Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - well done for having a go.  Next time you need to be fresh and raring to go.   When you're tired it's hard to push the heart rate up.
    No need to practise hills for the test, the harder you find hill running the easier/quicker you will reach exhaustion.

Don't worry how long the hill is as long as it's a decent hill as you run as many reps until you literally have to stop as there's nothing left.

When I did my MHR test there's a good hill near my home, I warmed up over a couple of miles undulating first.  Then tackled the hill with a vengeance, unfortunately half way down again I discovered there was ice on the hill and there's no way I can run flat out if I know there's ice.   So I ran slowly to the top of the hill again, flat stretch along the top.  So did reps, probably about 200m each way up and down the road trying to run harder for each one.   When I thought I was going to die I stopped, felt a little dizzy so leaned up against a parked car and set the alarm off.  It was a dark February morning so not wanting to have an altercation with the owner I had to run off as quickly as I could, which was very slowly as I was shattered.  I added on 3 or 4 beats to my recorded MHR.

Cal - it's good that you're thinking about races.   :)

Very mild here too.  The stormy weather has passed and now lovely sunshine.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Yeah you are right it didn't hurt  :'(
    I ran 20 mins to get there so that was my warm up,then straight in to it,I added about 200mtrs of flat beforehand to lengthen the overall effort,first hill I topped out at 176,downhill recovery dropped to about 145,then up again got to 180,down again to 145,then last hill I only got to 175,definitely couldn't go again,no sick but I was bent over recovering,so guessing I can add 2 or 3 beats so go with 183?
    That would give me a maf number of 140,if I add the 5 for improving,think Hadd would give me 135 from what I can see,and 75% is 137 so all in the same ball park.
    Next I was thinking about doing a 10 mile run at easy pace and I presume I should want the heart rate not to drift?
    The one thing stopping me is what Rcouture touched on and walking the steep hills,I am still going to run them as I do as I don't want to walk.
  • Shades - Yeah re hill reps I meant doing them as part of the very long winter’s base training ahead. On the test, how long would you leave it until trying again? 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that's it done, brilliant.  Yes add on those few beats.

Yes, you would want to try to avoid any cardiac drift.   You're aerobically fit so I don't think you'll have too much trouble controlling your HR although you will get better with practise.

No need to avoid hills, again you will become better at controlling HR on hills, by easing up a little on approach to a hill that gives you a few BPM in hand to tackle the hill without going too far over your target HR.

Rcouture - as soon as you find you are fresh and feel up for the challenge.
    Ian just got his HRM so that would have given him an incentive to do the test ASAP.
    When I did mine it was because I'd read the Hadd stuff and was very keen to start the training.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Based on that,what heart rate should I be able to hold without it drifting too much?
    I've seen a 10k this Sunday,bit further than I'd like but I want a race and I'm off for 3 days then so good time to do it.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I think 75 % should be a reasonable level to hold for a training run.

Good that you've still got races in your area.   Are you thinking of wearing the HRM?  Just for post race stats of course.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Shades-Yes I will be wearing it for most of my runs over the next few weeks and have a look at the data.I am interested in how it works and will go from there.
    When you talk about no drift are you literally talking about zero movement or is a couple of beats allowed?
    Had a good look at today's effort,and unsurprisingly it was my fastest strava segments over the route,the hill has 2 segments and I averaged 6:24 uphill on them,no wonder I was wrecked.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - a couple of beats is OK, you'll probably get that in the early stages before cardiac drift would become an factor.   Early miles will vary by a few beats, often as stretches that feel flat actually have small undulations only detectable by your HRM.  Also if you let your mind wander your HR might creep up as you run on 'automatic'.

Don't start too fast, take say the first mile or so to build to 75%.  If you start too fast you'll lose time having to get HR back to desired level and it's frustrating.

That's a stonking pace for a tough hill! 😮
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, well done!  Similarly to you, my MAF is 73% and I too thought it was good to know it was in the right ballpark.  Although in my head I called my training "MAF training", if it had been way off I'd have gone with the %.  I have seen that some people have quite a low Max HR but still train to MAF, which is then technically is too high I suppose.  One thing I haven't done though is knock the 1 beat off at my birthday, which I think according to Maffetone I should have done...  Sounds like you've got some plans forming which is great.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - when I started HR training there was no way I could have used  the MAF calculation as it would have equated to 85% MHR.  That's just an example of how flawed only using a formula can be.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G  - no need to knock one beat off your training rate.   I expect if you did another MHR test your max is still the same.

I don't think my MHR has reduced by more than 2 bpm in 15 years.  
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, thanks, I won't knock any off mine then.

It's taken 2.5 weeks nearly, but my London medal and shirt should be arriving tomorrow.  It's a bit of anticlimax, really!  I know 1000s of orders to process is probably not a trivial exercise, but 2.5 weeks does seem a bit excessive to me.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Thanks for that,will give it a go at my usual easy pace and see how it compares.
    Is there formula of what % of max other races should be raced at or is it all different depending on people,training etc?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - didn't they have about 40,000 to despatch, I don't think 2.5 weeks is too bad.   I expect a lot of their staff are furloughed.  

Mavericks now have our Sportsshoes discount code.  :)   Thanks for that.

Ian - it does depend on training and the individual.   Big G and I have had this conversation before but unfortunately he hasn't had a chance this year apart from his 5k.

For a marathon from memory I usually run at 85 - 88 %.  Can't remember what I do a half but a 10k was about 90-91%  :'(
    I'll check my stats tomorrow.
  • Shades - great to ready you're back running and no pain in the ankle.

Rcouture - not had a race cancelled on me yet (that I was running) but I do suffer from post race blues when I don't have anything to look forward to.

Cal - hopefully can ease back into it now, good you're feeling positive about entering races

Ian - wow at running up hill pace... I'd be happy with that down hill pre injury.

Big G - should have my medal and shirt tomorrow as well as just got an email, I feel sorry for people who did the event as their only marathon distance complete as it is a long time, but 40,000 envelopes stuffed with medal and t-shirts will take time.  

7 miles this evening, first run with the headtorch for a couple of years.  ATW have launched another marathon at Dorney Lake in the Spring.  Saturday 2nd April which I have entered.  Another race for the bucket list is Kosice Europe's oldest marathon.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hi all, I wrote a message but it doesn't appeared to have stuck. 

BigG: I've heard most are arriving this week. I'm still waiting for my virtual comrades packet that I did in the spring! 

Rcouture: completely understand the disappointment you're feeling. 

Robert: I had one of those at the weekend. I finally got to test out my proviz gear. I was lit up like a tree

Ian/rcouture: I don't envy your HRM max tests. Mine always made me want to throw up. 

Shades: how long have you been tracking your heart rate to have stats over 15 years?

5milrs for me yesterday and today. Feeling good and strong. Feeling a bit tired though as youngest is teething and awake a lot
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I went and did another spinning class this morning.  There's a one way system in place and to leave we go out the rear of the building and up a service road to get back to the front where the car park is.  It was absolutely chucking it down with rain at the end and the road had a lot of standing water, so I got totally soaked and trainers drenched on the 2mins back to the car.  Still, it was a good session though :)  I have a session booked tomorrow evening as the morning is currently fully booked but if a morning place comes available I'll jump into that instead.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert/Big G - I think London have done well with their despatch of t-shirts and medals.   Dublin is having a virtual marathon this weekend, but as Ireland is in a very strict lockdown no medals will be despatched for at least 6 weeks as considered 'non essential'.   Could even be longer if their lockdown is not eased after 6 weeks.

Re Dorney lake, that's Easter weekend isn't it?   Had to look up Kosice, wasn't sure where it was  :/
    IOW is the oldest marathon in the UK.   I did it on their 50th anniversary in 2006.

Ian - had a quick look at my stats, I have little info on shorter races as never been my priority but my average HR's are 87-91% for a 10k, Half 87-89%, Marathon 84-89%, ultras vary too much, dependent on how fit I was at the time.

Emmy - were you planning to go to SA this year to run Comrades?

I started HR training in 2004, don't have all my spreadsheets from then, I've only got about the last 10 years.   Haven't kept all my race diaries either, take up too much space.   Of course I used to train throughout the winter and race rarely, then in the Spring race through to early November and then all base training had gone and start again.

Are you back to WFH all the time now with stricter lockdown in NL?

Hope the teething passes quickly, I guess it doesn't though. 

Big G - I had the same at leisure centre today, ran out the back door in the pouring rain to get in the front door again for gym session.

Circuits was good, instructor turned up with a black eye, he's a boxer. 

Followed by leg session in gym, ankle twinge just on last set on the leg press, after that no trouble with it.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert is our last man standing when it comes to marathons   :)   If anyone else has a marathon/ultra up to the end of 2020 please let me know.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Shades: looks like it! I don't see any other races happening yet. Yes, I'm WFH until further notice. Comrades is definitely on my bucket list but not sure when. I've got friends in SA and would ideally like to make a holiday out of it. 

I lost all of my data from 2011-2014 so I struggle to remember anything that isn't on Garmin connect.

Rest day for me today so taking it easy. We've had the rain this morning and now it's very windy. 

BigG: that sounds like some epic rain! Hope you get a place for tomorrow's lesson. 
  • Big G hope it doesn't rain as hard for tomorrows session

Emmy similar I've got friends in SA, although probably not good enough to blag a stay but do fancy going on holiday there again.

Shades - Kosice only recently entered my thoughts, a Slovakian I used to work with commented on my strava after DL about it, then my pal whos going back home to Poland in the next few months also dropped it in his plans.  DL is the easter weekend, may have a look at a travelodge the night before this time.

London medal and shirt arrived today, left outside and got soaking wet.  Wore shirt out for 5km run this evening.  Now have spring marathon booked going to look for a 2nd one in May (probably Halstead) and a trail marathon early march time.
  • Emmy - Teething was an absolute nightmare for us x2 so I feel your pain

9 miles this afternoon after a work catch up in Richmond park. Have signed up for Finsbury Park half from Runthrough on the 8th of November. It’s apparently hilly so not sure re PBs but beggars can’t be choosers. Fingers crossed no cancellations. If my postponed half happens in mid December I can shoot for a PB then
  • I am also on the lookout for a march/April marathon since Brighton has been delayed until sept so would welcome suggestions. The idea would be to do a big one as my first but I can’t wait until September! Preferably something not as fast as the recent dorney one. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Rcouture- There is no guarantees that any will be going then but these held a race a couple of weeks ago https://www.nice-work.org.uk/races/?latitude=&longitude=&location_id=&month=&years=§or_id=20&keyword=&postcode= and they have a marathon in Kent in April,and runthrough have Bedford autodrome in April.
  • Rcouture - good luck at finsbury park, It's fairly undulating but will be a good test. 

We have no idea what events are going ahead next year, I'm going to stay fairly local and low key next year, few thoughts of events I was looking at:
    Richmond - end of march, they are 50% full already (Cal's entered)
    ATW dorney lake - easter saturday (2nd april) it's flat, only 600 runners and have been getting the go ahead for other events (I'm booked in)
    peterborough - 11th april, quite a new event

• Rcouture - I've done the parkrun there and it's definitely hilly - if you've done any runs in Brockwell park, it's quite similar to that. The Runthrough course is almost the same as the parkrun course except that the parkrun cuts off the top left corner, and they start in different places.

Rob, I did think about having another crack at Dorney but, mentally, I'd much rather do a single course than laps. Rcouture - I'd put yourself in for Richmond - it's local and it'll be a nice course (I've done the half five times). Maybe not as fast as Dorney but a lot more interesting.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, it seems I was one of lucky ones as my London package arrived intact.  I've seen some with packages torn to shreds and shoved through the door (if Hermes have delivered to the correct door, which is a risk in itself).  I think there's definitely room for improvement if they do another virtual event, in terms of getting the packages out.  Personally, I'm very pleased with the quality of the medal and shirt though.

Emmy, I've got friends in SA too.  I'd love to visit, and it's very, very high on my bucket list in terms of holiday destinations, which in my case would mean trying to fit it around Two Oceans :)  For the last couple of years I've looked at flights but have yet to book it.  Hopefully one year. 

I got a morning cancellation so I'm off to the spinning class soon.  I still feel I could actually run.  Not even using a scale of 1-10, but if I use 1-100 there's a very slight sensation there of about a 3 if I prod the area!  But again I've had this before so I want to hold off a bit.  We'll see if I manage to hold out or if I crack in a couple of days!  I did go for a 5-mile walk late yesterday afternoon and I will probably do similar today. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - I want to do Halstead again, always enjoyed that race, even though it's a long drive.   I'm going to pencil that in for next year.    I haven't done Peterborough, I believe that's a fast course, on my wish list but maybe not next year.  If we're back racing I'd probably opt for Great Welsh as it's on the same day.

Rcouture - that's great news you've found another half marathon to do, I know you were gutted to have the other race cancelled/postponed.   Don't let the fact that it's undulating put you off, you'll still do a good PB after all the training you've done.

I can't see right now that any 'big' marathons will be back on for the Spring, nor can Brighton obviously having postponed until the autumn.  So maybe look around at what marathons are on, I guess between us all on here we've run most of them at some time so we can help with course/organisation etc.  

Big G - London deliberately went for plastic free packaging and it was only yesterday when there was heavy rain that some recipients said the packaging was damaged, no mention from all the others that received theirs before then of any damage. 
    I think 30 days is an acceptable time to wait for the shirt and medal to be despatched, it's not as if it was a race.

3 out of 100, I think I'd run.   :open_mouth:

5 miles today, good running conditions.   Back to running with tired legs, after circuits and the gym.   Had a few twinges from ankle last night but was absolutely fine for my run today.   But my ankle is not up to doing a LIITS class today, I feel a bit guilty about not going as there are only 2 people booked into the class.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I see the next lot of Nike shoes are out, awful colour Mango   🤢  £260 😲
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Let’s agree to differ about the London distribution Shades :)

Good class again today and this time very nice weather when I left :)