Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, ha ha, the thought has crossed our minds actually, but it's not easy to do here as the garage isn't convenient.  There are some great ones out there where people have converted rooms or garages at home, with turbos, treadmills, weights etc, TVs on the wall, fridges in the corner, coffee machine, lighting, mirrors, stereo, sink/water, etc.

Jelly, I was wondering the same thing as Shades really, but you have to do what is best for you.  Just take it easy though, and don't put the pressure on.  I know you're keen to get back to it and you'll know when the time is right, but try not to push it.  Maybe some short/gentle walks with Milo first and just see how it goes?

Rest day from running for me today, as planned.  I was tempted to go out because I only did 6 yesterday, but I'll stick to the plan as legs are a bit tired after the bike yesterday, and I am planning another ride later anyway, so I don't want to over do it.  It may mean the week's mileage is down a bit, but no problem...or I may be able to make it up.  I'll just play it by ear.
  • Shades - I was considering what I would do in the likely event that end of March mara is cancelled. I want to train as much as possible in terms of mileage/long runs because if this does happen I don’t want to be in a position regretting having not given it my all and also it’s just not in my personality to cut corners/take it easy because of the risk of cancellation. So if and when it does get canned and I’m sitting at 60 plus miles a week or whatever, what to do then if there’s not viable replacement till autumn? Reduce mileage/long runs to like 40per week of base until then?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I bet you're glad it's a non running day as this is not your sort of weather.   I'm already on my 3rd pair of socks for the day and it's only 9:30.

A gym would be nice, but I'd much rather actually visit a gym as there's the social aspect of training too to take into consideration.  But in a pandemic a home gym would be very useful.

Supermarket nice and quiet.  That's my only reason for leaving the house this week except for running.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - sorry xpost earlier.

You certainly couldn't complete your marathon training and then expect to keep yourself at that level (marathon ready) for months and months.   I can't predict what's going to happen race wise but I honestly don't think you'd have to wait until the autumn to run a marathon, it may not be your first choice of marathon but I do think there will be options.   We're all on this thread in the same boat except that most of us have run a marathon before but we have the same dilemma training wise.

Obviously you want to be on the start line of your March marathon as well prepared as possible but beware, a million things go wrong before and during a marathon so please don't focus on making this the 'perfect' race, that puts too much stress and anxiety into the training and can lead to a miserable race too.

If there is no viable race for you until autumn, then yes, you would drop the mileage, ease up on the long runs and then pick up the training plan again say 10 weeks before race day.
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Shades - If you needed any confirmation that Hadd is the ideal training for you then I guess you've got it now! 

I bought a lovely orange kettle bell from the Lidl bargain bin a couple of years ago.
    It has spent its entire existance being a very efficient doorstop  B)
  • Shades - Yes I suppose I am mildly panicking about putting all this work in and for it to go to waste. I’d never do a virtual marathon as a first and another half would feel anticlimactic. I guess it’s just miles in the bank for the future. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture-I think/hope we will be racing again around May time.
    Big G-That is sort of the vision we have for our garage,treadmill,bike,kettlebells, weights,tv on the wall with an extra multi box linked up,hadn't thought about a fridge but we are buying a new one so our old one can go in there.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Mamafox - yes to Hadd suiting me, it's Thursday tomorrow and no tempo run  :D

My kettle bell gets occasional use, no more than that.  I used it in my glute workout briefly, it's sitting in the corner with the glute band on it.

Rcouture - I can't think of anything worse than a virtual marathon, pointless exercise in many ways.

Ian - do you have a moving date?
  • Ian - That’s the downside of living in London. I’d love to set up a home gym in the garage. A friend of ours got one of these which he swears by but which looks a waste of money to me: https://www.tonal.com/

7 miles at lunch. Drizzly and windy so my Xmas innov8 jacket came in handy. Slow at 10min/mi but pleased with HR at 137 which is where it should be at that pace. Will try a longer midweek 10miler tomorrow if can sneak the time from work. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-No date yet,I did ring the soloctors yesterday to chase them and they said it's going fine but didn't want to say a rough date.
    Rcouture- We have most of the weight etc already so not too much to buy,getting it insulated and flooring put in may be the highest costs.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I did walk to work with OH earlier and did 4 miles and got a soaking.  Not pleasant at all out there. 

I did a tough route on the bike today.  It's a longer, hillier route to start with, and then I went up AdZ again.  Ooooph.  I did beat yesterday's time up there though with a 68-min, but sub-60 is going to take some doing.  Not sure how to try and target improvements in climbing on the bike but maybe that's something I can look into.  The ride took 2hrs35mins in total, but then I turned around and freewheeled all the back down AdZ which only took an extra 10mins to do the approx 12k :)  

Sadly, I can't do this crouch position in real life, going down a 14% gradient!

• I wouldn't do a virtual marathon either, Shades/Rcouture. I know how much a marathon takes out of me, physically (and mentally) - I have niggles and illness following marathons and I'm not putting myself through that unless there's an official time at the end of it.

I had intended a hilly MLR today but legs were feeling pretty heavy. I got up a couple of hills in Streatham (one moderate, one quite big) before crossing the common to the bottom of a hill called Gibsons Hill which has 50m climb. The bottom isn't steep but it then gets a lot steeper before evening out again. It just seems to keep going. I'd planned five our six ascents of this but I was really struggling so I canned it after the third one and decided to check out a road loop near there - it's a horseshoe shaped road at the top of the common that's on a bit of a slope so I thought it might make a good circuit. I ran three laps of it (each lap is 0.6 miles) getting a bit faster with each one and that seemed to perk me up a bit.
    It was mostly downhill from there so my sluggish 11+ pace became a more normal 10+ and I had enough energy for a burn up another hill on the way back. Last mile was just under 10 so I'm happy with that turnaround.
    11 miles total with a shade under 300m climb so not bad considering I wasn't feeling it.
    I've had a bit of a dodgy time with my stomach this past week - I think it's reflux or something similar as I've had an uncomfortable feeling in my throat after eating some meals, although not all. Not sure what's brought it on - might be the fact I've drunk a few bottles of wine this month (all gifts) and I'm usually not much of a drinker at all - I can usually count the amount of times I drink in a year on one hand. So I'm going to knock that on the head and then look at my diet as well. If that doesn't sort it I'll have to visit the doc, but I'm trying not to do that given they're all overworked with the pandemic. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I tried to give that climb a go today but failed,I got to about 7 miles and my legs were dead and didn't want to completely ruin them for running this week,looking at the segments I'd have been about 80m I reckon,I was an idiot and went off to fast, 1 decent length descent I was actually faster than you,which is clearly a mistake.
    Got my next 6 weeks training planned so if it goes well I will be well set up by the start of march.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - not easy to pin a solicitor down, they like to say "in due course".   Good all is progressing well though.

Cal - hope the stomach settles down.  No dry January for you then  😉.  A few bottles of wine, you've made it sound like you've gone on a bender.  

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done on giving it a go, Ian. Maybe next time.  
  • By my standards, I guess it was, Shades!  :D
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal Jones said:
    By my standards, I guess it was, Shades!  :D
    I'm sure you're not the only one during lockdown.

7 miles this morning, change in the weather, quite chilly and a cold wind.  I managed to miss the rain, still ended up with wet feet as quite a lot of surface water around.  I went out later today so I could do the return part of my run on the back roads, definitely getting a little lighter in the morning. 

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    10-miles done today, and I had a really good run out.  A slight variation of one of my regular routes and although chilly, I did enjoy it as a) it was dry and b) hardly any wind.  Something is definitely happening with my overall pace at MAF (in a good way), so I'm really pleased.  I've got a 1-mile uphill stretch (not steep, but fairly constant) that I today did in 9:01.  Previous best was last August when I did 9:15.  Since last April when I started MAF, there are loads of times when I was very close to 10mins, and sometimes over 10mins.  My flat mile I today did in 8:04, which is my quickest time along there.  End of April, when first starting MAF, I did it in 10:01.  I can feel myself getting drawn into overanalysing it all again, which I want to avoid, but I am quite happy with how things are going at the moment.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Just heard that Dad's having his first injection on Monday, so that's good news.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's great progress on your MAF training paces.   You've had a long spell off with injuries, you deserve to self indulge yourself in stats as your speed returns/improves.

Good news on your Dad's vaccination.

Right, daft question:-   can you be with two breakdown services at any one time, AA/RAC?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I don't see why technically you couldn't be with both breakdown providers.  I don't think it's like car insurance where you can't try and claim the full amount on two different policies in the event of any claim.  In the case of breakdown cover, you pay the fees one way or another (i.e,. directly, or part of a general car insurance policy), and then just make the one call out in the event of a breakdown.  I'm definitely no expert though and that's just my own thought on it.  
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Shades-Yes you can,Big G basically has it right,I know because we had it free with AA a while back when we bought something and we already had cover,asked them and they said it was fine to have both.
    Big G-Great news for you dad and also your running,really good improvements.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, I knew you would know.

Reason I asked is tomorrow I need to do my car insurance.   I usually switch provider every year but if I renew current policy with RAC they have this year offered free breakdown service.   I already have free AA cover from my car dealership but I won't know until end of Feb if I will get that for another year, with lockdown they might be cutting back on the extras.

• 10 miles for me at lunchtime which is longer than my usual weekday 7 milers since I’m upping mileage after all. Nice and sunny in London so went to Barnes and around the wetland centre there. Lovely run. I always put my phone on silent when running so came back to pandemonium at work with a bunch of folks hunting for me! All good in the end and run was definitely worth it 😀
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - I'm glad your phone was on silent, you need that 'me time' when away from your desk.   You have certainly bounced back from your virus/high RHR now.😁

I hear London now going to have 100k runners, 50k in the proper race and 50k virtual.   This is really going to spoil our races in the future if this carries on past the end of the pandemic, they'll accept more entries and dump them in the virtual race.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    BBC News - London Marathon organisers 'optimistic' 2021 race will have record 50,000 runners
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I agree Shades, I don't like the way it's going.  Call me old fashioned, but plotting a route around Paignton, Torquay and Newton Abbot (in my case) doesn't mean I've "done London".  Fine as a one off in what were/are very strange times, but I do fear Virtuals are probably going to become a permanent feature now :(  
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    They'll never be a feature in my life.  😬

Unscrupulous race organisers will jump on the bandwagon and have put in place facilities for say 1,000 runners, accept entries for 5,000 and tell the other 4,000 that they've luckily secured a place in their virtual race.

Bad enough London going for 50k runners in the actual event, far too many.   But I guess they need to make up the losses especially for the charities.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Even if London have 100k I wont get a ballot place.
    I'm not keen on virtual but as long as race organisers are honest then its peoples choice,if they say at the start you can choose virtual that is up to them,if they move you to a virtual after entering a real then that would be wrong.
    45 mins on the bike tonight as I've had stomach issues the last 2 days and didn't want to chance going out.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I think it's the 8th Feb for the ballot results this year.

Handy you can still do some exercise and not be too far from home.   Not been pigging out on the final Christmas pudding  ;)