Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal/Rcouture-Bad news about Richmond but not unexpected, are they having the elite race?
    I signed up for MK last week so will see what happens.
    Same route as yesterday today,and a grand total of 4 seconds slower,nothing like consistency.
  • Options
    Ian - Nice run. Yes they’re holding the elite one on the original date apparently. They had this to say on Twitter about the postponed May date which was interesting on the prospect of May races in general:

‘We’ve had constructive conversations with public health & the vaccine is just starting to kick in so the extra 7 weeks will make all the difference.
    The 8am start and sheltered course will help in terms of temperature.‘
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Ian - is MK the first marathon of the year that you still have in your diary?

Rcouture - that made me laugh, we're going through a big freeze and the email from Richmond is reassuring runners that it shouldn't be too hot in May  B)   

No run for me this morning.   When I got up it was snowing and lying nicely, so I was hopeful that by the time I was ready for my run there would be enough snow to be able to have a nice run in the fresh snow.   Unfortunately it stopped snowing and just left with a thin layer which then melted on the road and I could see that some of it was starting to freeze.   I had to pop out to put the bins out and the pavement still had a light layer of snow which was freezing and I couldn't tell if the road was wet or black ice.   Cars were driving very carefully and now there's been an accident at the bottom of my road, don't know if due to the ice or not.  
    So did my core tabata and my glute work out instead.   I'd have rather been out for a run but it was nice to work out in just a thin pair of tights and sleeveless vest instead of muffled up in loads of kit.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    RCouture, I wonder what MK know about the prospects, in terms of the specific conversations with public health?  I hope it does go ahead, but at the same time it does feel a bit out of step with what BoJo has been saying regarding summer hols etc.  OH and I are thinking of booking a (refundable) UK break away in April/May though.

Ian, nice run.  Consistency is key :)  

Shades, there's no snow here as far as I can tell, but it is cold and a strong wind again :(  
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I have Boston mid april,but I think that may be a little early to be allowed.
  • Options
    Big G - It’s Richmond marathon. I’m sure they have no particular insight on restrictions. It was just interesting that they’d spoken to health authorities in the context of finding a new date. We can be hopelessly hopeful they got a nod and a wink that mid-May would be fine for a race 😉. Who knows but I’ll take any optimism at the minute. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ah, sorry, I was mixing up my MKs with my Richmonds!  Let's keep our fingers crossed it happens in some form or other though.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - from the hints made about booking holidays this year at home and abroad I get the impression that it may be the travel that will be the limiting factor.  Perhaps as a way to control various mutant strains from spreading all around the country.  So we might be able to take a break but not out of our area.

Snow has gone now except for a sprinkling on the garden wall.   Very windy which is drying up the road nicely.

Ian - Boston will do their best to put on that race.

Rcouture - as the March event is the Olympic qualifying race, they may well have had some guidance that the date in May could be a strong probability.
  • Options
    Shades - That’s what I thought. It’s not any old race so fingers crossed they’ve had a steer. 
  • Options
    Very cold last night so wasn't sure if it would be possible to run today and there was another dusting of snow on the roof outside my window. I waited until nearly midday to run and by that point, I was less than enthusiastic, but the sun was shining and pavements were mostly clear. Legs felt heavy, though, and hamstring wasn't happy about the cold. I told myself I'd just do 4 miles but then 4 became 5 and 5 became 6. 

Next week is warmer so I'm hoping to return to some decent distances then. But I don't have a marathon until May (if it happens) so I'll need to pace myself.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    6 miles this morning.   It's warming up :) , was +3 with a feels like temp of -4.   Didn't wear my heavy windproof jacket today as layered up with 2 tops and a thin jacket, 2 pairs of tights but only one pair of gloves.  Generating a huge increase in the amount of laundry in this weather. 
    Very windy, gusts 40-50mph but the wind has changed direction and doesn't have that bitterly cold cutting edge as we've had for the last few days.

Just have to endure another couple of days of this weather then into double figures from Sunday.   😂
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    OH is having a frustrating time again at work (powers that be have decided they do need an extra vet and admin person after all after only just getting rid of two perfectly good people in those roles, and have also re-promoted her old boss back into the role that was made redundant in October without any comms whatsoever) so we had a takeaway curry last night to try and take her mind off it.  Not sure if that worked, but the food was very nice!

Still no running here although I think I may do a Zwift easy ride today as I am feeling quite a lot better and the GP did recommend some gentle exercise.

In case anyone is interested, Joshua Cheptegei is doing 5k in Monaco on Sunday, which is going to be screened live via the NN Running Team YouTube channel.  It's from 8:45am our time, I think, with Paula apparently commentating.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - good to hear you're feeling better and ready to do something.

That must be so frustrating for OH, but I suppose if new system wasn't working at least they are doing something about it.

I don't think I'll bother watching Cheptegei on Sunday.   He runs so fast that it's not worth settling down to watch that    ;)   
    I still have the indoor athletics I recorded on Tuesday to watch. 
  • Options
    Hello everyone, still lurking away here.
    I have run approximately four times since January as my knee is still no better. It is no worse but I still have this pain on the inside. I am managing to hobble round my 10k circuit now and again but it is soul destroying as it feels I'm starting from scratch every time. Normally that beginner feeling goes once the second week of running starts but I can't even get to that level! 
    Anyway, I had a mail from La Rochelle marathon asking me to provide a valid medical certificate (Haaaaaa!) so I finally made an appt to see my GP. He did a really good examination and thinks that the problem is an inflammation of the cartilage/meniscus and something to do with the rotule. This is probably a result of my changing my running gate whilst coming back from the moving table back inury. He recommends seeing a podologue with a view to getting some insoles. I was a bit disappointed as I was hoping it could be sorted by a magic injection like the one that cured my PF, he hasn't ruled this out but wants to try the podologue first.
    Have made an appt with the podologue next week as am on school holidays.
    There you go, that's my news.

Cal - Just to say that I often do La Rochelle and Cognac marathons, both of which fall in November. Sometimes they are only two weeks apart and I manage that. That is coming from someone who has never been able to do a Shades recovery run so you should be absolutely fine.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Lovely to hear from you mamafox.

I had to do a search on podologue, = podiatrist.   I'm not surprised that your GP said the injury was probably a compensating injury due to not being able to run your usual way after your 'table' injury.   But hopefully you won't need orthotics as you've never needed them before and you ran for years injury free, but if they do heal the injury then certainly worth having.
  • Options
    Finally found a small gap in my schedule today so went out for an impromptu 20min run at 7:45min/mi which is the first time I’ve run non-MAF this year. Bit of a shock to the system but good to get out and no ice. Will go out again for a short one tomorrow morning then look forward to normal service resuming next week. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - must have felt good to get away from your desk and have a run.

Rcouture/Ian/Cal - a friend of mine posted on FB about MK marathon as he's hoping to run it too.   MK responded saying they were confident that the race would go ahead if MK was in either Tier 1 or Tier 2 by race date.
  • Options
    Frustrating for your OH, Big G. Glad you're feeling a bit better.
    mamafox, I hope your foot guy can help and you're able to get back running again. I bet you're champing at the bit.
    Good pace, Rcouture - that's around my very fastest 5K pace and I'm nowhere near that at the moment. I think we're all looking forward to the warmer temps!
    Shades, fingers crossed eh?

I wasn't going to run today but I looked at the weather forecast and today was less freezing than tomorrow (it's going to be -5 again, brrr). So I left it until 10 and the sun was out by that point, although it was still freezing. I managed something of a tempo - two miles to warm up and then I attempted marathon pace. First MP mile was a couple of seconds slow but the second was a bit slower due to battling into an icy headwind. After that I picked up a bit and managed the other two in the 8:40s which is close to HMP so I was content with that.

6 miles in all...hamstring didn't much like it but it should be better once it's warmer next week.
  • Options
    Cal - What are you going to do until May racing (hopefully) in terms of mileage/long runs? Cut back a bit and rebuild?
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    MF, sorry to hear you're still struggling :(  It's so frustrating, isn't it.  I've no words of comfort really but hoping the podiatrist is of some use at least.  I had some inserts one time for an achilles issue although I don't use them any more.

Cal, nice run from you again and here's hoping it's warmer next week.

RCouture, must have been nice to turn the legs over a bit faster :)  

My Zwift ride didn't go well.  Riding at a very, very easy effort (i.e, not even breaking sweat) I lasted 20mins before some dizziness came on, so I stopped :(  Frustrating as I thought I'd be okay today but more patience needed.

We've been setting up some grow lamps indoors to help bring some seeds/veg on before they go outside.  They're on a timer, but when they're turned on I wonder if the neighbours may become suspicious about what we're actually growing.... :D    "Hello officer, would you like some tomatoes" would be an amusing conversation to have at some point :)  
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Hope OH has better times in work ahead,look at the positive at least you got 20mins of exercise,hopefully you can increase it soon.
    Shades-I just had a quick look at MK case numbers and they are only slightly better than us,hoping we both end up in lower tiers but will have to wait and see.
    Rcouture- That's a nice pace for a quick run,all those small miles will add up.
    Cal-Good effort in the wind.
    I squeezed my usual after work run in,a biting headwind for some of it,still shorts weather though :smiley:  as a bonus I had a tailwind up the last couple of miles so flew home, relatively speaking.
    Looks very windy again tomorrow but urs my day off so a windy 15 ahead of me.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Might not be in order,but if this is readable it's a good article about my clubs young endurance group.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Big G - sorry your Zwift session didn't go well.   

Ha ha at the indoor nursery, I expect a lot of people are now growing their 'own supplies'.   I think it's only if you have all the windows blacked out and never open the curtains that the police might become suspicious.

Ian - that's a great endurance set up they have in the Wirral.    It's what's always been lacking in this country is the support and facilities for coaches and athletes to be able to work together.

Re MK, they were higher than other areas last year and were moved up into a higher Tier, don't know if there was any particular reason that MK had higher infections.
    Good to see cases dropping in all areas, we're down to about 75/100,000 in my area now.

I've decided to take a rest day today, my calf is slightly niggly, not helped that I have DOMS from my glute work out the other day which is probably making my calf feel worse than it actually is.    I can't face another cold run right now, due to sleet/snow/rain too today.   But should be +6 tomorrow morning for my run  B) and then double figures every day after that. 🥵
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Good article there, Ian.

Shades, strange how neighbouring areas differ, but I suppose one or two very local outbreaks can have an impact on the area stats.  Numbers in Torbay were still a bit worrying for Devon.  Week before last numbers actually increased in Torbay whereas for every other area in Devon, bar one, they decreased.  I'm not sure of the reasons behind that, but in the last week the rate is now 106/100000 (down from 175/100000), so that is good.  I remember looking early December when figuring out what to do about Dad and it was about 55ish in Torbay though and for one week at the end of May it was zero n Torbay.  Let's hope we can at least get out and about in the spring/summer a bit more, as we were able to last year.  A long weekend in North Devon, for example, would suit us just fine at this point.

OH is working in Newton today but her car didn't start, so she had to use mine.  It appears hers doesn't like being used only once every couple of weeks, and we tend to use mine for the food shop so it at least gets a run out each week.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I wonder if the presence of Torbay Hospital keeps the numbers higher, more tests, more NHS staff living in the Torbay area etc.   

I've only been using my car once a week and only doing about 3 miles each time for the last year, even out of lockdown I only went to Clearbrook once.   Just shows how little I use my car, mainly food shop and races, not much else.     This week after the few nights and days of freezing weather it didn't sound too good when I started it.   Still started first time but the battery must be low as I generally am driving with headlights at this time of year too.   Due for its service and MOT next month so I'll get them to recharge the battery.   
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, OH used to use her car each work day as she used to drive to work, but she's been walking for about 8 or 9 months now.  I think she's only used it 3 or 4 times for the zoo when it was particularly bad weather, although she does use it when she works in Newton Abbot (roughly one day a month at a vet practice there, just to keep her hand in with the dogs/cats/rabbits etc should she need to go back to a normal vet practice at some point).  Mine basically only gets used for the shopping now, so we have two cars sitting outside doing nothing for 99% of the time.  Makes you think, really.  In years gone by we had four vehicles - my car, Claire's car, campervan and Caterham and they'd all hardly be getting any use currently!  Crikey.

Not too sure what to do as I'm sitting here feeling quite good and feel that I could do a ride, but I felt like that yesterday too.  I may jump on and if I feel dizzy just abandon it again, as GP was encouraging some gentle exercise.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I guess when/if I give up racing I don't really need a car.   I'm not prepared to switch to electric for all the usual reasons so that would probably be the time I give up having a car.

Maybe just do 15 minute session on the bike, if that goes OK you might be able to do another later today if you want.
  • Options
    Pfft -2 feels like -11 for my 4 miles this mornng. Nah didn't feel that bad albeit was a bit more rapid than normal and i did have my Rab rain jacket on last two days which seems to be a reasonable wind jacket too ;) Tomorrow warmer but even windier and today was 30 gusting into low 40's.... Tomorrow the gusts are more like 50.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    We are about 180 now,just over the average,hospitalizations seems low though which should help.
    Son has now been offered a vaccine as he is classed as medically vulnerable so the person who sees 3000 people a day will be the last to be vaccinated in the house.
    Very very windy here now,still hoping to get out later when it eases a bit.