Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Emmy, it was good conditions in terms of temperature.  There was some wind, but I've ridden in worse around that track.  I was convincing myself that my shoddy performance must have been because my tyres needed to be pumped up but when I got home they were fine, so I can't even blame that!

Shades, yes, I think it's just the few days off and I did kind of have to force myself out the door as well.  Often in those situations I get into it, but that didn't happen on this occasion.
  • Options
    Thank you for your support everyone :) I am now having injections twice daily to help with the pain and am on the prayer mat for Friday.

Shades - With regarding marathons La Rochelle are seemingly determined to go ahead with the race on the 29th November. I am now in the position of fervently hoping my one race of the year will be cancelled as at least then I don't lose my entry fee and can plan ahead for next year. I've cancelled my hotel which didn't cost anything so just waiting to see what happens with the race itself now.
  • Options
    I know of 4-5 people who’ve had the virus and fortunately none overly seriously though all have had lingering issues like fatigue and psychological troubles for weeks/months afterwards which is a side of this thing that isn’t talked about as much. My sister is a doc and spends much of her time dealing with those cases at present and it’s not pretty. 

10 miles along the river yesterday on a route I hadn’t taken up to Barnes and the lovely wetland centre around there. Kept it easy although it was a couple of bpm above MAF due to the fact I had to run alongside busy London traffic for a chunk of it which always gets my HR up. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Just for the avoidance of doubt, I'm not a Covid denier or anything :)  I just personally don't know anyone who has had it but then I suppose I haven't seen all that many people the last few months.

I don't believe it, but I've now got a raised RHR, elevated by about 10%.  Pretty sure it's just a cold (no Covid symptoms), with just sneezing and blocked nose plus feeling tired this morning, although I slept really well. 
  • Options
    Shades - Thanks, feeling quite good fitness wise considering I don't have any races lined up!! Although do have an eye on a 6 hour event.

Easy 7 miles today. Last 50 mile week for me this week, then a couple of weeks "off".
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - you sound exhausted, do take it easy if you can.    Hope the ankle is just a passing twinge.

mamafox - hope those injections are dealing with the worst of the pain.

You may well have recovered fully from your back injury by the end of November, 2 months away yet.    Are other races going ahead in France?   Have you any further lockdown restrictions since the increase in cases?

Rcouture - I think it must be hard for those that take a long time to recover fully, if they do, from Covid.  Mentally and physically.   The guy I was talking to is recovering well, considering that when he left hospital he was getting regular dialysis treatment and could hardly walk, borrowed a neighbour's mobility scooter.   He's now back working 10 hours a day.

My HR goes up when running close to traffic too, even if I'm safely on a pavement.

Big G - sounds like a cold, that's borderline increase in RHR for rest/no running or cycling.  I'm sure it must be much easier to pick up a cold than Covid, not needing such long contact.

Steve - guess you're going to be busy doing other stuff, hope it all goes well. :)

6 hour event, is that for next year?

Circuits this morning, good session.  Looks like the session is going to be stretched to the hour but we finished 2 minutes short of the hour so I could get round the front of the building to check in for the gym, no time for a swig of coffee.  😭   Very quiet in the gym again.

Good news.   As long as the government don't have this talked about 2 week circuit break lockdown then my instructor will be back in the gym at the end of October.  He's furloughed at the moment and only comes in to do our circuits class.   That's good for me as I think I might need his help to reach my target by Xmas of reducing my fat % by the last 2%.

I've signed up for a new class tomorrow LIIT's, never done this before.   So far only 3 booked in for tomorrow so there'll be no hiding at the back.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I used the NHS app to scan the QR code at the leisure centre, most impressed with the app so far.    Probably won't be if I get a message at any time to isolate.
  • Options
    Rcouture - I've heard of people having PTSD after being hospitalised with Covid. Also a lot of people with lasting fatigue. It's a scary illness.

4 mile plod this morning then went to the gym a bit later to do some upper body (no lower body before marathon!) I had thought I might do a slightly longer run with some MP miles, but I was so slow over the first couple of miles that I realised body was not going to like going from 11+ min/mi to 9 in short order. So I decided I'd do that one tomorrow, after going out a bit later. I am a hell of a lot slower at 6-7am than I am at 9am.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Ankle still not right so i took a full rest day today. I've been consciously wearing my good shoes and doing my exercises but it's still twingy. I'm wondering if it's worth canning my long run this weekend to give me more of a break. 

Shades: not even time for a swig of coffee! The beast! 
  • Options
    Emmy prob wont do you any harm knocking the long run on the head.

Cal - I've not been to the gym at all this week, can't risk injury or scanning the NHS app anywhere then getting told I have to self isolate.

Shades - I've used the app a couple of times, as you say impressed but you don't want to get a notification from it.  Good news with only 3 in the class plenty of social distancing.

Steve enjoy your time 'off'

Rcouture - not surprised london traffic gets the heart rate going, I'm glad I can run for miles without seeing too many people or cars.

MF I hope your races get cancelled for you lol, not selfish hoping the races get cancelled, part of me hopes one of my two 50 milers in november get cancelled.

Ian hope the other half keeps sane for the next couple of weeks.

I've know 2 people who have died after being positive with Covid but their health wasn't great before hand.  I know 2 people who have had it bad and been on ventilators and someone else at work workplace just tested positive.  Our work place are trying to get us back in, we're going to be working 1 in 3 weeks in the office from 19th Oct, I thought the goverments stance was work from home if you can?

6 miles this evening, been struggling to go out mentally this week, imagine I'll run another 3-5 miles on Friday before Sundays run. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Emmy - good idea to ditch the long run this weekend and give your ankle a bit of rest.

Robert - there's no concerns re social distancing during classes as we have red stickers on the floor 2m apart and we have to stick to those places.   Now 5 booked for the class.  :)

Don't think about your two planned 50 milers, just enjoy your marathon on Sunday first.   How's the leg, do you think it's an infection?

Yes, they changed the guidelines to encourage to WFH again about 10/14 days ago, I think.

Big G - how's the cold?

Well I take back all the nice things I said about my instructor yesterday as my legs are trashed again.  😭  Last night I settled down to watch telly and an hour later when I went to stand up the DOMS was already starting, needless to say feeling it much more this morning.   Adductors, calves, hamstrings, hip flexors, glutes and worst of all my quads.   The quads were from the squats with the barbell, he did say holding the barbell on the chest would work the quads.  
    Last night I skimmed through a couple of LIIT YouTube videos just to get an idea, all I can say I hope it's not as hard as the videos I watched.   But I cancelled my gym session planned after LIIT class as I'm due to do leg session next in the gym and they're not up to it today, will do that tomorrow instead.

6 miles this morning and my legs felt every step.   Chilly morning and very dark.
  • Options
    Robert - That is indeed strange that your work is asking you to get back to the office as that goes against government guidance. Is it the type of role that’s difficult to do from home?

Shades - What is LIIT?

Went out for a very rainy, cold 6 miles in the dark yesterday eve which was unpleasant but got it done. Looks like quite a lot of rain for the next fortnight as well. I’ve taken delivery of a new head torch today as the chest one I’ve been using is pretty useless and I need quite a lot of light for running through the commons. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Have any of the Virtual Londoner Shadies received the info about the app yet?  I haven't but it seems some have so I was wondering if I need to chase them up.  I see the app is available but we need a registration number which I don't have.

Shades, yes, I'm feeling a bit better today.  I just took it easy yesterday and did some life-admin type stuff (yawn!), but feeling okay.  RHR back where it usually is so going to try a 20-miler or so on the bike soon before the weather is due to turn again this afternoon.  

Talking of YouTube I watched the London press conference yesterday with the Bekele and Kipchoge.  Very interesting just the subtle differences between the two athletes.  They were both open but you could see that Bekele found some of the questions amusing/irritating - i.e., "is it going to be a world record?", he basically just smiled and said "who knows - it's a brand new course".  I got the feeling they haven't actually been around the course as yet, especially Bekele who seemed to imply he wanted to have a look at the course before saying what time was possible.  Bekele in particular was keeping the pacer strategy close to his chest, and there was a bit of chat between the two athletes about pacers.  I think Kipchoge said something like (I'm paraphrasing) "Oh, you want to start of a bit slower do you?", and Bekele smiled and said (again paraphrasing) "Well I know Kipchoge starts off hard and can fade a bit in the latter stages, and that's no secret".  There was some laghter between the two.  Of course, Bekele's last few ks at last year's Berlin was just insane.  It could be a good race I reckon.  

One other thing that made Bekele smirk a bit was if he was going to offer Cheptege any advice on how to break the 10k record next week(?).  He smiled and said he doesn't think Cheptegei needs any advice from him.  When asked if he contacted Cheptegei after his 5K record he replied and said "Of course.  I'm pleased for him.  It's the nature of the sport" and it seemed to me that he meant it.

For the Nike fans, Kipchoge is wearing a Kenyan-flagged version of the Nike Alphafly Next%, whereas Bekele is wearing the Vapourflys as he did say he has issues with the Alphas.  He wore the Vapourflys in Berlin last year and I suppose he did okay (understatement!).  I can't explain why but I just fancy Bekele on Sunday.  There, I've said it - not a popular choice looking at the various groups/forums, and I know he's probably the underdog.  But I don't really care who wins, but hopefully it'll be a good race.

There was some chat the day before that they're going to be wearing some device that buzzes if they get too close to each other, but that story wasn't correct (i.e., they're not wearing any device like that, according to yesterday's conference, but I think they have been wearing it around the hotel/bubble).
  • Options
    Shades - Sounds like good news about the instructor coming back. Yes, 6 hour event is next year, quite local, so no need for hotel. Plus can drop out at any time, so could stop at marathon/50k if not wanting to run for 6 hours.
    Big G - If Bekele is fit and training has gone well, he will defo be able to give Kipchoge a great race. Pretty sure there will be a surprise African who sticks with them for most of the race to run a 2:02/3 time. 

13 miles today including 6 miles at MP, came out to 7:08/7:10/7:05/7:08/6:50/6:51 with HR of 145/146/145/149/145/145 off the watch. So hardly any drift!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - LIIT = Low Intensity Interval Training
    It's a new class to the leisure centre, started last week but I haven't seen any of those that attended to find out what it was like, I'll expect I'll find out when we're queuing up outside.

Hope you can find some running routes that have lighting.   I don't use a head or chest torch anymore, I just don't like that tunnel feeling when I'm running with one.

Big G - lots of talk of the app on Fetch  London 2020 thread you might find useful.   As it's an app I would expect you'll find out by Saturday, but I did read that those that had entered London they worked out that they could use their reg/acceptance number and get into the app that way and not wait for their code.

Good you're feeling better, life admin, dull but virtuous when completed.  If your RHR is normal, unlikely you'd have a cold for one day only, hay fever perhaps?

I didn't watch the press interview for Kipchoge and Bekele.   I can't take to Bekele, fine runner but I find him a bit creepy.   

I remember in one marathon Bekele having problems with his shoes, backed off for a while as he was in pain from blisters caused by the shoes.  It's not all good being sponsored.

• Options
    Big G - you need your race number and registration ID (which was on the email confirming registration in the virtual event I think).
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-My email came through yesterday and went into my junk box so may be worth checking.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks both. It’s in my Junk email, so I’ve got the details now. 

20 miles on the bike this morning, around the track. It felt noticeably colder so I’m going to have to dig out the long sleeved tops. 
  • Options
    Rather sad I'll miss the showdown since I'll be running myself.
    Taking a rest today - I was going to run today and rest tomorrow (it's supposed to rain) but after doing some shopping and hauling my clothes to the launderette, I just couldn't be arsed. Rainy run it is, then.
  • Options
    Robert OHaraRobert OHara ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Shades - I really don't know if the leg was/is infected, it cleared up after speaking to the docs and before the tablets.  I thought the wfh guidelines had changed then as well strange our work is going against them.  Hope you recover from your DOMS.

Rcouture - the job can be done from home and has worked better than I had expected so I was surprised.  It's only one week in 3 for me so not too concerned but prefer not to go in.  Closer to the time I will bring up my concerns if I have any.  A good torch will help with your running at night, I dug mine out yesterday and charged them up.

Big G had an email from Virgin London Marathon and the subject Important log in details.  I've seen a lot of comments on their facebook and twitter saying they haven't received anything yet.  Hope the admin stuff was sorted.

I'm sure who ever was sponsoring Bekele when he was having issues with his shoes, weren't happy about sponsoring him then either.  

Looks like a good chance of rain on Sunday, as long as it's not accompanied by wind then I won't be too worried.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - that 6 hour event sounds ideal.

Great HR stats.

Big G - you're all sorted now for the virtual.  Have you chosen a route?

Cal - I think doing 26.2 miles as a training run would be very hard mentally as well as physically.   

We've got stormy conditions forecast for tomorrow but not at early o'clock thankfully.

Well as expected I was able to quiz one of the women prior to the LIIT's class and she said it was fairly challenging, more or less as I'd seen on YouTube.  2 women who did it last week found it too hard so not coming back.

But I loved it, I did find it hard at times and my legs were screaming at me at one point.   It's a perfect workout for runners as I think we worked every muscle in my poor legs.

Fortunately I was just at the stage when I wasn't sure if my legs could take any more when we went into a great stretch routine to cool down as the class was 45 minutes not a full hour.  A definite in my calendar from now on.

My legs felt quite wobbly on the walk home, have put my feet up now to give them a rest.

Got my refund from EasyJet today, 28 days since I applied, so that's good.  All refunds received now.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - that's good news about the leg.   I suppose without seeing you and with everything that you've gone through in the last year they were just being cautious so gave you antibiotics.

A lot of companies have made arrangements for staff to return to the office and then cautious guidelines were brought in to try and WFH again if possible.  So of course that may change again in the future.

Hope conditions are good for you and Cal on Sunday, and Ian too up north.

I'm not too worried about the DOMs, I have an easy week planned post my head cold.  I might even take Sunday as a rest day as I have a lot of marathon running to watch on the telly, plus going to cook a roast dinner... I'll be thinking of you all 😉

Seems lots found their VLM info in their junk mail folder.

I don't have a junk mail folder with my email host, always seem to get emails that I should and rarely any real junk.  Not sure how that works but it does.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Very busy week now over apart from a meeting tomorrow, but no more physical work now.
    Weather is still looking fine, winds now 7-9mph,only possible issue could be heavy rain is forecast up until Saturday night, so hoping that comes through on time and not late.
    Last decent run tonight,5 miles with 2 @Marathon effort in the middle, mainly downhill so came out at 6:41 and 6:45,with a grade adjusted pace of 6:56 and 6:40,aiming for 6:52 so dialled in quite well.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - any reduction in the wind speed is welcome.   Good you can rest up a bit for the rest of your taper now.

I heard Elvington on the news this morning, not for good reasons unfortunately.

I wanted to do a flat run along the cycle path today and had planned to go out at first light but that plan went out the window as when I got up this morning the 40+mph winds which yesterday was forecast to come in about 9am now scheduled for 7am.   So out in the dark, very heavy rain and windy in places, for a very wet run.   Legs felt OK when I got up this morning, no DOMS .   But once I started to run I realise my legs were very tired and glycogen depleted.   I only ran 5 miles but that was so hard, the whole run felt like the last mile in a marathon.   My glutes and hip flexors are a bit sore on stretching.   Ankles were twinging a bit during the run, but I'm OK with that as I have weak ankles and what we did in LIIT class really worked the ankles, I need that.

Legs are not up to a gym session so I'd better do upper body today.   I think I'll drive there too as don't fancy queuing up outside in this weather.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I was just reading that,there is an investigation happening,just hope they finish before Sunday,but no idea how long they take and can hardly rush it.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - let's hope the investigation takes no more than 24 hours.  It could be in a different area of the airfield.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I know it’s not in the spirit of a proper race but we may split it so we can do half, come back and watch the men's race, have some food etc, do the second half, and then come back and watch the ladies on catchup.   If it’s raining, and bearing in mind we’re walking and will be out there for quite some time, a change of clothes may be helpful too.  I’m not in any shape to actually ‘race’ (or even run) it due to the achilles, but it’ll be nice to do the distance with OH, even if we do it in two halfs.  We have 22hrs to do the mileage, and it's done on elapsed time so we can pause and resume if we want to.  

Plus, I would really like to see Kipchoge and Bekele race if I can.  Although I watched it afterwards, I didn't see Kipchoge's 1:59 live as I was doing Sofia marathon, and London is building to be a big race in these Covid times - it'll be great to see them lining up and hopefully properly racing.  It'll come down to if they're both in shape or not, I suppose, as well as the weather.

No cycling for me today as it's totally miserable here - driving rain and strong wind.  I think I may get the wet weather stuff on and go for a walk so Sunday isn't a total shock....and to check my stuff is still waterproof!
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cross post Ian - yes, it really did take me that long to write the above, between breakfast, and making coffee.  Fingers crossed for Elvington - I hadn't seen the news when Shades mentioned it and presumed it was Covid related at first, but then read the article.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Checked the times then and laughed when I seen how long it took.
    I've recorded London,if I start on time I'm hoping to finish 15min before the men so will try and get to my phone to see then end.