Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, sounds like we were up and out at a similar time....

A slight change of plan here.  I didn't sleep great so ended up getting up early and got my run done before the race started.  Cold out, but I had wrapped up warm, including leggings (which I very, very rarely wear) and got 7-miles done, with approximately 5.5 miles of running.  I enjoyed the run out as I rarely run that early in the winter.  Although cold, it was dry so I had a good run.

I put the coffee on and prepared breakfast and I'm now watching the race coverage :)

OH and I are going for a late breakfast later in the morning at a favourite cafe of ours.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    15k in 41-mins in the Half.  Bonkers.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - 7 miles that's great.   No ice with you then?   Nearer the sea I guess.

I've just seen the Nike kit that the guys are wearing in the marathon.   Those orange shorts are hideous 🤢 and not very flattering.

I haven't had my 2nd breakfast yet, not so hungry as I didn't run as far as expected.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    No ice here, Shades.  There was a slight bit on one section where there was grass by the side of the path, but I just avoided that.   Other than it was good running conditions.

Adidas athlete, Kandie, just smashed the men's Half WR.  I'll be sending the Nikes back....(joking!).
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    That was great viewing.   Makes me yearn for an overseas marathon.   Can see why Valencia is so popular, conditions looked perfect and good road surface.   Spectacular finish straight too.

I couldn't see what shoes the runners were/are wearing as their cadence is too fast.   ;)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I was thinking the same as I'm also very much missing the travelling aspect of the marathons.  It's just over two years ago I did San Sebastian.  My club went to Valencia last year, and it is on my list as it does look a great event.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    That half was incredible,first 4 all broke the world record,there was a 100k bonus for doing it,wonder if they will all get it or just the winner,the race is paid for by a billionaire so he can afford it.
    Malta and Castellon are both currently showing as on in Feb ;-)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I think it's only the winner that will get the WR bonus, as the others won't hold the world record in their name.

I'm not booking anything overseas in the Spring, I think travel could still be an issue and I want to book with confidence that I'll get there and be able to run.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I'm pretty certain the earlier races will be cancelled or made locals only.
    I've been looking around April to see if there any possibles then, but won't be booking anything until it looks more definite.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I think that's sensible re overseas races.

Big G - send those shoes back, adidas runner won the men's marathon too  ;)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Fastest time this year I think as well, Shades.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Commentary absolutely dreadful throughout and he's now talking over the interview.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    I've enjoyed the commentating, I don't know who it is but I haven't found him annoying...as I often do  ;)
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Yes the interview annoyed me, he said let's hear some words from our winner then spoke over it all,and it was in English. I am wondering if he couldn't hear it though and that is why.
  • Options
    Well, hopefully I will finally get to do Valencia next year. Third time lucky. :/

I had these grand plans for today of waking up early and going out in the dark, running up to Regents Street to look at the Christmas lights and then back via Covent Garden. But when I woke at 5 it felt like the middle of the night so I went back to sleep for half an hour and then felt groggy and unmotivated. I almost sacked off running completely but persuaded myself to try and do 10 miles (the minimum I need for my weekly target, if I'm going to hit 2000 this year) and went out in the rain just before 8.
    Weather was not as bad as forecasted, though, and the rain stopped quickly, leaving me feeling a bit hot in my hat and gloves. I ran down to Battersea, along the river then turned off at Wandsworth and found King George's Park (where I ran yesterday), up through there, along two sections of the Wandle then home via Tooting. I still get very confused around Wandsworth Town - last time I tried to find the park from the river I missed it entirely, but this time I did find it but took a route that was about three times longer than it needed to be. Ah well.
    Pace was very sluggish again - just under 11 for most of it. While I tried to enjoy the route at least (I made a point of picking one I enjoyed, since I didn't really want to run at all) I was dragging for a lot of it.
    I logged 12 miles in the end, which I'm happy with under the circumstances - I just wish I wasn't so bloody slow at the moment. Not sure how I'm going to manage a decent half in two weeks, let alone a 10K on Wednesday but there you go.
    I'll do an easy run Tuesday and then maybe a couple of miles very slow on Wednesday morning (I usually do a short run in the morning if I have an evening race).
    Sleep has been better so I hope that and a couple of easier days will help me do a bit better.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Cal-How many miles does that put you on now? Glad I tipped over the 2000 a couple of weeks ago.
    Long run today,all of 4 miles,weather was perfect,foot felt ok so hoping it is ok again tomorrow.
    What would anyone suggest to build up again,keep it at 4-5 miles but build days up to 5,or go a bit further but keep to 3 days?
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    We found an abandoned kitten in the hedgerow, we couldn't get him at first, he was really meowing and it was very wet and cold, I'm not good with cats, very much a dog person so I climbed in the the hedge to encourage him out towards my friend, who is a cat person, We took it to my vets and cat friend rehomed him after no one claimed him, vet said they don't think he was feral and apparently black kittens are hard to rehome. he's living a very warm and loved life now and has 3 other cats for company. she named him Rio.  I've been for a walk today as Milo still isn't feeling right, If he's sick again I'm phoning the vets tomorrow. he was fine on walk, not sure how far but was out for about an hour and  half. he's curled up next to me a sleep now. Depending on Milo if I run or not tomorrow as was planning Gym in evening. food wise all good it's nice to feel in control of something again. 

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, well done for getting out there.

Jelly, great news the cat has found a good home.

Ian, I'm in a similar dilemma as you.  I've opted for every other day, and try to run/walk for 5 or 6-ish for most of those, although every 4th run (roughly) try and increase it slightly.  I did 7 today so I may try 8 or 9-ish on my next "long" run.  It's all dependent on how everything is feeling, of course.  I'm doing zero speed work, with everything at my MAF rate or lower, and I'm trying to keep it relatively flat.  I was speaking to OH about this earlier and I think I'm just going to stick with pretty much that though December and then see how I am in the New Year.  At the moment I'd rather err on the side of caution and finish the runs feel pretty good if possible.  On the days off I'll do spinning or cycling.

Talking of which, my bike had found its way inside, I've set it up on the turbo and I'm browsing Zwift.  I'm a lost cause, I guess ;)  I've been prompted to join Zwift as Torbay Tri are doing a weekly Zwift bike session through the winter, and at least it'll get me on the bike through the winter.  I do have that duathlon so need to do at least some cycling, I suppose.  I just need to get a speed and cadence sensor and getting advice on which one to get from the Torbay Tri Chairman as I type.  Once I'm on there, I may end up doing less spinning classes at the gym, but will still do some swimming every now and again.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    The post race interviews with Kenyan or Ethiopian runners are all the same - with the exception of Kipchoge.   They all say it was a good race and they're very happy.

Cal - Valencia marathon does look good.   Do you have a deferred place for 2021?

Is your 2000 mileage target that important?   I think you should ease up and not think about target mileage just focus on feeling good again.
    As you're not feeling as fresh as usual a morning run on race day might not be such a good idea this time.  It might leave you lethargic by evening time.

Ian - I would suggest every other day for the next week and still keep the distance short, no more than 5 miles.   PF will easily return if you do too much too soon and you want shot of it for good.

Jelly - good for you rescuing the kitten and your friend for rehoming him.

Poor Milo, hope you don't have to take him to the vet and he is better tomorrow

Big G - I think that's a sensible rehab plan.   I'm sure you're going to end up doing a triathlon at some point.  ;)

Had a phone call from the leisure centre to say my Circuits class on Wednesday is cancelled, no surprise really as my instructor is not back at work and they don't have cover.   The upside is I will run that day instead and I may take tomorrow as a rest day if it's icy again, we're due another frost and the roads don't appear to have dried out much.   I'll see how it is in the morning, if it's OK I'll do a short run.
  • Options
    Shades, I should do, yes.
    I hope you don't get any more ice - that's absolutely my worst kind of running.

Jelly, that lovely that you helped the kitten and he's now safe and loved. I am a cat person...just don't have one as my flat is tiny with no garden.

Ian, honestly, just listen to your body. I usually increase the distance a mile at a time and see how it goes.
    I'm on 1864 I think....but I do round down.

Big G, you do seem to be heading for a triathlon at some point!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - ice for me too is the worst of all weather conditions.   Normally I would have turned back straight away but this morning I was trying to find even a small loop ice free.   Lots of crashes and several roads closed due to the ice.

Why not go back through your spreadsheet and add up the true numbers, I bet you'll find another 100 miles to add to your year's total.  All without leaving your flat 🙂

My electrolytes have just arrived. 😎

I also ordered some sugar free tabs, trying the For Goodness Shakes brand this time.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I saw there was an error at the 5k at Goodwood today - I think the other distances were fine.  It was only 4.6k as the lead bike turned them around too soon, but not sure why there was a lead bike for the 5k as apparently the other distances didn't have one.  They've adjusted the times but how annoying for the runners.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    The general advice is roughly what I was thinking,if everything goes well my hope is to have a 30 mile week by the end of this month,then 50 by the end of Jan,then I can start training properly again,this is obviously dependant on how I recover each time.
    Big G-As part of our house move we are renovating the garage to a home gym when we move in,we have a 4 car drive so don't need the garage so we are going to insulate the walls,get rubber flooring down and get a treadmill and exercise bike in there,pop a tv on the far wall,then OH home keep fit stuff can go there and the lads weights also.It already has electric going to it so that's sorted,it is gonna cost a fair bit,but we got a little more than we needed for our house so investing it in that.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    That sounds great, Ian.  I've been thinking of similar.  I do have a garage but the car has never been in there.  Mine doesn't have electric though and getting it in there isn't easy/cheap, but I'd like to do it at some point and get my bike in there on the turbo.  For now it's in the spare room where OH has her exercise stuff, so not ideal but it'll do for the winter, especially as it seems very unlikely we'll be having visitors any time soon.
  • Options
    Good running all and nice to see the injury recoveries seem to be progressing. 

Jelly - That really is a shame about black kittens. We used to have two cats including a black one but he sadly got mauled by a fox a few years back which was awful. 

13 miles this afternoon along both banks of the Thames. Lovely if quite chilly, especially in 5 inch shorts 🥶. Took it easy particularly as felt very vague whispers of achilles/knee. Went away eventually but will up the targeted exercises/stretching I’ve started doing for them. Taper anyway now so hopefully that will also help to clear it up. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Just had a look at Valencia and out of 20k 75% have deffered to 2021 so won't be many places available,I will keep an eye on it though as it is definitely on the list now.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that is a good come back plan.    You'll be busy at work this month plus with the house move you'll be busy anyway.   Great news on the home gym, have you got a date for moving yet?

I expect after the great coverage of Valencia yesterday the race might even be more attractive to overseas runners.   Wonder how they'll allocate the places that they have left for 2021, don't think it was a ballot before, just first come, first served.

Big G - I'm sure having electric to the garage adds value, but maybe not as much as the cost.

Rcouture - I didn't know that about black kittens either, if I was getting a cat I would prefer black as I often wear dark colours and cat hairs wouldn't show.

I hope you have some warmer kit for January/February, I'm sure you'll need it at some time.   Enjoy what's left of your taper, don't overdo the stretching/exercises this week  ;)

I woke in the night to go to the loo, it was about 2 a.m., I looked out the window and cars all very frosty but the road/pavements looked nice and dry.   Happy to see that as I could then run today, got up at 5 a.m. for my run and started getting my stuff ready for run, then looked out and it had since rained and frozen. 🥶  So a reluctant rest day today for me, but OK as that was pencilled in anyway.    :(
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Entries open today for Windermere Marathon 23rd May 2021

Brathay Challenges | ASICS Windermere Marathon
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    That's a shame about your reluctant rest day, Shades.

I went spinning this morning and had a good session again.  They've been fine whilst I haven't been able to run or get the bike out due to the weather, but at 45mins I want some longer rides.  That's my main motivation for getting the bike on the turbo and getting Zwift set up as I'm hoping it'll encourage me to do some longer rides through the winter, plus I really do not like driving to the gym as I feel it's a waste of time.  Also, doing group rides with the tri club should be something a bit different.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - yes, annoying about the weather but able to reschedule my training plan so OK.   We had more rain after my post earlier today and that caused worse conditions than yesterday, multiple crashes and dangerous on the pavements in town too.  Sun is out now so hope it dries up the road so I can run tomorrow morning.

I have today had my deferment of Conne confirmed so am not losing training time.

Of course winter is even worse for cycling, limited spells of decent weather. My friend that does IM doesn't do any long rides until Spring, she's in Lancs so weather often harsher than down here.

Do the Tri club do a long ride every weekend?