Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes that was Seville,loved the city though,only problem is very limited flights there at the minute so will have to wait until more become available and hope the race doesn't sell out,50% sold on the first day.
    Got a few things on today so dropped my car for its mot,got the day wrong yesterday,then ran home so 5m done, will have to run later,probably better to split it anyway as I have a half on Sunday,hard to predict a pace,need sub 90 really if I'm in 3:15 shape so will probably go off at 1:25 pace 😅 
  • You seem to have very different weather today, Shades...it's still hot here, though there was a little bit of a breeze and, thanks to the incoming Autumn, it was a little cooler this morning when I went out.

I noticed empty shelves at Waitrose yesterday (I don't usually shop there for budgetary reasons, but I wanted ice cream and the selection at Sainsbury's is crap). Most of the other supermarkets have been fine, though.

Today's effort was a 9 mile run with a section I call Alphabet fartlek (there's a series of roads in Tooting with alphabetical names, running from Ascot to Jersey, so I do a zig zag sort of thing, with short jog recoveries at each end). Rather enjoyed it as it hadn't got hot yet.

After breakfast I then went to the gym for some upper body weights. I am still no nearer to being able to do a pull-up, but never mind.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - airlines aren't announcing flights well in advance any more, can't blame them.

Maybe the rush to enter Seville was a lot of runners not willing to pay the 120 Euro for Valencia.

That's good timing for your half on Sunday re marathon prediction for London.   Is your OH doing the half too?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - we only had a bit of rain but thunderstorms and flooding in other parts of Devon, not that far from me.  Rain has freshened up the atmosphere and damped down the dustiness.  It's cooler too, much more pleasant.

I don't know if Lidl's empty shelves is a logistical problem or lack of staff in the shop.   The shop is too small for the amount of footfall now and I think keeping the shelves full is an ongoing problem.
    I usually pop into Asda once a week for a couple of things and shelves all well stocked there as is Aldi where I usually do my main shop.

You're getting some decent mileage in.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes OH is racing Sunday with me,hope the legs feel better as they feel sore today.
    Just under 10 after picking my car up,passed mot so all good,really hot and humid here,bbc says 29° so similar to temps last week.15 for the day means I'm hoping to get 40+ in this week.
  • Cal - The winter run has never appealed to me much but can see the appeal as you say it’s a charity fundraiser really although most London road 10k are £30+ so it’s probably more about getting runners to raise money for charity.

rcouture great progress on the long run, good luck with the 10k hopefully a pb on the cards.

shades I saw the email about sub sports, looks like they are closing down? I only got one pair of compression socks, and where my blood clot leg is still bigger the socks don’t stay up.  

Ian good news on the car MOT passing that must mean more kit or races! 

In Tesco Saturday and yesterday some of the fresh produce were empty, different things each time and when I was in Asda last week seemed the same issue, managed to get what I wanted or alternatives.

nice bit of post yesterday from Cornwall, elle caught doing 71 in a 60 so waiting to find out if it’s a speed awareness course or points and a fine. She must have been in a rush to get back to see me. 

After saturdays run my legs were in a mess, Saturday night I cramped up several times when I moved in my sleep and everything was tight for a few days.  Managed to get 5 miles tonight and no major issues, will try a bit longer on Saturday before deciding about CW50 the following week 

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - good news on the MOT and enabling you to get a double run in.   :)

Robert - yes, email from Subsports said they're closing down, they've been winding down for a while, hence my £10 bargains last year and now £8.   I think they have a new company or a connection with another sportswear company as I had a couple of emails last year, but not stuff that appealed to me and not compression wear.   That's not good about those compression socks, I've only bought tops and tights, never tried the socks.

That's not the memory of a Cornish holiday that anyone wants, being caught speeding.   I guess speed awareness courses are perhaps online now?   Whatever the punishment, it won't be cheap.  :disappointed:

Wonder why you had that reaction to your training, but good you've recovered.  Hope your run goes well this weekend and you'll be feeling positive about CW50.

8 hilly miles this morning, very humid 97%, but gorgeous refreshing rain.    There were a couple of torrential showers before I went out but whilst running it was just light rain on and off which was pleasant.   We desperately needed rain as a lot of the grass was getting burnt, I like to see it lush and green.

Gym later
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Very humid here in Bath too Shades. Noticeably different to my runs up in Scotland. 

Robert, fingers crossed your runs over the next few days go well. 

Ian, great to read about your marathon plans!

Cal, it was hot here in Bath yesterday too, although there are some light showers here today. 

We made our way down to Bath yesterday. We made first use of our Motorhome Club membership as they have 20% off at Costa at Road Chef services. I only remembered when I parked up but it brings the price down to something more similar to high street prices.  Got to Bath around 2pm and then walked into town along the river and cycle paths etc. Yesterday morning, I picked up 4 apples from the orchard of the place we were staying and OH rustled up a pud in the evening using a couple of those. 

This morning I did 8 miles (4 out, 4 back) and went through both the Two Tunnels, the second of which is more or less a mile long. Very pleasant run out. There’s a bakery about 0.5 mile away from the site that I spotted yesterday so I went in and got some pastries for breakfast and pasties for lunch :)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - worth getting that discount, I always have to remind myself about using my AA card for discount at some of the motorway services too.

Glad you got to try out the tunnels, I think the long tunnel is something quite special.  You always had a good eye for sourcing the local pastries  ;)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, this also gives good discounts on things like Mountain Warehouse, Cotswolds, Runners Need and genuine very good deals on ferries to Europe. Yes, the tunnels were very impressive to run through. I timed it to miss most of the kids on their way to school, and there were lots of runners and commuters going to work. I really enjoyed it. Annoying hammie grumble.....again.....though. It’s been there on and off since DD. 
  • Big G - Sounds like you’ve really had an idyllic holiday 

7 miles for me before lunch. Was slow versus recent runs which I think is down to it being quite humid today. Took a rest day yesterday as was way too hot and had slept badly. Will do another short one tomorrow before 10k race on Saturday. I need to get a long run in on the Sunday. Even though this will be a cutback week at maybe 15 miles or so, I’m just wondering if it’s sensible to do a long run the day after a race?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - good discounts especially for the ferries which you are likely to use.

I hear travel to NL is allowed now for visits to family, must be good news for your OH.

Rcouture - I think best to wait and see how the legs are the next day.   You could run a gentle 10 miles and then do the same on the next day too, another 10 miles.   You don't 'have' to do a long run every week, many do their long runs once a fortnight.
  • Shades - Fair enough. I always feel like I’m slacking if I miss a weekend long run. I also quite enjoy them. To be fair I did have a 19 miler and a 17 miler within 6 days of each other last week so not the end of the world if this weekend is lighter. 
  • Rcouture, I wouldn't worry. I'm fitting mine in when I can.
    Rob, hope everything goes well and you can do your 50.

Got my email from Manchester with my start time which is...11am?!!! :rage: Apparently they are running the half marathon at the same time (there's usually 6 months separating them) and in their infinite wisdom, have decided to set that one off first. Idiots. So unhappy. Some of the slower people aren't getting off until midday! Almost tempted to bin it off but the only other viable option is Liverpool again as Yorkshire is already sold out, and Liverpool has the risk of that headwind.

Absolutely dreadful sleep last night (I mean, all my sleeps recently have been poor, but last night was especially bad...took two hours to fall asleep and then woke up constantly) I just did a four mile recovery run at super slowmo pace (12:30 miles or so). Also went to the gym for some light leggy rehab stuff.
    Cardiologist tomorrow. Yay.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-OH is starting at 10.45,that's better for us as it means we can travel over on the day then I can drop her off and get my viewing spot ready.
    Rob-Hope you recover well.
    Rcouture-Need to be careful of you do a long run after a race,might find the pace is a lot slower and you don't want to demoralise yourself, you're doing really good on long runs now so I wouldn't worry about it.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - you still have quite a few weekends before Florence to do those long runs.   I would see how you feel on Sunday and decide then.

Cal - I don't suppose this warm and humid weather is doing anything for your sleeping either.

Will be good to get that cardiology appointment done, hope it goes well.

I've heard quite a few complaints about Manchester's idiotic starting times.  It would make sense to start the marathon runners off before the half marathon runners.   They've not considered that by starting slower runners in the marathon last of all, many will finish late and still need to travel home for work the next day.

If you're looking for an alternative Chelmsford is on the 17th October, I don't know if it's full.
  • Yeah, I was super hot last night and unfortunately can't change the sheets on my bed as the other set are still in the wash bag (since a wash costs me £15 I try not to do one very week so next laundry trip won't be until Monday). I think I need more bedding.

And yes, you'd think. Liverpool do it this way too but with a 9am half/10am marathon time it's not quite as bad. Still stupid though, as it's usually in May so it can be hot. At least I can hope October in Manchester won't be too warm, but you never know do you?
    I've messaged Colin to see how that affects him, since he isn't off work as far as I know.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Spoke to soon,yesterday the weather was amazing,today I've seen the worst rain I've ever seen,roads completely flooded,cars submerged to the window in a couple of roads,glad we live on a hill
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Cal - yes, the timing of Liverpool's marathon start is sensible, Manchester has the slower runners starting at noon, which means if they take six hours they don't finish until 6pm, crazy.

Years ago IOW used to be a 1pm start on a Saturday, but that was to allow runners time to get to travel there, I only did it once when it was that late start.   I stayed to have dinner with friends and then travelled home, didn't get home until 1 a.m., pre satnav I got lost on the way home in the dark in Poole.   I ran Dartmoor Vale at 9 a.m. on the Sunday morning.    IOW changed it after that to a morning start.

Langdale used to be noon start, I think the half used to start at the same time.   For marathoners it was a late finish and I doubled it once with Tenby marathon so didn't get to Wales until after midnight, was a tiring weekend, but fun.   

Ian - I curse the hill I live on when finishing a run but it's better than risking flooding.

I did a leg/glutes specific session in the gym yesterday and did push the weights to my limit on a few exercises.   Was fine afterwards but I did get cramp in my calf during the night and as it woke me it took me a little while to remember how to ease it, can't remember the last time I had cramp.    It's left me with a sore calf so I've decided to take a rest day today.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Incidentally Langdale is on Saturday 23rd October if anyone fancies it, fabulous race. 
  • Ian - That sounds a bit nuts. Hopefully you’ll still have some running routes intact in the near term

Shades - Hope the calf is just a minor niggle. Do you think you will start doing these double marathon weekends regularly again? 

5 miles before work this morning. HR incredibly low I guess because it was 5:30am so I was barely awake. Conversely the legs weren’t feeling it as usual at that time in the morning. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture  - I was going to tape up my calf as it was quite sore when I got up, but it's easing as I move around so I think it's just the remnants of the cramping.

No, not intending to do any more marathons on consecutive days, I gave that up a few years ago, when I stopped chasing numbers.    Doing doubles is good fun and makes for an enjoyable weekend, especially if they're in different venues, used to really enjoy doing North Dorset and then flying to Belfast for another marathon the next day as two completely different type of road marathons.   The part I don't like is standing on a start line of day 2 with tired legs as it takes quite a few miles to get your legs back to near normality.   Doing doubles like that also makes for expensive weekends too and as I no longer work I need to stick to a budget.

You seem to train better in the afternoons, don't you?
  • Shades - I am not a morning person no which isn’t ideal for someone whose work has started at 6:30am for the last 15 years. 

I am really not excited by this 10k tomorrow. I think having now signed up for the marathon, it feels out of place. I think I won’t go wild if I’m not feeling it on the day, PB potential or otherwise. 

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - I think you should run a conservative PB tomorrow, just a small PB to show that you're in good shape but not eyeballs out.   Good luck.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I haven’t seen that about travel to NL, Shades. I’ll check more when I’m back at home but from a quick look I didn’t spot any changes in the restrictions and we’d still have to quarantine for 10 days. I was looking at Langdale but I’m still considering Newport which I think is on the same day. 

We went out for a pub meal last night which was good. Just a burger but we enjoyed it. 

Up late today but I got 6 miles in (and got pastries on the way back...) and was showered and ready in time for the 11am check out.  Heading home today, via Cheddar Gorge, which I haven’t been to since I was a kid. The last couple of weeks have been a good test of the van and it’s held up well :) Air con doesn’t work but the garage have agreed to regas that for us. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I've just checked and visits to family in the NL are allowed, but it might be if family are ill.  But it does say the quarantine can be reduced to 5 days with tests for all vaccinated.  It's such a faff and subject to change so probably visiting a neutral country is still a better option.

Newport is the day after Langdale, so you can do Newport on your way home.   :)   That would be a good double.

There are resurfacing works on the A380, you might get a delay just a few miles from home.   :/
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture-I am in at 5 some days,6 the majority yet I hate running in the morning,if I run before 12 I struggle amd hate most of it.
    Usual after work 7 today,the roads I ran on weren't too bad despite the weather yesterday,just a few roads I had to be careful of a splashing.Felt a bit lethargic at first so had a couple of faster kms and felt OK after that.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I think you were our last london racer.I know it plays havoc with gps, what did you get the course measuring at out of interest?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I got 26.8 on the day. 2017 seems a long time ago now!

Got home ok although it took a long time. Only 110 miles or so, but bad weather, accidents and roadworks all made it a slow drive. But we did a circular walk around Cheddar Gorge on the way home, up and down both sides of the gorge. We saw a lady who was down with a suspected broken leg :( It was very slippery but her husband was there and had called emergency services. No idea how they would rescue her from there though. 
  • Big G, sounds like a wonderful break - I've enjoyed the photos. Not good for the lady that broke her leg though, oof.
    Good luck with the 10K, Rcouture. Which one is it?

Had my echo done today. They take a lot longer than an ECG. I guess it will take longer to analyse too so no idea when I will find out what's what. I'll likely get a phone consult. 
    Read on FB today about a guy who felt like he had a bit of a tight chest during a half marathon, slowed down a little but finished, then went to A&E and he'd had a silent heart attack. They kept him in and put a stent in. Scary.  :o