Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, on Zwift, the blue line here is the Zwift Box Hill and Leith Hill Strava segment :)  I've just had a closer look on Strava and those don't actually follow real roads, so it's just a GPS trace for the game; I think they may have mapped the real hills in terms of elevation and corners, and then transposed it to join up with real London roads to make longer routes in the game.  I know they did that for Alpe d'Huez anyway, which is a classic French climb.  The Zwift bits around Buck Palace (The Mall, Pall Mall etc) do follow the real roads.
  • Ian - Great that you managed a run. Sure you’ll be back in business in no time. 

Cal - Your Strava title for the run made me lol

15 miles for me along the river. Felt good but forgot my gloves as house was manic with the girls so felt like I had frostbite by the end. Anyway brings up 45miles for the week. Next week I need to increase weekday run distance so that long run isn’t such a big part of the mileage. Finding the time is another thing. 

I have also entered the Newport marathon on the 18th of April as backup for my end of March one. My OH is from the area so we’d stay at the in-laws and the course is apparently super flat which surprises me given I’ve spent a lot of time in wales and can’t recall a 26mile flat stretch anywhere 😀 ! 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture- I did Newport in 2019 and it is indeed very flat,it is on my radar if races are going ahead then.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - you'll have done the equivalent of Everest a few times if you have 3 more weeks to go.

Rcouture - good you've entered another marathon.   I looked at Newport too as I won't be going to Ireland that weekend as planned.   But I decided against it this time, it's on my to do list.

The Great Welsh which is the week before is also flat, in Llanelli, but subject to strong coastal winds if the weather is bad.
  • Shades - Yes I had a look at Great Welsh but it’s quite far from my in-laws versus Newport which is 10mins away. Also being a week earlier, it gives less time for things to open up pandemic-wise although I appreciate we have no idea whether races will be happening even in late April. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - I think Newport is the better choice for you.  I only mentioned Great Welsh as it's a flat course too.    Great Welsh is full anyway. 

I think Conwy is flat too, not sure, I might look at that for an autumn marathon, fair drive though from here.

6 miles, chilly morning but 100% ice free, so good to be able to run freely.    Saw several of the regulars that I see on that route back out today, 2 girls running alone, 2 girls that do a long walk together and a couple of dog walkers, could sense that everyone cheered by the better conditions.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    10 miles for me this morning, and it was warmer today (I was fine in shorts this morning) but still chilly.  There seemed to be loads of walkers out today, I'm guessing getting some exercise done before work or whatever else they have to do today.
  • Big G - Nice 10 miler. You seem to basically be almost back to normal mileage? Where are you MAF wise versus before your break?

Rest day today as ran 5 days in a row. I have ordered a replacement pair of Arahi 4 as current ones have 400 miles on them and I’m tired of waiting for Arahi 5 to release. Got them 25pct off on the runners need sale which is nice. Aside from the Arahi 4 I also have my eyes on the hoka carbon X 2 since I really like the current versions which I use for all long runs. I fear I am getting into Shades territory for trainer purchases 😬. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I think maybe the lack of ice might be why more folk out exercising today.

Rcouture - you can never have too many pairs of running shoes 😁.  
    I didn't realise you had the Carbon X, are you OK with the low drop on them?

I wouldn't wait for'new' shoes to be released, it doesn't mean they're any better than the previous model.   They will be £40-£70 dearer though.  If you like the existing model stock up on them when they're at a bargain price.  
  • Shades - I’ve got 200miles or so on the carbon X. They have similar drop to the Arahis which is why I bought the Transcends to rotate in and offset. You’re right about the new models not necessarily being an upgrade of course but in the case of the Arahis they are apparently fixing the upper around the Achilles which is my only issue with them. As for the new carbon X, I don’t have an excuse, they just look better 😬.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    RCouture, I haven't done a MAF test so it's a bit hard to say for sure.  But on a regular 10-miler of mine there are two flat miles - one at mile 3 and the other at mile 7 - and those miles were more or less in line with what I was doing last summer.  So I’m definitely not back at square one, but I need to do a test at some point really. I’m just enjoying the running for now though and not worrying too much about the stats. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - I agree they do look nice.🙂. If it was me I'd wait for the price to drop.

I thought the Arahi issue with your achilles was the drop, didn't know it was caused by the upper.
  • Shades - Yes I’ll likely be sensible and wait. The drop on the Arahis was the main issue yes but that’s fixed via rotating shoes. The upper issue is minor, it just sort of scratches the Achilles which is a common complaint apparently. 
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    I tested positive Tuesday and been very ill with it, still not out of bed, thankfully no medical help needed yet. I've been careful, didn't meet with family or friends over Christmas, high risk at work with children  as they are germ spreaders on legs. But as far as I'm aware I'm the only positive tested. Pretty low and can't see how I can run again. Not all of the horrible systoms are on the news,  take care Every one. 
  • Jelly - So sorry to hear that. Wish you all the best with your recovery. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jelly - you poor thing, this is not a time to think about running.   Just take as much time as you need to recover, don't rush to get out of bed.  Take care.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Take care of yourself Jelly, and I hope you have a speedy recovery.
  • Jelly, very sorry to hear that. I know what you mean about kids - I taught primary PE for 5 years and I was constantly sick. I hope you have a good and swift recovery.
    Rested today, too (although I walked 4 miles during a shopping trip to Lidl).
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    8 miles this morning, back to my hilly route.   Found it really hard today, for no particular reason, was glad when I got home.   Lovely and mild, 10 degrees, strong wind on the top of the first 2 hill laps though.   

When I got home I was just stretching up and my neighbour came out of her house with her dog.   Gorgeous ginger cockapoo but the dog always goes mad seeing me and goes into a frenzy of barking as usual, but not in an really aggressive way.   I said to my neighbour that her dog just doesn't like me but she said it's not you, he's frightened of the dark and barks at everything and everybody in the dark.   That made me feel better.   :)   Roll on lighter mornings and we won't be waking the street up.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Had an email this morning from North Dorset marathon, I have a deferred entry from last year.  It was scheduled for 2nd May 2021 but has now been cancelled after discussions with venue which is a school.   Entry now deferred to 1st May 2022 😢
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I got the email too, Shades.  It's understandable although makes me worried about DD, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it I suppose.

13 miles this morning and I really wasn't feeling it when I got up.  Not ill or anything, just not really up for it.  I did an impromptu flat run with laps of the green, which probably wasn't the best idea when a more interesting route may have perked me up, but I ended up being pleased I did it.

Best discount mile 1 and 13 due to the elevation, but the rest are really consistent, although miles 11 and 12 I did slow a bit.  Some miles were at 143bpm (rather than 142), but that's mainly because it was actually quite busy with people and sometimes I had to speed up a bit to overtake people and get back onto the pavement etc, so I'm too bothered about that.  Miles 2-12 paces below:
    9:27, 9:20, 9:30, 9:22, 9:17, 9:15, 9:09, 9:11, 9:11, 9:30, 9:31

So not especially quick compared to August's test, but consistent.  Back in April 2020 I was getting much more cardiac drift than this on a 5-mile route (my 5th mile then was 9:47), and today it wasn't perfect conditions at all, with some blustery wind, and also stop-starting with people as it was quite busy, even at 7am.  I'm not where I was in August in terms of speed, but I'm most definitely not bad at square one, which is really encouraging.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I see those ladies have been given an apology from Derbyshire police.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-55625062

Interesting as if I do my 10K time trail on the route I did today, I will see numerous people (I'd estimate I saw maybe 150 people out walking, running, cycling etc today, although I'm crap at estimating people numbers!).  If I drive a short drive to an industrial estate early on  Sunday AM, I will see far fewer people and it's easier to social distance over there too.  From that article it says "The Covid regulations which officers enforce and which enables them to issue FPNs [fixed penalty notices] for breaches, do not restrict the distance travelled for exercise."
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - well I think it's too early to say re DD, NDVM is because the school don't want or can't have the event there at the time.  I did say before DD will depend on Princetown allowing/wanting the event to go ahead.

Well that's good pacing today, you're rapidly getting back to your fitness level that you were pre injury.

Yes, I heard Derbyshire had withdrawn the penalty notices, not sure I agree with that as they were obviously meeting up socially, but hard to prove.

Re your time trial, it's up to you but IMHO it's against the guidelines and the spirit of the lockdown to drive 8 miles each way for a 'race' that doesn't exist.   Go out earlier, crowds will be less early on a Sunday anyway.   Just because it's not enforceable by law is no reason to do it, doesn't mean you couldn't be stopped and turned back by the police.   So many are abusing the lockdown rules/guidelines and because of that we may have what limited freedom we have curtailed even further.
  • Big G - Good to see we are on the same page regarding exercise and local areas. The issue I see is that Matt Hancock says people can go out for a long bike ride for instance, but everyone has there own definition of what is long, just like in running.

Shades - I do go out a bit later now, but still an early bird! 

Saturday I did 22 miles to test out a sample of maurten I had for xmas, with a view to using at my now cancelled ultra and future marathons. Run was 2m easy, 4m MP (6:54/50/52/37), 10m easy, 4m MP (6:56/53/54/40) and another 2m easy. Suspect the MP sections may have been too fast, defo the last 2 miles of each section, but felt good throughout the run. Followed up with 14 miles on Sunday for a 69 mile week.
    12 miles today with 2*3m (6:33/32/31) and (6:39/35/33) with a 1 mile recovery. Messed up programming my watch too!! Instead of 1 mile, I had set it to 1 metre, so wondered after my first 3m section why it wanted me to run fast so soon after finishing!!
    Still not sure if I'll do a virtual event, say 50k, or just go out and run something anyway around marathon distance.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah, that is more than likely what I'll do.  Sunday AM looks the best weather anyway, so probably I'll get up and get it done locally early on Sunday AM.  Rather than loops (which means some of it is on a fairly narrow pavement) I may just do up and down the seafront road.  Not ideal, but that's probably what I'll do.

Steve, I did something similar on my watch one time.  It was something like I wanted 400m reps, but I had set it to 400km reps, or something stupid like that :) 
  • How did you like the Maurten, Steve?

Easy 8 miler again, similar route to the one I did last week. Some inclines but nothing steep. It was a lot warmer and I felt quite hot in my rain jacket, but it'll be cooler again tomorrow.

Covid test came back negative, as I knew it would.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - I take it the Maurten was palatable to you.   That's a great weekend's ultra training.
    Nothing worse than a squawking watch when you can't understand why it's doing it.

Big G - well having good calm weather will help.   I'm finding the roads are quieter this week than last when I've been running early in the morning.  Not sure why, maybe some companies needed a few days to shut down and put staff on furlough.

Last year I did my Hadd test at a different location rather than drive the 2 miles to my usual  Hadd test route.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - reassuring your Covid test was negative, would be very worrying if it wasn't.

We're forecast double figures for my morning runs until Friday.
  • Steve - That’s some pretty serious training. Can’t imagine a virtual 50k. 

7 miles for me at lunch. Great to be back in shorts. Meant to rain heavily the next couple of days which I don’t mind. Just pleased it’s warmer. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, as you say, probably it takes some companies a few days to wind down again.

The last few days I haven't done much Zwifting as I've been a bit tired from the running, but I fancied a session today, so I jumped on and did an hour and enjoyed it.  The Tri club did their first Zoom/Zwift session yesterday and I think it went well.  I wasn't able to attend as I had Trotters committee meeting but hopefully I'll attend next Monday.  Rest day from running tomorrow so I'll probably do another Zwift session or two.  It's OH's birthday tomorrow but she's working so nothing planned there, although I expect I'll walk to work with her for my allotted exercise.