Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - definitely good HR stats there.

Ian - Windermere would be a good race pre DD, not flat, more undulating with one Dartmooresque hill which is a lung buster.

I expect Windermere will fill very quickly if there's confidence that it will go ahead.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I’ve been eyeing up Windermere but would need accommodation. I was thinking of booking a refundable apartment somewhere but haven’t as yet as I’m still not really sure it’ll be able to go ahead at this point. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - hotels should be open by then shouldn't they?

Would be a hell of a drive on race day 6+ hours each way  ;)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, that's right - a hotel would be fine but if OH comes we'd probably prefer an Airbnb/apartment somewhere.  If I went on my own, I did just look on Travelodge and there is one on the M6 about 40mins away from the race start that is affordable.  I'm really not sure though as I still don't know how large events will be possible at that time.  Realistically I think I'm just going to have to do my best and get the long runs done on my own.  There's still no mention that I've seen of whether we can run twice a day or not; that would massively help the weekly mileage, too.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - yes, I used to stay at that Travelodge on the M6, always a good price.   There's another one which is nicer and a little closer, I think it's the Kendal one.  Used to eat the night before at a pub on the road into Kendal, they served marathon runner's portions.   :)

I'm pretty sure the once a day will not be applicable once sport opens up again.  I'll need a few doubles myself to ramp my mileage up too by May.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I know nothing about this one or the organisers but Chair pointed me towards this one in Worcester on 16th May. I was asking him what he’s entered and he’s got a few, but he doesn’t mind off road. 

Chair’s entered but they’ve not confirmed yet. 
    https://www.tempoevents.co.uk/events/worcester-marathon-and-half-marathon/
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I seen that one myself a few days ago when I was looking at races,it is the day before the travel advice changes on the roadmap so interesting to see what happens.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Still no word from EA on races I see. Seems odd, I can’t imagine the answer is just sitting on a civil servant’s desk waiting to be sorted. 

6 miles this evening. Legs a bit heavy at the start from 20miler yesterday but soon settled into it and feel better for it now. Mach 4s continue to be fantastic for easy and long runs. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, for us in Devon it's just about drivable I think.  It's approx 2.5hrs so it's not ideal but it's a possible.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Just had a quick google map and its exactly 2:17 for both of us,crazy it is exactly in the middle.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    That is strange, Ian.  For some reason I just presumed it'd be much further for you!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    It's about 30 mins further than Windermere but a week earlier,guessing that will only go ahead if MK does though.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I've already entered Worcester, I've done it several times.  It's all road.  Easy fast drive, I always drive up on the day as it's only a mile off the M5 at the Worcester Warriors ground. Plenty of free parking so no faff pre race.

Rcouture - EA are useless, and that's me being kind.   ;)

Glad the Mach 4's are so good.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - we can meet up halfway then  ;)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian/Big G - just looked at my race stats.   I've done Worcester four times.  It's undulating, two laps, pleasant rural course, have to run with half marathon runners until about 11 miles (I think).  I put that the overall climb is 1207 ft but that was before I had this Garmin with elevation so I don't know where I got that figure.   I don't actually remember any tough hills on the course.

If I had a choice of doing Worcester or Windermere, there would be no contest, it would be Windermere every time.   Beautiful one lap course, with a couple of challenging climbs, lovely race.   Windermere would be better prep for DD, or even better do both.  :)

8 miles today, hilly town route.   Flipping cold again, another frost.   Thankfully last frost for a while, rain and 40mph winds tomorrow which I'm looking forward to as it will be a lot warmer.   :smiley:
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    That looks a good one too, Shades.  Good to see there are some available if we want them prior to DD.

I did 7-miles this morning and felt okay, and then jumped on the bike to do a session on there.  I had to go over to Dad's today as he has to renew his driving license, which he was struggling to do online, so hopefully that's all sorted now.  Haven't seen him since Xmas Day!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - seems a long time since Christmas.    But I suppose once you're both vaccinated you'll be seeing each other more often.

I see the NHS site has now changed to 55+ so gradually coming down, shouldn't be long before your turn.

Pain almost gone from my arm now.

Re the Shepperdine marathon I've done their 20 mile race a couple of times, on the same route I expect.  Good race organisers.

Well if the news from EA/RunBritain is good I think there'll be a few more events happening in the next few months at fairly short notice.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    EA have updated their guidance but nothing useful yet as they are still waiting for clarification.

https://www.englandathletics.org/athletics-and-running/news/guidance-update-2021/
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Just under 11 miles this afternoon including 30mins of tempo. Looks like rough windy weather for the next couple of days so will take it easy and maybe have an extra rest day as meant to be a down week anyway. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture- Nice controlled paces on the tempo.
    Ran after work,felt a bit harder than the last few,happens though.
    Bought myself a pair of the invincibles,saved plenty again recently so treated myself.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Sorry to be a bit sporadic...I've not felt much like posting the last couple of days. I had a good walk on Sunday but yesterday's run was a bust - hamstring never really warmed up and I just did 3 miles and called it quits. It was aching a lot when I woke up at 4am and I had trouble getting comfortable enough to go back to sleep after that. Anyway, I've found out my physio is working so I'm going to see him tomorrow. Hopefully he can do something to help.

Ian, I'd be interested to hear what you think. I must say I've not much liked the look of them - I'm rather put off by the weight and I hear the durability isn't great.

Thanks for the link, Shades.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Hope you can get to the bottom of it,you were training so good before this.
    I didn't think they'd be your type of shoe,they are the max cushioned and most of yours tend to be minimal cushioning don't they?
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Cal - Hope you get better soon. Feel for you not being able to get out there

Ian - I’d also be very keen to get your thoughts on the invincibles and especially whether they’re a stable ride. 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ian, not really - the Epics are pretty cushioned, but they're also really light (which is why it's so annoying that Nike's discontinued them). I wore Nike Frees for years but found the balls of my feet got really sore once I started running marathons - I do need some cushion in the forefoot. From the reviews I've read, the Invincibles are better suited to heel strikers, which I'm not. Once I go through my remaining Epics (which is probably not for another year) I might look at the 1080s...they've made them a bit lighter so they might suit me.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - your training is going well  :)

You've been reading those shoe reviews again  ;)   I actually read RW's latest shoe reviews in the magazine in bed yesterday morning when I woke too early.   Best place for me to read the shoe reviews as I had no pen, paper or phone to make a note of any that I liked that weren't already on my wish list.   

Ian - hope the new shoes suit you.    You never need to justify the price of a pair of running shoes on here  ;)

Cal - sorry to hear your usual rehab is not working this time.   Good that you could get an appointment with your physio today.   When you did that 'trip' in your flat you must have tweaked something else at the time. 

7 miles this morning, a welcome change in the weather for me, wet and windy but not so cold.    

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I know you might not want to race here again but I see they're putting on another marathon on 25th April

Big Flat Runway Races — Even Splits
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I don't know if I'm being overly cautious with my Dad but I guess I'd prefer to be that way than the other way.  He is pretty frail these days :(  He has had his first injection and is due his second one early April, so shortly after that I'll probably feel happier going around more often.  It's his birthday in April and I remember last year saying "Oh, don't worry - we'll go out for your birthday when all this over", not thinking it would be 12months+.  We did go out for a couple of meals last summer though.

Ian, I'd be interested in the shoes.  They do seem good.

Cal, sorry you're having such a bad time of it :(  Hopefully the physio can help.

RCouture, well done on the tempo :)  

Strange day for me yesterday as I began to feel a bit unwell in the afternoon - just a bit dizzy and feeling sick.  I slept pretty well last night and I do feel a bit better today but taking a day off today, so not sure what that was all about.  I did eat lunch quite late, but it can't be the surely, so just probably just one of those things.  Anyway, It's annoying too as my bike has got a mechanical issue which means I can't change gears on the front, so no good for hilly stuff on Zwift!  It does need a service so I'll try and get it looked at, but it's meant I've had to pull out of tomorrow's race as I'll need the whole range of gears for that.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-I remember the frees so presumed all yours where like that.
    Shades-Nope wont be going there again.
    Big G-Hope you get the bike fixed,mad how you get issues without even going outside.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - much better to be cautious re seeing your Dad.   He knows you're nearby if he needs you, IT issues too  :)  

Hope you're better after a day's rest.    In normal times we'd blame an off day on 'picking up a  virus', but we can't really say that now.   I guess we can't always feel good every day. 

Are the bike shops prompt with servicing issues or will you have to wait a while?

Ian - I guessed you might say that, I wasn't sure if you wanted to lay that ghost to rest by having another go.

Just been for my weekly food shop, Aldi twice as busy as last week.   I had to pop into Asda yesterday and that was heaving too.   :#