Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Shades/Big-G. Understood. Yes I know what it is but wasn’t aware of the acronym. Think MAF and Z2 is as much HR nuance as I need right now. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    RCouture, there's so many different things out there, aren't there.  I seem to be quite lucky I think as MAF, Max HR% and WHR% all kind of align for me (my MAF HR for me is at the bottom of Zone 2 when using WHR).  I have probably said it before, but although I call my training MAF, I am aware of all the others but in my mind I just find the thought of MAF very straight  forward, so I call it that.

Ian/Shades, I was just looking back at my marathons when I did DD in 2018 (2018 seems a looooong time ago) and between March and DD I did 7 marathons (one was a hilly LDWA event with little running, but it was good training I think).  OK, I had a couple of disappointing events in those 7 (Great Welsh and Liverpool), but also a decent race (Barcelona).  I need to try and figure out how to replicate that with no races, which is going to be a bit of a struggle as I'm not going to be doing 7 marathon distance training runs on my own.  I haven't really given it serious consideration before now but I need to otherwise I'm just not going to get the long runs in as, for me, they won't happen unless I try and plan them.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - it's a minefield !  But you have found what works for you so stick with that.

Ian - don't choose a HR to start the race at, just don't allow yourself to go over say 155 for the first half.   As with pacing by min/miles your level of fitness will dictate the pace of the 2nd half, you may go over 155 in the second half, that's OK.   
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I know, I have exactly the same dilemma.

I'm going to ramp up the mileage and get up to 80mpw if I can.   I was hoping to have a bash at a 100mpw, to see if I could still do it at my advanced age.   I was going to use North Dorset as part of that 100mpw attempt but that plan has gone out the window.
    I suppose I'll have to do the long runs.  But I also need to do my gym stuff too, won't be easy.

Don't forget you could adapt the Connemarathon plan for DD.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Shades, I'm wondering whether to stick my name down on the waiting list for Plym Trail on 4th April.  With lack of long runs it won't be pretty, but if it does go ahead and I get a place I'll get some time on my feet at least.  What do you think?  I think I may enter one of his May events too; as you know I don't love the course, but with DD looming it may well help with some motivation.  
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Sorry Shades, another question.  If I went with something like the Connemarathon Ultra plan just as the basis of the weekly mileage (so not worry too much about the tempo runs etc), that would be fine wouldn't it?  And then hopefully sprinkle in some shorter races as and when they come up if I can, and maybe a marathon or two in the build up.  As you know, it's an 18 week plan which doesn't fit in terms of when DD comes, but I could tweak it.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - up to you if you put your name down for Plym Trail, I just can't face doing that race right now.   When I'm there I just want it to be over, which isn't the right attitude!

Re the Connemarathon plan, I can't recommend the tempo runs, too much for me.  :'(  But you could take the plan and alter it to suit you.   You can certainly shorten it weeks wise, Connemarathon is 39.3 miles so that immediately knocks off 3 or 4 weeks of the long back to back runs.

Would be good if we could find some pre DD marathons to do.   I wish EA would hurry up as if the news is good I'm sure there's plenty of race organisers ready to put on events.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Shades - after a couple of 10s and a 15, i did 22 in my ride 13s today, they were good. Theyre firm rather than cushioned and feel like they can go quickish when reqd. A great lightweight everyday shoe.
    Goodwood has been put back ftom Easter sunday to 3 wks later. No news on Dorney yet, but they have a reserve date of apr 24th.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    TR - the Ride 13's sound good, I like the cushioned feel of mine (ISO 1's) but it's the fit and the lightness that impresses me too.

Will you race in them?

Interesting Goodwood have moved their event.   Everyone is waiting for EA/RunBritain and hoping for good news, must be more frustrating for race organisers than runners.

Rest day for me today, 15 days since my last rest day  :lol:
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-It will be interesting to see how it goes,good to have an experiment when it doesn't really matter.
    I had a rest day yesterday,felt fine but wanted to run today so didn't want to run 6 days consecutively,might go and do loops of the hill.
    After much procrastinating I finally bought a pair of 1080's,should be with me Tuesday.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - yes, that is the time to try something a little different.

You've had a very good week's training, hope it continues.

Hope you like the shoes.   I've been checking them as well, the v10's seem to be selling fast.  So I think I might buy another pair while I can.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Nice one Ian, good luck with the shoes.

Shades, I have messaged Davey and I should be able to get an entry for May.....if I want one.  I'm similar to you that I don't love the events but it may be good for me in terms of the DD.  He's got 12 on the waiting list for April, but seemed fairly hopeful I could get a place.  He's not got the permits yet though.

11 miles this morning taking me up to 40 for the week (well,  39.9!).  I headed for the undulating, country roads today before heading down to the seafront on the way home, and had a good run.  The couple of miles or so on the front were into quite a strong wind so I didn't worry tuo much about HR along there, but all the rest was to HR.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Shades- yes, ill probably do Dorney (or goodwood) in the rides. I have a pair of Endorphin speeds and a pair of 4% now, but i need to wear them in shorter races first, a marathon is too risky.

Agreed interesting that the end of April will be ok for Goodwood.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Like Big G I've decided I need to get a move on if I'm going to put up a respectable showing.Ended up doing 13 miles including 5 loops of my big hill,the main slope has about 100ft with a couple more undulations.It felt really good and felt like running more but didn't want to push it,hoping the foot reacts well tomorrow.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's very good for your first week back post fall/concussion.

I won't be competing with you for a place at Plym Trail  ;)

TR - trouble is, nothing replicates race conditions for trialling kit, especially shoes, so we really miss those shorter races.

Ian - you're really taking a risk running so much when you still have concerns about PF, most likely you are delaying complete recovery.  
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-My foot has been pretty good this week,it's certainly no worse after running than when I have a day off running.Unless I stop completely and don't work I'm always going to be on my feet for a lot of the day,so if the foot doesn't get worse then I'm presuming I am ok to run.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian  - but if you're wondering if it's going to be a bit sore in the morning then that means you know you're still injured so need to keep any running short and easy.  You can't hope to cure it by continuing to run so much on it.  You are most likely delaying your recovery.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    8 miles this morning.   Dawn wasn't due until 6:30 but when I went out at 6 I could see well enough to ditch any of my usual street lit routes.   So had a lovely run on quiet roads, not so cold today but a bit breezy in places.

Can't help thinking that the long wait from EA/RunBritain isn't good news for our races.  😭

Anyone over 60 can book their vaccination via the app from today, they're certainly rattling through the age groups now.    
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Funny isn't it Shades, as it was quite cold on my run today.  Yesterday I just had shorts/t-shirt on, but today I needed a long sleeved top.  I enjoyed it though.  I did 8.5 miles, including one steep hill towards the end.  I did have to abandon my original route as the sea was coming in over the sea wall in Torquay.

Just trying to figure out what to do this week.  I expect it'll be a rest day from running tomorrow (I've ran 3 days in a row, and don't want to push it too much at this point).  The tri club have a 3k time trial event next weekend, but I want to get a couple of decent runs in if I can on Saturday/Sunday.  I could do the 3k on the Friday but I've already signed up to a team event on Thursday evening on Zwift which I'm really looking forward to, so doing the 3k on the Friday probably wouldn't be a great idea (those Zwift races are tough!).  I think I'll give the 3k a miss.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - think it must be the wind coming from the east that makes it feel a lot colder today.   I always try and dress for the 'feels like' temperature, I hate being cold when I'm running.

It's easy to see why some runners do their running training schedules over 10 days rather than the traditional 7 as it's not easy to get everything to fit in.   
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, in my case, I opened the front door about to head out in just a T-Shirt, but promptly turned around to go back indoors for a long sleeved top :)  I didn't regret it on this occasion.  Yesterday it was clear skies and the sun was out, but today it was cloudy too.

Yes, it can be tough fitting it all in in terms of balancing everything out.  I would like to keep Zwifting for at least another month, but I may well have to dial that back a bit if the running increases.  I did finish week 1 of the Zwift plan successfully (plus did one extra session, which was a race) alongside the 40 miles of running, but at some point the running will take over meaning I'll have to reduce the Zwifting.  Hoping to do about 50 miles of running this week all being well, so I'll play the Zwifting by ear this week.
  • Was quite frosty on my kitchen roof this morning. Finally gone now the sun has reached it. Still going shopping shortly before todays run as its still warming. Hits 10 at a max which is it for the week 6-7 is the best rest of the time with it down to 1-2 overnight until weekend
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well not such good news from me - hamstring didn't really like the little run on Saturday so back to walking again. I had a good 7 mile walk yesterday so it's deffo not as bad as it was a week and a half ago but it doesn't want to be rushed, I think. I've eased back a bit on some of the exercises and am now doing mainly the isometric ones which are the ones that will settle it down a bit. If I'm feeling less sore tomorrow I might have another crack then.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I guess you're waiting to see what our racing calendar might be like before thinking about reducing the Zwift at least until the warmer weather arrives and you perhaps go back to doubles, one exercise, one recreation  ;)   I'll need to do doubles too to get my mileage up, but that's not until May for me.

Keith - forecast much the same here.   You not working?

Cal - so sorry to hear that, must be frustrating.   You could do with some warmer weather, hamstrings like a bit of warmth.

• Keith M StuartKeith M Stuart ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Nah today was meant to be BG service day but as they still striking .......
    Decided to do Run the Sum on Fetch this month BUT with the minor twist of having been arsed to look at the Garmin Challenges discovered that there is a badge for 505km over the first three months. Off course i am ot quite half way there so instead of the er 172 km RTS requires i have 270 or so. I'll track it alongside RTS and see if i can gain the 'extra' 100 km over the month. In theory it shouldn't be too hard but we'll see. Would also put me very near 11000 miles in total so will see nearer end of month just how close that one is and see if i can get that done too.
    So today is 1 km in total but i'll do a 4.5 mile loop which will get me onto a +6 km footing from the first day. Already looked at the days vs dates and weekend after next it should be 4k Sat and 5k Sun but i'll do a 9 mile or so loop on the Sat to see how far it is from work to someones house as i said it's about what they run around the Science Park. DIfference is Science Park is only vaguely hilly where as to get to theres you er have to cross the valley and go up a massive hill.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith - seems daft to me BG striking at this time.   With lockdown and other far more important news it's not getting the publicity and support they're hoping for.  But  they are causing inconvenience and hardship to customers.

I guess that's one way to get yourself out training.  So increases by one km a day, 31 km on last day of the month?
  • Shades - Not quite it's the sum of the date in km. Some do it in miles mind you. So if it 13th its 4 km cos 1+3=4.
    It's just the servicing thats not going on repairs still get done so not a total strike and also widely UNreported.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Shades - I watched a YouTuber who said that EA would be doing some kind of webinar on the 4th of March where they would detail the race reopening schedule. No idea if this is correct. 

7 miles for me at lunch. Legs felt good after 20 miler Saturday aside from a tight calf/Achilles at the beginning of the run so will have to up the strength work/rolling so it doesn’t develop into anything.  

I’m in two minds as to which of my two May marathons to do now assuming they go ahead. I thought I would prefer Richmond on the 16th as that is near me and convenient, however much of it is on the Thames towpath which I realise isn’t ideal for speed due to the narrow uneven/pebbly path (even if the course is super flat). I guess there should be more space due to social distancing but still. MK marathon on the 3rd would be better from that perspective but it’s two hours away. I know I shouldn’t care too much about speed on the first one but...
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith - that's not so bad then, easily achievable mileage.

I didn't even know BG were still on strike.

Rcouture - that's promising about EA, that means the press release should be imminent.

Re your choice of marathon, I'd wait until we know what Covid restrictions there will be that affect the races, that may make the decision for you.   Also possible one of them may postpone their race date.  
    Your first marathon will be a PB and should be a special occasion for you so choose the one with the course and ambience that you'd enjoy most.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, sorry to hear that :(  

Shades, yes, I'm waiting for shorter races to be announced, and also the gym to open.  The races on Zwift are very tough and I hope good training even for my running; they're easier on the body than blasting out a 5k or 10k time trial, although the races are still very hard efforts (i.e, I'm draped over the bike at the end, trying to catch my breath!).  When the gym opens it may well be that I get outside on the bike and use the velopark there rather than ride indoors - I do like Zwift a lot, but I think the velopark and being outdoors is still preferable when the weather's good.  Currently I've only got one bike though and I wouldn't want to take it on and off the turbo all the time.  I may get a second bike, but I'll figure out that later on as the road bikes I have been looking at all have supply issues at the moment (road bikes along with turbo trainers have been very popular the last few months through lockdown).