Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - Mince pie marathon 🤮   that would probably put you off mince pies for a very long time  ;)

Hard to believe it's 6 years since Claire died.   Hope the will is finalised today, don't solicitors love to do things in their own time  :#

That sounds like a good arrangement for Christmas day, especially making his favourite pie for dessert.  If my mum was still alive I think that's the sort of Christmas day she would have wanted and I would have left her with substantial leftovers to nibble on later.

I think Teignbridge has higher number of cases than Torbay now.  I think we're up to 90/100k now.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, we'll take plenty of food so he can have a meal the day after plus other leftovers.  We'll make it nice.  

I know, 6 years is incredible really.  Seems like yesterday in some ways but also a lifetime ago, because I suppose my life is very different now.  I do still get involved with the WAY group on occasion, and of course young people have been losing partners throughout the pandemic but haven't been able to meet up with anyone, which must be incredibly tough :( 

Talking of Covid, it's even impacting the zoo.  They were supposed to be exporting a load of birds to Europe today, but that's all been cancelled.  They got two new tigers from Denmark (I think) last week, so they're glad that was all sorted before the more recent travel restrictions.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I wasn't bothered about my number and email being up last year but wasn't sure about it.
    Crazy first few hours but eased off a bit now,can't be as busy as yesterday so hopefully ease a bit today.
  • Options
    Wow Rcouture, that's amazing!

Shades, nice hilly run there. Why don't you like the roller? I have a hard one and use it a bit before most runs although I use a hockey ball on my glutes.

Big G, I could probably eat 4, even 6 mince pies, but I'd struggle beyond that. And I'm quite greedy. :D
    Glad the tigers arrived OK, at least. I love tigers.

Decent run today - 10 miles fartlek. Two slow miles to warm up and then varied my pace for the rest. No flat out sprints but did a few faster bits of varying duration and got some Strava segment PBs, which always cheers me up. Could feel the hamstring a bit by the end but it's not awful. I'll use the gun on it later.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - a lot has changed in that 6 years.

It must be very lonely for the newer members of WAY this year and for those that were ready to think about new relationships too.   I'm sure they've all been supporting each other.

I saw on the local news that 2 new tigers were expected, not seen any photos, I suppose they allow them to settle in first.

Can't have live animals/birds stuck in a van in Kent, hopefully borders will reopen soon.

Cal - I've only tried the roller once when we had a class in its use, it hurt, a lot.
    Maybe I'm just fortunate, I don't suffer from tight/sore/,stiff muscles pre or post run.   Exception being post race (DOMS) or post gym, neither of which would be helped by foam rolling.

Don't think I'd like the gun either 😉

A hot bath is my limit for treatment.  😊

Good run from you today, the hamstring is recovering.

Ian - I do hope so, you're tempting fate by saying it can't be any busier 😉

Gym was good but they had made a mistake putting up an 11:30 session and by the time they noticed a load of us had booked in.  
    First time since last lockdown that I did a glutes/leg specific session.   My knees were a little sore on the split squats, maybe due to all the downhill running this morning, so only did minimal number of reps.  
  • Options
    Cal - That’s a nice run. Is a Fartlek occasional speeding up at random points of your run?

Big G - That sounds a sensible plan for your dad

Shades - I get tight calves all the time mainly due to the lower drop on the Hokas. I use the below which works wonders:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Physix-Gear-Sport-Muscle-Roller/dp/B016X4WPZ4?pd_rd_w=R9VNw&pf_rd_p=3c0ea6a9-0f9f-4783-9009-98ef5b3ec48e&pf_rd_r=QAVXNKFXEPFWJNM8V21Q&pd_rd_r=f64e77f3-2f60-4f75-a628-c9a68801dd18&pd_rd_wg=2MzXW&pd_rd_i=B016X4WPZ4&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_m_rp_1_sc

Rest day for me today. Legs pretty sore from my time trial yesterday. I sent the Strava of my run to Runthrough as a virtual replacement for the race. It was either that or do the run on the postponed date next September which is a week before Brighton mara (in theory). I’m not fussed about virtual races but am always keen for a new t-shirt!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - that looks like an instrument of torture  :o not for me thanks.
    If you keep up with the calf strengthening exercises in time you shouldn't need to use that.

Your solo run yesterday deserves a new shirt.   Hope you will be able to run a half marathon before your March marathon.
  • Options
    Rcouture...yeah, that about covers it.
  • Options
    Easyish 7 miles, starting in the dark and finishing in daylight a little before 9am. It was actually mild enough that I went out in shorts and a T-shirt, although it did rain for the second half of the run. Legs were sluggish at first but felt much better than I'd expected after yesterday's 10 - my bum was aching enough yesterday evening that I went out and walked a couple of miles to loosen it up a bit (and look at the Christmas lights and trees around the neighbourhood).
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, I think we were running at more or less the same time, and for the same distance :)  

So yeah, 7-miles today, on the sea front again.  It was mild but raining from the start I so wore a jacket which was the right decision for me.  Nothing to report really except it was blustery again on the sea front again, and no issues wth the achilles today.  The NB have ticked over 200 miles and are still going very well, although at some point in the next week or so I may try a pair of my Asics (either model) just to see what they achilles is like in those.

OH is off now for a couple of days but it's crap weather so don't expect we'll do much today at least.  I may jump on the bike for a Zwift session later.  Tomorrow the plan is to run in the morning and then start preparing/cooking what we can to make it easier for Xmas day and the "meals on wheels" service :) 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - lovely and mild here too lots of rain.   I hope the roads dry before we get the sub zero temperatures on Xmas Eve otherwise there will be ice on Xmas morning and no run.    :(

Big G - I put up a price watch on the 1080's on RunRepeat and I've had a couple of emails, price down to £90 now on Amazon, not sure if the men's are dropping in price too on Amazon.   Not intending to buy at that price but might be worth keeping an eye on it.
    Good that you're confident enough to try out your usual shoes now.

Rest day for me today, first rest day for 10 days.  Pilates followed by upper body session in gym.

Braved Aldi last night for weekly shop, very busy but no panic buying, just the usual frantic atmosphere for the Xmas food.   Shelves all full except there was no milk, had to go to Sainsbury's on the way home for that, busy there too but not bad.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Correction £90 at Sportsshoes, £97 at Amazon.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    £90 is good, especially with the club discount bringing it down to £81.  Amazon in my size is £121.  I just looked and they have different colours at that price now - when I got the Black Friday deal it was only one colour available.  I guess it's because the Ver 2 are coming soon.  I do have two unused pairs of them, but I am tempted at that price as I think they'll basically become my daily trainer for a few months.  A very minor concern is that I'm not sure if they'll be super durable on anything other than tarmac/pavements; I am almost itching to get out on some trails (I very nearly did an impromptu detour today) but I am not sure if the sole will hold up well on that sort of terrain (gravel/mud/twigs, nothing too technical).  What do you think?  

My Asics Gt2000 are fine on virtually anything if it's not too wet/muddy, and the Sketchers were the same.  The Sketchers only ended up in the bin as I tore the upper on a branch, but I'd done over 700 miles in those on all sorts of terrain - I reckon I would have got another 200 out of them if I'd not wrecked the upper.  Can't get them again though as they seem to have been discontinued and I can't find the next/similar version of them.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I've pinned the Sportsshoes page as I might be tempted, especially with the club discount too.   I'm not so sure if it's because the next version is due out as the previous version v9 is selling for the same price as the v10.

I think the sole could be a bit slippery on wet surface type mud but I think on any other type of surface, stones/gravel they would be fine.    As I've mentioned I use them for my hilly runs and in the wet the grip is superb on tarmac, I can run with confidence in them.   I'm not really the person to ask about off road   :D
  • Options
    Rcouture - That's a superb time and massive improvement!! You'll be able to target sub 95 mins in an actual race.
    Shades - Manchester marathon training should start around the time DD is on, so will probably end up giving it a miss.

12 miles with 6*1m on Tuesday (6:39/35/34/35/38/30), should be at MP-10s, so maybe a bit too fast. Easy 6 miles today.

• Options
    Nice running all. 

Shades - In the end I settled on the Brooks Transcend 7 to rotate in with my Arahis. They are the max cushioned adrenalines basically. I haven’t run in them yet but on paper they look good in that they are stable but without the crazy firm stuff from asics and they have tons of cushioning. They are heavy clunkers but I don’t mind as long as they are plush. 

Another rest day for me. Legs still feel trashed so not even sure I’ll run again by Christmas. No sense of injuries, just general DOMS all over. I want to get the MAF mileage back up asap given that end of March mara doesn’t leave that much time and between taper and rest I just want to get back out there. Definitely don’t want to take any risks though. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - that's OK, the hills of Dartmoor will wait until another year for you  ;)

Rcouture - the Transcend get great reviews, hope they suit you well.

Re your DOMS, sorry I should have bullied suggested you do a 3 to 5 mile recovery run on Tuesday and the DOMS would be gone by now.   Although recovery runs after a hard race/run can be uncomfortable at the time they really do speed up recovery time.  Even a good walk will help.

The dreaded 10 mile tempo run again today, Thursdays seem to come around so quickly. 😢  I was expecting today's run to be difficult as I did my first leg specific session in the gym on Tuesday and could feel some tiredness in my legs and glutes before I started.   Really hard conditions today, strong north wind which meant that where I normally have a tailwind for the last 3 miles of the 6 mile tempo section I had a very strong headwind instead and bitterly cold.   Times a lot slower, obviously.   But I'm not complaining about the wind as it's drying up the wet roads and pavements really quickly and if it stays like this today we won't have ice tomorrow, I do love my Christmas Day run.  🎄

I have cancelled my gym session today as have already done 3 sessions this week and I can feel it.   Just booked in for Tuesday when they reopen after Christmas.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Lovely run here today. I started at 7:30 when it was just getting light, and although cold the skies were clear and the sun was out from around 8am.

I did a hiller loop today (first time in a long time) before getting to the sea front and there were loads of runners out today. I knew two so stopped for a quick chat with each of them. Lots of swimmers and paddle boarders too, as the sea was very calm today, and it looked great in the sun.  

10 miles done and it felt really good to be out there this morning. 

As a side note I went on a short gravel path and the NB are definitely no good on that terrain as the gravel just falls straight down the back of the inside of the shoe, meaning I had to stop to empty them. At least I now know :)
  • Options
    Good for toughing your way through that, Shades.
    Nice 10 from you too, Big G - I guess your achilles is feeling good now if you can deal with the hills.

Popped into Sainsbury's at 6am (it's opening that early this week - it's usually 7) for veg. A lot of empty space in the fruit and veg aisle which I guess is down to the problem with the lorries in Kent, but I was able to get what I needed - mostly salad veg and a small pack of sprouts for tomorrow. I'm not planning on a big Christmas meal, just a chicken breast, sprouts and potatoes (but I did buy a pud last week, which I adore. Unfortunately the gluten free ones are often free of nuts too, which I love, so I'll just add some nuts of my own).

After that I did a 5 mile recovery run, very slow. Still dark when I started but there was already a huge queue for the nice butcher shop in Balham, and queues were starting to form outside various shops in Streatham when I went past. Glad I don't have any more shopping to do.

It's definitely colder and there was a sharp wind so I had leggings and a jacket on for this run.
    I'm intending to do a Christmas lights run tomorrow before dawn so really hoping it's not frosty, although temps are forecast to be 1 degree. Brrr!
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, yes, I just fancied some hills today.  To be fair, I have been thinking I could be okay on them for a couple of weeks but today was the first time I ventured out.  I just took it easy though.

Forgot to say, I did 1.5hrs on Zwift yesterday on the London route, and probably will jump on a bit later today for a ride if I can.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Big G - good news on the 10 miles.   I had only considered the sole of the NB1080's for suitability for off road.    If you still want to run off road, a pair of those ankle gaiters would resolve that problem.

I've just ordered a pair of the NB 1080's from Sportsshoes as they have the wider fit at the same price, so with club discount £81 including delivery.   Incidentally Sports Direct have the v10 today in my size at £82.50, v9 is £110.  Didn't look at the mens.

Cal - good that you got everything you wanted for your Christmas food, shopping is definitely not as enjoyable as it used to be, I hate any queuing too.   Of course more queuing in Tier 4 I guess as less shops open, but it's good to see shops like the local butchers competing and doing well against the supermarkets.

We're forecast -3 tomorrow morning down here, but I'm going out when it's light tomorrow as I need to be home at 7 a.m. to book Pilates for next Wednesday as there will be a scramble to get a place.

I just have to go to the library today as if we should move to Tier 4 I need to have a full quota of books in stock.  Need to cook my red cabbage too.  I dismembered and chopped up the turkey yesterday, all in the freezer.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I'm still hovering over the NB, Shades.  I probably will get a spare pair or two though as I really like them and they have kept me going when I couldn't run in other shoes.

Shades, I have been meaning to ask something.  Do you find you HR strap gives weird readings this time of year?  Mine seems to be (either very high or very low, until it settles down later in the run) and I was wondering if it was the colder weather and maybe I'm not sweating as much?  I do wet it before I go out but it took about 3 miles today before it was producing what I felt were accurate readings.  

Cal, well done on your run too.

I see there are a few races coming up, which I think will have a chance of going ahead.  There's a Half in May in Exeter (Great West Run).  I've not done it before but it's quite a big race I think but they're talking about waved starts etc and surely in May, when cases will drop anyway (hopefully!), that may have a reasonable chance of going ahead?   It's 2 weeks before DD so if my training has gone well it could be something to focus on for a quick time I guess.  They have as early bird offer at the moment; I had always assumed it was an expensive race but it's not too badly priced.  Also, the company I did my 5K (and aborted 10K) with have 3k, 5k and 10k events that they're planning.  Their racecourse route isn't a fast course though for me (it's got some long drags, which I was surprised about) and their other course (Powderham castle) is described as multi terrain, so I'm not sure about those as yet.
  • Options
    Hi everyone, just popping my head in. Have been absent from the thread for a while as absolutely nothing running related to report. It's all very depressing and I haven't even been lurking which is the first time that's ever happened. 
    I still haven't recovered from my table moving injury on the 28th August. Even the PF wasn't as bad as this. Although all that awful back pain and limping has gone I have been left with a dull dragging sort of pain down my right leg. I have tried to run on three occasions my basic 10k route but have been reduced to walking. It's like my leg has forgotten how to run and I can't seem to lift it up properly. I'm not sure whether it's a case of muscle wastage as I haven't run for so long and I'm just hoping it's going to get gradually better on it's own. Work has been tiring due to all the extra COVID protocol and we're one person down so I've been working really long days so that hasn't helped either I guess. Anyway, I did my last stint at the school this morning so now I'm on holidays until the 4th Jan.. will try another run in the next day or so as it's been two weeks since the last attempt and hopefully things might be a bit better. At least I've got some time off work now so can try and get out regularly even if it does involve a fair bit of walking.
    Have I missed any major thread incidents?!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - no, I don't get any random readings with my HRM this time of year.   However I have the advantage of being female so it fits very snugly under my sports bra so it's as tight a fit without being surgically attached.   I have heard of men complaining of a spike in readings at the start of a run in very cold weather.  You could try tightening the strap perhaps.  3 miles in must be quite annoying.  First mile for random readings is more acceptable.

I've done the GWR a few times in the past, well organised but never really a favourite, as you say used to be overpriced too.

Isn't there a 10 miler too at the racecourse, I've bookmarked that.

I did a marathon once at Powderham, was multi terrain, 11 laps, mentally was quite tough except I got to see the jousting at the time which was a pleasant distraction.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Mamafox - xpost.  I've missed you. :'(

So sorry to hear you're still not back running since your back injury.   Do you still have your running doctor?   I think you might need rehab physio to get you back running again.   Some strengthening exercises perhaps.

Hope all the family are well and you have a lovely Christmas.   Are you still in lockdown?
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Shades! I've missed you too.. your quiet words of wisdom and your continuous support, I feel much better already talking to you :)

I'll see how things go over the Christmas break and if it's no better then yes, I'll go back to the doctor and see if I can get referred on to a physio or something. Can't carry on like this.
    Yes, thank you for asking, all the family are fine. My daughter has come back from Spain for Christmas which wasn't expected, I haven't seen her since June so that was a lovely surprise.
    We are not in lockdown as such... just have to be in the house from 8pm. This makes absolutely no difference to me as I do bugger all in the evenings but the children are moaning a bit about it. We may be having another lockdown from next week so we"ll see what happens there. 

On a Christmas note have unexpectedly found some mincemeat in a supermarket here so spent the afternoon making a mountain of mince pies with the youngest to get us into the festive spirit. Will be eating those along with the traditional oysters and foie gras tonight which should make an interesting mixture!

Have a lovely Christmas Shadies :)

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Mamafox: lovely to see you on the thread. Hope that you can get some insight into what's causing the pain :( 

Happy Christmas everyone. It's been a very tough few weeks so I'm just dipping my head above the parapet to say Happy Christmas everyone. 
  • Options
    Mamafox, good to see you here but gutted for you that you are still unable to run. Could it be nerve damage? Definitely time to see your doc/physio. Enjoy your mince pies and oysters.

Merry Christmas, Emmy...and everyone.
    Just back from a (almost five mile) Christmas lights walk - there are a few spectacular roads near me, as it turns out, so spent a while hunting them down. Rather cold now - wish I'd worn a hat and gloves.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Mamafox - I'm sure your running doctor will want to get you back running too.

8pm, just as well it's not summer, would be harder to adhere to having a daylight curfew.

Foie gras and oysters sounds very posh  :)

Emmy - sorry to hear life has been a bit tough for you lately.   Hope you have a lovely Christmas and are able to relax too over the festive season.

Cal - lights must have been lovely to see.  Here far more seem to have decorated their houses, maybe to bring a bit of cheer at the end of a horrible year.

Very cold here too and it's rained, I'm hoping there won't be ice in the morning.

Happy Christmas to all. 🎅
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Good to hear from you MF, but sorry to hear you're still struggling :(  

Emmy, I hope you have a relaxing day tomorrow.

Cal, we went for a short walk this afternoon and it was cold out here too.

I did an hour on Zwift later afternoon to get the legs turning and otherwise it seems we've been doing a lot of cooking and eating today :)  

Merry Xmas everyone.