Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Also, not sure if anyone wants it but if you want 20% off at Proviz, you can use the discount code: 20foryou. 

I've got both the gilet and long sleeved top. Both are great and really visible at night. I'm not a rep, just a happy runner.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - 21 pairs of my shoes have been used, I have just one pair that is unworn and that's because I have an identical pair being used.   Of the 22 , 7 pairs are either over or nearing the 500 mile mark so some are close to the end of use.

Good to hear the ankle is not as bad as it could have been and you are recovering.   Good for you getting out there to marshal at Stort 30, must have been tiring.

Please don't fall over again.   :/

Emmy - you did a lot of trail running in a short time didn't you, maybe those hills in Germany  ;)

Is that your new watch, that was in the drawer, that is playing up?

I've seen the Proviz stuff, lovely.   I will go and have a look, but I don't often wear jackets.   Thanks for the discount code.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Shades: no, it's the old one still  :# they've got some other gear (not just jackets). I have to be lit up like a Christmas tree to be seen as people here can be really stupid. There's been two incidents on two separate sections 400m from my door so I'm a little paranoid. 

I suspect it was actually our local forest? It was muddy and very uneven ground and I was being pulled (for once!). 

Sorry to hear Pilates was tough. Can you rest today?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Emmy - well that's good it's the old watch, just in case you need to start using the new one.

I wear a reflective bib when I run.   These are really good ones, from the goody bags at Dublin Marathon and traffic sees me from a long way off, I can tell by the way the car drivers react.  I only have 2 left, one is getting tatty but I would make the effort to try and buy one when they do wear out as can't even notice I'm wearing it, not hot and never move so don't need adjustment.

I am resting now for the rest of the day, run and Pilates done.  :)  Although Pilates is not the sort of exercise you need to rest afterwards, it's challenging on the core and especially on the back today.
  • Rob, glad things are improving but yeah, we're a right pair with the falling over eh?

Shades, you're the Imelda Marcos of trainers! I thought I was bad. Currently I have: Nike Frees (which I use for walks and gym) plus two more pairs of these in boxes; Nike Epic React (my workhorse shoe) plus two more pairs in boxes; Nike Zoom Fly flyknit plus another fresh pair in a box; Nike Vaporfly flyknit plus another fresh pair in a box; Nike Peg Turbo, Nike Alphafly (as yet unworn), Nike Terra Kiger (trail shoe), Nike spikes of some sort I bought for muddy parkruns but haven't worn yet.
    I remember when I did Hot Inferno Pilates (a mix of Pilates and HIIT) I often felt quite beaten up afterwards. It can be tough.

Emmy, hope it's just a temporary glitch with the watch.

Thanks to the mild cold (scratchy throat and cruddy feeling, but no snot thankfully) I decided to do absolutely nothing yesterday and run today instead. Still had a bit of a scratchy throat on waking but felt better, although I could feel my hamstring a lot more (so I guess sitting on my arse all day is one of the things it doesn't like).
    Thankfully neither seemed to bother me on the run. I had an enjoyable 8 miles running down to Earlfield, along the Wandle to Collier's Wood then back to Tooting along a trail path I discovered during the summer (which is now a bit muddy) and up the hill back to Tooting Common. Could feel the hammy but it wasn't bad and I gave it a little push around an obscure little road loop near the end where I have a Strava crown. After the hill back up to Tooting Common I felt my HR was a bit too high so had a cool-down walk the rest of the way home.
    Scratchy throat has gone but back feels a bit achey so I am going to have an Epsom salt bath before lunch.
    I should be fine for the 10 miler on Saturday though I'll judge how much I can push myself on the day.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, those Roadhawks are a neutral shoe as well.  They also have quite a low, and not as plush/thick, heel collar.

I hadn't realised it was a rest day at the Vuelta today so with no live cycling to watch I had a quick look and saw there was a session free at swimming, so I went along and did a mile, which I enjoyed.  I've heard people will do anything for a Fetch badge.  Well, I got a "three tri disciplines in one day" badge, which I didn't even know was a thing!
  • Cal - Any reason you only wear Nike? Something about the fit?

Rob- Good to hear your ankle is seeing progress

14 miles for me yesterday. Taper from today. Not feeling 100pct on any recent runs. Just feel tired. Think my body either craving a return to MAF or a bit discombobulated from delayed race training plan. Hopefully a rest this wk out of London will help. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - glad you're feeling a bit better and able to run today.

Re shoes, I didn't include my 2 pairs of Nike's that I use for the gym and circuits and social wear too.   Plus a redundant pair of Mizunos that are for scruff wear, decorating etc.

We weren't doing that sort of Pilates today but very slow controlled stuff challenging our backs, not allowed to use quads or hamstrings, mentally and physically quite tiring.   I couldn't do the session again today.😭. 

Big G - I  still have a shoe wishlist and the Roadhawks are on it 😄

You'll be signing up for an Ironman next. 😉

Rcouture - I'm sure a few days away will recharge your batteries.   It's a funny time of year, clocks changing etc., winter training ahead.  ☹️
  • Rcouture - yes, they fit well and I like them, simple as that. That's not to say I wouldn't try other brands but it's just a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I think the weather and change of hours is affecting all of us to a degree - I certainly haven't been feeling that awesome. A bit of rest should help.
  • Emmy - I must have been lucky in 2017 as stort 30 was bone dry.  Next year is their 10th so have is pencilled in.

cal good news the hammy is behaving, the race should be a good test. 

shades think I’ve used 6 pairs this year, I’m quite low at the moment so on the look out for a few pairs.  Have you had any experience with sauce my liberty? 

Big G roadhawkes are the only neutral shoe I’ve got on with.

Rcouture hope the break recharges the batteries 

Just wondering how many marathons people have planned next year, I’ve got 12 on my provisional list (8 of which I’m confident of doing) 

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Hope everyone is well.
    Rough few days here,towards the end of last week I was feeling a but run down,then Saturday I noticed toothache with an abscess,Sunday morning my right hand side swelled up like the elephant man,went to A and E as it was so bad,given antibiotics,seemed not too bad but Monday was horrific,woke up feeling a bit rough but by lunch time I had hot and cold shivers,I've never been as cold in my life,literally couldn't stop shaking,had to call an ambulance as I couldn't stop and was in no state to drive,OH was on way home from work,when they turned up they took my temp 39.7° !!! No wonder I was ill. Took me to hospital to put me on a drip to get the antibiotic in quicker and seems to be working,temp is closer to normal range now and swelling has eased a bit.All in all a scary day yesterday as I've never felt like that before.Also at various stages I was vomiting,had headaches,basically a mess.
  • Wow Ian, that sounds scary. I had something similar round about March but it wasn't caused by a tooth abscess - had a five day headache, back ache and felt very cold and exhausted. I didn't think it was the 'rona because I had no cough but I felt terrible.
    I'm glad you're OK now but take it easy eh?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - bloody hell that must have been a really frightening experience.   That was a vicious infection.

I hope you're back home now and making a speedy recovery.  

You need to take a good few days rest before even considering doing any running.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Rcouture: I think the dark mornings and evenings affect us all. Definitely rest :-) 

Robert: I've got 12 tentatively scheduled but who knows if anything in the spring will happen. All Dutch races are cancelled for the foreseeable. 

Ian: that's a scary sounding infection. Hope that you feel better soon
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - all Dutch races cancelled  :'(     Races still going ahead here, but under Covid safe rules.   Still a very limited amount of races as councils/police/landowners are cautious about giving the necessary permissions while cases of Covid are still on the increase.

Robert - I have 5 marathon/ultra entries carried over to next year but very few have announced 2021 dates so I'm unlikely to find anything to enter for a few months.   In an ideal world I'd be looking for another couple of ultras and another 8-10 marathons.   

shades think I’ve used 6 pairs this year, I’m quite low at the moment so on the look out for a few pairs.  Have you had any experience with sauce my liberty? 

You must have posted that from your phone, isn't predictive text crap  :D

It's not unusual for me to have a couple of retailers pages pinned to my taskbar to remind me to check frequently on prices and I did one day go through the whole catalogue of Saucony shoes.  I dismissed the Liberty shoes but can't remember why so I just had a quick look.   They are a performance stability shoe and highly rated and you could get high mileage out of them, that's fairly unusual for a performance shoe, but the reason I dismissed them is that the drop is only 4mm.   I have a couple of pair of 4mm/5mm shoes but for a low drop I prefer a highly cushioned shoe such as my Cliftons or NB Fresh Foam More.

6 miles for me this morning in the wind and rain.   First 3 miles out was quite tiring as relentless headwind, so was good to get off the main road and return on the back roads with the wind behind me.   Ankle fine today.

Gym later.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Crikey, Ian.  Really sorry to read about that.  Hopefully you're on the road to recovery now.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Thanks all,yes it was very scary,back home now and temp is nearly back to normal,resting heart rate was 84 when assessed by doc,was 56 when I used my HRM last week.Still got some swelling on the side of my face so hoping the antibiotics take it down then get an appointment to fix it properly.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - must be a relief to be back home and recovering well.  Take it easy and don't rush back to work.   That's a high RHR, I expect it's coming down nicely now.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes it was down to 66 this morning so going the right way.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    That's good Ian.   Hope you're able to eat.

First race I ever DNF'd was at 16 miles in Taunton marathon, many years ago.   As I ran along the road I felt really strange and the traffic lights ahead of me danced in front of my eyes, I knew something was wrong so I stopped and made a poor marshal drive me back to the start, only 2 miles as it's a double lapper.   When we got there he tried to make me go to the medical tent but I suddenly felt alright and I refused.   So had some water and a coffee and drove home, was so cross with myself for the DNF as I felt fine.

Next morning my RHR was up to 84 and I put it down to being so cross/disappointed about the race plus a bit of dehydration.   I went to work but by lunchtime I was home in bed with was probably the worst throat virus I'd ever had.   So in hindsight probably just as well I'd pulled up when I did.

I've never recorded such a high RHR as that again.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Good news you're getting better, Ian.

4.5 miles this morning on what has become my "recovery from injury"-route.  Today's was the best run I've had for a few weeks in terms of the achilles, so I'm seeing that as a positive.  Mustn't go crazy though!
  • Ian - Good to hear you are on the mend.

Too many posts to catch up on!! But I hope you have all had good races/runs.
    Well, we did it and are now married! Weather was great on the day, as it had rained earlier in the week! Spent a week in the Scilly Isles, so had to run around St Mary's for 10 miles, but have only run 4 times (I think) over the 2 weeks, so legs refreshed.
    Back on it this week with 12*400 and 4*200 in 1:31/30/30/32/28/32/30/25/27/30/28/26 and 39/41/39/40 for the 200's.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - congratulations to you both.  So good to hear that the wedding went well and you managed to get away for a honeymoon too, especially after all the upheaval and uncertainty of this year.

Big G - that's two consecutive days of good runs.   Fingers crossed 🤞
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Steve - congratulations!  Great news on the getaway too.

For anyone who is an SiS fan, they've got a "taster bundle" with a good discount at the moment.  Use "TASTER10" and you should the bundle for £10 delivered.
    https://www.scienceinsport.com/taster-bundle
  • Ian - Wow glad your back on the mend and continues to get better.  

Shades - yes last post was on the phone, whilst watching football on the ipad and some trash TV.  The drop could be an issue for me too, also not really looking for a performance shoe.  Your first DNF would have been a fine line between quitting when you did and something serious.

Big G - Have you used or have any views on GT4000s £75 in sportshoes (£67.50 with discount).  Good news on your recovery from injury route.  I've developed a 5 mile flat route that I seem to cling onto too much.

Steve Congratulations and delighted it all went ahead and the weather behaved.

Ankle still too bruised to run, the scabs on the knee are annoying but hoping to get out tomorrow or Thursday for a light jog.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, I haven't used those GT4000s, but that's a good price.  I would be tempted myself, but the 2000s aren't really working for me at this moment in time with the achilles (it's odd as the GT-2000s have been the shoe I've used the most over the last few years).  Presuming they're similar, the 2000s for me have always been a high mileage shoe and usually are ones I use in all weathers and on the good quality trails I run on around here.
  • Steve, congratulations, mate.
    No run today - got out at 6am for a 4 mile walk and then went to the gym later for elliptical and bum/ham stuff, so it feels like I've done enough for the day. Will run again tomorrow.
    Rob, good luck with your recovery.
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Ian - Glad you seem to be on the mend. That sounded really scary, can't believe how quickly you got so ill.

Rob - You seemed to have come through that fall without too much trouble. Try and make it through to the end of the year now without doing anything else!

Steve - Really lovely news. A big congratulations to you both. Can't remember.. does your wife(!) run too?

Shades - Glad your ankle has not proved to be anything more serious. I've been on this thread a while now and I don't seem to remember you having any long period off running due to an injury. what's the longest you've been struck down for?
    Not that I'm injury obsessed or anything. :|

Still no running from me. Have been left with this dead leg feeling down my right side and it hurts to bend down. I wake in the night with cramps down my leg too although this doesn't bother me so much during the day. It is minimally better but is taking an awful long time to heal. Disappointing as it's school holidays as well so i have the time to run in the daylight. Nothing as bad as when i had that awful back pain though. Unbelievable that shifting some tables on the 28th August would result in this. I am never moving another table EVER.

On a COVID note my son tested positive but somehow the rest of us seemed to avoid it and have all had negative tests. Not quite sure how that happened as we hadn't realised he was positive before he had the test so weren't avoiding him or anything.However he does spend a large part of his time barricaded in his bedroom so maybe that might have been a good thing on this occasion!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    MF, really sorry to read about your issues still.  Those injuries that are't brought on from running are so frustrating!!  I was out for ages last year with a non-running shoulder issue which was so annoying, and very painful too.  Good news you and the rest of your family have managed to avoid Covid.  Is your son okay?  One of my OH's Dutch vet friends has it now, but her main symptom seems to be that she's very tired at the moment.

I went and did another run/virtual class/run combo today.  3 mile run, 45mins on the bike, 1.5 mile run.  I really pushed myself during the class which meant my legs were like jelly at the start of the second run but I got into it after a few hundred metres.  The 3 mile run was to MAF, but there was zero chance of that happening on the second run as I couldn't get my HR down after the bike.  I have to say though, I really enjoyed it, and in a way the run was a cool down after the bike I think.  Those distances/times are more or less what I'll be doing if I do that duathlon in a few weeks so I can clearly get around it okay, although today I wasn't "racing" the run segments.

OH is off today so we're going for a walk and some breakfast shortly.  I'm ravenous so I'm looking forawrd to that :)  
  • MF, that's rough on both counts. Hope your son is OK and that you will get your leg back.

Big G, that sounds pretty tough!

Lovely morning this morning, although a bit chilly, so I went out around 6.30ish and got a 10 miler done. Pace was a lot slower at that time of the morning - it's amazing how much slower I am before 7am versus after 9am. It's all down to stride length - clearly I am a lot stiffer early on.
    Pretty happy with the run as hammy wasn't too bad, but QL was niggling and while my pace was easy, HR was a bit higher than I'd like. I guess I'm still getting over my mini-cold at the weekend. Hopefully I'll be fully sorted by Saturday.