Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, you did very well not to catch Covid from Elle, and great news she's back at work now.  Is she feeling more or less back to normal, or still some lingering symptoms?

Ian, that is a good run from you.  One of my issues with my planned route to 100 is that I don't have any hilly events in there in the run up to DD, so I will have to try and make sure I do some hilly training runs.

Shades, I do have one more pencilled in for December - Running Miles Christmas Challenge, 16th December.   Also, your table prompted me to double check to make sure I had the correct date, but the Plym Trail one is on 12th December.  It is a bit of a  shame as it is the same day as Trotters John Scott Trophy that I am sorting out the handicaps for, but the marathon means I can't get to the Trotters event or meal without it being too much of a rush.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - you can always spend the whole of May doing hilly events, if you can find some that is.  ;)

Corrections/additions to list done.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I am in Tavy 13, so that will have to do for specific training DD ;)   Ha ha, not really, I will do what I can.  I thought I was doing quite well this year as I have done over 100000ft of elevation this year (according to Strava), which is normal for me, but when I look at some Newton Abbot-based Trotters who do similar (or less) mileage to me, they have done more elevation.  For example, I have done 1750 miles/108000ft, whereas JackiW has done 1660 miles but 135000ft, which is 25% more elevation on a bit less mileage.  My issue is that the seafront is obviously flat, and most of my runs incorporate at least some of the seafront.  
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - Tavy 13 is perfect DD training.    I don't think you can look at cumulative elevation and assume that lots of hill work was done.  :D
     If I run down to Scott's Bridge or Lawes Bridge and back home again that registers about 350 feet of climb, that's Garmin not Strava,  but there aren't any hills on that route, in the winter I would run that twice a week.

Hilly long runs, which will help your marathon flat race speed too.   :)

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I suppose it just means that the likes of JW and the ladies she runs with do generally hillier runs than I do. I know the elevation isn’t exactly accurate but a lot of the terrain on my regular 7 or 10 milers is completely flat. 
  • Ian/Shades...from what I gather, Loch Ness is the ideal training marathon for Boston.

Shades...yeah, ideally I am starting to ramp up to marathon training but it all depends on my stupid ticker. Honestly, I didn't have much of what I would call symptoms until I was told there may be something wrong with me and now I'm hyper-aware of every little thing. Now I don't know if the stuff I'm feeling is actually real or psychological/caused by stressing about there being something wrong as they get stirred up every time I get a letter from the doctor. Anyway, I'm thinking about getting a proper HRM as I've come to the conclusion my watch HR data is worthless and thought you'd be best placed to recommend something. Thing with me is I don't like using a phone so I'd prefer something that didn't require a smartphone to work. I plug my watch into the PC so that's what I'd want for the strap if possible.

I have been feeling spaced out and anxious this week so yesterday was a very slow (12-13 min/mi) 4 mile recovery run. I did go to the gym a bit later from some slow-paced upper body work.
    Today I decided I wasn't going to live in fear of my own body so I went out and ran 9 miles. Still quite slow (around 11 pace though a little quicker for the second half) but I felt OK.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - the downhill at Loch Ness is the first 3 or 4 miles so not much use really as Boston training.

Re heart issues, could you have a telephone call with your GP or the cardiology consultant/department that you're dealing with?   It seems to me that somebody just needs to give you some information/advice on whether there are any risks for you especially as you want to train for your marathon.  NHS are really crap at keeping patients informed.

You don't need a smartphone for an HRM to work.   Just buy one that can be synced to your Garmin.   The only reason I have Garmin on my phone is to avoid plugging my watch into my PC after every run, but you're happy to do that anyway.
    I wouldn't recommend the Garmin Run HRM, I did recommend it before, but I've gone through two of them now.   I've gone back to a Garmin 305 one, never had a problem with it and so easy to change battery.   I did scout around and saw them in eBay.  But you can buy any brand/type that is compatible with Garmin

This is a pic of the one I'm using.   I remove the elastic strap and just tuck it under bra, can't even feel I'm wearing it.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - you could always run up to the TV masts at Marldon  ;)   

I used to run up there for a long Sunday run, but I expect the traffic is too fast and it's probably not a safe road really to run on now.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Looking at the course it starts at 490ft and by 16m it's down to 35ft,then climbs again to 250ft by 21 then down to sea level at the finish,it sounds a fast course if you pace the first half right and do plenty of downhill training.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Forgot to add the climb from 16 to 21 isn't just straight up,there's 4 hills each with a bit of downhill after.
    Just had time for 7 after work,still pretty slow but I'm managing to keep my effort lower now so hopefully the times will eventually pick up again.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I didn't run this morning as we were meeting up with friends for a walk near Dartmoor, but I went along to Trotters this evening for their 3x1-mile with 3-min recovery session.  I didn't go totally all out and I was pleased with 6:13, 6:06, 6:08 for the splits.

It is the Team Time Trial tomorrow on Zwift, on what is called "The Hilly Loop", and it is three laps of that.  I already know it is going to hurt!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I would enjoy the ups and downs of the Boston course.   Easy to see that lack of training or overcooking it early on could make the last 10 miles tough for some runners.

Plenty of time to work on your pace, important base to put in place first.

Big G - you've recovered from your marathon really well, definitely no Long Covid for you.    :)

Where do the Trotters do their speed sessions, Brunel I guess? 

8 miles for me this morning, too dark to go where there's no lights now, so did an abridged version of my town hilly route that I used last year when training for Conne.   My knee niggles a little still so did a flatter version of the route, 526 feet today.   Chilly and at the top of the hills a nasty cutting wind in places.

Stretch class followed by gym this morning.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    RCouture, how are you doing?  When do you fly out?

Cal, sounds a great idea to get a HR monitor. Please note that I’ve not tried it myself but for an affordable one, there is one called Coospo on Amazon which comes recommended by quite a few. Also Wahoo and Polar do one, as well as Garmin. I still use one from an old Garmin 305 but if you do want Running Dynamics I think you’d have to shell out for the newer Garmin (I’ve not tried it myself). I know what you mean about letters coming through the door - not the same, but I had a case ongoing about how Claire died and every time a letter came about that my stress levels shot up a lot and I was like a mad man tearing open the envelope to see what was going on. 

Shades, the only thing I’d say is that it takes me a bit longer to recover in terms of lingering tiredness still hanging around longer that it would usually. It is a small reason that I don’t want to do doubles for now (I don’t particularly like doubles anyway though!!). But, yes, I’ve been very lucky. At Trotters last night I was chatting to a guy around my age - fit and healthy usually, and he’s a golf coach so active. He said it took him about 2 months to feel normal, and able to even try a run, as before that he just had no energy and his legs felt dead. :( I’ve got my booster booked for 22 Dec.  Yes, these sessions are around Brunel and it has been measured out with a wheel, although I don’t think all coaches necessarily know the markings :)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Rcouture - hope the packing is going well, I guess you're travelling out tomorrow.    I hope you have a great weekend and the race goes well.   
    Enjoy the amazing food.   First time I went to Florence we went for a pizza in the evening after the race and it was so good I didn't eat pizza again until I went back to Florence the following year and then couldn't find the same restaurant.

Big G - funny you're using the 305 HRM too, they are definitely the best that Garmin have made.

I thought it might be Brunel you were using for the speedwork and traffic is light in the evening there.

Re recovery, you're doing the right thing not pushing to do doubles too soon.   I've heard folk say about 8 weeks for 100% back to normal.   But you are doing well being able to do mile splits so soon after your race.

I'm going for my booster tomorrow.   Have to go to Torquay.  Don't fancy the drive up to Greendale at Exeter now traffic and roadworks are back to normal.     Daft there's no site in NA, the racecourse is being used by GP surgeries and they haven't contacted me even though my 6 months was up on the 22nd.  Thankfully can book via NHS app.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Not trying to get people to spend money, but Alphafly on sale on the Nike site.  19% off plus an additional 25% for Nike Members using GAME21.  Loads of colours and sizes when I checked, bringing them down to £156-ish depending on the colour choice. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Quidco have cash back as well on Nike purchases, of 18.33% cash back.  Not sure if it will track or not with the other Nike deals mentioned above, but worth a try if interested.  £156 is a good price for those anyway, and the 18.33% would be a nice bonus if it got paid.  
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Thanks,I've just ordered a pair,I meant to say I couldn't decide on my shoes for Barca,I had a pair of Alpha that had over 130m on,and reviews used to say that's enough for racing but I wore them and they still felt really responsive,up to 160 now and still feel good.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I have ordered a pair too.  I have not tried them before, and if I don't like them I will send them back.  It is my birthday soon and I was going to get a pair of Vaporflys anyway using the birthday code, but this Alphafly deal is a very good one (I know they are expensive still, but it is a good price compared to normal).  Good news they still feel responsive after 160 miles.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Peg 37s for £55.  That is a bargain.  Not all sizes in all colour ways though....
  • Big G - Great club session. Can you feel these workouts making a difference at this stage or too early to tell? Much as I put complete faith in MAF, I think a workout once a week has been helpful for me. 

Shades - I have spent more time booking restaurants and thinking about what to eat than the race itself 😬. I think with my injury and the risk of dodgy performance, I’ve barely thought about the race. Don’t know if that’s a bad thing! Good luck with the booster. 

Been very busy between work and getting all the admin sorted for our trip. PCRs done for me and OH and we are fine so that’s good. Grandparents coming over later to mind the girls before our flight tomorrow morning. I’ve bought the Alphaflys too so ‘thanks’ Big G😀. Couldn’t not at that price and I’ve wanted to try them for a while. The things people seem to dislike about them like not being ‘nimble’ (whatever that means) compared to the vaporfly I’m not sure would bother me and apparently they are very good for just locking in a pace forever which I’m more interested in for maras. I’ve seen that some pros wore the alphafly 2 at Boston and Kipchoge has pics of them on his Twitter so maybe their imminente arrival explains the discount?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G/Ian - I wonder how much of '130 miles' is hype via Nike.   Hopefully you'll all get 4 or 5 times that mileage out of them.

Rcouture - that's good that you've been planning restaurants etc for your trip.   I know you'll miss the girls but will be a lovely weekend for you and your OH.

There's no point worrying about the race, you've done enough of that.  

I'm not intending to buy anything in Black Friday sales but I have been tempted by Florence marathon 2022 offer.😃
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I was going to mention the Florence Marathon offer too. 

RCouture, not sure I’m noticing anything with my usual training paces really. They’re still around 9:30-10:00min/mile, which does seem slow, but I do have some pace there at these sessions and I reckon I’m in (or close to...) 5K PB shape. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G/Rcouture-The biggest issue I have with them is getting them on,they are really tight fitting,but when on they feel great,definitely feel a lot more durable than the next %.
  • Big G - Elle’s gone back to work, her chest is a bit sore so taking it easy.  Nice mile splits yesterday!!  

Shades hope the booster goes well tomorrow

Rcouture not worrying about the race is a good thing, have a great trip and enjoy the experience 

refrained from Black Friday purchases, but one I was waiting for was 20% off precision hydration so will get some ordered.

6 miles this evening, nearly didn’t happen but glad I got it done
  • I still have a pair of Alphas unused in the box, RCouture...I guess I'll wear them for Manchester now (assuming I get there in one piece). Good luck and enjoy...Florence is the one city in Italy I didn't visit on my Italian tour in 2015 (granted, it was a theme park tour, not a cultural tour, but we did get to visit Pisa, Venice, Rome and Pompeii).

Rob, good Elle is starting to feel better. I know several people in my club who've had it and some are still suffering, so I hope she takes it easy.

5 miles yesterday with strides in the last mile. Heart didn't explode so guess I'm OK for parkrun. :lol:
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - smart buying there, waiting for the Black Friday offer that you needed.

Well done getting out for a run when it nearly didn't happen.

Cal - well if you want a Black Friday offer Florence entry is €30 to €35 for 2022, usually last Sunday in November.  Beautiful place to visit.   The only reason I haven't entered is that from down here not easy to get flights at that time of year, last time I had to go from Heathrow.   I still might go though.

8 miles this morning, chilly morning but once we'd had a heavy shower of rain it warmed up a couple of degrees.   Very dark, had to do most of my run where there were street lights.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - when I did Florence they had gluten free drink stations as well as the usual drink stations.
  • I'm not looking at any foreign marathons next year...decided against Chicago now. Not going to risk losing more money until I know what's going to happen health-wise, in case I need a procedure or something.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I think that's a sensible decision.   Only because you can do without the additional angst of not knowing at this time what the outcome of the monitoring in February might be.
    All being well you'll still have plenty time to book an autumn trip if you fancy it.

Been for my booster which was booked for 11am, had actual jab at 11:02.  Due to a broken down lorry and the traffic backed up I only arrived 2 minutes before so I sailed through, very efficient.   Those arriving too early were made to line up in a long queue outside.
    Have had Pfizer this time, AZ for my previous jabs.

• Ordered myself a cheapy Coospo HRM from Amazon...good reviews for it. (Thanks Big G).
    When I was doing my weights in the gym this morning my watch was giving me really dumb readings - it just doesn't seem to cope with me doing weights. It was saying 160 at one point and I took my pulse manually and it was literally half that. So I do wonder if the running HR it gives me is just as silly or if there's a grain of truth. I guess we'll see.

Getting my flu jab in a couple of weeks...due for a Covid booster but still not been asked to come.