Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    20 miles today,don't quite know what happened but it was very fast,not intentional but maybe the lesser mileage in the last few weeks helped,averaged 7:22m,target MP is 6:52,brings up 58 for the week so happy with that.
    I noticed last week it still said licence applied for on my race website so I dropped them an email,they said can't see any issues and should be ok soon,checked today and it is on there now.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I don't think RunBritain have their full staffing levels back at work.   I regularly check the marathon listing and your marathon has only just appeared on RunBritain's website, so that might be why it still says licence applied for.   During lockdown no new marathons appeared on the list.  They could also be waiting for the course to be officially measured.

So I wouldn't worry about that.   The event is new and arranged without much notice.

Good speedy run from you, so that taper worked.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Ian: that's a great run. 

I've doomed myself and entered a trail race on 19th September. I'm fully expecting it to be cancelled but if not, I'll be running 21km "Smokkelaarstrail"
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Emmy - more chance of your race going ahead as it's trail.    I didn't realise you were so averse to trail, you must have done a lot of off road marathons.

6 miles this morning, out just before 5 a.m. first run in the dark for 6 months.   My Pilates class has changed time to two hours earlier, due to the schools being back and they have use of the leisure centre.   I thought I might switch to the Tuesday class instead but that one is even earlier than Monday's, don't really want to give up Pilates.
    So shorter and earlier run today, lovely and quiet on the roads and good running weather although it's supposed to be 100% humidity, it's not really noticeable as it's cool.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Garmin Connect not working for me this morning, it's crap.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Another 20-miles at MAF on the bike this morning and I'm booked to go along to the Tri club this evening on the same track.  Tonight's session is a choice of a brick session to practice transitions from cycling to running, or more of a social ride around the velopark, so I'll be doing the latter :)   

It's a rest day on the TdF today but I'm up to speed with what has been going on and I'm really enjoying it so far.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Shades: I had the same this morning for Garmin connect. Took an hour to upload my run. 

I love trail! But my luck for races this year has been awful so I don't trust any event I'll now enter. 

5miles with the dogs this morning. They finally got their bums into gear and enjoyed the run. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Regarding MAF on the bike I haven't really found anything conclusive in terms of what the HR should be.

In Maffetone's book he says that the MAF rate is the same no matter what the sport is (which kind of makes sense to me as I suppose the heart doesn't know or care what sport you're doing?), but some sports will be more difficult to get up to MAF than others.  He talks about the perceived effort maybe harder in certain sports, but if the HR is where it needs to be, it's okay.  I've seen videos where he talks about MAF-10 or MAF-20, but I think that's only if people are struggling to get their HR up to MAF, which I'm not really.  I think swimming maybe harder to get the HR up to MAF?  Today's 20 and yesterday's 30 miler were an average of 137 and 135 and certainly on the track it felt really comfortable at that effort.  It's harder keeping it at that on the road as HR is higher (actually I don't really monitor it there as I need to keep my eyes on the road), presumably at least partly because I'm much more alert with the traffic, plus there are undulations whereas the track is flat.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - you seem fairly upbeat, so obviously being able to cycle is keeping you sane while injured.

I've got 2 days highlights of the TdeF to watch, busy weekend as I was watching athletics and triathlon too.  I'm loving the TdeF though.

Emmy - Garmin Connect is working now. My phone app said there was no synced device and the watch said switch on mobile app, grrrrr  :#   But it didn't work when I plugged watch into PC either.   Anyway it's working now.

Hopefully you'll be OK for the trail event, are they being cancelled as with the road events?

Pilates was really good.  Working on glutes today all slow and powerful stuff, I could feel my glutes just walking home.

Went to the library on the way home, almost back to normal in there now thankfully.    Then a neighbour had a bucket of windfalls out FOC so have an apple crumble planned for the end of the week's increase in carbs  :) as prep for my marathon.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - zones for HR training are more sports specific.   But doing cycling at MAF HR won't replace running at MAF HR as with running you want the mitochondria adaptations for running muscles but at least you can make an effort to maintain aerobic fitness.

Do you feel ready to have a run yet? 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah, I know it's not really going to help my running, but if I can maintain some fitness as you said and keep the weight off that is at least something.  I do wish I'd got my bike sorted out 2 or 3 weeks ago as I did next to nothing exercise-wise for a couple of weeks, but never mind as it's sorted now.  I'm very lucky to have the track just a short ride away.  I am safe/confident cycling on the roads, but with the traffic it's always a worry, so the track is perfect from that point of view.

Yes, I'm doing okay and quite upbeat at the moment.  I really want to get out for a run though but I'm holding off and it'll be Thursday for a short run if the achilles is still feeling okay both tomorrow and Wednesday.  I do feel I could actually run and I'm very tempted.  It maybe because I'm hyper-aware but it's not totally pain free.  There's a slight ache there first thing in the morning and at random points in the day, but I think that's pretty much nearly always there.  Or is it?!  Believe it or not, I can't really remember as I think it's just something I kind of live with most of the time, but I'm more aware of it now.  But hopefully it'll be Thursday for a short run, all being well, as that will then be 5 pretty clear days, certainly compared to the pain I was having a couple of weeks ago anyway.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Sorry, another post from me.  I mentioned the other day that I got my Nike refund.  Well, when I checked my account, I only got a refund for one pair, even though the refund email and amount said it was for both pairs.  I had to send both pairs back in the same parcel, so I'm afraid my thoughts turned to wondering if someone at Nike had pinched a pair, and I was wondering how I'd prove that I'd sent back both pairs....  I feel bad for thinking that now as I got on to them today via online chat, they were very good/efficient, they refunded the second pair and gave me a 10% discount code as an apology.  Not sure why I only got the one refund initially, but it's definitely sorted now.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I think you're handling your injury very well.  Is it just one achilles or both, tendonitis?

I know you've had the injury before but it's so easy to forget the details as time passes.

I guess Plym Trail is a possible DNS for you.  :(

That's good service from Nike, I suppose credits are dealt with manually and mistakes happen easily.

Talking of refunds I finally got round to cancelling my hotel in Frankfurt and refund received promptly.   I also made a £5 profit due to changes in exchange rate of the euro.   :)

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, it’s a possible DNS at Plym Trail unfortunately.

I haven’t seen a physio but I think it’s tendonitis.  The worst side was the right side in terms of the intermittent stabbing pain a couple of weeks ago. The left side had some discomfort as well, although in terms of the stretches/exercises I feel the left side is the weakest. 

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - you don't sound terribly disappointed but of course I know you'd  never wish to be injured.

Do you maybe favour the other leg when feeling some discomfort and that sets off more pain.   I'm sure we all have one side/leg stronger than the other.
  • Hi everyone, hope you've all been well and corona free over the last couple of months!

Apologies that I dropped away, work has been mental (which is a good thing), and it seemed everyone was doing slightly different training to me so I just plodded on with my plan.

Glad to announce that I did finish the plan and ran my own marathon on Saturday which included crossing busy roads etc as well as a few funny moments I would never have got in an official event.

I managed it in 3:48:48, so I was absolutely delighted.

I crashed into the wall with 6 miles to go and my mate turned up un announced and accompanied me round the last wee bit which I was very grateful for.

Just a massive thanks to everyone in this group, your advice to me back at the start and throughout was really brilliant and I'm not sure I could have achieved the same results without it!

I managed to raise just under 2k for charity too which was a lovely bonus :)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cozy - congratulations, that's a fabulous time to run a marathon on your own, road crossings as well.   That's mental strength that not many runners could ever do.

A sizeable amount of fund raising too, I know that was important to you.

Hope the legs are OK and you're recovering well.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - sorry to hear Valencia marathon is cancelled, no surprise I guess, but another disappointment.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done Cozy, that's a great time for a solo marathon!

I went and did the Torbay Tri bike session tonight.  Crikey, those chaps are quick!  Enjoyable though.
  • rcouture that’s a brilliant PB and pretty even splits! Racing whatever the distance is good prep for the big day, get you used to the adrenaline and also hope prepare you not to go off too fast on marathon day! We all do at some point! I’ve been running for 11 years (not much in last 2 years unfortunately) I finally joined ware joggers just over 2 years ago.  It’s a great outlet and you can use it as much or as little as you like. 

Ian dorney lake only got their licence recently too, spose there is a few more boxes to tick at the moment

Big G that’s a super effort from your pal, everyone thinks the navigation is easy on Thames path but miss a bridge and you find yourself with extra distance, think Reading causes a few issues with navigation too. well done on getting out on the bike.

emmy Great photos, think I put my tiredness down to be overweight and pushing too much with the running.  

Shades our gym classes go on about 10pm and go within seconds.  The waitlist are about 15 and don’t clear that often.  Think the studios are quite small too but not too fussed at the moment as once back to work will cancel.

cal well done on the 20 miler! My pal who doing DL too done a 22 miler... I miss those distances!  Aim at the moment is to get round sub 5 hours but think it could be 30 mins either way. soz to hear about Valencia.

cozy well done on so many fronts, the training, the effort running the distance solo and also the fundraising.  That must have been tough those final miles after hitting the wall.

4 miles earlier... not overly concerned at the moment but where my scar is on my knee is feels badly bruised.  May take some anti inflammatory if it continues 

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cozy-Great result all round,well done.
    6 miles after work,wasn't sure I'd fit a run in but glad I did.1 advantage with working is that it gives my legs time to warm up,this morning they felt tender but after 10hrs work they were relaxed  and good to go,whereas if I'd been off and sitting around they may not have loosened up 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    I just read that Parkrun have said they are starting in England at the end of October with minimal changes,if that is true then there is no reason for local authorities to stop any races going ahead.
  • Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Me either, alehouse.  It'll be interesting to see what happens with that as I really wasn't expecting to see parkrun back until next year.
  • Shades, I didn't see Valencia was cancelled - I've not had an email - but eh, not surprised. Well no hassle really, unlike the others I'd not booked flights or hotel.
    I'm cheered up by the parkrun news though I wonder how it's going to work, honestly. My local, Tooting, gets 600 on narrow paths so I can't see how social distancing will be possible without a huge impact on people's times. I'm not going to be too pleased if we're retricted to our home run, but of course, if that's the case, I could change my home run to another parkrun. Most of the ones within running distance are busy but not as congested as Tooting.

Cozy, great job!  That's a quick time under the conditions.

Rob, hope the knee is OK. I've got my share of niggles which I'm doing my best to manage.

On that subject, I've decided to take a second rest day today. Monday's always a rest day unless for some reason I don't do a long run on the Sunday. I actually slept poorly on Sunday night (a bit like when I don't sleep well after a marathon) and spent yesterday feeling run down and tired. I was almost starting to worry I might be coming down with Corona (maranoia takes a sinister turn in these times!) but then reminded myself I often feel like this when I'm deep into marathon training.
    Another disturbed night last night but I do feel better this morning. However, my groin and achilles are both pretty sore - I actually got out of bed at 2:30am to foam roll, so I think some gentle walking and rehab will do me more good than a recovery run.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Cal, I've just been having a chat with the run director of Teignmouth.  He said he was told about 6 weeks ago of the date and he seems hopeful.  He says it's basically down to the individuals to maintain the distancing, which as you say will be problematic on narrow courses.  As it happens, my local one will probably be okay in that regard and I'm not bothered about official times.  If I'm "racing it" I'll try and start nearer the front, but if not I'm not bothered about times, personally.  One issue is that they need more volunteers - I think it's something like they recommend 1:50 scanners:runners to help avoid queuing at the finish.  I wonder if the phone app works in the rain (wet fingers on a phone screen is problematic)!  I hope it works as there will be no back up of the traditional scanners.  

Regarding travel, I don't think that they will be blocking/deleting tourist runs but they'd prefer people to stay local.  With you though what is "local" when you've got so many fairly close by!  For me, I've got one 1.5 miles away and if I wanted to do one that is about 10 miles away for a change, then personally I would have no issues doing that.  Plymouth are opening up soon and again if I wanted to do it one week I would make the trip down (approx 30 miles) and combine it with a day out down there.  But I'd imagine most of my runs would be at my home run, as they were pre-covid.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G- I don't understand how parkrun can say it's down to 1000+ individuals to distance over,usually a 2.5k loop,yet a race with 1000 spread over 26 miles can't go ahead.Would love to see a councils justification in allowing this but refusing a race of similar numbers.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, yeah, that's what I don't get.  It doesn't make sense with the current guidelines.  Although parkrun have said this, I can't help wondering if councils will effectively block individual events.  But I suppose things are changing all the time, but the timing of this with cases rising (although death rates very low), students going back, schools open, people going back to work and winter coming does seem a bit odd to me.  I love parkrun and I hope they can make it work, but I'm not sure with the current guidelines.  My Teignmouth mate I think is more concerned about his volunteers as some are vulnerable; I wonder if some events may not be able to go ahead because of shortages of volunteers?  It's certainly what we had in Trotters as we so far haven't been able to resume training to full capacity due to lack of people wanting/willing to lead sessions.  I think the demand is there from the general membership, but at the time we couldn't get the required coaches/leaders to come forward.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I think the TdeF brings out the cyclists, I always notice an increase.   Maybe that's why the speedy guys were out yesterday when you went for your session.

That is bad news expecting parkrun runners to maintain SD, it just won't happen.  They need to have rules they enforce, that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.   

Robert - our leisure centre are putting on more classes when they can but the need for SD limits the numbers.  We have extra gym sessions now too, latest in the morning is now 11:30 which suits me better than the 10:30 before.  The gym reopens in later afternoon and evening but I like to get all my workouts done pre lunch  :)

Have you done something to irritate the scar on your leg?

Alehouse - thanks for the link.   I'm not sure what to think either, as usual far too wordy and too much self importance waffle.   I think he should have checked the last few days test data and reworded some of that.   I too struggle to see how councils can support reopening parkrun right now, encouraging uncontrollable numbers of runners turning up and mixing.

Cal - here's the link I read, from a Fetchie that lives in Spain.    https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2020/09/07/valencias-40th-anniversary-marathon-cancelled-due-to-covid-19/

Sorry to hear about the poor sleep for a couple of nights.   It must be bad if you get up at 2:30 to foam roll. 😲

6 miles again today and a nice morning too.   Gym today, a possibility that I might be able to get on the body analyser and see where I'm at on my fat/muscle journey.  

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - your marathon at Elvington now has a licence number on RunBritain website  :)

https://www.runbritain.com/races?&distance=M