Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - it's unlikely I'd make a miraculous recovery by tomorrow.  If we were still having warm weather I maybe would not have DNS'd so hastily.  Forecast has worsened for tomorrow with up to 40mph gusts NNW, that will be a cold run.   I'm only sitting on the sofa now with the heating on and feeling chilled.  I don't like racing in the cold, I don't usually race in the depths of winter.

I've got a half marathon in 3 weeks time, that's it for the year.
    I have entered an ultra in November but it's in Wales and I can't see that going ahead.   It's in Llanelli which today has gone into lockdown.

It's your MAF training that will give you a good half PB, not any more speedwork than you're already doing.   There is no need to run longer than 15 either.   Your race training is just about done now.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    I live 30 mins away Shades and im in 2 minds, its going to be such a weather beating. Sods law as its rarely NW down here. Its difficult to know how much slower it'll be but theres about 1m each lap going NW, although you will get a bit back running south.

I saw Russell Bentley saying that Wrexham has been cancelled.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Shades: sorry to hear about your cold and the DNS. I think you've made the right decision. I thought parkruns decision was very hasty. 

BigG: hope you have a great time and good weather. 

Ian: I don't think VLM has much luck at the moment. I bet they'll have an epic number of GFAs. 

Cal: good news about the timing change for you. 

I've had a tough week as Noah has been sick and I've not slept enough. Went out this morning with a "we'll see" mentality and managed the entire 23k at marathon pace (ish). Was really surprised but felt good throughout. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    TR - it must be looking pretty awful weather wise if you're considering a DNS as you live so close.   I've never run at this venue but I've done enough on similar courses, airfields etc to know that the wind is twice as strong as for instance a village just a mile away.  I saw this morning that gusts predicted at 40 mph.  If it adds a minute to each lap for you that would be nearer 2 minutes per lap for me, that would mean 20ish minutes to add to my race time, I'd be very disappointed with that.

Good luck if you decide to run.   You can have my flapjack if you can blag it from the marshall at the finish.

No surprise about Wrexham, very disappointing for the runners.

Emmy - exhausting week for you.   Well done on today's run.

Hope Noah has recovered now.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Shades: I didn't think of the additional time like that. I hate airfields for that reason! He's not got a fever anymore but is still exceptionally grumpy!
  • Options
    Emmy that's a great run!

Shades, sorry you're still poorly, but the DNS is a wise decision. I had to do the same for Valencia (I seem to be cursed when it comes to that race, what with this year's cancellation).

Still feeling a bit sluggish. I was going to do a hard 5K today as I usually do parkrun a week before a marathon, but it was cold and windy and I decided I'd rather have a rest instead. :D
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Shades - i remember doing the 10k there one time and struggling into the wind, and it wasnt even scheduled to be particularly windy. It was northerly that day too. Its impossible to know how much you lose as its not an even effort.
    I'll start it, but sack it off if its too silly. Will be tempting as you run past the exit to the race car park at the end of every lap.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Just a quick drop in to say "hi".   Sorry to hear you're not feeling great, Shades :( 

We've had a nice couple of days and yesterday went to Saunton Sands which is a 3+ mile long, sandy beach.  It was virtually empty for most of it, except for some dog walkers.  At the main end of the beach there were some kite surfers, and also a brilliant cafe/restaurant serving decent pub food, so we ate there.  Today we drove back, and stopped off at a lake that is approx 8.5 miles long, and walked around that, stopping for coffee etc, before driving home.  We've done the food shop, but we may well get a takeaway tonight before OH is back at work tomorrow.  She's a relaxing time and has managed to switch off, which was the main thing.

Of our break, Lynton/Lymouth were the busiest but all the other things we've done have been incredibly easy to social distance, and we've had a good time.   I think the main pain is having to book in advance at places to guarantee a seat at a table, which meant just being a bit more organised than usual (usually we just walk in to somewhere that takes our fancy), but it was fine.  Weather has been great for us too - there were a couple of showers, but we dodged those, so it all worked out well.

Zero running done though, so need to get back into the routine of running/cycling etc.  Achilles broadly okay, but it hurt the most when driving.  I didn't do all that much driving, at most 1hr at a time, but it was sore during and after a drive, so it's plainly still not 100%.

Some pics:
    1xWatersmeet (near Lynmouth), 2xSaunton Sands, 2xWimbleball Lake (including the dam).

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Great pictures Big G. Sounds like a lovely break for you both. 

TR: good luck tomorrow. Hope that it's not too windy
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-There definitely isn't anything up to now about being in a race,but will check again closer to the time.
    Rcouture- HM is very aerobic in nature so your easy training will have far more benefit than speed work.
    Big G-Glad you and OH had a nice break,hopefully she is refreshed.
    Easy 8 after work,been a hectic couple of days so nice to get out in the wind 
    Race numbers arrived for London and Elvington today,along with a snood from Elvington.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I'm sure the rest is what you needed yesterday.

TR - good luck today, hope you can resist the lure of the car and an early trip home.

Big G - glad you and OH had a lovely time, great photos.   Definitely no problems social distancing there.  Annoying about the achilles not being quite right yet and giving some gip after driving.  If I have a calf niggle I move the seat one notch further forward and find that takes the pressure off a bit.

Ian - no, I couldn't see anything either about races not being valid.
    That's very promising you've got your Elvington race number.   Snoods are good race mementos, very useful.

Had a better night, so think I'm on the mend, RHR down to 57 today.   Still feeling tired and lethargic though.   Another lazy day for me I think.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, very easy to social distance where we went.  Saunton Sands was especially great.  I'm not sure if you know it but from the road to the beach there are massive sand dunes and there was literally no one on those, and then we walked over the ridge to see the beach for the first time and it was virtually empty.  It was a great day out.

Achilles is definitely grumpy :(  I had a virtual class booked but I've cancelled it as worryingly the achilles was visibly swollen last night and it still is this morning.  I was going to walk to work with OH but decided to stay indoors and try and rest it a bit.  I expect I may catchup on the world champs cycling as I haven't really seen any of the results.  Definitely glad I didn't enter the 10k this morning in Exmouth, as I would have been a DNS.

I'm a bit confused about the sending out of the London numbers....I suppose if you see others out wearing them you'll know those people are doing the event too, but I won't be wearing mine.  Still no real news about when the app is going to be available, which is cutting it a bit fine I think!  I wonder if the developers are burning the candle at both ends trying to get the thing to work!?  I had assumed that the app was to be used to track the runs for evidence, but I did see something in a recent newsletter that GPS/Strava can also be used for evidence.  The bit where they say "as a backup" reads to me like they think there may be issues with the app, but maybe I'm reading into things that aren't there!!
    "As well as tracking your run on the Official Virgin Money London Marathon App powered by TCS, we recommend you also track your 26.2 miles on a secondary device, such as a GPS watch or Strava, as a back-up option on Marathon Day. You will be able to upload the evidence from your secondary device through the Official App".

I was supposed to be doing Warsaw marathon today....as far as I am aware the race is going ahead still but not in its original format.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Big G: it wouldnt surprise me but that's a standard. All of the apps here for Amsterdam/Eindhoven are the same. Always Carry a back up etc. 

Sorry to hear about your grumpy Achilles. 

Shades: hope you can enjoy a relaxing day! 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Emmy, ah, fair enough then.  I haven't had to use a race app before to track a run, so probably it's all in hand then.  TCS are a massive company aren't they, and involved with New York, so I'm sure they've got it all sorted.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Big G: Yep, they're massive. I think it's just good practice but VLM havent instilled confidence with their behaviour so far! 

I did 8k recovery this morning and feel much better but did get caught in a few showers.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I won't be using the app,I dont carry my phone as much pockets are full with gels,sweets,vinegar and anything else I can stuff in there so glad the watch option is available.
  • Options
    Love pics, Big G!
    Requiring people to use an app isn't the way forward - a lot of people won't to lug a smartphone with them and then there are luddites like myself who don't use smartphones at all. It still pisses me off how many things seem to require a smartphone these days. I have a PC - why would I want to faff about with a mobile when I'm at home most of the time? Ugh.

I've stopped thinking about what races I should have been doing on what days. (Today would have been Ealing half).

Shades, glad you are starting to improve. I think sometimes we forget how bloody ill we actually feel with a cold.

Got my fat arse out at 6:30 for my last longish run before Dorney. I aimed for 10 but with the route I took, it ended up being 11. I did a truncated version of the Thames Path run I did a couple of weeks back - ran down to Battersea, through the park then along the Thames to Wandsworth. Instead of continuing there, though, I turned off after crossing the mouth of the Wandle, crossed all the nasty big roads (fortunately I managed to make it across without stopping) and then up through St George's park, along the Wandle for a bit then back home via Tooting.
    It was definitely windy and I had to run into for a bit along the Thames, though it was no way near as strong or relentless as the headwind I had to deal with at the end of Liverpool Marathon last year. Which was a blessing.
    I slowly increased my pace from easy to what I term steady, and did miles 9 and 10 at 9:50 pace, then 9:59 for the last mile (which included a hill, then a stretch into the wind on Balham High Road).

Fairly happy with it - legs feel a bit better now but I still have niggles and QL was noticeably worse after I finished the run. It doesn't seem to like the running, even when I'm paying more attention to my form, which I was today.

Anyway, that's me done - will do two or three shorter runs during the week and then it's showtime.
  • Options
    Cal - Nice 11 miler. I really like that stretch of the Thames up to battersea but it’s a killer when it’s windy. 

Woke up with both a cold which I knew was coming since everyone has one in the house (pretty sure not Covid) and my knee acting up so decided to bin the long run and take a rest day to be cautious. The knee is most likely a function of my recent shoe swapping as it’s on the left leg which has the weird pronation, or maybe just the addition of the faster stuff but doubt it as I’ve kept it pretty firmly below 20pct of my running. I felt it slightly on my run yesterday and today it’s clearly painful. Not so much when walking but when squatting there is a pain around the top part of the tibia. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - no, never been to Saunton sands, looks lovely.

That's not good having about the achilles, maybe the walking on the sand has aggravated it along with the driving.   Have you been using the heel lifts?

I understood that the app for London virtual is the same as the GNR app, you'll have celebrities along the way (I can't think of anything worse) giving you pep talks to keep you going.

Emmy - glad you're feeling better, hope Noah is no longer grumpy too.

Ian - still using the vinegar?

Cal - glad the run went well.  Restful taper now.   What's the forecast for Dorney?

Rcouture - sorry to hear you've got a cold too.   No running until it's gone and I would ditch all speedwork now before your race to get rid of that niggle too.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Ian: can you explain the vinegar thing? 

Rcouture: sorry to hear that you're poorly too. Hope you can rest today. 

Shades: nope. He's still grumpy unfortunately! 

Cal: well done on the last long run. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes I am, bought the gherkins yesterday. Boston app was meant to have had course description as you were going along, so it told you sights etc as you would have passed them in real life.
    Emmy-Gherkin juice is my go to remedy for cramp. I have always suffered with it and read about tests that suggested it was neurological rather than physical as no-one has ever got to the bottom of what caused it, the vinegar is meant to give a shock to the brain parts that control it and reset it, hence getting rid of the cramp.it sounds hocus-pocus but it has got rid of my cramps very quickly, rather than the minutes of stretching it had taken in the past, so I decant the juice into small spirit bottles and drink one as I feel the cramp starting.
  • Options
    At the moment, breezy and drizzly, Shades. Not optimal, but a lot can happen in a week.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Shades - you missed a weather beating.

I think im in 255 shape, but made my peace it wasnt going to happen, so decided id try to keep just under 3hr pace and drop out at the end of whichever lap i fell behind sub3 pace.
    I ended up running all the way, as witj a few laps to go i thought id only just miss 3hrs.
    A bit of slowing for hammy cramp twice in the last mile wasnt balanced out by a desperate dash for the line. Chip time 3,:00:00. Which is amusing me. Dorney lake nov 22nd, no 5k or 10k runners to wriggle through late on.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Crikey, TR.  You sound quite okay about it and it's obviously still a phenomenon time!  You can call it 2:59:60 :)    How was the covid security stuff - all okay?

Another trip cancelled for me.  We were supposed to be going to NL in November but easyJet changed our flights and the new timings didn't work.  Plus, NL is on the quarantine list, so we were weren't going to travel anyway.  Because they changed it by more than 5hrs a refund was possible rather than getting a voucher that was only valid for 12 months, so it's worked out well really.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Yes, well managed. Staggered car park. Sanitise hands as you enter airfield. 4 runners go off every 10 seconds. Grab a bottle of water off a table. At the end take a t shirt, snack and water bottle off  a table and leave.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that's not too bad a forecast.

I got my first smartphone for nothing from my mobile provider, basic but it was useful.  I have a better one now and use that a lot at home when I've switched off the PC.

Ian - why don't you just use vinegar, that's all gherkin juice is? 

TR - that's a great result in those conditions, not tempted to DNF then. 

Big G - I suppose that's all your 2020 trips cancelled now.   :(
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    TR-Great time under the circumstances,well done.
    Shades-Don't know really,just got into the habit and seems to work so just keep to it.
    Pretty crap run today,legs felt dead and no energy,had a sore throat the last week and bit sniffly so hoping it passes.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - a bit like lucky underpants then.  ;)

Maybe you're getting a cold too, hope OH is OK now
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Shades - oh yes, i set off with the intention of dropping out when i fell off the pace, i expected to do 5 or 6 laps. But was on it so kept going.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    TR: impressive time on a blustery day

BigG: sorry to hear about your trip being cancelled. If you guys need anything from here, I'm happy to send it over. We're the same restrictions wise. I'm pinning everything on Christmas but that's looking slim

Ian: Yep, gherkin juice is really common here. In fact, I was given a jar of gherkins after a race once. They're also recommended to pregnant women for cramp.  That's a good idea to put it into a little bottle