Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    46 miles for the week.... my biggest week for nearly 3 years lol
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - great report, I'm exhausted reading that.   You showed a lot of determination to keep going despite getting lost so often.   That was a hell of a day out, certainly deserves to be accredited as a finish.

Big G - I think it would be hard to get bruised toes with the NB 1080's as the shoe hugs the instep and stops the foot sliding up against the toe box.   I've got 3 different sizes too, I am going to put elastic laces in one pair that I think will be the ones I use for Worcester.

• Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Big G - Great run. Especially so soon after the previous one. 

Rob - Wow well done toughing it out. Great report

20 miles for me yesterday across Richmond park and around the river. No niggles and stayed in zone 2 with no drift at all at 9min/mi aside from last couple of miles where I couldn’t help myself but speed up a bit. Wanted to do a recovery run today but too busy with family. Excited to be on the race list!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rob-Epic adventure there,luckily it wasn't these couple of days or the weather would have made it horrible.
    Rcouture-That was a strong 20,no drifitng is great to see and a good pace.
    Just 6.5 for me today,I was going to go a bit further but the rain started to get bad so called it a day.
  • Options
    Cheers Shades official time 7:42:29 for the list, I've traced the course and seen the two errors ready for 2022!!!  The RD are a couple Rose and James, really lovely people but I feel they should include a map with the instructions.

Rcouture great 20 miler, not long now till the magical taper time.

Ian we've not had the bad weather yet but its on its way.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - that's another good long run from you at the weekend.

Robert - bad weather was a lot later than forecast here too and not too bad where I live, I expect it was a lot worse on the coast.
    Hope the recovery is going well

List duly updated.  :)

8 miles this morning, did an undulating route and no trouble with achilles except when I stretched post run so there is still a little niggle there.   Tough run as the wind was very strong on the return part of my run.

Gym later.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - well done on your 4th place  :)

• Options
    Shades we didn't have any bad weather until about 6pm last night, managed to get out for another walk to keep the legs moving.  No need to update straight away but the race was called 'two castles marathon' I just chose to run the ultra version on my own back.

Was going to go to the gym yesterday afternoon, went to book and no spaces left.  Doms still sore this morning, may brave the massage gun in a bit.  Booked accommodation for my 50 miler in September, The travelodge on the motorway by Reading, only a 20 min drive to the start.  Was £42 non flexi for 2 nights or £50 fully refundable which I opted for as I place my chances around 25% of making it.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thank Shades.  For a bit of context for everyone though, there were only 32 in the race.  The winner was sub-3 and I was nearly 20-mins behind third :)   At 20-miles I was with my club mate and we'd ran the whole thing together up until that point, but I finished 10mins ahead of her.  She said the wheels fell off, which has happened to me many times as I've done big positive splits on that course :)  On the way down the first time she was commenting how she thought the course was flat, but on the way back up the last time she realised that wasn't the case....  It is a deceptive course.

That sounds like an epic day out Robert.  You did very well to keep going!  That's a bargain on the Travelodge too.  I've booked to stay in one for Dorney in Oct which was very cheap too.

Legs feel fine this morning but I do feel tired so haven't ran this morning.  I may run later or I may just save it until tomorrow.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - I just changed it from marathon to 50km  ;)  I'll change it back for next publication.

Good you're recovering well.   Much the same with our gym in that a lot book in last minute, I don't do that otherwise I'd procrastinate and never get there at all.

At least the fully refundable costs are not much dearer than the non refundable now for Travelodge etc.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I don't think anyone that hasn't run Plym Trail marathon can really appreciate how hard the last few miles of this course is.   Your club mate ran well but to lose 10 minutes in the last 6 miles is quite a lot, I'm assuming you didn't speed up.   ;)

Mostly upper body session in the gym today.   I upped the weights today and now my arms feel like jelly.   Cleaning the kitchen might have to wait until tomorrow 😃 
  • Options
    Shades I use cleaning the kitchen as a way to procrastinate from going to the gym!

big g is the dorney marathon An ATW at the start of October? Hope recovery going well! 

Last thing my legs fancied was a run but I wanted to give them a quick shake.  1.5 miles was a struggle but no issues other than trashed legs.

Don’t want to speak too soon, but after getting thru Sunday injury free, I’m hoping I can build on from now, couple of test events before CW50 in September.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Rob - Great to hear that you feel more positive about things. 

9 miles for me this afternoon. Had my second dose of vaccine today so ran before that. The timing isn’t ideal as this week is meant to be the last big week of miles before taper but might have to start that earlier depending on my reaction to the jab. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Shades I use cleaning the kitchen as a way to procrastinate from going to the gym!

I can't do that as we have to give 4 hours notice to cancel the gym without penalty.   Anyway training always comes before cleaning the kitchen  ;)   

That's good that you're recovering so well after Sunday.

Rcouture - I think that's ideal timing for your 2nd jab, better than being closer to your marathon race.    Even if you didn't run at all for a week now it would make no difference to your marathon result so don't run if you feel tired or have any other after effects that make you feel off colour.  

6 easy miles for me today, had a better run and no achilles twinge up the little hill to home or post run stretch.   Quite chilly still, but sunny.   Loving the brighter mornings though.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, yes, it's the ATW one I've entered.  :)  Obviously it's a long way off, but if things go well in training and it's reasonable weather on the day, I'll be targeting that one for a good time.

Shades, good news on the achilles.

I had a full rest day from running yesterday and went out for 7-miles this morning.  It was quite cold especially in the shade, and I wasn't quite flowing this morning for whatever reason, but I was glad to be out there regardless.  I am hoping to go Trotters tonight.

I think Dad may be coming home over the next 2 or 3 days or so.  Medically he's okay in terms of no infection, his bloods are where they need to be etc.  They are going to be providing some level of care at home for up to 6 weeks (early morning care, taking breakfast etc), which will take some pressure off his partner.  I'll do the weekly shop and make some meals, but he does need to do what he's been told by the doctors etc, so we'll see how that goes.  He's going to need a different car I think to make it easier for him to get in and out (he won't be driving), so I'm just in the process of sorting that out.  There's a scheme called Motability that he is in, and there are loads of cars to choose from.  I went into Citroen and Peugeot yesterday to just see what it was all about.  Modern cars are so big though!  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - you're only a few days post marathon so a bit of tiredness isn't unusual.

That's good news about your Dad.

I have had a few of the smaller cars when I've hired a car and not needed the space, the one that really impressed me was the VW Up, I guess the Seat Mii would be the same although I've not driven one of them.   I had the VW Up when I was staying in a fairly hilly part of Ireland and it went up the hills like a rocket, fab to drive and park and I felt I was driving a bigger car.  
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hey all. I know I've been quiet but I've been rather unmotivated of late. I did 5 miles on Sunday which was OK but hammy was a bit sore after. Monday I woke up too early (4am) and decided to get up, which was a huge mistake as I felt so rubbish for the rest of the day I did nothing at all (my only exercise was walking to Sainsbury's so I racked up a very unimpressive 2,000 steps - it would have been in the hundreds if I hadn't gone shopping). I also managed to eat four pecan tarts and half a tub of ice cream in front of a bad movie while feeling despondent.
    Tuesday I decided there was no way in hell I was running in that wind so I booked the gym and did some bench pressing and shoulder stuff, but again I only managed  5,000 steps.
    I nearly didn't go out today either but I gave myself a bit kick up the arse and went for a run. I decided to push the pace a little so did just over 4 miles with an average pace of just under 10 min/mi. Not fast enough to anger the hammy but fast enough to get my lungs working a little bit more. (HR didn't go up too high though, only 150s which is fairly normal for me).
    I feel pretty unfit and fat (not that I am fat...but I can feel the pounds I've gained and I don't like it) so I need to dig myself out of this mental slough I've got myself into.
    I am seeing my friends this month for some coastering - which I've not done since 2019 - so that'll be good (though I've got so used to being isolated they had to talk me into it! I think it'll do me some good though).

Big G, hope things go well with your dad.
    Rob, I saw your FB and Strava posts about the race - I think if you managed all that then your mental strength is all there. Pass some of that my way, eh?
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I think he'll need a bigger car than he's used to as a) his current car was already too low for him to get in and out of easily and b) there will be walking-related "paraphernalia" needed to help him get in and out of the car, and walk about etc.  Not making any decisions as to what the car is yet though, but just trying to get the paperwork in place so he can go and order one when he's ready.

Cal, it'll be good to see some friends, I'm sure.  Hopefully that will help get you some of your mojo back.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - LOL at the pecan pies and ice cream.  You'll soon be back to focused training so don't be so hard on yourself.

It will do you good to be out with your friends especially doing your coastering again.

Big G - maybe you'll have to take your Dad around the dealerships to practise getting in and out of the vehicle to find the most suitable.
    He'll have to give up the Morgan then 😉
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-I've been in a similar situation the last week or 2,was hoping the race would get my mojo back but not as of yet.
    Shades-Windermere replied,lot of waffle but no changes,said it is in line with run britain guidance and recommend runners to be self sufficient,they are supplying bottles at the start if people want to carry one.
    Decided to get physio to see if I can get to the bottom,unfortunately I have to wait 2 weeks due to my shifts but at least its on the way,be funny when he says don't run for a while and I say "just the windermere marathon on Sunday then" :smile:
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that's a shame about Windermere, I did say they could be a bit jobsworth.  Maybe when they're holding the 10 in 10 the runners there might talk some sense into them.

Worcester are also cutting drink stations, there will be 2 for the half and 4 for the full and they're reasonably spaced out.   They have said there will be more if the weather is warm.

Good idea to see the physio even though you have to wait for the appointment.   Would be good to get a diagnosis.  The physio might say it's not serious and to carry on with your races, which will take the worry away. 

It happened to me when training for my 2nd marathon, I'd had an ankle injury for months, he told me to run the marathon and through the pain I was getting at 8 miles.  I did and never had a problem again with that injury.

One calendar month until DD. 😟 😩 It's going to take a miracle for me to recover my form by then.  But ever the optimist I'm not writing it off yet, the transfer list is moving quickly and I expect by the time I make a decision it will be clear, but it's not about the money.   
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Organisers have said marathon course likely to be 8 loops of 5k plus a bit. I really am very nervous about the loop element. I’ve never run loops of anything before really and when running I feel like a big part of me being able to manage lots of miles is by looking around and taking in the views. Maybe that’s offset by chatting to folks but again, having trained exclusively solo since I started running, I’m not sure about that either! Anyway I’m looking forward to it but the loops scare me more than the distance at the minute. 

10 miles at lunch. No vax effects at all bar a sore arm. Felt good and no niggles. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture-Some people enjoy talking to others in a race,I'm very anti social,not purposely I just concentrate on myself.
    Easy for me to say,but I honestly think you'll be fine with the loops,when I'm racing I could be anywhere and the views don't bother me,just think of the positives,plenty of drinks and aid,you only have to count to 8 loops,not 26 miles,lots of people to overtake to keep you going,if the weather is bad you will have protection with lots of people around.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Ian - Yes other positives is that it’s also completely flat and on tarmac and they are waiting for government guidance on the 10th of May to see about having spectators which would be grand. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - don't worry about the loops, a 3.1 mile loop is a big loop and there are advantages as Ian has said.   You also won't get lost, loos available should you need them.   You'll know exactly where the drink station is so you'll know how far to your next drink.   You'll have others to run with and overtake, which I'm sure you will do.   It's good to exchange the odd word with other runners too and often you can develop quite a camaraderie with other runners without speaking much or at all.

Great news that your 2nd jab hasn't affected you.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Just seen the Cocodona 250 is entering the 3rd day,leader had completed 190m in 2 days  :# some people are crazy.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Ian - I know you were looking to do other ultras, are you thinking about doing something like the Cocodona?  ;)

8 miles this morning.   Although I had no achilles pain yesterday I decided to do flat today and planned to do hilly tomorrow.   But on today's flat run I had a few twinges in the first mile then was OK until mile 5 and then I had constant discomfort for the rest of the run, probably a 2-3 on the pain score.   By the end of the run the pain was more in my ankle than achilles, I have thought that this niggle didn't really seem like achilles trouble.   I haven't done a leg session in the gym this week so it's the running that is making it worse, will strap my ankle today.   Looks like I may be a DNS for Worcester and DD 😭
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Really sorry to hear that, Shades :(   Not what I wanted to read this morning :(   Is it sore first thing in the morning?

Ian, I've been dipping in and out of it too.  Bonkers!

I decided not to go Trotters last night - hammie just very slightly sore, and although I really enjoy those sessions I decided not to risk it.  Instead I did a couple of hours on the bike last night, and a 10-mile run this morning and enjoyed both.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - no, it's not sore in the morning and no amount of prodding can find the source in the achilles.  This makes me think it's referred pain from my ankle.    I've strapped my ankle up now.   I won't run tomorrow.

Hope that hammie is OK.  I think you should stay away from the speed sessions pre DD just as a precaution. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Forgot to say that the high point of my morning was seeing a barn owl, so beautiful.   Close to where I saw one last year, or could have been the year before.   I understand that to see them in daylight is when they're hunting and need lots of food to feed the offspring.