Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I often don't go out for 90 minutes too but I have two or three coffees with a lot of hot milk and that with the caffeine stops me being hungry pre run.   But if I'm running a bit further, say on a Sunday I will have a small breakfast and like Ian I can run soon after.

In an ultra the amount you eat at any one time is small, no more than a couple of mouthfuls really, so no more than a gel so you should be able to get used to that with practice.

Ian - that's a good chunk of mileage you've done this year.

Yes, you should be fine increasing runs to 4/5.  But if you feel tired then rest.   I expect your immune system has taken a knock back, intravenous antibiotics must be powerful and will take time for your body to build itself back to normal.  At least with the lockdown there's no temptation to race so ideal for you just getting back to your usual running pace.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    7 miles this morning, light rain but quite pleasant.   Wore my Clifton 3's which have 700+ miles on them and the cushioning still feels so good, don't think they'll ever wear out.
  • Yeah, had the same thing today. Actually had a better night - woke at 3 but managed to go back to sleep until 5. I ate something at 6, planning to run at 9, but then it started chucking it down. Got hungry again waiting for the rain to stop so had a second breakfast and then had to wait for midday again. Weather was lovely by then but I really had to bully myself out the door as, the longer I leave it, the harder I find it is to make myself get out there.
    It was a decent run, anyway - covered 11 miles. Legs felt tired but pace was decent, at least until the last mile when I came to a busy road junction and had no option but to stop. Annoying. Traffic seems to be a lot worse at lunchtimes than mid-morning, so I'll try to avoid making a habit of it.

I would normally have rested today (I generally don't do more than three days in a row) but the weather looks bad on Sunday so I'm trying to avoid running then, which means I need to get 5 days in a row instead. Hammy was a bit grumbly so I may have to end up resting tomorrow and sucking up the bad day instead...guess we'll see.
  • Shades - gutted I wasn't fit for 2019 DD, could be a bank holiday weekend race in 2022.  Nice when you get some decent miles out of trainers.

Big G - 250 runners for DD if it takes 10 mins (approx 6 every 15 seconds) I suppose they could give everyone the extra time at the final checkpoint.  It's a hard race to seed, so much can happen, as we saw Ian's a fantastic runner but he had a hard time out there.

Ian - I won't be doing any speed work for some time trust me, I felt comfortable at the time and didn't consider consequences, they were only teeny little 400m segments lol.  Well done on the bonus, nice for the company to recognise it and comes at a good time of year.

Cal - must be frustrating, have you considered or tried any liquid foods like shakes or soups?  The issue I have is IBS food goes straight through so need to let it pass before I go out.

Day off work today, originally had it off for prep of WW50 tomorrow.  Went shopping at Aldi  and picked a few bits up at Tesco before going out at lunchtime for 8 miles, lovely day and kept the sunglasses on for the duration.  Was the first time I'd been out other than running since lockdown, the shops seemed busier than normal.

• Rob, I once had a protein shake three hours before a 5K. Big mistake. What I've found is that if I'm going to eat before running, it has to be almost entirely carbs, otherwise I won't digest it.
    Roads were very busy when I went out - there doesn't seem to be a lockdown at all. Except that I can't go to the gym. :(
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - maybe lunch time runs will become your new routine for the winter when the mornings are so dark.   You're very disciplined to go out later, don't think I could do that.

I was going to run later tomorrow, as soon as it's light, but we've got 40mph+ winds coming in at 7 am so I'll go out a bit earlier.

Robert - unlikely DD will be on that BH weekend as difficult to get marshalls over a BH.  I think DD was moved before when we had an extra BH.   So would most likely be the following weekend, just in case you're lining up your excuses 😉

Sounds like you've got your running mojo back again. 😃

I've got quite a few pairs of shoes over or close to 500 miles but I looked at the list today and I can honestly say that none of them feel close to end of use.   At the moment as I'm not doing long runs I am being very disciplined and using all my shoes in rotation, but that means most shoes only get used once a month.  😮
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-I hate running in the morning,much prefer it later.I know what you mean about lockdown,traffic hasn't changed by me.
    I'm hoping when we come out of this that we won't be in the top tier as the North West now has the lowest R rate in the country,Wirral is less than 200/100k now so moving down.
    May have yet another injury forming,the fat bit under my foot was agony this morning,could barely walk and has been sore all day,hoping it's not bad but guess I'll see the next day or 2.
  • Ian I’ve seen that the nw have seen lower cases, spose could be their tier 2/3 before lockdown having an effect possibly.

cal - I feel the same about lockdown, ran though Hertford town earlier and a lot of people out and about.  Queues in poundstretcher which isn’t really an essential shop, noticed a men’s clothing shop now selling loo roll to get round the system.

shades 2022 could be a possibility for DD, just need to celebrate our 10 year anniversary early 😂 (8th June) 

have entered stort 30 next October, it’s an event I enjoy and £35 early entry fee and it’s their 10th anniversary. 

Just found out my uncle has covid (mums brother) he’s been ill not serious, just flu symptoms and lost his sense of taste and smell.

not sure if I’ve mentioned my mum, she’s locked herself in her house since March, she has been 30 yards to the post box a few times but that’s a big ordeal, she’s been in the car for a few drives to my sisters to say hello to her grandchildren.  Shopping has all been delivered and a few visits have happened in the garden in the summer.  She’s worked herself up about her brother but we swears he’s over the worst and it’s just a cold.  I’ve tried to encourage her out for a walk around the park but she’s refused. 

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I guess what happens coming out of lockdown will also depend on how the hospitals are coping.  Where I live rate is about 70/100 over last 7 days but hospitals in the SW have more Covid cases than in first wave.
    My hairdresser has made an appointment with me for the 7th Dec, so she's hoping she will be able to work then.

Now which part of your foot?  Under the ball, arch or heel?

Robert - that's a shame about your Mum, I've heard of others being too frightened to come out of shielding, of course a lot of the scaremongering press coverage doesn't help.   A walk outdoors is almost risk free and would do her good.   Hopefully when her brother is better that might ease her fears. 

Re DD 2022, that might work well for you then, you could celebrate your anniversary before DD.   After all you won't be fit for much after DD  ;)

I am so glad I'm an early morning runner.   If I was looking out the window now that it's daylight I would be procrastinating all day.   I deliberately chose to run towards Torquay today as I knew I'd be running into the wind but when the wind increased and the rain went from light to heavy I would have turned for home and the wind would be behind me.   My plan worked except the last half mile before I turned around it started to rain heavily and the wind was fierce, I had to battle along.   But it's mild and run was enjoyable.  7 miles done.  I was hoping to do part of the return run on the back roads but in this weather it was too dark, the main road was a bit quieter than usual so not so bad.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, sorry to hear that your Mum is struggling at the moment.  Being mainly indoors like that since March must be really tough :(  

It's very quiet over here.  Rain and wind means I'm unlikely to be going out anywhere today, plus no running still means there's not a lot to report!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-It's under the heel,if I put any pressure on it in the morning it feels really bad,if I lift my toes up I can feel the tendon under the foot is a bit tight so not sure if it's related.
  • Ian, hate to say it but that sounds like textbook PF. Try rolling your foot on a ball or bottle and see if that helps. Rob will have more advice as he's been dealing with it himself.

Rob, sorry about your mum...I'm not sure what to suggest, really. We all know the chances of catching it outdoors are very small but it sounds as though she's become almost agoraphobic.

Well done for getting out early, Shades.

I don't feel great today. A few nights of broken sleep and four runs in a row have left me feeling pretty wrung out. I did force myself out for a drizzly four mile walk so I've done something, but my body does not want a run today. I'm not sure it's going to want one tomorrow either, especially as it'll be wetter and windier than today, but I'll have to see when I wake up.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - definitely not your sort of running weather.   When do you think you'll be able to run again?  Is your foot better?

Ian - I agree with Cal, does sound like the dreaded PF.   Robert is the expert for that.  And mamafox too, she had an injection to heal her PF.

Cal - you've had a few days of disrupted routines so you probably need that rest day.

We've still got the 40+mph winds and heavy rain, it's going to calm down tonight then another dose tomorrow morning so I'll have to run in it again.   I did wonder if we were going to have some stormy weather as the seagulls that nest on the house opposite every year have returned, they haven't been here for months.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, the foot and, to some extent the knee, still isn't 100%, but the main reason I'm still not running is because of the back.  It's appears to be healing well but it does feel tight and if I stretch my arms or back I can still feel it.  I haven't taken any pain killers for a few days but it's a fairly large scar so I am being careful with it.  It's only been 8 days anyway so I'll probably give it a few more days, and probably I'll wait until the stitches come out.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades/Cal-That was what I thought but was hoping it isn't,I was rubbing it on a bottle last night and will do the same tonight,OH used to suffer from it so really hoping I dont suffer as long as she did.
  • Ian - if it is pf hope it’s manageable.  A lot of people only suffer from a mild ache and doesn’t last too long, myself and mf were quite a far way up the scale.

I know mf had a steroid injection and that worked well for her, I tried shockwave therapy with my physio but didn’t help, rolling the foot on golf balls cold cans/ bottles and prickly balls are good.  

Also a a lot of stretching starting from quads and hammies and most important the calves. Heel raises are a good exercise and you can add loading to it.

Strasbourg sock - when I used mine it seemed to be when I started to heal, keeps your foot stretched when you’re sleeping.

• Ian - Hope your PF is manageable. It comes and goes for me fairly persistently but so far mildly. I find rolling my foot on my daughter’s toy rolling pin while I’m working at my desk helps!

Rob - Shame about your mum. Our neighbour is similar and also hasn’t left the house for anything more than a hospital appointment and a couple of trips to the pharmacy since March. 

7 miles yesterday and rest day today. Could have gone out but thought best not to since this is the week back from my two week break. Looking at the calendar I’m a bit concerned at the effect this break will have had on me ahead of this half on the 20th. It does really look like it’s going ahead and that only leaves 3 weeks before a two wk taper. I’m not exactly sure where my fitness is but based on my MAF pace it’s gone backwards quite a bit. I guess I felt great before this break so if I can get back to par in that time, that will do. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rob-I'm hoping I've caught it early enough,seems a little better today,in terms of I can actually walk but can feel it still,off today so plenty of icing and resting it.I nearly fell on Thursday,caught my leg running over grass in a wire loop or something,managed to regain my footing but for a few strides I was heading down before regaining my balance,wondering if I've stretched it there and caused it.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - it's quite likely that your sore foot could be the result of your trip.   Let's hope so, but meanwhile the treatment would be the same.

Big G - my intention is not to send you to Dr Google, but do you think your heel pain is PF?
    You're being very patient about not running.

Rcouture - I'm impressed with the use of your daughter's rolling pin.   It's perfect for the job, better that a bottle or ball.   :)

Don't panic about your fitness it will return very quickly.   Don't start doing speed work or ramping up the mileage too much, 10 days back at MAF training and you should be there or thereabouts. 

I don't mean to be pessimistic but I'd be very surprised when this lockdown ends that we resume club training and racing.   There's talk of returning to Tier levels after 2nd December but it'd quite likely that is just for a short time to deal with Christmas then back into lockdown.   As there are so few races and competitions at this time of year they might choose to continue the ban at least until the New Year.   But that's only my speculation.   Just don't want you to be so disappointed again.

Wet and windy when I got up, as forecast.   Waited until daylight to go out but as it was so gloomy I had to wear my reflective vest.   Had a lovely 8 mile run as when I went out the rain stopped and the wind dropped, even the sun came out.  42 miles this week and ankle is fine, should be up to 50 next week.   :)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I had wondered that even before the recent chat about PF, but I didn't necessarily want to dwell on that as a prospect.  But over the few days or so I've been using the massage gun on the foot and lower legs very regularly....  I did go for a short walk yesterday (only about 2 miles) and it was relatively okay, but the knee was slightly tender when walking up the steps to my house on the way back, and I wasn't able to put the heel down easily.  I have been Googling but I've got a physio appointment via Zoom booked for Wednesday as a back up, so not sure how that will work remotely.

I too worry about us going through some kind of cycle of lockdown-"normality"-lockdown.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - just as well you have a physio appointment booked as it's puzzling about the knee and then the heel both developing within a couple of days, must surely be linked.

I guess you'll be able to point out areas that hurt via the webcam.   Is this the NHS physio?

It feels like I've got a full diary this week with two Zoom meetings.    :o
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, it's an NHS Physio.  I think if they can't figure it out remotely I may get invited in for a face-to-face, but they want to avoid people coming in unless it's urgent, which is totally fair enough.  Same with my mole on my leg - initially the GP asked me to send him a picture.  Fortunately for me though the technology failed on their end on that one, so I had to go in, and it was only when he referred me that they saw my back at the hospital.  I do wonder if the technology had worked on the leg I may not have then been referred, and then my back wouldn't have been spotted?

I can't help but wonder if some of this technology will remain in place even when all this is over with?  The other big one I had noticed is that even some small pubs and restaurants have developed an online food ordering system to avoid physical menus, and you just book and pay for the order via the phone (the places I went did have singe-use paper menus as well, for people without the technology).  I have a friend who is a solicitor for negligence cases and they've been doing their mediation and meetings online.  He did say it's actually better for the clients as they're in their own home rather than some intimidating office with a load of suits, and of course the solicitors like it as they don't have to travel.  He did say that one draw back is that he likes hard-copies of all the documentation as he doesn't like having to read and cross reference things on the PC.  I'm the same in that regard as I much prefer reading documents directly from the physical copy.

Going back to my knee/foot, I do have my trusty Trigger Point Therapy book to hand.  There's a muscle that runs from the fibula to the ankle, and it could well be that in that the symptoms seem similar to what is described in the book.  Not sure if it is, but I've been going over that with the massage gun as well over the last few days.  Over the years, it's probably my most used running-related book!  
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I'm sure some of the new format of medical appointments will continue to use online appointments and those without that technology more use of phone calls which is a good thing as a lot of appointments are time wasters or even worse those that don't turn up to the appointment.   As long as it stops at the NHS sending you a sterile scalpel in the post with a guide on how to remove your own mole then that's fine.   ;)

I don't eat out locally very often but I don't use my phone for paying for stuff anyway as when I'm racing (huh  :o ) I leave my phone for long periods in my car or hotel and I don't consider that safe practice.    I've never even used a credit card via my phone, I've never needed to and would be reluctant to do so too.  For a restaurant, unless I'd eaten there often and knew them well, I wouldn't be keen on paying up front but pay when I'm at the restaurant after I've eaten.

I agree much better for clients needing solicitors being able to do it online.  But a lot of solicitors are old fashioned plus like the opportunity to bill more time as a face to face meeting always lasts longer than a phone call or online interview.
    I prefer to read off a hard copy too, I have some online magazines emailed to me and I file them to read later and even though the subject matter interests me I can't be bothered to read online so have a couple of years of them to read sometime.

I'm assuming your sore knee and foot are the other leg than your achilles problem.   I wonder if the physio will question you on your strength work, glutes etc., as you shouldn't really be getting injuries when you're 'resting', so could all be related to a deeper problem like your back.
  • Shades - Yes that’s absolutely the risk and I’m prepared for that eventuality. It would be less of an issue this time around as worst case scenario I’ve got myself back up to base fitness ahead of new year marathon training which should have a much higher likelihood of happening in March  (I hope 😀). 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Well, speaking as someone beset by niggles, I hope you're all able to overcome yours.
    Rest day yesterday (if you call walking 8 miles a rest day) did me some good. Even with another split night (more reading and tea in the small hours) I felt fine when I woke up. I did, however, wait until 9 to go out as it was raining heavily before then. Once I did venture out it was mostly dry with a touch of light rain/drizzle at times and some gusty winds. The main problem was the absolutely enormous puddles. I avoided them for the mostpart, until I tried to cut through Wandle Park and saw the path I usually take was completely submerged. I set out on the other path but then saw that was also submerged a bit further along so I hastily backtracked and went around via the roads.
    I did 10 miles total - I wasn't sure how far I'd run today as I'd figured somewhere between 8 and 13. I ended up opting for 10 as that would give me a 10% bump on last week's mileage and would leave me fresh enough to run tomorrow should I so wish. Typically, the sun came out once I'd finished my run. Oh well.
  • Ian hopefully the niggle could be due to your trip/fall, when I fell a few weeks ago I got a bit of discomfort in the foot too.  

rcouture  just be sensible with the load.  I’ve seen a lot of races advertised for December will be interesting to see what happens if lockdown ends on the 2nd.

Big g wouldn't be surprised to see another lockdown in Jan/ Feb, then hope that the most vulnerable start with the vaccine and the better weather allows more 'normal' stuff to happen.

Shades good timing on the run, it was pretty bleak here too early.

Cal nice double digit miles running this morning, always better to feel positive about a run than do a few extra miles.

Waited for the weather to get better and went out for 7 mile run, my watch ran out of battery just before the end.  Lovely day lots of puddles and flooding bout thou.  Need to get some off road running in soon as have a off road marathon in 7 weeks.  (subject to covid restrictions)  

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - it would be great if we had some Spring marathons to do.

Cal - 8 miles walking isn't much of a rest day.   Good run from you today.  We've got a lot of surface water here too, plus very high tides, the river was flooded down at the quay this morning.

Robert - good running from you too.

Which off road marathon are you doing?
  • Robert OHaraRobert OHara ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    East Hanningfield on 3 Jan, very low key, self navigation running with a friend, just an amble around post Xmas to keep me away from the excessive booze and chocs.  I won’t be overly disappointed if it’s cancelled due to lockdown. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - that should be a nice blast of fresh air after all the seasonal festivities.   And will start our 2021 marathon list off nicely too.   :)

7 miles this morning, no wind or rain, nice not to battle the elements.   Saw a few other runners, more than I would normally see that early on a Monday morning.
  • All this talk of DD has got me thinking!!!

Tuesday I did 6*800m and 4*200m with reps of 3:02/6/2/3/5/1 for the 800s and 38/42/38/39 for the 200s.  3 miles at MP on Thursday (6:57/46/44) and a 14 miler on Saturday for 44 miles for the week.