Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, it’s similar here that the RD of the 10K I’ve entered don’t know what’s going on, and are hoping to get clarity soon. 
  • Busy day and have the in-laws staying so only managed to pop out for 4 miles to try out the new carbon X. The shoes are so stiff with the carbon plating but once on they felt really fast and light at 9:37ish min/mile which seems about my best now under MAF. No adverse effects from the fact they aren’t stability shoes so will take them out again once to confirm then probably order the Clifton 7s. They’ll be my daily trainers and I’ll save the X for tempo, a long run every now and again and races. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - I hope the new restrictions re Covid don't affect your wedding plans.

Ian - can never have too many pairs of shoes  ;)

Ian/Big G - well let's hope this time EA can be clear and concise in their guidelines. I've skimmed through this but looks like there should be no change for gyms and running

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-meeting-with-others-safely-social-distancing/coronavirus-covid-19-meeting-with-others-safely-social-distancing

Rcouture - I've heard that the carbon plate in a shoe takes a bit of getting used to.    You would be more likely to need stability/support shoes when running longer distances when the legs start to tire.    I was reading the shoe reviews in RW last night, usual good review for the Cliftons but I don't think there's much if any difference in the Clifton 7's from the Clifton 6's.   Of course it's entirely up to you how you spend your money but you'd probably pick up a pair of 6's for £30 or£40 less than the 7's.   Unless you're buying the Clifton Edge which is a new shoe, for heel strikers only.   

6 miles today, 4 miles flat 2 miles hilly.   Saw a beautiful fox which might explain why I didn't see any rabbits today, usually on this route I see rabbits everywhere.

Gym later

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    The folks running the Wrexham elite mara say that they expect any races with sn approved covid plan in place to continue (run cheshire), they dont have full sugn off for wrexham yet though.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    TR - Yes, I'm hoping that's right and there should be no change for events.    If so how many pages do you think EA will write that will actually mean 'no change'  ;)   And it will probably take them a week to write it too.  🤣
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Apparently Sport England are fine with parkrun's plans....doesn't make sense to me in relation to normal races having to social distance and start in waves etc.  Parkrun is mentioned about half way down this in the "Group Sizes" section.  What is the driver for this - is it at least partly about about money/finances, I wonder?
    https://www.sportengland.org/how-we-can-help/coronavirus  

Anyway, for what it's worth, British Triathlon came out yesterday and said there's no change for  them in terms of training.  Hopefully EA act quickly in a similar way.  
    https://www.britishtriathlon.org/news/british-triathlon-pleased-to-confirm-multisport-can-continue_14295

As for me, I got up early as if to run and was sitting there drinking my coffee whilst prodding my achilles and doing my stretches etc.  I realised that if I didn't go out today I didn't know what I was actually waiting for pain-wise, so went out for a 4.5-miler and promised myself I'd stop my watch and walk back if I felt that stabbing pain (I was expecting some mild-discomfort but told myself I'd progress through that, but the stabbing pain is more of a concern to me).

I went out in the New Balance and they performed well so I'm keeping them.  I chose a loop that is fairly flat - one or two inclines/declines, but I can't really get pancake flat around here unless I want to do laps of the green.  Achilles seemed fine on the flat, but there was some mild discomfort on one of the downhills, but when I went back to the flat again I was okay.  So I completed the run, which is something, and it was nice to be out.  If anything, the discomfort felt more in the ankle that the achilles today, but I know it's all related/connected.

I'm just going to have to play it by ear over the coming days, but I'm feeling cautiously hopeful at the moment.  It may mean that I don't do my hilly routes for some times, but that's fine.  I also very much doubt I'll do any doubles, and I'll just have to build it up slowly and see how it goes, and continue with the strengthening I'm doing.  As I type this, I'm still hopeful for at least toeing the start line at the 10K (presuming it goes ahead), so that is something to look forward to.  But Shades, I'm definitely a DNS at the marathon this weekend - I think the downhill is a concern, but it's probably generally just not advisable at the moment.  I've asked Davey if he has a waiting list, and if he has I'll get rid of my place, even if it's FOC.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    I'm hoping that's right too, given I've a marathon and an ultra booked!

Cathryn gave me a good prod and pull around yesterday which seemed to help a bit - I was right about it being tight QLs, she said they were rock hard.  She was also quite interested in my left piriformis, so gave that a bit of attention too. She didn't want paying but I took her a bottle of wine as a thankyou.

I was still pretty stiff this morning and had a bit of a roll before I went out. It felt better than yesterday but it still felt like running with a stitch in my back ribs. However, I opted for a fartlek and after a couple of faster efforts, it got better. Maybe the heavier breathing helped, I don't know.
    Traffic is still bad even though I went out at 6. I opted for a route that crossed a couple of busy roads and had to stop a couple of times. As I was doing a fairly informal fartlek-type run I tried not to let that bother me.
    When I started running at 16 I always, always ran all the way and any stopping would be seen as a failure (by me). It's really taken me until now to get out of that mindset.
    Anyway, I ran down to Tooting to do that little footpath I found last week. The path leads off a road loop - it's a long oval, a bit longer than a track (about a third of a mile, I measured it today). Last week I just ran up once side to the footpath entrance but I decided to do a couple of laps today to see if there was a Strava segment there. And yes there was, and I now have the female course record. :D Can't beat an unexpected Strava crown, can you?
    I pushed a bit on the footpath (a little under 10 min/mi), then after dealing with a couple of busy road crossings, ran through Wandle Park and then north on the trail. I did the section between the park and Plough Lane around 9:40ish, then once I got over Plough Lane I did the section to Earlsfied at around 10K pace.
    Moderate push up the Magdalen Road hill (10ish) and over to Wandsworth Common. I was going to do a little sprint on one of the paths but immediately put my foot in a pothole. I was very lucky not to hurt myself. I thought better of the sprint but did another path at a moderate pace before heading home.

Tomorrow is a rest/gym day (I think I will stick with upper body as I don't want to tire my legs out) and then I'll do a shortish run and maybe some strides on the Saturday.
  • Cal - Plenty of stopping and walking during an ultra, so good you are used to it now!!
    Shades - Looks like weddings aren't affected, but we did have a shock when the headline came out!!

10 miles today with 4 at MP/tempo, which came out to 6:38/47/56/48, first mile too fast (as usual!), but then settled down to an easier pace.  
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - that's good news about the wedding.   I suppose the only restrictions would be that your guests can't congregate before and after the wedding in groups larger than 6as they'll obviously be travelling down to the SW.    Will limit your respective stag and hen do's too.

Your paces are still up there.    :)

Big G - I too struggle to see how parkrun can operate in a Covid secure environment without registering the participants before the start, strictly limiting numbers and keeping them all distanced, we'll see.    I really don't want shambolic parkruns to destroy what running events we can participate in as it would be so damaging for the sport. 

That's good news on your little run today and that you are pleased with the 1080's.    I'm not surprised you will be a DNS for Sunday.    I would have tried to talk you out of it closer to the time as I know when I had a calf niggle the long gentle downhill resulted in severe calf pain and I think the effect would be the same on your achilles.

Cal - I've noticed here that the amount of morning traffic has almost doubled and it's too early in the day to be school related.    I suppose it's good that the world is getting back to work, but less pleasant for us running.

Have you a target time in mind for your 10k this weekend?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Big G.   Thankfully it is clear and concise.   :)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I got rid of my Plym Trail place to someone who is doing Satruday's event (Davey permitted the transfer), so I'm definitely not doing it.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's good that someone else can make use of your place at Plym Trail.   You can just focus on your recovery and prepare for your 10k.

Think of me when I'm slogging out the last 6 miles looking ahead hoping that finally I will see the final tunnel.😭
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah, that final drag up is the worst bit, but then it gets steeper after the tunnel!

I went and did 20 miles on the bike this afternoon, mainly around the Velopark again, and had a nice ride out. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Good you can start running again,think you have definitely made the right decision about plym trail.
    Good news on the EA statement,while it was frustrating with all the earlier hoops they made races jump through,it may now be helping as government see them being covid secure.
    Didn't think I'd have time for a run today but managed a quick 6 miles.
  • Big G - That’s a shame you won’t be able to test out MAF progress on this marathon. Have you got any other races booked aside from the 10k?

7 miles at lunchtime for me on usual route. Keeping things easy at 9:40min/mi as still nursing weird abdominal soreness from the 10k. Was lovely out there. I have been roped into running with some folks from work tomorrow and though they say it will be at ‘gentle’ pace, I’m sure it won’t be at my MAF. Not a big deal as a one-off, especially as I’ve engineered it so we are doing my usual route. 

I’d really like to know whether this Kingston half on the 11th or October is being run but there continues to be radio silence from the organiser Quicksilver which is annoying one month out. 
  • Rcouture - I'm pretty sure they said Kingston was cancelled. Runthrough is doing one on Wimbledon Common on that date if you need an alternative - not a PB course, mind you.
  • Cal - Oh right. Their website says a decision is still pending and their twitter account doesn’t mention a cancellation so I was still hoping. Think I’ll just stick to Olympic park on Nov 1st. Yes I’ve been considering Wimbledon common and I’ve done it before so would probably just run it leisurely as a training run especially since as you say it’s more of a trail half. Are you thinking of doing it? They had a great finishers T-shirt!
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

A busy week here. Managed to get out with the dogs this morning and ran a 4.14km with them chasing my husband! 😂

Ian: great work fitting in the run! 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - was a good idea having membership to the Tri club, has really come in use for you now.

Ian - any change in the rules would have meant London would be cancelled and I think there's a lot of pressure for that to go ahead, so we're fortunate the change in groups will be implemented before London.

Rcouture - that seems a long time now to have any sort of DOMS after your 10k.   Perhaps you pulled/tweaked an ab muscle not realising at the time what you'd done.

Hope the 'work' run goes well, I bet you're the fittest of them all.

I've noticed that some race (and race listings) websites are not being updated when events are cancelled/postponed so it's hard to find accurate info about if an event is on or not.

6 miles again today, really chilly.    Had a winter top on but could have done with a warmer one.   Lots of traffic today.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - xpost, interesting bit of speed training there chasing your husband  :)
  • Shades - We hadn't planned stag/hen do's, but had thought about a large meal instead, which is now out of the question. Yes, we have had to split tables down to households etc, but at least we can still go ahead with our amended guest list. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Rcouture, I do have a couple of other marathons booked but they will very much depend on the achilles.  I do keep a close eye on the local race diaries so I may book into other, shorter races if something catches my eye.  For example, I think there is a 5-mile race series coming soon over the winter months which I was looking at, but again it'll depend on how the injury goes. 

Another 20 on the bike today, nice and steady. We’re going out with Dad for lunch later but all being well I’ll get a short run in later on. 
  • Rcouture, not that one as I have Dorney on the 4th. Thinking about Olympic Park though - I guess it depends how quickly I recover. I did it last year and the course is nuts (really wiggly) but I got a PB on the day, it was my first sub-1:55. (I did beat it a week later, mind you). It's not as flat as you'd think, either - not hilly, but there are definite inclines and declines. Good medal and shirt though.
    I did the Wimbledon half back in 2015 - it was only my second half, and first after a four year gap (due to injuries and parents dying). I actually got a PB that day but I only had the one, not great half marathon before that. It kicked off the year where I ran eight half marathons and quite a few shorter races and my PB came down by 10 minutes between that race and the Autumn. The RT medals were much smaller back then and the shirts were cotton rather than tech. I'd like to have another go at it but it'll have to be another time.

I could be wrong about Kingston but I thought it was the council who said no to it. I see they've suspended entries but it might be that they are still trying to get it to go ahead.

Gym today - did some upper body. First time for two week so hope I'm not too sore tomorrow.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Shades: yes! B was most amused. 

Cal: how is your arm after the fall?
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steve-Hope the Birmingham lockdown isn't going to cause you issues.
    Usual after work run,off for 2 weeks now,apart from a couple of hours sunday.
  • Emmy, it's better, left hand too. I can only feel a little tenderness if I really press on the bone. I must have bruised the bone pretty badly.
    I did do an upper body workout at the gym yesterday and had no issues.

So I've hit a problem with my 10K tomorrow. My race pack failed to arrive - not sure what happened as they did send it - a pack of face masks I ordered online has also failed to arrive. I contacted the race organiser and I can pick up a replacement from the race village, but I need to get there earlier, and (this being a typical Sunday in London) there are no trains and the tubes don't arrive early enough. Looks like the only way I can get there is to run the 8 miles there (unless I want to spring for a taxi, which I don't as I still don't have any tenants). And that means setting out at 5:30 in the morning. Ugh. Really not ideal.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-is there a race facebook group or something you could ask for a lift from? Or is there any transport from somewhere closer,so you only need to run there?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - well in the view of what restrictions there have been then that's not too bad really.

Ian - I hardly dare ask, but are you going away on holiday :)

Cal - oh no, crazy that you live in London and can't get there at the time you need.   It's not that easy now to blag a lift as many still sticking to SD rules.   Maybe another club member could pick up your pack, with an email from you authorising them to do so, then meet them at the start.

Rest day for me today, proper rest day, no running, no gym as race tomorrow.   
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-We are indeed,this holiday was originally LA/Vegas,then fuerteventura,currently Sardinia,but we will be making a final decision Monday to see Italy's numbers and may switch to Turkey as they are low.