got an Amazon package addressed to me.  Not remembering what I ordered, I opened it up to find the Covid test.  It's just a nose and mouth swab which I put in a tube that has some liquid in, and I post it back.  I'll do it tomorrow.

I did my first ever spin class today, and I really enjoyed it!  It was really tough though and I think I can say that MAF (142bpm) has gone out the window on this.  I had read that when cycling it's hard to get the HR up to MAF, but not in my case at this class.  It was a Les Mills virtual class, which I think are quite popular.  I'm not sure how many are usually in the class, but today there were 10 bikes all spread out in the room, and there were 8 of us there today.  It all felt really safe - the bikes were clean when we got there, and we all cleaned them down afterwards.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I do hope you do finally get a week away somewhere, you and OH have certainly earned it.

Emmy - was this a subconscious losing of the company car keys, as you weren't that pleased with it?   However, if in the house, maybe the children have been playing with them or they're in the fridge with the shopping.  ;)

My instructor at the gym has never been happy that I don't take a complete rest day, but that would mean dropping a class/gym or worse a run.   I don't want to cut my running to 5 days a week as that means I'd have to run further on some runs to keep to 50mpw which is a comfortable base mileage for me.  If I drop the mileage any lower as I did during lockdown my running fitness decreases too.   But I take an extra rest day from running when I have a race.

Big G - well done on the spin class, they are high intensity so should push you to the max.    You'll need to do the research but running HR's are not the same as cycling HR's, the zones are different.    You'd have to sit in the gym and use an exercise bike if you wanted base type training and I would think with a HR of at least 10bpm lower than your running MAF rate, would be very boring I think.   So from your stats last night you worked really hard I would think 181 is near the top of your cycling MHR.   Hope the achilles is OK after that.

8 miles today.   Tuesday I was in winter kit as only 8 degrees, today it was 17 degrees with a feels like 20 and 98% humidity, back to running vest.   Drizzly and it was like running in a sauna, very windy in places too.   Did my 4 miles flat, 4 miles hilly route.   Legs tired after circuits and conditions made it quite hard.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks Shades. I actually did another session this morning but averaged 130 this time. Still a tough session though in comparison to running at that HR. Achilles feel good - maybe a bit of activity, but not running, as well as the stretches/strengthening may help?  We’ll see.

The NB are arriving today.  
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Big G - did you go back to the gym or did you do this at home?    That's good that you can do this and the achilles feels good, that can only be progress.

Looking forward to the review on the 1080's, I'm a bit envious 😉  
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Back to the gym Shades....I’ve not set my bike up yet. However with this membership I may be encouraged to get the bike out to go on the Velopark track when it’s reasonable weather. But this cycling is just whilst I’m not running as much as usual...
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Going to the gym is probably better as it gets you out of the house so a tendency to feel you've done more.   I find it's much harder to put a lot of effort in at home...I wander off to make coffee.   :)
  • Big G - I like my Peg 36's, not as nice to run fast in as the Zoom Fly, but a decent shoes that will give me 600 miles. But yeah if they don't work, then no good for you.

Early morning headtorch run for 14 miles with 4 at MP. Miles came out to 6:55/52/56/50, so closer pacing to what I would expect for MP work rather than the 6:40's I've been hitting.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Steve, I know those Pegs are popular so I was really hopeful, but they just weren't quite right for me, which was a shame.

Shades, yes, I think that's right what you say about doing the exercises at home - at least for me anyway!  Today in the class I basically followed the session in terms of pace variations, but had the intensity on the bike much lower compared to yesterday and I was monitoring the HR this time.  The only thing I didn't do in the class was stand up on the pedals as that made my HR spike yesterday.  Whilst I'm doing this cycling I may do that kind of session most of the time, and the higher intensity workout not so often.  I'll just see how I get on.  As a test, I may even run the 1.5 miles there and back one time - with the one way system it takes 10-mins to drive there anyway so a 15-min run each way may be nice.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - getting darker here too in the mornings.   :(

Very even splits.

Big G - good idea to run or walk to the gym.   I try and walk to the gym as often as I can, just under a mile for me each way, but I think it's a nice gentle warm up/warm down for the legs.  I often get to the end of the street faster than the traffic when it's slow moving.

Once you stand up on the bike apart from your arms then it's weight bearing, hence the spike in HR.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steve-Really good splits there.
    8 miles after work,busy day but managed to get out,nice and steady and enjoyed it.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Shades: unfortunately it was for our private car :( I've still not found them. 

I had a rest day which was just a walk of the dogs as I've not had a good night's sleep and needed a break. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    The New Balance arrived this afternoon and they seem really good from just walking around the house - the tapered heel is very pronounced!  I strongly suspect I'll be keeping them but will try them for a short run soonish.  

I went and did a session at the spinning this evening - the session wasn't as good I didn't think think as this one was imaginary "worlds" (colour world, crystal world. water world), whereas the other two I've done actually had real people partly on their spinning bikes, but also partly in the "real world" cycling in the mountains etc.  It was full this evening though, and again I did it at about MAF-10.  I haven't been able to get on to tomorrow morning's class, but I'm in for tomorrow evening.  Also, I'm on the waiting list for Saturday so obviously Fridays and Saturdays are the busiest times.

I haven't ran for a week now but the last couple of days the achilles have felt quite good, but I think I still need some more rest yet.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - what are you planning mileage wise now that your race plans have been scuppered (again)?

Emmy - oh dear, hope you find the keys soon.   At least you have the company car to use.
    Hope you've had a better sleep and are feeling a bit fresher.

Big G - shoes sound promising, hope they are as good when you get a chance to use them.

The indoor cycling classes at my leisure centre have always been popular and were always oversubscribed pre-Covid and that was with a bigger class capacity.   They're all full with waiting lists now too.

8 miles today, cooler but still humid, felt OK though.   Legs still a little weary and it's legs today in the gym too.  :'(  
    Today I am back to my pre lockdown weight which is good.   I need to be a bit careful as I had delivery of my new cooker yesterday so feel like doing a bit of baking now.  :)  

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I saw that Boston (USA) was due to open its registration for next April's race but it's postponing that: "September is usually a time for the B.A.A. to begin opening registration for April’s Boston Marathon and planning for an already established field size. We know, however, that we cannot open registration until we have a better understanding of where the virus may be in the spring” 
    https://www.boston25news.com/news/local/baa-postpones-registration-2021-boston-marathon/UF5MNBIC2NC6BCZY7GEI3JC52U/

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I think a lot of traditionally spring marathons will opt for autumn 2021 if they can.    Re London and the GFA info released this week looks like autumn might be changed for 2022 too, if not permanently.

• Do you have screens or something, Big G? When I used to do spin classes at the leisure centre, it was just a bunch of bikes in a room with the instructor - nothing fancy at all.

Funeral went as well as can be expected - it was nice to catch up with my godmother's daughters who were close friends of mine when I was a kid. The train journey down there, though, was a pain as there were power lines down or something so the trains from King's Cross were cancelled and I had to get back on the tube to go to Liverpool Street and change at Cambridge.  Eh, well, got there in the end. When I got there, Frances (the elder daughter) cooked dinner and plied me with wine so, being a very infrequent drinker, I ended up a bit hung over.
    Journey home was much better, thankfully.
    Unfortunately, godmother's husband (not officially my godfather though I tend to think of him as such) is on a sharp decline and had to go to hospital and couldn't attend the funeral. I suspect I may be down there again sooner rather than later.

6 recovery-pace miles today - not the nicest run but there was a pretty sky for the first mile or so. Hopefully I'll have a bit more pep in my stride tomorrow.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Glad it went aswell as it could do,these things are always tough and that's the best you can hope for.
    Shades-Should be 60 this week,then hoping for 70 next week then its taper time again,body won't have a clue what I'm doing.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - LOL at the hangover.  Sad occasion but good that you were able to catch up with your childhood friends.

Ian - that should work well for you. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, yes, the only ones that are included with my membership are "virtual classes".  So it's a large screen with a projector, and decent sound system.  That suits me really as if I was with a "real" instructor, I would probably feel bad about sticking to an easy HR and feel I should push it all the time!  Glad the funeral went as well as it could.

Shades, it makes sense to do what Boston have done.  What do you think the prospects of our smaller, club events are here?  I'm thinking of things like Bideford Half usually in March or Looe 10 in Feb.  I wonder what they're thinking - they probably want to avoid expenses don't they, in case of enforced cancellations?  Will they want to set up a socially distances race, potentially with reduced numbers?  Currently the main races I've seen locally are put on by companies rather than clubs.  I much prefer a club race, but they must be wondering what to do.  Trotters races don't start until June with the DD so possibly we've got a a bit more time to figure things out and see what happens with the virus, but even Chair will have to get his order in for medals and t-shirts etc in advance.
  • Shades, she was 92 and lived a full and active life with lots of travel. I think we can all aspire to that.

I suspect many of the big Spring races will not happen - I might have to turn my attention to ultras a bit sooner than I was planning since they seem to be going ahead in a lot of cases.
    I have my 10K next weekend, of course...sod's law dictates that the trains are not running on Sunday so I'll have to go a long roundabout route on the tube (I did think about running there but it's a 8 miles by the most direct route...I don't think I'd have the best race after that. I've done a decent parkrun off a 4 mile warm-up but I think that's about my limit).

In other news, Garmin is uploading again after a reboot (turns out I needed to power it off and on while it was plugged into the PC).
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I don't know re events.   Bideford is quite a big event so they might hold off.   I've never done Looe 10 so don't know.   ARC is permitting events as long as they do a Covid risk assessment and stick to government guidelines.   DD could work well like that but it would be down to the local authority, does Princetown want to be 'full' for the weekend with runners etc.   The main problems now seem to be in getting permission from the local authorities.

I think a lot of local races will wait and see before making plans, most having had a financial hit this year and can't afford for that to happen again.

I'm quite happy to have a 2020 medal and shirt for DD 2021 rather than need the lead time for ordering and the additional cost.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Our club have sent up an event at Haydock racecourse,6 and 4 person relay,amazing response,we have had 250 teams enter with a big waiting list,but again it is a closed off environment which seems to be the biggest way forward.
    OH might be doing a 10k the week before Elvington,I wont do the 10 but might do the 5k,that should be ok?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, I agree - I think some will hold off.  Where that leaves me for the Club Champs organising I'm not quite sure....  Usually in November, I have a very, very good idea of what races are happening, certainly in the first 6 months of the year, as many established races choose the same weekend each year even if they've not opened entries at that time.  But I'm not sure if that will be the case next year.  And even if they do ahead but with reduced numbers, is that then "fair" to include it in a club competition if members aren't more or less guaranteed of getting a place?  I don't know.  
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    X-Post Ian.  That's great your club are doing that.  I know our final race of the year in November is still in the balance.  We've got permission from the race HQ to hold it (a school) but I think we're making a decision this month about what to do, and entries aren't open yet.  That's our 5th of five annual races, and the other 4 have all been cancelled.  As you said, closed circuit events seem more likely at the moment.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Just to illustrate what I was on about, I've just seen The Grizzly in March has been pulled.  It's a very popular event locally, put on by Axe Valley Runners.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - as you say enclosed environments are the best way forward right now.   I think relays are really popular now as runners missing the usual activities of their running clubs and a chance to feel part of a team/group.

Big G - I think for now you have to shelve any plans of the Club Championships.

The Grizzly has a huge crowd following, so many staying for the weekend as a big social weekend so that may be part of the reason that it's postponed.   Isn't it held at a Holiday Camp?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I don't know too much about The Grizzly.  I believe it gets oversubscribed, but it's never really appealed to me as it's off-road and a strange distance, but less than a marathon so no good for 100MC.  I know it's very popular though.  Changing the subject but Kris W the postie is doing TP100 this weekend.  He's been doing a lot of training so I imagine he's hoping to do well if all goes to plan.
  • Hi All. Last day of hols for us in Southwold and it’s been great to get out of London especially as we’ve had some tough times with OH’s health recently. Managed to get out running 3x since we got here last weekend which is more than I thought and on some beautiful routes along the beach and in the surrounding countryside. Am now really looking forward to this 10k on Sunday, having not been bothered at all previously. Think I’ll be happy with a 5 min PB so 45 mins which will highlight progress under MAF, although admittedly my only other 10k race was in tough conditions so maybe I can do better than that. I’ve also said sod it and ordered myself some Hoka Carbon Xs 😬. I’m sure it’s complete overkill for a newb like myself and I’m not even sure how I’ll get on with neutral shoes but I don’t care. I love my Arahis and want more hoka basically. I think I get on well with them as played a lot of basketball when I was younger so prefer maximalist shoes. Having signed up for this feb half I am on the lookout for one this October/November. Runthrough have the Olympic Park one on November 1st which I like the look of as it’s flat and with no loops. Bit of a hassle as it’s across London from me but beggars can’t be choosers in the world we currently live in.