Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture-not everyone races tons of marathons here,I do about 6 a year usually,3 spring 3 Autumn,4 are usually target races and 2 are fun races.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    RCouture, I took a while to get going with them though.  2010 was my first one (London) and I didn’t enjoy it and it was a "never again" moment, finishing in 5:15!  I've really missed the travelling side of it this last year.  A few of the regulars I was speaking to at the weekend seem to be hoping to go to Nice, which I've never done, but I'm still not too comfortable booking anything abroad just yet.  Hopefully soon though but we'll see.  I don't/can't race them all though, although some do quite a lot more than me and post very good times every other week or so.

Shades, yes, I have two black nails too and I'll definitely lose at least one of them.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - that's what I do re HRM in races, I've now built up enough stats to sometimes run to HR but I wear it mainly for post race analysis.

Yes, I do have A races but that doesn't affect the other races I do.   If I do a traditional taper I will have a terrible race, just doesn't work for me.  I usually recover fairly quickly and I have in the past run 2 marathon PB's on consecutive weeks. 

Big G - is that the Nice race on November?   Usually very expensive re accommodation etc but supposed to be a lovely race.
    But needs a medical certificate, I suspect post pandemic the price has doubled. 🤨

I've painted my toenails!  
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    5 easy miles this morning, lovely morning but still a bit chilly.  Saw 2 families of Canada geese having their breakfast in the farmer's field, 8 goslings between them, all too young to fly so the parents must have walked them there from a pond in the next field.

Pilates today, first class this year  :)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, it's the November race they were talking about.  I've never looked at it, and yes the costs associated with the medical cert would put me off.  It was quite nice hearing about people's race plans though, especially around the foreign travel aspect.  It did get my juices flowing a bit, but still not quite ready to book one abroad yet.  I see that new RED company local to us will be announcing their plans today, much closer to home!  Depending on when they are, I will probably sign up for one.

Rest day today, but I've taken Tigg out for a walk.  Well, I stood in a field and threw the ball for him about 30 times, which has tired him until late afternoon :)  I will walk up to work with OH a bit later and will probably stop for breakfast somewhere on the way back.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    No running from me... been on antibiotics for the gum and that took it out of me a bit. I could use some advice, though. Looking for some advice. Due to my advancing age 😔 my gums are starting to recede I now have a honking great gap between my top back molar and my wisdom tooth which is acting as a trap for food and thus, bacteria (even with careful flossing). Although the wisdom tooth itself is healthy, my dentist wants to take it out as she says the problem will only get worse. On the one hand, I'm not keen to lose a healthy tooth, but on the other, it has been affecting my health and (left untreated) could endanger the tooth in front of it. So I'm wondering if any of you have had teeth out and what the pros and cons, recovery time and other ways it could impact running. Cheers.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-I had 2 out in January,it took me 3 or 4 days to recover fully,day of and after I did no exercise at all,2nd day I went for a walk,if I remember right I'd say the 3rd day I could go for a gentle run,but I would suggest all easy runs for a few days,just because you don't want the blood moving round too fast.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I've just asked RED if the course is tarmac, I think it is, just need it confirmed.  Edit, she's just replied, mostly tarmac, can get muddy in bad weather in places, flat.

Cal - I don't think your dentist would suggest removing it without good cause.   I would get it done now rather than when you're in full marathon training.  I had one removed a few years ago and although it's not pleasant for a day or so being careful, it soon healed and I'm a few years older than you.

Pilates was great but so showed up what I've lost core and strength wise over lockdown.   Mostly did joint mobilisation.   
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I'll give it some thought.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - it's something I'd want to put off doing too.   My dentist did offer to remove a tooth that needs to come out at some time, but I declined.  However that tooth isn't causing my any problems and I haven't had any infection or pain.

Ian - how did you get on at the physio?

5 miles this morning, chilly but nice morning.   I ran this route about a week ago and the cow parsley has grown at least 2 feet since then, all that rain I guess.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Physio is this morning,typical my leg has been good the last few days,still some weakness there so will explain how it was at it's worst and see what he says.Got my second jab last night,sneaked in a day earlier so all good now.
    Rcouture-When I read back I realised how I've been sucked in to this,thinking 6 in a year isn't many,to the vast majority of people,even runners,6 is a lot,just on here it doesn't seem many.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Shades - Nice 5 miles

Ian - I was thinking that 6 a year sounded a lot! I don’t know how I’d manage that. Assuming that after this race I don’t decide that I never want to do a marathon again, I’m not quite sure how I’d progress since I don’t think I can fit many more miles into life. Especially with things opening up and having even less time with commuting and travel etc... Anyway will work that out when I get to it. 

Didn’t run yesterday so will go out for an easy 6 later. I have no idea if this taper is going well or not and I’m wondering a bit if I’ve not suffered from not having an actual marathon plan for this period. Legs feel fine but not particularly better than usual and my RHR has weirdly been elevated the last couple of days. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal/Shades, I had a conversation with a dentist about a 18 months ago where he offered to take a  wisdom tooth out there and then, but I said "errm, no thanks" at that point.  If I get another infection though, he said he won't prescribe antibiotics again so at some point it'll come out I'd imagine.

No running yesterday and just 4.5 miles this morning with Tigg.  Nice weather out this morning. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately I had an infection above a bridge so had to get then out to get to it,I ended up on a drip in hospital before I got it treated so was time to go.
    Rcouture-If you decide to do more,don't worry you'll have loads of improvement yet,just keeping to your usual mileage will get you improvements as you get used to the distance.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - sorry, I thought it was Tuesday your physio visit.   You still need to know what the injury is, if only for future avoidance.

Great news on your 2nd jab, I believe that you should almost immediately now have a Covid passport on your NHS app for travel   :)

Ian/Rcouture - for many one marathon a year is one too many  ;)

Rcouture - when running 15-20 a year then I don't do any long runs for the period I'm racing, which would normally be April-October so I'm spending less time training than if I was doing a traditional preparation for one or two marathons a year.   

Many runners only intend to run one marathon, bucket list item.   Some hate it and never do another, others finish the first one and then there is a predictable depression post race as the goal you've been working so hard (and so long) for has now passed.   The usual cure is to enter another marathon, and there's often those thoughts that 'if only' the weather had been better, the course was more to my liking etc. etc., and that becomes 'next time'.

Your taper sounds perfectly normal.

Big G - it's next time for both of us re the tooth extraction then. 😭   

Have you entered the RED event/s?    I've entered the Saturday and put down ultra, not sure why I did that, but I know on the day I can do whatever distance I want.

Life is getting back to normal, took me 10 minutes to drive the half mile home from the supermarket   :#
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    To be clear my aim would be to do a bunch more marathons. I was just highlighting the risk I have a horrible experience and decide it’s not for me. Unlikely though as I love running and there will always be something to chase. 

Ian - Good news on second dose. I haven’t looked into my Covid passport thing on the app but that’s a reminder I need to do that. 
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Ian - Also how are you getting on with the Invincibles? I have an itch to buy new shoes 😬
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades/rcouture-It was on there last night so really quick.I like you can print it aswell,I have had a phone break on holiday before so good to have a paper copy just in case.
    Physio went OK,didn't say to stop running which is their usual stock answer,not sure what the actual injury is,but he says I have a lot of scar tissue around the ligament which could be causing it so we are going to try and break that up,and he said my left leg is quite weak compared to the right so some strength exercises for that leg, got 4 more sessions booked in then we will go from there. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - you did say that you wanted to do some shorter races after your marathon and when you've recovered that's a good time to do some shorter stuff and you should get a few PB's too.   Hopefully there will be more marathons being announced by then and you can look around and see what appeals to you.

I think you've got a deferred entry for Newport haven't you?.

Ian - that's a promising physio assessment.  There's the risk of not fully healing from previous injuries will eventually cause you more problems so a good chance to deal with that now.

It's only taken a week but finally got my phone synced with my Garmin.   After about ten notifications from my Garmin with a passcode, nine failed and the tenth worked.   :#
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Shades - I’ve deferred Newport to 2022 but I have Brighton in September. Doubt I will do that though so soon after the first but will see. Yes would like to cement some PBs at 5k-Half distance over the summer which should hopefully mean I can reduce mileage a bit for more family time. I can then find another marathon for the spring. Would like the experience of a big city one after 8 loops around a racetrack! Not sure what majors will be available in the spring though. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-By the sounds of it I think that's what's happened here,the tissue from when my achilles was bad has added up,I ran with it for about 30 months to be fair so probably a fair bit of scar tissue there.
    Rcouture-There should be plenty of races to choose from by the spring.Newport is spring but apart from the start and finish and I bit in major? It is mainly country.Manchester is usually spring and very well supported for most of the race.
    I want to do Boston but 2022 is easter weekend and I cannot get that off,so looks like 2023 for that.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, I've entered the RED events.  I've actually entered both.....it's quite possible I may end up regretting that rash decision :)  I've today also been in touch with Running Miles and they've confirmed I've got two entries for their events, which I'll need to look into using over the coming months, for which I'll need a Travelodge.

Ian, good news you're able to run.  That's what us runners like to hear :)  

RCouture, I'd say you definitely got PBs in you off of your marathon training.  In terms of mileage and managing time etc, you can make large improvements off of your kind of mileage, so need to worry about that.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Ian - Yes will look into Manchester. Not sure if any of the world majors will be on in the spring? I can’t keep up with all the deferrals and cancellations. 

Big G - That’s good to know. Hopefully with just more time around this mileage there should be progress. 

6 miles at lunch. Run felt crap with higher HR than I wanted. Felt heavy legged and had a stitch for most of it which I never usually have. Moan over. Can’t wait to get racing, this taper business is not for me!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - well you have the option of Brighton  if you want an autumn marathon.

I don't suppose we'll know until the autumn how realistic it is for the usual spring marathons to go ahead.

Ian - this is a good opportunity to finally get shot of that niggly achilles and related problems. 

You'll have to settle for Boston UK next year then  ;)

Big G - ha, ha I thought I was daft putting the ultra, but that looks lightweight compared to the double.  The pics of the route makes it look like Plym Trail without the hills.    It's the laps that might be a struggle though.
    You're getting close to your 100th now, any tentative plans?

I forgot I had a deferred entry with Infinity, so I've signed up for one of their events in October.  It's over the border into Wales, feels quite daring.  :o
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I've no firm plans for the 100th.  Funnily enough, Chair was asking me the same thing on Sunday and was asking if I was going to aim for DD next year.  I've always said "no chance" to that, but he did say "well, you don't have to race it - just enjoy it", which is true.  He did say that if he had his time again he wouldn't have "raced" DD as his 100th, but would have enjoyed it, plus of course, for him, he had all his RD duties on top of actually running the event.  I'd still really like to tie it in with one abroad, but again it's difficult to plan currently.  The travelling abroad and visiting new places is a huge part of it for me.

Regarding the RED events, for me in a way it's much more preferable doing those two than travelling all the way to MK to run around a lake for a couple of days, and that was the main thing in my mind when I entered them. 

After grinding to a halt on 82 in March last year I've done 3 this year, so all being well DD will be 86.  I've got 4 booked (1xPlym Trail, 2xRED, 1x Dorney Lake) so if I get those done I'll be in the "nervous nineties".
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I hope so,the achilles has been good for about 6 months now but clearly there's an underlying issue on my left leg as that's always the injured one.
    Rcouture-I'd hope we are back to normal by next year but who knows,out of the spring ones tokyo is very hard to get in,London unless you want to fundraise,think your gfa would be about 3 so tough,but Boston might be in your range if you fancy it?
    Had an enjoyable 7 miles in the sun today,no issues with vaccine side effect yet so all good there hopefully.
  • Windermere final details are in
    The event will not have a mass start. Runners will start at a pre-booked time between 8.00am and 10.00am. The start will be socially distant with runners crossing the line at a rate of 40 runners per 5 minutes.
    In line with UK Athletics COVID guidelines we have reduced contact points by having fewer refreshment stations. Water will be available at registration for a final drink before setting off. There will be refreshment stations at the following locations:
    1. YMCA South Camp entrance, Lakeside - 10 miles
    2. United Utilities entrance, A592 - 16 miles
    3. Brockhole north entrance, A591 - 23 miles
    Each station will have bottled water and cups of VOOM Hydrate Smart (hypotonic electrolyte drink). There will be space at each station for you to safely fill your own water carrying system if you choose
    All runners must be past Newby Bridge (13 miles) by 1.00pm. Any runners not at this point by then will be asked to retire from the event.

There will be a sweep minibus travelling at the rear of the race at a 15 minute mile pace, leaving the start at 9.30am.

The cut off and sweep bus is new???? Don't recall that being a thing usually.
    I skipped the less interesting stuff above e.g. stay in car until 15 mins before start time, takes 5 mins to register (do this on way to start) also meant to leave as soon as capable of doing so. Water and bananas at finish so er i'll skip that and go to my bag in car which will have a FGS shake and food of some sort.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Rcouture - tapering is hard.   On paper it looks a most enjoyable part of the race preparation, in reality it's tough.

Big G - I guess you can't really make firm plans for your 100th right now so that should mean less stress for you in the nervous nineties.   It's only once the plan is in place and announced that it becomes a bit stressful.   😱

I had to cram a few in to get my numbers right when I did my 100th, including a double starting with an ultra that turned out to be hottest day in Wiltshire for 50 years.  I've only been sick a few times during/post race and that was one of them.   Then drove to Wales and marathon the next day, still feeling rough on the start line.

I think DD is a tricky race to choose, if you had a niggle and had to walk some of it would you make the cut offs, or more importantly would you enjoy it.   Whatever event you choose it should be for you not for the Trotters, so whatever is your favourite, even if that's a trip away with OH, there'll most likely be some 100MC there to celebrate with you and do the presentations.  100th is important, 200th/300th etc are not.

You're right, a double of RED events is far better than a trek to MK to go around TBL  ;)

Ian - great news re no after effects of 2nd jab.   I've got my 2nd jab on Saturday.

Keith - thanks for that.   Sheer madness and stupidity not to have more drink stations.   Part of the blame I put on RB and EA, but Brathay organisers should use their common sense.   If I had to reduce water stations I'd put them at 5/10/15/20/23.   It's all very well to say runners can refill their bottles, how long is that going to take, it's not like it's an off road ultra where refuelling/refilling is an accepted part of the process.   Fortunately the weather looks cold so that's a bonus re the lack of water.

No, I don't remember the cut off time either, not sure about the minibus. 

6 miles this morning, wind is starting to pick up, we have storm force winds for the next 36 hours or so.  Nearly the end of May and I'm still wearing winter kit for my runs and still got the heating on.  :/

Gym later.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, the weather is odd for this time of year.  I did 6 miles this morning and the wind was picking up, then I walked to work with OH and Tigg, and it rained quite heavily as Tigg and I were walking around the park the park on the way back.  Not sure if you're following the Giro, but I think the stage yesterday was in everyone's diaries as "one to watch", and it was a great stage with gravel section etc.

Keith/Ian, what do you think you'll do about the water situation at Windermere?  Take a bottle in a belt, or something else?
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I'll probably carry a sis drink with me,done it a few times so can get plenty of carbs in as well as water.