Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, that's frustrating for you about the vaccine.  I'm way off getting mine yet.  Good luck with the run.

Keith, not great conditions for you regarding running then!   Well done for getting out though.

Shades, I did manage just over 30mins today.  Nice and gentle and I did enjoy it, so although not a lot it was good finishing the ride feeling positive.  I may jump on a bit later, I'll just see how I am, but if not I hope to get back on tomorrow.  Zwift have a large group ride for one of their toughest/longest routes next Saturday afternoon and I'd like to be able to do that and ride in a group if I'm well enough.  I've signed up, but at the moment I'm not sure if I'll be able to do it, so I'll see how I get on over the next week.  I can always start it and then just abandon if I don't feel right though and won't have lost anything.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith - well if you will live up north...

We've got 50mph gusts forecast tomorrow too, but at least the feels like won't be a negative, first time for quite a while, rain too.

Ian - well at least with the rest of the household vaccinated you should have a little more protection until you get the jab.   They seem to be rattling through the groups quickly
    I'm hoping that I'm in the next group, we'll see.

Big G - that's progress today on the bike.
  • I get feels like positives too, but only in the evening tomorrow once it warms up some more. I'll be out in the morning when its dry however but feels like -3 or 4 is nowt. Don't always even bother with hat and gloves run length depending. Tomorrow in that wind however ;)
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Nice and fresh weather this afternoon,feels like minus 7 and 25mph winds and snow,I'm with Keoth and it was still shorts for me,but I did wear gloves and a hat.went out for 8 miles but I was enjoying it so extended to 11.5,not quite the 15 I was planning yesterday but happy enough,another run tomorrow will bring up 45 for the week.
  • Shades - Sorry, thought that podologue was one of those words which is the same in whatever language.. but of course it isn't.
    Hope your niggle doesn't come to anything.. are you managing to do a regular gym session on your own now?

On a positive note I've recently completed a whole year of my gainage/stretching routine without missing one single day!! Due to my various injuries over the past year I've sometimes left certain stretches out but I've still done the routine. It's the one where I do my two spanish lessons whilst doing the plank so I've managed a year of spanish too. I note it all down alongside my running stats (or lack of!) which helps keep me motivated too.

My God, I've just read that and I sound a complete anorak  :/

Ian - Your club sounds fab.. must be really motivating for all those young people. Great way of training up lots of coaches too.

Big G/Cal - Yes it is extremely frustrating being injured this long and I am dying to get back running. I miss it all so much. Normally I am a pretty positive person but enough is enough.

Round my 10k basic circuit again today. Tried to ignore knee pain and got it done. Not sure if I'm doing more harm than good but mentally I felt much better!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Good mileage from you, Ian.  Great news.

MF, that's great consistency from you in your stretching routine and Spanish lessons.  Nothing wrong with being an anorak :)    Are you quite good with languages generally, then?  I do try with my Dutch, but basically I'm terrible.  I did 5 years of French at school (admittedly 30 years ago now....gulp!) and the phrase that sticks in my mind the most is how to order a kilo of ham....  If I ever go to France and someone wants a kilo of ham, I'm the guy to speak to :D   With Dutch I've tried the various apps but don't get very far; I think probably I'd need a 1:1 tutor to have a chance.

About to jump on Zwift for half an hour or so, then I'll watch the 5K.  There was a piece on YouTube yesterday where Cheptegei was getting ready and he seemed genuinely interested in Beatrice Chepkoech and her chances of the record there.  Seemed professional and focussed, but at the same time very humble.  It seems the course is better this year, where they've taken out some corners, making it even quicker....
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - 'fresh' is one way of describing the weather.    You're doing well increasing the mileage.   

Has PF gone completely now?

mamafox - I just had to look up gainage too, didn't really get a satisfactory meaning, is it core or strength?   That shows great commitment doing that and the Spanish for a year, I'm very impressed. 

No, I'm not doing a regular gym session at home.   Despite what folk say about what you can do at home, for me nothing comes anywhere close of what I do in the gym and neither would I get the results either.   So I will wait for the gym to open and then it will take me a few months to get back to where I was.   
    At home I do a gentle brief stretch before and after every run.  Pre run I do a few of my kitchen sink exercises, chest press ups and kitchen sink squats, that's only a couple of minutes and some mornings I do my core tabata too, all while drinking my coffee.   :) That's it.

I don't blame you for ignoring the pain and going out for a run.   We need our running mentally as well as physically, nothing replicates those endorphins.  

Now when are you likely to get a Covid vaccination?   We see lots in the press that the French tend to be more anti vax that other countries.

I'm hoping to be in the group that they're starting to vaccinate here this week.

Big G - you sound a lot more positive today?

6 miles for me this morning.   Had the most amazing run, temp +6, feels like +1, felt so good, even with the light rain and the gale force wind.  I could run freely in this temperature, only one pair of tights, one top with a thin jacket.    Birds were singing.   I love running.   :)

Balaclava went into the laundry basket, hope that I won't need it again.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, it's slow progress but I am feeling marginally better each day.  I still don't feel like I want to run though, but I did 40mins on the bike earlier and will attempt another ride a bit later on, all being well.

Awful commentary on the 5k.  Doesn't sound like it was the fault of the commentators but they didn't have a clue what was happening in the ladies race, as they thought the second placed runner was leading until a few seconds before the end.  Sounded like it was blustery conditions too.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - well that's good that you are improving daily.

I didn't look at the 5km, that's so annoying when poor commentary spoils the event.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, they had lost the ladies leader/favourite as they didn't know where she was.  They were focusing on what turned out to be the second placed lady, but the trouble is the leader was was actually a minute up the road!  Bit of a shame really.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    You can't help but feel sorry for the commentators when something like that happens.   
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, I don't think it was the fault of the commentators - they didn't have the data in front of them, and the camera was also focusing on the 2nd placed lady.  Paula was apologetic at the end, but they only focussed on the eventual winner a few seconds before the finish.  Oh well.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    It's not always better to have live streaming.  ;)
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-No it is still there,it is a bit sore this morning so may go on the bike instead after work.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - PF really is a bu$$er.   Maybe don't increase the weekly mileage any more for a while.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-The frustration is not knowing when it will be too much,sometimes it hurts after 6,sometimes when I've not ran,it was fine after the 15 last week,wish there was a pattern then I could react to that.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Are you taking part in the EA 5 mile relay this weekend? An advantage of living near a coast is you can really take advantage of wind at times,some flying times from our kids the last 2 days,you can get 4 miles of pure tailwind then 1 mile cross wind and with the winds it would have been great to run in.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I don't have first hand experience but I've heard that's what happens with PF, so unpredictable.

Right a little nostalgia now.   I did this event in 2013, back to back marathons at Clonakilty.  I had entered for 2014 but was injured and had to cancel my trip.    In 2014 there had been severe flooding in UK and Ireland but if you want to see how enterprising race organisers can overcome weather problems stick with the video at least until the 2 minute point.   Was a great event, not held anymore but the one off Clonakilty marathon is held late Nov/early December and one of the most popular marathons in Ireland

Clonakilty Back2Back Marathons 2014 - Tales from the event - YouTube
  • 3 felt like -4 this morning with er 32 mph winds and stronger gusts ;) Rather warm finishing off my 10k though despite all that albeit routed to come back downwind which is something i often do. Get the crap bit done first then everything is better from halfway ;)
    Pondering seeing what sort of 5k time i can do tomorrow so the warm up will be down the park run route ice checking as it might not have all gone by afternoon we'll see. THere is one long stretch of several inches of ice cos of the constant run offs on the cycle track and the effects of being mostly sub zero and ice formation.
  • Ian, no, I can't be arsed. I am way to slow to have my score count for the club so no point, really.
    Shades, obviously warmer where you are, it was Baltic here today.
    Good luck, Keith.

Rest yesterday so I dragged myself out for a long run today. Legs felt stiff and it was cold and grey and the wind was bitter when it blew, though fortunately it wasn't constant. The pavements were mostly fine but there were a few places where it was ice but, as it was a Sunday morning, I was able to run into the road to avoid it where necessary.
    I decided to treat myself to Anerley Hill (which runs along Crystal Palace Park) since I'd run down it last weekend but had never run up it. I almost did a reverse of last weekend's route, running down to South Norwood, only I ran around South Norwood Country Park rather than trying to cut through it, due to the mud and standing water.
    It was a pretty boring route, mostly along main roads, since I figured I'd have the best chance of avoiding ice, but it was also a mostly new route.
    I didn't check my Garmin except every now and then for distance so I was pleasantly surprised to see my pace had improved - only one mile over 11 (which had 53m of climb) and a few sub-10s on the downhill parts coming home - an average of 10:21 for the whole run.
    That takes me to 40 miles for this week, which is decent for a cutback. I'm over 300 for the year now.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Good video Shades.  Never seen that before in a race.  There is a race in Scotland somewhere that has a planned boat trip I think, and then runners get off the boat and restart running.  Can't remember which one it is off hand.

I did a second Zwift session this afternoon, which was about 40mins long.  I jumped into a group ride and put it in a bit of effort, and it was okay in terms of dizziness.  Not perfect, but okay, so I'll see how I am tomorrow.
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Shades - I take gainage to mean core work.. another word I thought was universal  :|
    Regarding vaccinations the UK is way ahead of us with that. My parents have already had theirs yet over here I know of no one who has had a vaccine. There is some vague talk of it starting in a couple of retirement homes as I know a girl who works in one but as of yet zero.
    That's a fab video. I watched it all the way through and it's made me want to go to Ireland to do a marathon. the scenery looks fabulous. Why haven't you done it again since.. does it clash with other marathons that you do normally?
    That was a lovely post too.. your pure enjoyment of your run really came across. I love moments when I run and for a time everything comes together and you're flying along and feeling alive and just loving it.

Big G - I'm not particularly gifted at languages. I got O level french and then living over here with OH and the children speaking the language and work, friends etc means it just gradually builds up. I think no matter how much theory you study the only way to really speak a language fluently is to spend some time in that country and in situations where you haven't got a choice but to speak the language. Saying that, after 18 years here I still get masculine/feminine words mixed up and I can't say a "u" properly or roll an r like this lot. Another thing I have never come to terms with is their obsession with bread or the fact that the world comes to a grinding halt between 12 and 2pm while everyone eats. A good few years ago when OH was working for a plant hire place he got called out to repair a cherry picker lorry. The cabin bit had got stuck up at its maximum height with the poor worker inside it. OH did his best but it was quite complicated and when at 12pm he still hadn't finished everyone downed tools and walked off for lunch leaving the poor bloke still stuck high up in the sky. Unbelievably the man stuck up there completely accepted this and waited patiently until everyone had eaten and come back at 2pm to continue the work on getting him down. I was incredulous at this story and I remember asking OH if this was normal behaviour. He thought about it for a bit, then gave one of his shrugs and said yes!
    Anyway, I'm wittering on again and going wildly off subject.
    No running for me today, shame as an absolute beauty of a day but I don't want to overdo it. Podiatrist tomorrow which is a first for me so I'll see what they come up with.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-That looks a fun event,twin skin socks needed there.
    Cal-I'm the same,even at my best I wouldn't trouble the scores so certainly not attempting it now,some brilliant times laid down already.
    Mama-My dad used to work on the boats and he said the Spanish were the same,everything was Manana manana.
    No running today,foot felt too sore,tried to get motivated for the bike but gave up after 25mins,think the mojo wasn't there.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - allegedly it's going to be 17 degrees next weekend in London.    B)

Big G - I don't think what they did at Clonakilty that year with the floods would be allowed in the UK, everyone would be shaking their heads and muttering 'health & safety'.
    I think that was Cape Wrath marathon with the boat trip.   That was one of the reasons I never went up to do that race as I don't like to have a break as it's so hard to get going again.

mamafox - the top response on my web search on gainage was this:-

Noun. gainage ( uncountable ) ( Britain, law, obsolete) The horses, oxen, ploughs, wains or wagons and implements for carrying on tillage. The profit made by tillage; also, the land itself.

then there was a translation of French gainage to English sheathing, examples were sheathing of electric cabling.
    Then others were all in French and showed pictures of gyms and the plank exercise. 

No wonder I was a bit confused.  :smile:

Love the story of the poor bloke stuck up in the cherry picker.   I guess the Brits have their own ways too.

The Back2Back at Clonakilty isn't held anymore.   I stopped doing doubles a few years ago too.   I still want to do the single marathon at Clonakilty but haven't got round to it yet, when I was working I'd usually run out of holiday and budget by end of November, plus I'm not that keen on running a marathon at that time of year as can be cold.   It's a very popular race and in a lovely part of Ireland 

Clonakilty Waterfront Marathon (runclon.ie)

Good luck at the podiatrist today.

Ian - when the soreness has passed maybe shorten your runs again.   Perhaps just an hour a day.  The PF obviously doesn't like the longer runs.

7 miles today.   Lovely weather 8 degrees, was able to do the return part on the back roads as getting lighter in the mornings now.
  • mamafox, that poor man! I hope they at least got some food up to him.

Ian, sorry to hear your foot is bothering you. I hope it eases up soon.

Shades, definitely warmer today - it was drizzly so I had a light rain jacket on (over T-shirt/arm warmers) and felt rather warm, even though I was going at the pace of treacle. Yesterday's run left me quite sore (not sure if it was the cold, the slightly faster pace or the hills) so I thought I'd give the old recovery run a go as it seemed to work well last time. Did 4 miles. Ice has all gone but the flood by the playground on Tooting Common is back so I got wet feet again. Ugh.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    MF, that's a funny story :D  The different cultures are interesting and it's part of the reason I enjoy travelling to different places.  Good luck with the podiatrist.

Ian, frustrating for you again :(  

Cal, you're really getting into those recovery runs :)  

Shades, great news it's getting lighter again.  In a few weeks it'll be the best time of year for running :)  

It's nice weather here, but still no running for me.  I did walk to work with OH and back through town as I needed some bits from Lidl.  Very quiet on the roads and very easy walking to OH's work, as it's half term now.  I did see a couple run past me and they were dressed up like it was the arctic (hat, gloves, jacket, leggings), but it was quite mild so they must have been uncomfortable I'd have thought.  They were chatting away though and seemed to be enjoying it, which is the main thing.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I'd rather have wet feet than have to deal with ice.

At least next long run you should have mild warm weather, which your hamstring will probably prefer.

Big G - I'm often amazed the number of runners I see that obviously didn't check what the weather was like before going out for a run.  Some underdressed some overdressed.
     There's a guy that runs every day down the Torquay road and he wears the same kit winter or summer including a beanie hat, tights, shorts and a jacket.
  • 7.5 miles earlier today. Back in t-shirt and shorts. Lovely stuff. Hoping to hit >60miles this week as long as work cooperates. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - it's good to run in more comfortable temperatures after that cold spell.   Hope that nasty work schedule doesn't hinder your training this week.

My 8 mile hilly town route this morning.   Was torrential rain when I got up, didn't want to wear a jacket so decided to brave the rain.   Just as well, as it more or less stopped as soon as I got out the front door and conditions were perfect.   Windy at the top of my hill loops but it usually is anyway.   Noticeably lighter this morning too.   
    I saw a family out this morning and as they were running then walking I think they were doing Couch to 5k as a family.    Mum was in charge and wearing the headphones, she and teenage daughter in running kit.  Son, (about 12), and Dad didn't seem quite so enthusiastic and they were in jogging bottoms.   But it was good to see a whole family out exercising.

I see the Guide 14's are out.   Could only find one review so not really enough to judge.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    RCouture, great to be running in normal running kit, and that's great mileage for you too!

That's nice seeing a family out exercising, Shades.  On the way to work with OH, there is a young lad out on his bike most mornings - I think he has a loop that he does a few times as we see him at the bottom of a hill and then a few minutes later as we walk up, he appears back at the top and rides back down again.

Walked to work with OH today - at about 6am it was chucking it down with rain but at 8:30 when she leaves for work it was fine.  Nothing really noteworthy about my walk except it was very quiet out, but it's my outdoor exercise done for the day.  Planning a Zwift ride soon.

A fairly large group from Torbay Tri are jumping into a Zwift race tomorrow evening so if I feel up to it I may join that as it would be good racing with people I actually know.  On a group ride the other day, i did practice drafting a bit so it'd be good to use that in a race :)  I'll just see how I am though as I'm still not 100% and do have dizzy spells still on occasion.  I'm really hoping I'm okay for Saturday as there is a longer group ride I'm very interested in, but again I'll just have to see how I am.  I am getting better but I know I'm still not totally right yet and it is taking longer that I'd anticipated.

Talking of new shoes, I wonder how the new super shoes from Nike are going to get on in terms of sales?  They still have loads left of the Vaporfly Next % in most  sizes on their store (in a new colour way), but they're releasing Vaporfly Next% 2 which doesn't really seem much different - I think it has the same midsole, with a change to the upper.  With many runners who are interested in these shoes probably having a pair more or less unused in 2020, will it be a success?  Probably it still will be, but it'll be interesting to see whether they sell out quickly or not as they have in the past.  A couple of the YouTubers say they're not bothering with the new version, which is interesting as they acknowledge that their most popular videos (and hence the ones that make them the most money) tend to be Nike ones.