Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done, Ian.  That sounds like a great run.  Bad luck about the 5k.

Shades, good news you could get this morning too.

RCouture, sounds like you're in great shape as it sounds like a positive to me that you felt you could have ran more in a cut back week.

My non-running injury has also cleared up and I went out for 13 miles.  45mins slower that Ian's effort, but I was quite happy with it as it was a nice scenic route, venturing over to a different part of the coast I don't usually visit.

Taking my bike over later of its service, which they're doing tomorrow. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I think if the news is good from EA you might see a few short races pop up at short notice.

Big G - good your non running injury has healed up too and you got out for a very decent distance.

Are the Trotters planning to start club training from 29th March?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, that's the plan.  The coach coordinator is just trying to get the availability of coaches/leaders, and then we'll do the booking system as we did previously, which worked well last time.  
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - it seems ages since club training was allowed.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, on my run today, I ran past a favourite pub of mine that does decent food, and just down the road from that there is a very, very nice cafe that has their own bakery on site and does really good breakfasts etc, and I was trying to remember the last time I was in either.  I think the last time we were in the pub was October, and the last time we went to the cafe was just before this current lockdown, which does seem a long time ago now.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I ran down the main street this morning and it's just like a ghost town.  I think folk will be quick to go back to shops and pubs/cafes etc.

My 8 mile hilly town run today.   Lovely spring morning, daffodils still in full bloom and magnolia trees are just coming into bloom too.   At the top of my final climb I had a lovely view to Dartmoor, reminded me of those DD hills though 😭
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    10-miles for me and also had a good run out.  A slight breeze, but I was fine in shorts & t-shirt and light gloves.  Enjoyable run.

I took my bike in yesterday lunchtime as he requested and when I arrived he said he'd had a cancellation so could do it that afternoon :)  All done and I collected it yesterday and it's like a new bike again.  It did need a few new components, but as I said it was long overdue a service and I'm glad it's done.  I took it home and jumped on Zwift and did a ramp test, and got my best FTP, I think probably because the new service made a difference.  It means I can race on Thursday, so I'm happy with that too.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's great news on the bike and good service from the bike shop too.

EA/RunBritain have issued another update....don't get excited it says nothing at all

COVID-19 Guidance for Road Race and Multi-Terrain Race Organisers in England - runbritain
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Good news on the bike.
    Great news here,had a text off my doctor to get the vaccination,I'm 48 so we must be flying around here with it.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that is great news.  Will be nice and local too as text came from GP.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Shades-Indeed it is,all booked in for Thursday,to be fair our mass vaccination centre is literally 50 yards from my house.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Great news Ian, and a quick turnaround too!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - should be your turn next.  😀

I was looking at Peterborough marathon this morning, 23rd May.  Bit of a drive for me but I've decided not for this year as it's the day after my 2nd jab.  It's quite possible I'd have no aftereffects at all but just in case I do I'd probably not really feel like running a marathon followed by a 4+ hour drive home.  Next year maybe.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Ian - Good news on the jab. My OH had her second a couple of days ago. Was fine for the first but this one did give her aches and fever which only last 30-40hrs. All totally worth it of course!

Big G/Shades -  Nice runs

7 miles for me at lunch. Overcast but nice and mild. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    12 miles today,felt a bit tougher than lately,but it was pretty windy and unfortunately it was against me up the last hill home so a tough end.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - that's good your OH has had her 2nd jab.   

Ian - you'll have new running routes soon when you move house.   Last time I moved it was only half a mile away but completely changed my running routes, not sure why but it did.

7 miles this morning, cold and a light frost but roads dry so fine for running.   

Food shop this morning, a trip out  :)
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-We are moving to another hill  :'( not quite as long,as at the minute,the way I  usually end is 2 miles of a long drag up 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Ian, I have a similar thing.  It's not steep but basically the mile from the seafront up to my house is up a hill.  It's really annoying!

I had a great run this morning.  Sea was calm, clear skies, the sun was out, and there wasn't much wind today.  It just seemed that other runners out had a proper spring in their step today.  I really felt like pushing on today but I stuck to HR throughout my 7-miler and enjoyed it.

Phone has finally given up the ghost and a new one arrived yesterday so just need to get that set up.

YouTuber Seth had a live interview yesterday evening with Kilian.  I tuned in and I did enjoy it - they both just come across as nice guys, although I think Kilian's internet wasn't great.  I think Salomon sent Seth 3 pairs of shoes to review, and the interview got set up that so it was a bit of a promotional thing as well.  Kilian and Seth have both won Pikes Peak marathon and there was a small bit of chat about that race.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Big G - I also caught that interview and agreed it was interesting. Seth used to grate on me as I thought he was overexcitable and seemed to take ages to get to the point of his reviews but his vlogs have grown on me lately. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    RCouture, yeah, I know what you mean.  I find his race and training vlogs the most interesting personally, or when he's up in the mountains the footage looks awesome.  I'm not interested in the family-oriented ones, and I don't watch all of the shoe reviews by a long way, unless it's a shoe I'm interested in.  I think he's just got much more professional as he has all the gear now.  He was up in the mountains for a 2 or 3 days of training at altitude last week and was staying in an Airbnb and the amount of gear for the vlogs he took with him was eye opening.  Different cameras, lighting, computers, drone, all sorts of stuff.  Recording, editing and uploading a daily blog for however many years he's done it is crazy really.  I think it's all he does now, although probably has some stuff on the side that makes some cash too.  But to make enough money off of being a YouTuber still doesn't quite compute for me.  He's not even that big really - I follow some music producers and they have huge channels in comparison, so they must be making a tidy sum just from YouTube.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Shades - yday EA put up their proposed T and F roadmap detailing what type of competition will happen when. It shows local club comp and county champs only and the minimise travel point until 23rd May. So Runbritain defo need the govt way fwd on march 22nd so they can the clarify the minimise travel point.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I have seen elsewhere that the "once a day"-exercise guidance seems to have been changed in the last update, updated on 11th March.  I totally missed that.  It doesn't seem to explicitly say that you can go out more than once, but it no longer says only once is permitted.
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/national-lockdown-stay-at-home
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian/Big G - I live on a hill too but it's short but it means that often my final mile has 70 feet of climb in the last 0.25 of a mile so not an ideal finish either.

I will never watch that Seth on a video again, I still have nightmares about his awful voice on the one shoe review I watched.   I don't do the groupie thing in running and follow folk anyway.

TR - thanks for that, I just clicked onto EA and I can see an update for Track and Field which doesn't appear to have changed much since the last update.   I doubt we'll hear until a few days after the meeting on Monday.   
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I did read somewhere that the once a day had been gently dropped.  I guess it's not been specifically mentioned so that the change is not taken as carte blanche for everyone to go out and meet multiple friends several times a day.

I guess you're anxious to resume doubles  ;)
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    I can’t think of any area where we’ve skirted any of the lockdown rules since they’ve started except for a few times where I’ve gone for a run and later taken the girls for a walk in the park. Not great but didn’t even think about it at the time on reflection. 

10 miles this afternoon along the river. Legs felt sluggish due to bad sleep so added some strides which woke them up a bit. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I think makes quite  a bit as he has people engaged and a bit part of how youtube pay is how long people watch the videos for,hence he usually puts the real info at the end.
    Usual after work loop,finishing a little early tomorrow so I can go for a run before my jab in case I can't run Friday.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, yeah, he probably does make a fair bit. Certainly enough to support his family anyway. I don’t really like the term but he probably is an ‘influencer’, but I do like his content though. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I used to really like it,but I don't watch anywhere near as much now,think I lost a lot of interest when he started having different levels.
    I read Iceland are allowing people in with no restrictions if they are vaccinated,and Reyjkavik marathon is in August,was considering it but may well do it now.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    It's strange how the YouTube algorithm works, but also when he posts a family one I either fast forward until it looks more interesting or just quit the video.  I do wish Ben Parkes posted more regularly - I quite like his content, and I think for him he's quite a shy chap, so he's done really well to build that up.

It was supposed to be a rest day today but it was nice weather and I was feeling good so went for a very gentle 5-miler, keeping the HR really low at 131 average.  It's interesting as when I started MAF, I was struggling to keep the HR under 142 at that pace on that type of terrain and today was really, really easy.  It was perfect conditions today, though.

I did an hour on the bike last night and I've got the Zwift race tonight, which I'm looking forward to.  It's another Team Time Trial, which I wasn't able to do last week as my bike was broken.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - I wouldn't consider that bending the rules in any way.   Your girls are too young to go out alone so taking them to the park is considered as child care.

Your weekday run distances seem to be increasing, what's your planned mileage for the next few weeks?

Big G/Ian - I'm sure some of the guys like Seth do some private coaching and get paid well for it.

Ian - Reykjavik marathon, you so nearly got to the start line last year.   How are Iceland doing with their vaccinations, probably quite well as they're not in the EU.   ;)

Bad luck for Jonny Mellor.   I'd never associate gout with an athlete.

Jonny Mellor out of Olympic marathon trials after freak injury - AW (athleticsweekly.com)

8 miles this morning, heavy frost and very cold so not pleasant for running even with the sun out.   Hope that's the last frost for a while.   Did my 4 miles flattish and 4 miles hilly, on the hilly section not a single car passed me which was good.

I get to go out again today, twice in fact.   Car booked in for service and MOT.