Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - my instinctive reaction to the email was to go and have a look at the flights, but then I'd start looking at hotels etc.   I so miss all the time spent investigating and planning overseas marathons.     Anyway I resisted the temptation.   
    I do have an Aer Lingus flight booked for April that I need to do something about, although the flight will be cancelled and I could get a refund, but I'll try and find another race to transfer it to.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, for what it’s worth, the return flight doesn't seem to be available yet. The race is on 31st Oct but return flights don’t seem to be available in November yet. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - maybe it's only seasonal flights to the end of October.   I've missed out on travelling to quite a few autumn marathons as no flights later in the year.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Parkrun with their dodgy PR again I think.
    They say they can start from April 4th,but that is only events run in a covid secure manner,and they will never be covid secure as they aren't willing to start people in groups,my reading of the rules is they shouldn't start until June 26th.
    I see me and Big G are going to be next on the vaccination list,hopefully done by end of April,which should mean both done by the end of July,so summer holidays should be good.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, regarding parkrun I'm not sure why they didn’t just fall in line with the published government dates rather than trying to bring the dates forward.  As you say, they've said all along that they don't want to make significant changes to how they run their events so they couldn't start in April anyway.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    ....kids parkrun from april....but its easter so they are waiting a week?
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Don't see how they can even have the kids as it says organised running activity can take place ,if it is Covid secure.
  • Looks like Big Half deferred to august from 25th of April. 
    Following the government announcement of the planned roadmap out of lockdown on Monday, it is clear it is not possible to deliver a socially distanced The Vitality Big Half as planned on Sunday 25 April and the event will now go ahead on Sunday 22 August.

7 miles earlier for me in the sunshine. Legs felt back to normal.  
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I refrained from commenting on the parkrun press release as you all know I have a very poor opinion of parkrun management.

But you've all said exactly what I thought when I read their latest fairy tale press release.

Ian - great news that the vaccinations are speeding up.  I think Cal and TR will be ahead of you though.  ;). Form an orderly queue please.

Big G - I see Davey has moved his events to Easter weekend, he permits under ARC but should still wait for Sport England/UKA to release info on road and trail races as they are considered as the authorised body for running.

Like parkrun I don't think Davey realises EA's press release only relates to T& F so far.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - sorry xpost.   I guess that's no great surprise and if all goes well that could be a race as near normal as possible in August.

You can now skip next week's tempo run if you like  ;)
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Shades- my wife had hers this week, she is O55s, im 53 so in next group. Target is for all O50s by April 15th.
    I can see a situation where the uk has been vaccinated, but due to the EU mess and not wanting the oxford jab lots of countries will be a long way behind, so cant see any overseas travel for a long time. Once other countries see the uk becoming normalish again then they might be keener for the oxford jab.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades/Big G-How does being unfit alter HR? I presumed that I would just hit higher heart rates quicker.Today I wanted to add a bit of effort so went for 2 easy,3 @marathon HR then home.I usually start my marathons about 155,allowing for the difference in watch and HRM I thought I'd hit about 150 and see how it felt.I got to 145 and I was at 3hr MP which is nowhere near the pace I am at.On my watch my easy runs used to come out about 135,on the HRM they are 139 so that's where I got the 150 from.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    TR - has your OH recovered fully now?
    I saw somewhere that the NHS book a test app will be updated with the next age group on 8th March so usually you can get a test sooner that way rather than wait for GP to contact you.

Yes, I can see us being way ahead of the EU, they really have been making a mess of it.  Not helped by making statements about the AZ which was untrue.

Ian - in a marathon your HR will be higher partly due to adrenaline etc.   In training you are calm so can run fast at lower HR's.  This is why some runners don't use their HRM in a race as it messes with their mind.

Last year when I was at my fittest for a while I was running at my last marathon pace at only 75% MHR.  Would have been good to think that meant if I ran a marathon I would have made a dramatic improvement but very unlikely.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - when less fit you will get cardiac drift sooner.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-That makes sense,I was thinking about running my next race by heart rate as i will have no idea so thought that would be a good way to not over do it,but guessing that's not ideal?
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Shades - no, it will take a long time. She still gets fatigued, and out of breath easily. She was contacted by gp for her jab.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    TR - just shows how not like flu Covid is.

Ian - the most success I've had running a marathon by HR is when I decide to not let my HR go over a certain BPM in the first half, just as you would with setting a target pace.   Of course if it's a hot day or it's hilly then that plan goes out the window.  So I'd try to stick to say 135bpm which is 84% MHR for the first half.   I would then expect to start getting some cardiac drift in the 2nd half.

It's useful stats to ponder over post race.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-That would give me 154,which seems too fast for me at the minute.I want to enjoy it,so will probably set out conservatively and see how it goes.I'd love to keep my streak of sub 3:30's going though for completed races.
  • I am relieved about the Big Half - I'm in for it but what with my hamstring problems, there was no way I'd be ready for next month. As for parkrun, I'm pleased but also a tiny bit sceptical. We'll see I guess.

Speaking of the hamstring, I finally cracked and went out for a very cautious run this morning. I spent a full 45 minutes on the hamstring rehab plus glute, hips, core and a few other things, and I walked around the block before I started running. But after a week and a half, I felt like the tin man. I could feel the hamstring but it wasn't acute...but I also had a few other strange niggles in places that don't normally get them (eg left adductor and right knee) which I'll put down to the inactivity. With that in mind I just did two miles as I don't want to over-egg the pudding.
    I will see how it behaves during the rest of the day and judge whether I will try again tomorrow or wait until Monday (which I think is more sensible and therefore more likely).
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian5 said:
    Shades-That would give me 154,which seems too fast for me at the minute.I want to enjoy it,so will probably set out conservatively and see how it goes.I'd love to keep my streak of sub 3:30's going though for completed races.

Ian - that's an average so you wouldn't set off at 84%, you would just try not to go over that HR in the first half, due to heat, hills or just running too fast.   You should expect that your average HR for a marathon will be roughly the same whatever the race and irrespective of your current level of fitness.   What will differ is the pace you run at, that is dependent on your training, conditions etc.   

Be careful if you google MHR for a marathon as many will write about MHR when they actually mean WHR.   So if you see advised MHR for a marathon is 80ish% that will mean WHR.

Big G and I had a detailed conversation on this thread last year about marathon/race HR's, I can't remember when it was otherwise I could bookmark the page.

My PB race average MHR's are:-
    10k 91%
    marathon 85-88%
    6 hour 84%
    50 mile 81%

8 miles this morning, frosty again and just a little bit of ice to negotiate where the flooding was last week.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - xpost.   Well the postponement of the Big Half is helpful for you and takes the pressure off you at least a little.
    Good that you're back out running, albeit cautiously.   You don't think you might be overdoing the rehab, hence the niggly pains today.   Mind you I don't suppose your body is used to a lay off from running.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I've never ran a marathon (or any race actually) to HR, and I don't have any HR stats for any marathons.  I only started last April and of course I've not done any events since then.  For me, as Shades said, it's just the cardiac drift that has improved, along with the pace at that HR.  When I started with MAF, my pace would slow at the same HR, but I know earlier this year I did 11 miles at 142 and the pace was consistent on the flat (well, I slowed in the 11th mile...), so then I knew I was in reasonable shape.  Not necessarily in marathon shape mind you, due to the fact I've not been doing long runs!

I took a full rest day yesterday with no running or cycling as legs were a bit tired from a couple of hard bike sessions.  Ran 10-miles this morning though, which was ver nice.  It started off quite cold but I was fine in shirt/shorts and light gloves, and it warmed up to really good running conditions as I got into the run.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - you've resumed your running training really well.

I bet you can't wait for some race HR stats to peruse  :)

Still no update from EA/RunBritain re races  :#

This was RunBritain's statement earlier this week...

COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Guidance for Road Race and Multi-Terrain Race Organisers in the UK

We welcome the UK Government’s statement today [22 February] on an initial step towards the resumption of outdoor sport.

We will now seek further clarity from Sport England and DCMS on the details contained within the UK Government’s roadmap and remain optimistic about the return on 29 March of athletics, running, training and other activity in clubs and groups and then for the safe return of competition and the sport more widely.

Again, we would like to thank everyone involved in the sport, from clubs, runners, athletes, coaches, leaders, officials, administrators, volunteers, facility providers, competition providers, parents and carers for their continued support, patience and understanding whilst adhering to our guidance issued in accordance with the UK Government’s response to the coronavirus pandemic.

The physical and mental health and wellbeing of all our members and their loved ones remains the priority throughout this difficult and challenging period so it is vital everyone adheres to the UK Government’s Covid-19 directives until further notice.

As soon as we have more information, we will make an announcement on our website and through our social media channels.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, I'd definitely like some stats but I don't think I'd run a race to HR, at least not initially.  I also think it's possible that something like Plym Trail may be my first marathon back, and if that is the case the nature of that course wouldn't be great for HR stats I don't think.

I do need to start thinking of putting some kind of plan together for DD.  I know I can get 10-milers in with no real problem, but I need to consciously think about how I'm going to increase the long runs in the run up to DD otherwise it won't happen!  Basically there's just over 3 months so I need to think about how I'm going to up the mileage safely.  In that regard I may stick my name down for Plym Trail waiting list and just use that as a long run if I do happen to get a place.

It's annoying I've had that 4 weeks enforced break I was initially thinking to do what I want in terms of mileage in Feb and then start upping the mileage in March, but the lost 4 weeks has put me back a bit I feel, just in terms of when the DD falls.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - you would probably want some marathon history of HR stats before you would even consider using HR during a race.

Yes, Plym Trail gives meaningless HR stats due to the nature of the course, as does DD.   DD is good if you want to check your MHR, I can usually get within 5bpm of my MHR at some point during the race, just shows how hard the course is.

I'm not doing any long runs either right now, I'm gently winding up the mileage and trying to get back to the paces I was doing last year.   Then I'll do some long runs.  I usually like to have 7 or 8 marathons as my DD prep, but I'll be lucky if I get one done, so this time I will focus on highish training mileage.
  • Cal - Great that you got back at it

Big G - Nice 10 miles

Shades - What is WHR? Sorry might have missed it in the thread

20 miles around sunny London. Run felt great and there just seemed to be a happier vibe around town. Kept it zone 2 at 9:20min/mi which is fine at this stage. Brings up 62 miles for the week. Not sure how I’d maintain that mileage next week as the plan was to alternate a hillier shorter long run and don’t have time in the week for anything longer than I’m currently doing. Will have a think as I’d like to keep myself around 55-60ish to make that a new baseline. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - that's a great long run from you today, good running conditions too.

If you're going to do a shorter but tougher long run next week then don't worry about the total mileage figure so much.   It's not always the numbers that matter but the quality of the training.

WHR is working heart rate.  Some Garmins etc calculate the heart rate zones by this method.  And as I mentioned is used by runners too but often referred to as MHR, which it's not.

It's calculated by taking your MHR, deduct your RHR, then apply whatever % depending on what type of session it is, recovery/aerobic/anaerobic etc.  Then add back RHR and that is the heart rate for that session.   IMHO it's less accurate and much easier zones for runners to achieve, especially in the aerobic ranges.   I have a low MHR and if I calculated my base training rate using WHR I would be doing my base training at too high a heart rate and would not achieve the training effect.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    RCouture, it's exactly the same calculation as Shades said, but working out WHR is sometimes called the Karvonen method, if you wanted something else to Google :)  
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I am in the same position with long runs,hoping to do 10 or 12 tomorrow,if I end up doing MK I probably won't taper for it so I can keep adding miles.
    Shades-So would you say start about 145 and aim to average around 155?